Clymer/Haynes versus factory CD? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Garage
Clymer/Haynes versus factory CD?

If I have the factory CD service manual, do I also need a Clymer or Haynes repair manual? Do the paperbacks have something the CD does not? TIA.

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

Former rides in reverse order: '05 Electra Glide Ultra, '02 Kawasaki Voyager 12, 30 years off to raise kids, Kawasaki, KZ650, Suzuki GT 750, GT 380, Kawasaki 350, Yamaha 250, Honda CL160.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 9:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Clymer/Haynes versus factory CD?

BMW has DVD with very detailed instructions on exactly what to do, but it is very cryptic. Good to have for reference, but if I were you, I would wait to see if you might need it, because it's quite expensive. Probably not needed, because there are tons of online information on your camhead RT already. As for the other manual, I seem to have the idea that you are fairly mechanically apt, and so I would recommend saving your money and refer to the video on the JVB website for some guidance, even though everything that you will be doing is very straight forward, once you have gone through them once! If you MUST spend some money, then buy the JVB DVD and support a fellow rider!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 10:55 am

Garage
The Haynes manual has very detailed wiring diagrams which, paradoxically, the BMW DVD does not. The DVD is great for it's step by step sequencing and hot links between procedures. Torque specs are right there.

I have them both and there's nothing I can't do.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 12:05 pm

After owning two RTs over the past few years I have the BMW CD, a Haynes AND the JVB resources...they all have their advantages.

If you already have the BMW CD that will likely meet most (if not all) of your needs....remember most Haynes manuals can be purchased/accessed online so they are instantly available.

The Haynes/Clymer manuals DO have better pics/illustrations for specific jobs - plus wiring diagrams in some cases (those schematics are not on the BMW CD).

As another member mentioned there is also a wealth of info (tribal knowledge) here on the forum that saved my butt on many occasions...plus tips/tricks for Ďspecialí tools and procedures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
BMW has DVD with very detailed instructions on exactly what to do, but it is very cryptic. Good to have for reference, but if I were you, I would wait to see if you might need it, because it's quite expensive. Probably not needed, because there are tons of online information on your camhead RT already. As for the other manual, I seem to have the idea that you are fairly mechanically apt, and so I would recommend saving your money and refer to the video on the JVB website for some guidance, even though everything that you will be doing is very straight forward, once you have gone through them once! If you MUST spend some money, then buy the JVB DVD and support a fellow rider!
Thanks PadG, I already have the JVB DVD, it is well done and as you said most of the procedures look pretty simple. (oh no! I shouldn't have said that, now I have jinxed myself!). Most of the maintenance I want to do first is covered in it. The other things I can probably find on youTube or here.

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

Former rides in reverse order: '05 Electra Glide Ultra, '02 Kawasaki Voyager 12, 30 years off to raise kids, Kawasaki, KZ650, Suzuki GT 750, GT 380, Kawasaki 350, Yamaha 250, Honda CL160.
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Pappy53 and Rangemaster, Thank you for your advice. If I find a used (read cheap) BMW DVD I'll go ahead and pick it up. It certainly won't hurt to have it available. I did not know the Clymer/Haynes manuals were available online. Is it a subscription? I have also spent several hours reading this forum. I'm going back in history, so far I'm to page 16!

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

post #7 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 12:35 pm

I recommend having the OEM DVD. It will not let you make a mistake. But it is intended for a mechanic. You also need either Haynes or Clymers as a supliment. JVB video on valve and cam timing for the wet head bikes leaves out important procedure for setting the cam timing that goes along with the valve check. Just putting a straight edge along the edges of the timing lugs on the cam shaft ends does not accomplish anything. You need a TDC locking tool, a cam chain tension device and a bridge tool to place on the cam shaft ends. And please understand this timing will make a world of difference in the running of your bike. Along with the proper positioning of the reluctor on exhaust camshaft on the left side of the bike.
Work on your earlier model bike is straight forward and as mentioned plenty of on line information. I used the above work as an example that you need to use multiple sources to be sure your going in the correct direction.
I know the DVD is expensive but so is most any good manual. We should be glad that BMW takes the trouble to produce the service DVD for public consumption. It has details that can be overlooked. And of course some procedures can and are modified by others. In the K12,13 series DVD there is a mistake in photographs of cam timing, so everything has to be examined carefully no matter where you get your information.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Last edited by beech; Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:40 pm.
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I know the DVD is expensive but so is most any good manual. We should be glad that BMW takes the trouble to produce the service DVD for public consumption. It has details that can be overlooked.
It's WELL worth the cost. The DVD is my primary reference source. I really only use the Haynes if someone on a forum posts a wiring question. 8-)

post #9 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGx View Post
Pappy53 and Rangemaster, Thank you for your advice. If I find a used (read cheap) BMW DVD I'll go ahead and pick it up. It certainly won't hurt to have it available. I did not know the Clymer/Haynes manuals were available online. Is it a subscription? I have also spent several hours reading this forum. I'm going back in history, so far I'm to page 16!

CalGx:
https://haynes.com/en-us/bmw/r1200rt/2010-2012

post #10 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy53 View Post
It's WELL worth the cost. The DVD is my primary reference source. I really only use the Haynes if someone on a forum posts a wiring question. 8-)
Thanks beech and Pappy53,

Well, I know how to run a torque wrench, but a multi-meter... that's a different story. I can measure the basics but when it gets intricate, I need to watch some YouTube! I can wire lights and horns etc. but this is my first bike with a can buss wiring system. I'm not sure of the implications...

I guess I'll be in the market for a DVD also.

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

post #11 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Quote:
Thanks beech and Pappy53,

Well, I know how to run a torque wrench, but a multi-meter... that's a different story. I can measure the basics but when it gets intricate, I need to watch some YouTube! I can wire lights and horns etc. but this is my first bike with a can buss wiring system. I'm not sure of the implications...

I guess I'll be in the market for a DVD also.

CalGX:

If youíre thinking about adding accessory driving lights, horn and brake lights on your 2012 RT you might want to look at a Hex ezCAN...makes life alot simpler.

I installed an ezCAN on my current 09RT and it was much less work than my previous one (installing a fuseblock, relays and switches).

If you have questions feel free to PM me and/or we can get on the phone to discuss your farkling plans...

post #12 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemaster View Post
CalGX:

If youíre thinking about adding accessory driving lights, horn and brake lights on your 2012 RT you might want to look at a Hex ezCAN...makes life alot simpler.

I installed an ezCAN on my current 09RT and it was much less work than my previous one (installing a fuseblock, relays and switches).

If you have questions feel free to PM me and/or we can get on the phone to discuss your farkling plans...

Thank you rangemaster, that is a generous offer. I think at least one of my winter projects for this bike is going to be additional lights of some sort, probably LED's. I live in deer country and have to go to work around 5am. Prime time to meet a deer. So additional, forward looking lights are in order. I had never heard of an ezCan, I will have to check that out.

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

post #13 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Garage
When I get in front of a keyboard I'll type up something and how the Canbus works in a Camhead. It's no big deal.

post #14 of 16 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 8:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
I recommend having the OEM DVD. It will not let you make a mistake. But it is intended for a mechanic. You also need either Haynes or Clymers as a supliment. JVB video on valve and cam timing for the wet head bikes leaves out important procedure for setting the cam timing that goes along with the valve check. Just putting a straight edge along the edges of the timing lugs on the cam shaft ends does not accomplish anything. You need a TDC locking tool, a cam chain tension device and a bridge tool to place on the cam shaft ends. And please understand this timing will make a world of difference in the running of your bike. Along with the proper positioning of the reluctor on exhaust camshaft on the left side of the bike.
Work on your earlier model bike is straight forward and as mentioned plenty of on line information. I used the above work as an example that you need to use multiple sources to be sure your going in the correct direction.
I know the DVD is expensive but so is most any good manual. We should be glad that BMW takes the trouble to produce the service DVD for public consumption. It has details that can be overlooked. And of course some procedures can and are modified by others. In the K12,13 series DVD there is a mistake in photographs of cam timing, so everything has to be examined carefully no matter where you get your information.
Beech - he has a camhead!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 11:21 am

Quote:
Thank you rangemaster, that is a generous offer. I think at least one of my winter projects for this bike is going to be additional lights of some sort, probably LED's. I live in deer country and have to go to work around 5am. Prime time to meet a deer. So additional, forward looking lights are in order. I had never heard of an ezCan, I will have to check that out.

CalGX:

https://www.hexezcan.com

Look thru the BMW stuff (they also make one for H-Ds now as well)...it shows installation and operating features.

post #16 of 16 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks gents, you have been a wealth of information.

Rangemaster- I looked at the Hex page, that does appear to make it simpler. The last thing I need is to fry the onboard computer.

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in