BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Headers without catalytic

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  LAF 
#1 ·
Has anyone bought headers without catalytic.
I noticed this on the web.
Black Widow Exhausts
Model: BMW R 1200 RT 13-18
Material: 304 Grade Polished Stainless Steel
Type: Downpipes Collector

#2 ·
I guess you are talking about this?
https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.u...cat-downpipes-collector-2013-2018-23792-p.asp

The last part of their webpage says:
Please note emissions are not tested on motorcycles in the UK for the MOT.

There seems to be a sub text there that says the emissions are out of tolerance. I'd personally like some more data on that.

Also there looks like no provision for the exhaust flap. So that is another thing that will need tweaking.

#4 ·
The only reason I was looking at these headers is I am thinking about ceramic coating inside the header pipes and outside. The place I checked for coating said they could not do the inside of the header if it has the catalytic. The company for the coating is Jet-Hot.

#7 ·
Food for thought here...and I have more of a question than any knowledgeable contribution. I have a small collection of vintage vehicles. They use carburetors, mechanical distributors, points, condensers, coils...etc. Such old-school engines always operate at a "compromise," adjustment of performance efficiency. Most of the specs are for "sea level" atmosphere and fine tuned from there.

Today's ECM electronic fuel injected engines are designed to make these fine adjustments in "real-time" by strategically placing sensors that allow the ECM to compensate fuel/air ratio for atmosphere, altitude, power demand, etc. One part of this is the sampling of exhaust gasses. I don't know and have not studied if there are sensors sampling before and after the catalytic converter? My main concern would be, not so much for emissions...but how it could effect performance???

#8 ·
The new 1250 has 3 O2 sensors, one on each head pipe as they are now, but then there is one after the cat. I am sure it is for more accuracy for the bike to read and adjust fuel but I would bet a burger it is going to move to the lean side of fueling. I am sure it is to meet Euro 5.

I run a PC 5 with auto tune on my 17.5 GS but I think the era of fuelrs is gone on the 1250 series and on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.