BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

New 2019 R1250 RT

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Geoff c 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been a long-time member here since 2016 when I bought my second RT, back then it was a Platinum R1200RT then 2017 seen me buy a 2017 K1600GTL before having a spell and selling it to buy a 2018 Indian Road Master. 4th October I bought a new 2019 R1250RT with top box and fog lights. I had my first service done a week later and love the new 1250 Shift cam along with the new updated Hill hold control that is a vast improvement over the older one on my last 2 BMW`s I love the fact you can set it to come on automatically on any grade of 5 degrees or more including facing downhill then ride off without the hassle of the old system where you needed to use the hand brake pressure to release it again. The motor is much smoother along with the shift Pro Assist. I am loving the fact that this bike is so light and nimble has the torque handling and overall a nice bike to ride. 2 things I miss about the Road Master is the comfort even though its weight was around 422 kg and the Dash / Sat Nav set up with a fantastic stereo system that BMW needs to bring up to other bikes standards and it has not changed in years and way outdated.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Enjoy the new 1250 RT... Loving my 17 RT for now, but like the changes on the 1250.

Sammy
The only thing that pulls me to the 1250 is the self levelling suspension.
My '17 has way more performance than I need. The gearbox feels identical to my very smooth one, so no change there. The engine in terms of smoothness - my 1200 is to all intents and purposes the same level of smoothness.
So if you were buying and trading up from an earlier model I would recommend the 1250, but for someone with the gearbox upgrade that came at the end of '16, The newer bike offers not a lot.
Still waiting for lighting upgrades!

#7 ·
Congrats on the new bike. Just picked mine up last Saturday. Still waiting for the top box (on order). I upgraded from a 2010 1200RT so you know there is a bigger smile on my face now with all the new features I didn't have on the 2010.

Reactions: Geoff c
#8 ·
1967 R60/2 and 2019 R1250RT. Both are fabulous BMW boxers.

#10 ·
My '17 has way more performance than I need.
I don't ride fast and I don't ride hard but in one area of performance my '15 is inadequate.
Fully loaded (but solo) when I'm in 6th gear and swing out to overtake the acceleration from 100kph to say 140 for overtaking is lacking. I spend too much time on the wrong side of the road. I could change down to 5th but I don't. Looking at the torque curve of the shift cam convinces me to upgrade. And as a bonus most of my farkles can move straight over.

Ian

#12 ·
I don't ride fast and I don't ride hard but in one area of performance my '15 is inadequate.
Fully loaded (but solo) when I'm in 6th gear and swing out to overtake the acceleration from 100kph to say 140 for overtaking is lacking. I spend too much time on the wrong side of the road. I could change down to 5th but I don't. Looking at the torque curve of the shift cam convinces me to upgrade. And as a bonus most of my farkles can move straight over.
Ian
Mate, why wouldn't you shift down? That's what the gearbox is for. I am in 4th already before making a pass from 100kph and the bike response is immediate and strong. Even if you're following for some time it will run all day in 4th at that speed so certainly won't cause any harm. Seems an expensive solution to upgrade when a couple of toe taps takes care of the problem.

Cheers,
John

#11 ·
Guys thanks for your comments and opinions. I have to say this bike with the 1250 is a big improvement over the 1200 I have only had the bike 2 weeks and getting really good mileage from it and it is still tight as I and you would expect also. I have only done about 1,400 klms or around 870 miles so far mostly country winding roads with both uphill and downhill grades. The bike pulls well I mostly ride it in dynamic mode but tried the road mode to see what it was like today. It is a lot softer so I think I will be leaving it in the dynamic mode as I Love the firmness and handling that it gives.. The one and the only complaint I have is the comfort with the seat is not or anywhere near as good as the Indian Road Masters were. But you can't have everything, what it lacks there it makes up for in performance and handling.
Thanks again guys and to those amongst us that have already bought a new R1250 RT I know how you must feel each time you ride and those who have ordered one and waiting for delivery you will love the bike so much. Ride safe and have fun.

Reactions: JBinAZ
#14 ·
Are you in Dynamic ride mode? If not (and you have the option), give it a try! Gives your RT a whole 'nother personality. Also, if you have Shift-Assist, a couple of quickshifts and you have more than enough power. 6th is an overdrive gear. What do you expect it to do?

#15 · (Edited)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
Ian

Mate, why wouldn't you shift down? That's what the gearbox is for. I am in 4th already before making a pass from 100kph and the bike response is immediate and strong. Even if you're following for some time it will run all day in 4th at that speed so certainly won't cause any harm. Seems an expensive solution to upgrade when a couple of toe taps takes care of the problem.

Cheers,
John
OK, OK I confess ...... I want a new one because I want a new one.
Even if I can't convince anyone else I can convince myself - self levelling suspension, improved hill start assist and shift assist, more torque, better fuel consumption, most farkles move over and so on and so on. At a particular age and stage of life you adopt a different logic to some things.

Hope my wife doesn't read this.:surprise:

Ian

#18 ·
LOL Ian I understand where you are coming from. I have always found to aske for forgiveness is much more easy than asking for permission. Mind you I am no different in the last 18 mths. I went from an R1200RT to a K1600GTL then the Road Master and now back to the BMW R1250RT. i really did not need to change any of the bikes but wanted the change so before I did the last job on my self lol. I had to make my mind up that, I would be happy with the RT over another K1600GTL, what helped was the fact the 422 kg of the Roadmaster and if I bought a K1600 GTL it was no real advantage weight-wise with very little difference of around 160 kg so going with the RT at around 279 kg`s won out. I don't think I will regret it as it is light enough for me to ride for a few more years by that time I won't be young enough to think about riding bikes any longer not that weight was too big of an issue at the moment and I am around 74 kg but at 65 years of age I think I need to look a bit further into the future and the Rt should take me to the end of my riding days in about 10 or so years time.
:frown::grin:

#17 ·
Wow not being rude but you must have sensitive hearing I thought the exhaust is fine with a nice note. But that just could be me, coming off an Indian Road Master with stage 1 exhaust, air cleaner, and stage 2 cams. I loved that exhaust on that bike , but could never understand how a lot of the guys especially in the USA wanted them to be louder.

#19 ·
Not rude.
I rode for a few years on R1200 and K1600 without plugs. I realised how much damage to me I was doing.
I chose to get custom plugs with the 17 rt and found I eliminated most noise except low tones such as exhaust. I couldn't hear any road, tyre or engine noise. Exhaust was fine and enjoyable.
On the new r1250 still have no road, tyre or engine but the exhaust is much louder.
If I wanted the exhaust loud as I had done on previous bikes I would have added louder exhausts.
I got used to quiet rides with music. Now its dominant.
Not bad...just different.

#20 ·
I have to admit I wear a Schuberth C4 and listen to my music most of the time, I am sorry you are experiencing this with your new bike and not sure if there would be any other exhaust that would enable the noise level to be decreased more than what it is now. I love the grip of the Tyres , but wondering what sort of Klms to expect and to be totally honest with a tyre that grips as they do. I would not expect it to be much more than around the 8,000 to 10,000 klms. anything above that would be a bonus. Thanks for your feed back also.

#23 ·
Picked up my new R1250RT in August. Previously traded 09 RT (underpowered 2up with luggage) for a GTL. Had plenty of power but just didn’t fit me. I have a 17 GSA but my wife wanted a little more comfort so we added the new RT. After riding for awhile I noticed a slight hesitation when engaging the clutch and rolling on the throttle. The dealer said all was correct but with the GSA to compare, I felt there was still a problem. Returning to the dealer I discussed with their tech guy. He suspected the electronic throttle sensor had a “flat spot”. Part was ordered, installed and no more hesitation. About 5k miles now and we love the bike. Agree with others on led headlights so will just add a set of erica’s.

#24 · (Edited)
Re: New 2019 R1250 RT Sold back to dealer

I love the new R1250Rt but have been having the same issues with my shoulders and neck pain that I had with my 2016 RT. So today I spoke to my dealership where I bought the bike about the issues. We worked out on a great deal for a new 2020 GTL with Reverse that I could not refuse. Having owned a 2017 GTL and loved it so much I still had some reservations about the weight of it but that could be overcome with reverse gear fitted. The only issue is that all BMW K 1600`s have a stop-sale on them at this time due to an issue with the Fork in the gearbox and ability to possible select 2 gears at the same time and that could cause the rear wheel to lock up. So BMW won't release any new bikes till the new bikes have had the issue fixed in the factory or any that are in transit will be fixed on arrival to their destination by the BMW Techs. I don't have any real concerns about that as I know it will be fixed before delivery, but I will have to wait till January 2020 to take delivery of the new bike. My dealer has offered to take my RT back now, at the same as I paid for it, so they can sell it without losing too much value by me adding extra klms. He is then loaning me a K1600 GTL second hand that they have with low klms.thats just had a full service on it until mine is able to be delivered. I can cancel my insurance for the new RT save a few dollars and won't have to worry about the rego, wear and tear on the loan bike.
I know the last 2017 GTL I had was comfortable so with the addition of reverse I won't have a problem with the new bike once it comes in January next year. Plus an added bonus is that I have a pair of near new BMW optional Akropovick Slip-on mufflers sitting in my shed and a set of front and rear crash bars that are off my 2017. That will fit on the new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.