Denali with Top box Brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trilergy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 4:26 am Thread Starter

Denali with Top box Brakes

Can anyone give me some info on how to have the top box brake light operate from a Denali Cansmart setup.

Most of what I read is for the brakes overall. I was hoping to leave the brakes as they are but the top box different.

Not sure if its possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 5:05 am

Re: Denali with Top box Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilergy View Post
Can anyone give me some info on how to have the top box brake light operate from a Denali Cansmart setup.

Most of what I read is for the brakes overall. I was hoping to leave the brakes as they are but the top box different.

Not sure if its possible
Anything is possible, it's about how much you want to do / pay, to make it happen.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

It is very possible, and if you had asked about Clearwater Canopener, then I would have been able to help, but I know nothing about your Denali!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 5:17 pm

If your bike has the circular plug for the powered topbox, you just need to find the 2 wires for the stoplight. They work normally and don't need any dealer intervention.
Some say that the dealer needs to enable it, but all that does is enable the failure warning system for the light. This cannot be done on the GS911.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
It is very possible, and if you had asked about Clearwater Canopener, then I would have been able to help, but I know nothing about your Denali!
I imagine regardless of the powered unit the connection to the brakes will be the same.

Which wires did you connect to and where did you pick them up?

My top box is powered but I don't have the brake light yet. My understanding is that's just plug in and it works.
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 9:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I imagine regardless of the powered unit the connection to the brakes will be the same.

Which wires did you connect to and where did you pick them up?

My top box is powered but I don't have the brake light yet. My understanding is that's just plug in and it works.
Well, if you have an output wire for the brake from your unit, then all that you will have to do is to get under the pillion seat, and you will see the big round 16 pins connector that the topbox is connected to. You should make your connection to the bike-side connector. You will need to strip back the wiring loom at the back of that connector some, so that you will have easy access to the individual conductors. All that you will need to do, is to cut the conductor for the brake light (of the topbox), and DO make sure that you leave plenty of length on the connector side! Now, you can simply splice in your brake output from your device to the load-side cut end of the brake conductor. You need to cut that conductor because you want to replace the output from the RT completely. My main computer, where I have my data, is down right now, and so I can't look to see what the color of that brake-light conductor is. I'll take a look at my actual wiring on my RT later, and get back to you with the color of that conductor.

No, you don't have to worry about doing anything with the ground! That single conductor is all that you need to work on.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 9:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

I haven't looked at my own wiring, but went to the source of where I had gotten the wire color information in the first place. The brake light conductor color is Gray/Black/Yellow-dots.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

That's great.
The part about cutting that wire and replacing makes total sense. That was where I was a bit confused how Denali overrides canbus.
Thanks
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 8:22 pm

I built a system using 4 Skene P4 pods, except I wired both turn and tail/brake lights using Skene controllers. While the Denali box you are connecting to might be different, the Skene schematics, photographs, and instructions online can help you understand the plugs and wires you might need to deal with. See https://www.skenelights.com/r1200rt-...3-installation, about 2/3 to the bottom of the page in the section titled "Convert Topcase Brake Light Into a Combined Tail Light / Flashing Brake Light - Applicable to both K1600GT/GTL and R1200RT."

I also have a Denali B6 brake light running off a Cansmart, but I really wanted turn signals in the top box too, and the Skene system was the only way I found to easily accomplish that.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
The Farkling:
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (driver)
  • Suburban Machinery Foot Peg Lowering Kit
  • Ilium Works Adjustable Brake Lever
  • Ilium Works Side Stand Foot Enlarger
  • RAM Ball Mount, Clutch Reservoir (w/Garmin InReach mount)
  • Skene P4 LEDs (as top box tail and turn lights)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 9:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That's great.
The part about cutting that wire and replacing makes total sense. That was where I was a bit confused how Denali overrides canbus.
Thanks
That is all that you really have to do, with the assumption that your Cansmart meshes into the bike's network (CAN = Communication Area Network, a protocol and not a "thing"! ) in similar manner as my Canopener, so that it will "know" when the brakes are being applied. If using other type of controller, the other end of that cut conductor will be needed to provide signal to the controller.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 7:31 pm

It would help to know what kind of LED pods you intend to use. One potential issue: the current Denali CanSmart can dim LEDs two different ways. By default, it expects a three-wire circuit, with a +12V DC constant "hot" wire, a ground, and a "signal" wire which carries a signal that tells a three-wire capable driver how to pulse width modulate the voltage to achieve a particular brightness. For Denali lights, the driver circuit in the light pods handles this signal from the third wire. If you have a three-wire pod, you'll need to run two wires to the light which is a pain.

If you hook up the CanSmart using only the "hot" lead, to a non-Denali, 2-wire dimmable light, you might get a light that is on at 100% intensity at all times unless you tell the controller that you need a 2-wire signal. In the Denali software, you can adjust the settings to make any light circuit a "two-wire dimming" capable circuit, in which case the CanSmart will encode the pulse-width-modulation onto the hot lead and the two-wire light will function as expected and can be a tail and brake light. See some info at https://www.twistedthrottle.com/blog...ftware-update/.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
The Farkling:
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (driver)
  • Suburban Machinery Foot Peg Lowering Kit
  • Ilium Works Adjustable Brake Lever
  • Ilium Works Side Stand Foot Enlarger
  • RAM Ball Mount, Clutch Reservoir (w/Garmin InReach mount)
  • Skene P4 LEDs (as top box tail and turn lights)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Very simple. Task completed and I have a flashing brake light on the top box.
Thanks for the info.
PadG likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2019, 5:12 am

Garage

Good, no, great idea. I will look into trying to get a flashing top box light on my set-up.

I have an electrified OEM top box on my '18RT, with a Clearwater CanOpener and Billie tail light. Hopefully I can tap into that. I've found the Clearwater folks to be extremely helpful providing info so I can DIY wiring using their xlnt products.

Between the Admore side case turn/stop/tail lights, the OEM top box light, and the Billie, the Billie is the star of the show. Twice as bright and attention grabbing as either of the other. Not sorry I have the others, they serve a valuable function, but if I can get the Billie inertial and flashing logic into the topcase, I will score higher yet on conspicuity.

Since I've installed front, side, and rear auxiliary lighting, (including tinted lenses and flashing that Clearwater offers front and rear), it is amazing the increased elbow room I get from other motorists.
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2019, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just keep in mind that the Canopener brake light output has a maximum capacity of 1 amp! So, tapping that output to run both the Billie light as well as the topbox aux. LED could be a problem. You need to figure out the total load.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #15 of 16 Old Oct 25th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Just keep in mind that the Canopener brake light output has a maximum capacity of 1 amp! So, tapping that output to run both the Billie light as well as the topbox aux. LED could be a problem. You need to figure out the total load.
I found that out the hard way. Blew the arse out of the stoplight circuit in the Canopener. A new Canopener cost me $100 US, which is a lot of Pacific Pe$o$.

I have a solid state relay which I'm going to use with the aftermarket topbox light. Never thought a row of high intensity LEDs the size of the BMW topbox light would pull more than 1A.

Lesson learned...

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
post #16 of 16 Old Oct 26th, 2019, 10:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ouch! I would have thought that they would have over-current protection in the circuitry!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in