BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Bike value question

4K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  JStrube 
#1 ·
My 2016 RT is up for sale with only 1154 miles on it. Lifestyle change has compelled me to sell. KBB and NADA values differ and neither offers private party values nor will let me enter mileage, assuming average mileage for the model year. It has the Premium package with audio and all the rest of the convenience items except central locking. I’m asking $14999 with room to negotiate but am hesitant to go below $14,500. I’ve been offered up to $11,500. Am I asking too much or am I getting lowballed? TIA.

#2 ·
I'd start by taking a look on CycleTrader.com and see what other 2016's are asking. You also didn't say how many accessories and packages your bike has. So it's hard to make a comparison.

For me, I go with NADA. But that's because all of our local banks use them as their source when taking a loan. Your area may be different.

#3 ·
I looked up my bike a couple of weeks ago and it's in the $10K range for trade-in value. I paid $23K+ in January/Feb 2017 and technically it's still only two years old since not all the 2020s are on the floor yet. I would give it to a friend before I take that little on it, so imho, you can get what it's worth, but only with face-to-face discussions. I have a friend who has an old 90's or early 2000's model GS; he wants $6,500 or $7,500 for it, much more than blue book value, but if I had the money, I'd buy it asap. That's because I know how he cares for his bikes. So imho, if you work it you may get what you want. Good luck.

#4 ·
It has the Premium package. It has all the features except central locking. Headlight Pro, Shift assist pro, Bluetooth audio, ESA, stability control, ride modes, cruise, hill start, antilock brakes, keyless ignition, GPS prep, and probably a couple others I’m forgetting right now. The reason I’m probably high on the price is the extremely low miles. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
RTs seem to depreciate really fast (especially compared to something like a GS) for some reason.

2020 bikes are either available now, or will be soon, so your 2016 is now 4 model years old and has the less powerful engine. Leftover 2019s will be available for a few thousand off too.

Unfortunately I think that the $11500 is a lot closer to what you're going to get than $14500.

Good Luck!

#7 ·
i also have a 2016 RT, bought new, and i usually always buy used. fortunately i do not have any urge to upgrade yet.... but $10K to $13k is probably a realistic $$ you'd get if you were to sell it to a private party. (this would be tricky: what buyer has 10K+ in cash laying around, and not many buyers with that cash laying around would be searching for his next bike on craigslist like ad...)

off topic but if i were to upgrade from my current RT, i'd go with an automatic tranny bike, and after that, maybe an electric.....

#8 ·
I am picking up a 2011 for 7500 tomorrow with the same mileage. If you are using all available sources to list it and not getting any better offers, either take what you can get or maybe wait until spring and try again. Craigslist, facebook marketplace, on here, Ebay,... Hit em all. For private party sale, I usually try to split between retail and trade values. Low mileage is great, but it doesn't change the year model. Dealers offer financing, warranty, ect... Good luck.

#9 ·
FYI: from tons of personal (GS only experience)

Most buyers are really afraid of the things that will go wrong with the bike (and they always do)..

For example... More than a few times I have seeing very similar bikes, one with 36.001 miles the other one with 10.000 and the higher mileage gets more money and sell faster since most of the faulty parts got taking care by the warranty ..

again this is comun on the GS Circles, no idea of the RT circles ..

#10 ·
A few months ago I purchased a 2016 R1200RT with 47k miles for $11,900. Perfect shape. No shift pro or headlight pro or keyless ignition. New tires and an invoice of all the work that had been done to make it ready for the dealer to sell it. Full maintenance records in writing from the previous owner.

So far the bike has been flawless.
I wanted a new left over 2018 but could not find one.
I don't mind the high mileage, but would hesitate to pay a lot more for a very low mileage bike (why didn't he ride it? Problems with the bike??)

Attachments

#11 ·
There are some unfortunate facts in play regarding bike pricing...
I know I had to deal with them recently too.

It's true that sellers can be powerfully influenced by attachment to their bikes, and their pride of maintaining them, loving them. The memories you make go into your memory bank, not your pocket book.

But the truly powerful force in play is what someone will pay. Yes, the market is set by the buyers not the sellers. The numbers on Cycle Trader and other services are usually pretty valid but location, of the bike- especially weather-wise can play into it, as can size of the market. Lots of factors in play, but there is one almost universal truth.

You seldom end up getting as much as you think it is worth... Buyers never get to brag about how much more than the market they paid for a bike.

Fact of life I am afraid.

Good luck

Reactions: joekahng
#12 ·
Well said and so true.

I know a guy trying to sell a 2016 RT with 11K miles. Beautiful bike with top box and the works. When he purchased a 2019 GS last spring the dealer offered him 12.7K on trade-in. He chose to sell it himself and listed the bike on CL for 16.2K. It's still listed today, 8 months later, for 14.5K. Hindsight is 20/20, but he should have traded it in and taken advantage of the tax break on the new bike. In my state the tax rate is 9.8% of 12.7K, or $1245, which puts the true trade-in value at 13.9K, or thereabouts. He's putting up with a lot of headache trying to sell the bike himself for basically well less than $1K.

In my book any vehicle is only worth what a dealer will give you for it. The rest is dealer overhead that you're paying for. Private sellers don't have that overhead, so why would one pay for it?

When I was shopping for an RT 3 months ago, there were two 2015s with 4500 miles selling for 10K a piece on CL. Unfortunately, I missed out on one of those. :(

Good luck with your sale.

#13 ·
Am I asking too much or am I getting lowballed? TIA.[/QUOTE]

A bit of both I believe. In my opinion ,and only MY opinion, NADA and all of the others are simply a starting point. I find Cycle Trader to be on the high side and Craigslist to be closer to street price. I think two things make people ask a lot more than is realistic. First- emotional attachment and second is thinking that all of the aftermarket parts you put on the bike have good resale value( just because that $900.00 seat worked wonders for your butt doesn't mean its going to do the same for mine).When I sell a bike I try to think of it as a friends bike so no emotion. Just a bike. I ask for more than I'm willing to take so we can do the buying and selling thing, which I expect. I then list it for sale and see what happens. If I can't even get the scammers to respond then I know I'm too high:grin: and I adjust. GLWTS.

#14 ·
... and second is thinking that all of the aftermarket parts you put on the bike have good resale value...
Whenever I see a list of "upgraded" parts or the word "custom" in a bike ad, I wonder who did the work and if they did it right. If the stock parts that were replaced don't come with the bike for the price listed, I move on.

Reactions: joekahng
#15 · (Edited)
I am selling my full equipped 2015 R1200RT. I have been shocked by how little it is worth.

Attachments

#16 ·
There are basically two considerations when selling a higher priced used bike:

1) What are local banks willing to finance? As mentioned by a previous poster, determine what source local banks are using to determine loan value and you know what your bike is worth.

2) Cash buyers...if someone has cash for a higher priced used bike, they know how valuable they are as a buyer and will inevitably low ball an offer. Don't be discouraged, angry, frustrated...just work with them. Ultimately, a cash buyer also knows what the used books say it's worth and are likely to pay close to that price when the haggling is all done.

Good luck with your sale!

#18 ·
I don't know where you are but down here in Florida the prices are much higher. 2 Friends just bought used RT's, both were 2016 with 5,000 plus miles. Both paid over $15K (at a dealer). If you only have 1,154 (or even 11,154) you should get at least $13K as a private seller. Just my opinion.
Good luck Lee4BMW

#20 ·
I'm going to use this information in the divorce.

Me: "Your Honor, I would LOSE money selling my 2-year-old 2016 RT with over 48K miles and $4K in farkles."

Judge: "What the fuck is a farkle?"

#25 ·
Your asking price is simply way too high. A friend just sold his low mileage ‘17 RT to a dealer for $12k after asking as much as $17k, then $16k, then $15k, etc. Lots of interest in used Beemers, but buyers have gotten wise to inflated asking prices. Motorcycles, especially high-end bikes, depreciate faster than cars. Ask yourself: If it were my bike, and it was stolen, what would my insurance pay, and how much would I be willing to pay for an equally equipped replacement?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.