• 1 Post By *J*G*
  • 1 Post By LeeMan
  • 1 Post By *J*G*
  • 1 Post By MHTOUR
  • 1 Post By Ricardo Kuhn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Moving to a gs

Going to try a GS for a while. Trading my 2016 RT.
Willing to sell for 13.5k if anyone is interested. San Marino blue, 21k miles.
If not then I'll be selling accessories after trading: Ilium front and rear guards, adjustable rear brake lever, adjustable hiway pegs, lowered rider boards, raised passenger boards, bar risers. Sargent heated front/rear seat gray with rider backrest. 22" werks. Givi top case plate adapter.
Will post in classifieds after trading.
LAF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 3:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Moving to a gs

Let us know what you think about the GS once you get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #3 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

I will.
I wonder how many here have gone from gs to rt.

post #4 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've been thinking about a move to GS. It's lighter and can take a drop better. I'm 71 now so I think about those things now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #5 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 4:53 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well I got off the 15 RT for a 17.5 GS. It does not have TFT as I did not want it. I bought it as a leftover and got a free Nav and great percentage rate on financing.

I have never looked back. It really brought the fun of motorcycling back and it is a hoot.

If I miss anything it is the electric shield in that I cant clear the rain off my face shield by pushing a button, now I have to stand up a bit to get the air blast to clear the face shield.

Other then that I am good on what I miss.

The wind protection is not all that much worse then a RT since I use heated gear and wear Stich clothing more air is not an issue even in winter.

I installed a Givi Trekker top box and run only that, no side bags. If I go on a trip I put the side bags on and go.

I went to it for less weight and I had a 15 RT and wanted the new transmission of the 17 model years.

I also got a low and that is really nice for me.

I do not think you will be disappointed as it is a fine road machine and it is fun to ride. Let us know what you get.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 10:57 pm

With its great wind protection my '15RT has been a perfect bike for traveling around Minnesota - still don't like the notchy trans but it is what it is. I have some friends in Arizona that I ride with and with the warmer temps down there I bought a new non-current '18 GSA to get more airflow and have the option of riding a little dirt.

Had a '07 GSA that also was a great bike but this '18 GSA is a few steps above that and my RT. I'm 6'1" and I fit so much better on a GSA which was why I was able to comfortably ride 4,100 miles this summer from Phoenix to Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California and back to Phoenix. The trans is sooo much better on the GSA and the new TFT display is unbelievable. Installed an aftermarket screen and have a very quiet pocket of air with no helmet buffeting while still getting airflow to my arms and shoulders. Going through Death Valley at 110 degrees would have been tough on the fully faired RT but probably would have been doable.

When I get back on the RT it feels really small and compact but still fun to ride - it's also my commuter. I am fortunate to have two great bikes to ride and each one has it's advantages but if it came down to a one bike only decision the GSA would win.
LAF likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:47 pm

Garage

Lucky man...I'm moving to not having a bike at all.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #8 of 17 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 4:26 am Thread Starter

I thought about keeping the RT along with the GS but I really like the GS riding position much better. I'm 5'9" but the RT felt cramped after riding the GS.
I too will welcome the additional clean air on the GS.
LAF likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 8:17 am

There are a multitude of personal variables in deciding between an RT and GS. I was a GS owner for many years and loved it. I did find that I had to make a number of aftermarket mods to make it ideal. I now have a 2019RT with 9000 km of comfortable riding with no aftermarket mods and couldn't be happier. The GS was right for me then, the RT is right for me now.
post #10 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2019, 1:35 pm

Garage

After nearly 10 years and 100000km, I needed to replace my 2010 RT. As I am 6'6" (1.98m) I was advised to look at the GSA.

In January I will be receiving the GSA. The new RT had slightly too many drawbacks for me. One of which was the reduction in seat height.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2020 R 1200GSA Ice Grey (Not yet received)
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey (Used in Part Exchange)
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J*G* View Post
I will.
I wonder how many here have gone from gs to rt.
I did. I went from a 2013 RT to a 2016GS. Great bike, but I missed many of the touring features of the RT, so I'm now back on an RT. I found a lightly used 2011 and am very pleased to be back.
post #12 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2019, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Interesting, what touring features were you missing?
I'm going with a 19 r1250gs. Less wind protection (a plus, I hope), no heated seat, no power adjustable windshield. What else will I be giving up?
post #13 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J*G* View Post
Interesting, what touring features were you missing?
I'm going with a 19 r1250gs. Less wind protection (a plus, I hope), no heated seat, no power adjustable windshield. What else will I be giving up?
I ditched a '15 RT for a '19 GS early this year. I don't miss the heated seat. Rarely used it anyway. I did switch to a calsci windshield although I tried two others before deciding the calsci was the right one. It quiets the cockpit area but you still get more air than the RT. There is more heat from the motor without all the plastics but you don't have all the plastics so I'm good with it. Can ride it like a dirtbike if you so desire. Great on the road. Want to change the color just buy the two painted pieces on the bike a different color. Motor is leaps and bounds better especially on the bottom. Goes for both models. Hill stop works as it should. Doesn't take extra throttle to overcome it. Who cares about the power windshield. They go back to the same spot every time for a reason. People would complain if they had to put it back to their preferred spot every time they started the bike. Did miss the extra fuel but funny thing is I don't really notice anymore. Get gas when I need gas. Did miss the easy access storage spots but got over that as well. Locking gps is a bonus. Added the factory alarm. Went with the Givi Trekker bags with quick release brackets so no scaffolding if I don't want the bags on plus a bunch more capacity when traveling over the RT. You'll dig it.
LAF likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old Oct 27th, 2019, 5:46 pm Thread Starter

The first two times I test rode the 1250 I didn't think it was worth the upgrade. Yesterday I swapped back and forth between 1200 and 1250 (Max BMW is awesome) and came away liking the 1250 much better. 1250 is a little quieter and a little smoother. Power is up a little, mostly noticed 65-80 roll on and low rpm. 1200 bogs at 2000 rpm, 1250 purrs. 40 mph cruise control in 6th gear is impressive. Still needs a 7th gear though.
I also noticed in the owner's manuals: 1200 recommends 91 octane as first choice, 93 as 2nd. 1250 recommends 89 as first and 87 as second.
post #15 of 17 Old Oct 29th, 2019, 9:48 am

Total GS fanatic here, the architecture just fit my 6.2" frame to perfection..

I do have a extra tip if you are not to tall and not going to ride the bike in the dirt

A 17" front wheel makes them even more nimble, with one compromise, the head angle stepping up by about a degree, the fix a 7mm spacer in between the top of the shock and the frame, that is the equivalent to the inch you lose in diameter..

main reason for the 17" is that the tire choices are endless, but also make the bike about 1 1/2 to 2" lower since the sidewall of street tires are much smaller..
LAF likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2019, 7:42 am

I went from a '15 RT (San Marino blue, what a pretty bike) to a '16 GSA Low (OEM) because I was spooked about range going to Alaska and didn't want to carry extra gas. That turned out not to be an issue, during tourist season if your bike can go 150 miles you can go pretty much anywhere, so either the RT (250+ miles) or GSA (300+ miles) will do the job - as will the GS, with good planning. Also my knees didn't like the RT even though I have short legs (28" inseam). The third reason was that I figured that I can layer up in the cold better than I can layer down in the heat (I'm ATTGATT), and Texas in August is hot no matter what.

The GSA has been good to me, the only issue was at 97K miles: a leaking FD seal that was easily repaired (user error - the tiniest bit of rain will turn downtown Carlsbad NM into several inches of gritty water which dried out and did the seal no good). Looking forward to a new 1250 GSA next week!

2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)

post #17 of 17 Old Oct 30th, 2019, 11:39 am

I did that switch between RT and GSA back and forth few times since 2014 and I realized even though I love the agile and luxury RT, I was keep coming back to GSA...

Let me put it this way. While I was riding my GSA bikes I never thought " I wish I was on one of my RT bikes that I sold." But when I was riding my RT I always envied when I come across another rider on a GSA.

Riding GS Adventure is a completely different feeling and satisfaction level compared to RT. Not better necessarily but different.

If you're a person who likes big trucks, jeeps, SUVs, Hummer-like vehicles than you'll find GS or especially GSA more satisfying. On the other hand if you're a person who likes 4 door luxury sedans like BMW 7Series, Mercedes 5 series than you'll find RT more satisfying.

IMHO from 1 to 10, RT is a 9.5 for me but GS Adventure is always 10 !

Attachment 154861

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in