F850R/RS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NoelCP
  • 1 Post By jeffdean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage
F850R/RS

Looks like the street side of the F850 line is being filled out.

To me the styling isn't a strong point and the chain drive is a major negative but others probably disagree. No sign of an F850RT yet, fingers still crossed.

F850R and F850RS

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goose11; Oct 16th, 2019 at 2:46 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 4:25 am

Re: F850R/RS

Wow that F800R is one UGLY bike. It looks like it has been ridden into a wall. Kind of like a Horseshoe Bat.

The F800RS is a very angular design too! What has happened to BMW's lovely organic looking bikes?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 8:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Wow that F800R is one UGLY bike. It looks like it has been ridden into a wall. Kind of like a Horseshoe Bat.

The F800RS is a very angular design too! What has happened to BMW's lovely organic looking bikes?

Well I personally don't find it ugly at all but anyway ...the BMW design team is probably looking towards the future younger customer base trying to keep the company growing....and you are certainly entitled to your opinion and have the right to say that...that's what they came up with so if you don't like it buy something else...

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 10:14 am

These will sell even worse than F800GT did. What BMW needs is a T1000GT:

• Smooth parallel triple of around 950cc (hence the T) w/ 115HP
  • Belt driven w/ 50K mile change interval (efficient, no maintenance, clean and most of all lightweight)
  • All the performance tech of RTW: ABS Pro, Shift Assist, ASC, Ride Modes. Leave out the audio package, Hill Start, central locking, etc, to help distinguish it from the uber luxury ST models.
  • All the comfort tech of RTW inc electric windscreen, trimmed but effective fairing, lighter weight panniers, heated seat/grips, TPM.
  • Curb weight fully fueled: 520lbs including empty side cases.
  • Styling emphasizing sport, but supportive ergonomically of distance touring, like RTW is.

Most all aging riders will appreciate that it would be as capable as RTW as an ST, but w/ 100lbs less weight. This would be the only bike I would change to in the BMW line and I fully expect if done really well would command enough market share to justify itself. Nothing exists like it among any brands currently.
Stooie likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Wow that F800R is one UGLY bike. It looks like it has been ridden into a wall. Kind of like a Horseshoe Bat...
Lol. When I saw the bike, it made me think of this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	46BE36A5-8A12-4160-B125-3D1642790184_1571325422436.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	154681  
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 12:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Noel,

We've talked about this before, I don't line up perfectly with your (motorcycle) desires but I'm pretty sure BMW COULD build a bike that would work very well for both our wants.

All I'd change on your list is:

A. HP: 115 would be fine but, honestly, I'd be just as happy with 90 if the bike really weighed 520 pounds with 6 gallons (or, maybe 5 if the bike actually got 50+ MPG in the real world) of fuel and powerband was wide and smooth.
B. I'd want a bike that was a touring bike first and a sport bike second. I don't shred much these days.

The big problem, however, is cost. The bike we want would be cheaper to build than a boxer (opposed engines cost more than parallel twins) but I'm not sure BMW could get enough savings to make a significant difference in MSRP. Maybe BMW can cut cost with a non-German build location and a little "value engineering". Then we get to what will probably kill our dream bike, the RT barely makes economic sense now, cutting sales with an in house competitor wouldn't fly with the bean counters. The only option that would not steal RT sales would be an updated F800GT (much lower "content" like those advance rider aids) and we know that didn't go well.

FWIW, given all the audio I get with a helmet bluetooth and my phone they could save a bunch of money, bulk and some weight by dumping the whole on board music system. I would miss the satellite radio but I could live with that or mount a receiver in the tank bag. Just give me a couple of USB ports for charging. People who don't want music would save money and weight.

And yes, please, PLEASE stop styling bikes for young people who A. don't want motorcycles and B. can't afford BMWs and C. wouldn't buy a touring bike even if they are exceptions to A. and B. Its like they are marketing blow drys to bald people while ignoring people like me with a full (so far) head of hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
These will sell even worse than F800GT did. What BMW needs is a T1000GT:

• Smooth parallel triple of around 950cc (hence the T) w/ 115HP
  • Belt driven w/ 50K mile change interval (efficient, no maintenance, clean and most of all lightweight)
  • All the performance tech of RTW: ABS Pro, Shift Assist, ASC, Ride Modes. Leave out the audio package, Hill Start, central locking, etc, to help distinguish it from the uber luxury ST models.
  • All the comfort tech of RTW inc electric windscreen, trimmed but effective fairing, lighter weight panniers, heated seat/grips, TPM.
  • Curb weight fully fueled: 520lbs including empty side cases.
  • Styling emphasizing sport, but supportive ergonomically of distance touring, like RTW is.

Most all aging riders will appreciate that it would be as capable as RTW as an ST, but w/ 100lbs less weight. This would be the only bike I would change to in the BMW line and I fully expect if done really well would command enough market share to justify itself. Nothing exists like it among any brands currently.

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

post #7 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 12:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I prefer BMWs with cylinders sticking out sideways in the wind. Those BMWs in the photo above look naked.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #115 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 2:58 pm

Looks like any other modern motorcycle except for the badge and lacks a distinctive BMW design style - whatever that is. BMW has to be careful with its future bikes that it does not lose what is a set of well recognized USPs - off road distinctiveness, shaft drive, low maintenance, quality finishes, longevity, etc. These things are critical to good world sales and, while focus groups and consumer perceptions go some way towards developing a good design process, there is a need for designers to be bold in their creativity. Motorcycle design is becoming like automotive design which has become bland and samey with little to differentiate new models - Ford are very good at this incrementally changing model styling to keep existing buyers on board - while Korean/Japanese manufacturers are showing a little more risk in their designs and picking up higher sales as a result. It may be that extending the BMW range is diluting the brand too. I remember the controversy when BMW introduced Rotax engines. My 2c worth.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

2011 - BMW R1200RT SE

Last edited by Iscadean; Oct 17th, 2019 at 3:04 pm.
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 3:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean View Post

I prefer BMWs with cylinders sticking out sideways in the wind. Those BMWs in the photo above look naked.

Do you often climb up on a ladder and look straight down at your bikes?

The trouble with that view is that it highlights the stagger of the cylinders which looks odd to me. Much better to stay with ground level views that mask that a little better.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Do you often climb up on a ladder and look straight down at your bikes?
I see them whenever I sit on the bike and ride it. In 1967, when I bought and rode my first BMW, I so loved looking at the cylinders I had to be careful to watch the road in front of me.
Voyager likes this.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #115 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
Noel, We've talked about this before
Thank you for humoring me I present the idea everywhere I can and frequently enough to be annoying! But maybe it will filter up to BMW or another brand to seize on the fully capable sport tourer sacrificing nothing...but bulk & weight.

For my dreamcycle cost isn't going to go down a whole lot, but it will go down some I believe. MSRP is currently $18,645 for 2019 RT. The belt drive is not only far more efficient but is much less complex than shaft drive and so some cost reduction will come here. Well-designed trimmed fairing & panniers will lose weight and perhaps cost. The engine itself as you've stated will save some $$ so I would be very happy to see it at $16,385 side cases and all tech included as described. Fewer options will save $$ as well.

90HP w/ 6 gallons I don't believe will sell as well as T1000GTs with 115HP. My F800GT was 90HP and it was adequate but I always felt a little more couldn't hurt. But for all practical purposes 90HP will get you there in good stead. But not nearly as sexy as 115Hp which isn't hard to pull off in this weight class. The boost in efficiency in transferring power to the rear wheel thru a belt over a shaft will also make the model more responsive and this helps the sport side. I think there is considerable desire for better power:weight to enhance the sport side, while again keeping ergonomics in keeping w/ touring needs. I see this model as outperforming my '16 RT in all ways--but at 100lbs less which my knees will absolutely appreciate

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Oct 17th, 2019 at 8:12 pm.
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 9:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean View Post
I prefer BMWs with cylinders sticking out sideways in the wind.
I like the look of the Boxers, but just don't like riding them. Engine just feels too weird to me...

Good thing we have so many great choices then, so each of us can find whatever best suits our passions.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in