• 1 Post By garr2
  • 2 Post By Beemer tiger
  • 1 Post By garr2
  • 1 Post By Rider2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Garage
Feelin kinda stoopid

I just returned from a long weekend trip from Seattle to San Andreas, CA. Fun trip but I managed to do some damage to my 2018 RT.
While loading the bike for the return ride, I pushed too hard on the left case lid and pushed the bike over. The side stand is a bit too long and there was a slight camber to the pavement so it was a bonehead move. I should have known better. In the process, the windscreen hit some hard landscaping and snapped off the top half. Additionally, the right side rider's foot peg snapped off. It looks like I can count on breaking foot pegs anytime the bike goes over. I do have Ilium tip over bars, but the right case cover was scratched on the concrete curbing.

I moved the passenger peg to the rider's position and rode home without a windscreen. The ringing in my ears abated overnight.
I just ordered a couple foot pegs and case protection guards. I'll see about fixing and painting the case cover and I'll get a windscreen ordered later.

Cutting down and welding the side stand will help, but I guess I'll use the center stand more often and be more picky about where I park the bike.

Less on learned. It's only money.

John Brock
Woodway, Wa
Irhawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Feelin kinda stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brock View Post
I just returned from a long weekend trip from Seattle to San Andreas, CA. Fun trip but I managed to do some damage to my 2018 RT.
While loading the bike for the return ride, I pushed too hard on the left case lid and pushed the bike over. The side stand is a bit too long and there was a slight camber to the pavement so it was a bonehead move. I should have known better. In the process, the windscreen hit some hard landscaping and snapped off the top half. Additionally, the right side rider's foot peg snapped off. It looks like I can count on breaking foot pegs anytime the bike goes over. I do have Ilium tip over bars, but the right case cover was scratched on the concrete curbing.

I moved the passenger peg to the rider's position and rode home without a windscreen. The ringing in my ears abated overnight.
I just ordered a couple foot pegs and case protection guards. I'll see about fixing and painting the case cover and I'll get a windscreen ordered later.

Cutting down and welding the side stand will help, but I guess I'll use the center stand more often and be more picky about where I park the bike.

John Brock
Woodway, Wa
If there is much camber, the center stand can be problematic also. I think the best bet is being more choosy about parking.

My LT leans a lot on the side stand so I often try to find some slope when parking just do it doesnít lean so far. My KLR is just the opposite. It stands not far off vertical on level ground and any adverse slope and it wonít stand up at all. I have to be very careful when parking it.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:11 am

Quote:

Cutting down and welding the side stand will help

but I guess I'll use the center stand more often and be more picky about where I park the bike.
Sorry to hear that John.

The trouble with using the centre stand is that the bike is still leaning down the camber. Getting the bike off the centrestand with the bike leaning over is also an invitation to drop the bike!
In the UK of course, the sidestand is better because it 'works with the camber'. In your shoes I would consider some sidestand surgery too.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT

post #4 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:37 am

Quote:

John Brock
Woodway, Wa
Damn John! One false move...! It's stories like yours that gave me the obsession to do absolutely everything I can think of to avoid a low speed drop as I know it's just one false move away! One story I read when I got back into riding at age 61 was a guy who did a x-country trip on his gold wing. Upon arrival into his garage he forgot to put the side stand fully down and proceeded to drop the beast right then and there. That story was the beginning for me of establishing a habit to LOOK at the side stand to be certain it's fully deployed before putting any weight on it. You are very right it's only money and can be restored, and you didn't get pinched under it so lesson learned.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #5 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:55 am

Garage

I feel for you as well. Years ago I was at a busy gas station and didn't get my side stand down all the way and dropped my Venture Royale at the pump in front of a bunch of people. I was so embarrassed that I wouldn't let anyone help me pick up the heavy beast. Lucky for me only a small scratch on one chrome piece but lesson learned I am much more careful when parking now.

Too much HORSEPOWER is almost enough!
post #6 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I'm way past embarrassment. I've had too many heavy baggers tip over too many times to let that bother me much. This is the first time for the RT so I knew it would be expensive.

If I have an audience around when I tip over (usually a gas station or hotel parking lot), I take a bow then stand the bike back up AFTER checking the side stand is deployed...
MBevans likes this.
post #7 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hate that you had the accident...But...THANK YOU for sharing the experience with us here! The more of us that fess up...the easier it is for the rest of us "Droppers" to get lost in the crowd!

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #8 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Garage

I feel sorry for you.

I always park the bike in first gear. It helps preventing it from moving forward and helps keeping the side stand from folding.

YMMV

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #9 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Donít feel stupid......it has happened to all of us at one time or another It happened to me with my K1600, I tripped and it pinned me against a work bench. Ever try and pick up a 1600 ?
post #10 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 3:21 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

John most of us know how you feel.

We have all had that feeling and we have gotten over it.

Just do what you can to live with it and keep riding the heck out of it.

My 15 RT kissed the ground more then once. My 17.5 GS has kissed the ground a time or two also.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 37 Old Oct 15th, 2019, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I guess I'm surprised that the foot pegs are designed to break.
I get it that sometimes you need a sacrificial part, no complaint there, but of all the bikes I've ever had, I never have had one designed to break the foot peg with a tip over.

WTF BMW?
post #12 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 5:05 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I get it that sometimes you need a sacrificial part, no complaint there, but of all the bikes I've ever had, I never have had one designed to break the foot peg with a tip over.

WTF BMW?
Not sure it is a design?

I have BMW lowered pegs on my GS and they are built like a tank and cost like one to.

It just may have been one of those funny hits? You mentioned a curb I think? They will do some damage when a bike falls onto it. The sharp edge and 600 pounds hitting it I have been there and done that. Just did it on my GS and got off lucky as a matter of fact.

I guess it beats the bracket that holds the peg breaking?

Again sorry for your troubles.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #13 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 6:03 am
Lifetime Supporter

My topple over story.
I filled up with petrol and went in to pay
The console operator told me my bike had fallen over. I said "No it hadn't". It had.
A combination of the wrong camber on the driveway in front of the pump, a side stand enlarger that sat the bike up a few degrees, a full tank of fuel and a strong side wind. Over she went. Luckily for me on its way down the end of the handlebar caught the petrol hose that had been returned to the bowser and was hanging in a U-shape, and broke its fall. It also separated the hose from the nozzle but not a scratch on the bike!
My time will come though.

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
post #14 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 6:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:

WTF BMW?
Actually, to me, the peg breaking is a bit troubling to ponder. I know you don't want to wallow in the misery of this incident, but if you can... how about taking a pic of the damage and post it. Those of us who occasionally stand on our foot pegs for a moment while riding to relieve the pressure off our butts might want to get a good look at that break!

I weigh approx 180lbs and probably 20 more wearing gear. Shouldn't be a problem at all as long as everything is OK, but now I'm gonna add a close inspection of those to my list of checks.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #15 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 8:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
WTF BMW?
I think that it broke only because of the way that it was impacted. It won't even touch the ground in a more "normal" drop, and it will fold back when it touches the ground in a hard lean.

BTW, I had always been very careful on how I park my RT, but even then, I managed to do similar thing to what you did, on a rental RT when I was in Scotland! Parked waiting for the ferry, and I did noticed that the RT was parked a little higher on the side-stand, on the very uneven ground, than what I liked. Got off the RT, no issues, but when I tried to get back on the RT again, as my right leg swung over the saddle, my left thigh just brushed a little too hard against the left side of the saddle, and over she went! No way to stop it with one leg high off the ground. Ouch!!!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #16 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 10:23 am Thread Starter

Garage

I have no ego or shame tied up in this event at all.
It's just another thing to fix and another story to tell.

Here are a couple shots of the pieces.
It clearly snapped at an intentionally designed weak spot.
I haven't modeled it and done any stress analysis on it but to my eye, it looks plenty strong to stand on but designed to break away when hit.

The peg does not pivot up. It pivots at about a 45 degree up and back angle which makes sense if you dragged it in a hard lean angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0881.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	154673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0882.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	154675  
post #17 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Thanks for the pics. That explains that it was the foot peg and not the mount/attachment point. Without knowing the exact angle of the fall, it is difficult to understand the physics of the impact. I'm thinking it fell awkwardly in a manner that amplified the force of impact on the peg.

Regarding ego or shame...I was talking to my best friend right after my first drop. He expressed his sympathy and then said, "You'll get over it." My response was, "I'm already over it or you still wouldn't know about it!"
John Brock likes this.

post #18 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
Thanks for the pics. That explains that it was the foot peg and not the mount/attachment point. Without knowing the exact angle of the fall, it is difficult to understand the physics of the impact.
I was not on the bike.
The bike was stopped.
It was resting on it's side stand.
The bike went over when I pushed too hard on the side case lid trying to close it.

When I get it up on the lift, I'll use some long straight edges to see if the bike can go over without hitting the pegs. Just eye-balling it says, no, it was designed this way.
fortunately, the mating parts of all 4 foot pegs are the same so in effect, I was carrying two spares.
post #19 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 3:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I dropped my 2013 RT at a McDonald's. The side stand retracted since I didn't put it all the way down. I was with a few other riders and one was right next to me so I couldn't fly off the bike. I just sat there in a horizontal position until I could stand. Now I put the stand down and I kick it as a second "check" to make sure it's down.
John Brock likes this.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #20 of 37 Old Oct 16th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Many moons ago I convert a R11S into a I don't give a S%$# "Dirt bike"

Sure the whole build was full of compromises, but the most present was footpeg breakage..

The issue was that the whole mount was made of a aluminum (cast aluminum like your peg) so installing a stronger foot peg, will only break even more complex/essential things upstream..

So I just carry two of each, plus a rear brake lever and a shifter, no wonder all the "real" dirt bikes use steel for those components, so malleable and easy to fix...

Maybe you can machine a "Fused pin" for the peg if you are to worried about it...

FYI: I have found out from experience that Zero speed crashes usually do more damage to the bike that the ones in motion..

Ps: I know you have a RT, but the kick stand in my LT is really wonky too, it give you the "Signal" that is all the way forward, but half the time is Not, so I double make sure is all the way diploid..

The upper subframes mounts are really weak too, I'm just glad the shock never did a Vlad the Impeller on me..
John Brock likes this.
post #21 of 37 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 4:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapz View Post
I dropped my 2013 RT at a McDonald's.
It probably died of embarrassment.
John Brock likes this.

Previous username - ajlelectronics
post #22 of 37 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Quote:

John Brock
Woodway, Wa
I had a similar issue the day after I bought my 2010 R12RT, I took the case covers to the local LineX shop and had them coated for around $100. They don't look bad and are much more resistant to scratches from swinging my leg over and the occasional stupid rider tricks.

Rich White
'10 R1200RT - Thunder Gray Metalic
'83 R65 - Black - Gone but not forgotten
post #23 of 37 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Hey John. I had a similar drop with my new-to-me 2016RT. I had stopped for the night at an inn and parked on a very slight slope so that the bike was nearly vertical on the side stand, against the slope. I unloaded the left hand (uphill) side case and as I did it, apparently the weight in the right hand case was enough to pull the bike over on that side. Good news was that I was parked on pea gravel and all I got was very light scratches on the mirror edge, spark plug cover and the side case. (No engine guards.) Bad news was that I couldn't get enough traction on the pea gravel to pick it up myself and had to get help. Very embarrassing because the manager who helped me was a biker too. We had a good laugh and then he helped find a better spot to park. I'm a lot more selective where I park now. Cheers!
post #24 of 37 Old Oct 17th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Had the same experience 2 weeks ago. Stopped at a bakery (lots of people), parked, got bread, took my jacket and helmet off the bike and, my bike (15 RT) tipped and fell. Took off the side cases and stood the bike back up. Embarrassing, yes. The illium guards were scratched (but save the costly stuff), the footpeg snapped and the side case was scratched. Called illium and they explained how to repaint the guards (winter project). Will pay more attention to the strength of any parking position.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #25 of 37 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 11:33 am

Garage

Well, now I think this thread has jinxed me! After not having a bike for 26 years my nervous wife took us down twice at stop signs yesterday. Since she hadn't been on the back for so long she was very nervous and couldn't sit still which isn't too much of a problem when moving but standing stopped, not so much. The first time it was the right side case that got the chrome trashed which was perfect to that point and the second time it was the left side which already had some minor scratches in the chrome. She tried to say she didn't move the second time but after I said it must have been a ghost that pulled the bike over she didn't say any more. We used to ride in LA traffic and she wasn't that nervous but now that she is older she has gotten a lot more nervous I guess. I guess I need tranquilizers for her until she gets comfortable riding again. I'm loving my LT more every time I ride it and I hope my wife starts to get comfortable and loves it as well soon. The trouble is winter is coming fast and I might have to start the wife break in all over again this spring.
garr2 likes this.

post #26 of 37 Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
Well, now I think this thread has jinxed me! After not having a bike for 26 years my nervous wife took us down twice at stop signs yesterday. Since she hadn't been on the back for so long she was very nervous and couldn't sit still which isn't too much of a problem when moving but standing stopped, not so much. The first time it was the right side case that got the chrome trashed which was perfect to that point and the second time it was the left side which already had some minor scratches in the chrome. She tried to say she didn't move the second time but after I said it must have been a ghost that pulled the bike over she didn't say any more. We used to ride in LA traffic and she wasn't that nervous but now that she is older she has gotten a lot more nervous I guess. I guess I need tranquilizers for her until she gets comfortable riding again. I'm loving my LT more every time I ride it and I hope my wife starts to get comfortable and loves it as well soon. The trouble is winter is coming fast and I might have to start the wife break in all over again this spring.
Good on the two of you for getting back on - to start with and after the first drop.The two of you are made of stern stuff. There is a whole set of under-appreciated skills for both the rider & pillion when 2-up on a bike. And on top of those there's the cobwebs. I'd be very interested to hear how you're going in a year's time.

Ian
Voyager likes this.

post #27 of 37 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 10:52 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
Good on the two of you for getting back on - to start with and after the first drop.The two of you are made of stern stuff. There is a whole set of under-appreciated skills for both the rider & pillion when 2-up on a bike. And on top of those there's the cobwebs. I'd be very interested to hear how you're going in a year's time.

Ian
If I can get her to ride enough to get comfortable again we will be fine but getting her on again will be tough. If she will not ride with me I don't know what I will do as that was a lot of the reason for getting the bike as I wanted to enjoy the outdoors and the Rocky Mountains together now that we are retired and have the time.

post #28 of 37 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goes2fast View Post
...I'm loving my LT more every time I ride it and I hope my wife starts to get comfortable and loves it as well soon. The trouble is winter is coming fast and I might have to start the wife break in all over again this spring.
One of the mutual benefits of marriage is that each partner gets an instant excuse to blame the other for the "oops" of life. My wife & I have made it work with a wink and a smile for over 48 years. Unfortunately, (for her), it fell upon her to be the ADULT in our relationship. She happened to fall in love with a guy with an "unfinished" childhood.

While we respect and support each other's interests, our pursuits take different paths. I'm more of a hands on participatory type person who enjoys wrenching on mechanical stuff (old iron), animals, gardening, riding horses and motorcycles, etc. She suffers from allergies and therefore is more of an indoor type and enjoys supporting and cheering on active and talented people from the sidelines as an encouraging supporter, mom, wife, life coach, counselor, while enjoying the role of spectator.

Early on in our relationship, I had talked her into going to a gathering of us "antique car enthusiasts." It was a very hot summer day. We bounced a hundred miles from home in an un-airconditioned vintage Studebaker truck. The event was on a black asphalt parking lot. It was a Sunday and the stores were closed. As all the men were gathered around our vehicles, hoods up, lost in our excitement, sharing our interests among ourselves...I took a moment to glance over at a place where the women had gathered. Under the shade of an awning, but very little comfort from the heat.

That's when a sense of "shame" washed over me as I saw my beautiful young wife and infant daughter, suffering in the heat, miserable, sweating, developing prickly heat. I had put them in distress because of an interest of mine that they really didn't share and shouldn't be required to. I immediately excused myself from the event, and drove home. On the way I apologized to her and explained that from now on I would never expect her to suffer such misery in the name of "togetherness." We have mutual interests, but we also have interests that are not equally pursued. So... from that day, neither of us have given up our individual pursuits...but have left it as an open invitation to either do it together or apart, with no recriminations. These days, she will accompany me to certain car shows, but we have adapted. I'll be driving a vintage piece of "old-iron," while she's following (her car) in air-conditioned, computer controlled, modern lumbar support comfort, listening to surround sound stereo.

You will not see me riding "two-up"...I enjoy riding my motorcycle and know I would enjoy it less if I had a passenger who really didn't want to be there. Our agreement is closing in on a half-century...so far so good... (all my drops have been accomplished with no assistance)
Voyager and garr2 like this.

post #29 of 37 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 2:15 pm

Dropped my new‒to‒me 2011 RT within 1/4 mile of the dealership. My daughter had driven me out to pick it up and so I decided to buy her lunch to repay her. She drove and I rode to a nearby restaurant. I pulled into a parking spot and put the kick stand down. Miracle of miracles, the engine stopped.

Whaaa?! Did BMW put in a switch that would keep me from riding off with the kick stand down? Let me check. Started the bike up and put the kick stand down. Yes, the engine shut off, but there had been a "jiggle" and perhaps I'd hit the kill switch. Let's try it again. Won't start with the kickstand down. Put it up, started the engine and when I put the stand down again the engine stopped. But wait, did I hit the kill switch again? Wasn't sure so I decided to try it one more time. I put the stand up, started the bike. Put it down the engine shut off. EUREKA!

I tried it a couple more times to confirm and then I got out of sequence. I stepped off the bike with the engine running AND THE KICK STAND STILL UP. I watched, as if in slow motion, the RT tipped over, falling on its right side. Some scratches and scrapes on the right side case, but nothing broken.

I felt like that Yosemite Sam cartoon where he shoots his gun and then blows the smoke out of the barrel. After a few shots he gets out of sequence and first‒blows and then‒shoots himself in his cartoon face.
post #30 of 37 Old Oct 19th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Garage

My wife loves the outdoors as much if not more than I do but she is a very nervous person when it comes to driving in traffic either in a car or bike. She didn't drive at all when we had the last bike but when we moved back to my home state she had no choice since public transportation was not as good here. She is a much better driver than 80% of the others but there are so many bad drivers out there that she is very nervous and having no protection from them other than my driving skill on the bike makes it worse. If I can get her to sit still long enough to get some miles in I think she will be ok, if not the LT will be up for sale next year. I hope not since I waited a long time to get my dream touring bike because of not having the time or money and now I have limited years left to enjoy.

post #31 of 37 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 7:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If I can get her to sit still long enough to get some miles in I think she will be ok, if not the LT will be up for sale next year. I hope not since I waited a long time to get my dream touring bike because of not having the time or money and now I have limited years left to enjoy.
Tricky!
Good wives are much harder to replace than m/cycles. If the two of you can't enjoy the bike together you could sell it ........... and get an RT.
Lighter, less of a handful at low/no speed and a very very capable tourer, an RT might work. At 120kg lighter than the LT, the RT is manageable for people like us who are in the twilight of our riding years. And that opens up another topic altogether - What can we old/er guys do to prolong our riding days? And how do we know when our time is up?

Ian
Voyager likes this.

post #32 of 37 Old Oct 20th, 2019, 8:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
One of the mutual benefits of marriage is that each partner gets an instant excuse to blame the other for the "oops" of life. My wife & I have made it work with a wink and a smile for over 48 years. Unfortunately, (for her), it fell upon her to be the ADULT in our relationship. She happened to fall in love with a guy with an "unfinished" childhood.

While we respect and support each other's interests, our pursuits take different paths. I'm more of a hands on participatory type person who enjoys wrenching on mechanical stuff (old iron), animals, gardening, riding horses and motorcycles, etc. She suffers from allergies and therefore is more of an indoor type and enjoys supporting and cheering on active and talented people from the sidelines as an encouraging supporter, mom, wife, life coach, counselor, while enjoying the role of spectator.

Early on in our relationship, I had talked her into going to a gathering of us "antique car enthusiasts." It was a very hot summer day. We bounced a hundred miles from home in an un-airconditioned vintage Studebaker truck. The event was on a black asphalt parking lot. It was a Sunday and the stores were closed. As all the men were gathered around our vehicles, hoods up, lost in our excitement, sharing our interests among ourselves...I took a moment to glance over at a place where the women had gathered. Under the shade of an awning, but very little comfort from the heat.

That's when a sense of "shame" washed over me as I saw my beautiful young wife and infant daughter, suffering in the heat, miserable, sweating, developing prickly heat. I had put them in distress because of an interest of mine that they really didn't share and shouldn't be required to. I immediately excused myself from the event, and drove home. On the way I apologized to her and explained that from now on I would never expect her to suffer such misery in the name of "togetherness." We have mutual interests, but we also have interests that are not equally pursued. So... from that day, neither of us have given up our individual pursuits...but have left it as an open invitation to either do it together or apart, with no recriminations. These days, she will accompany me to certain car shows, but we have adapted. I'll be driving a vintage piece of "old-iron," while she's following (her car) in air-conditioned, computer controlled, modern lumbar support comfort, listening to surround sound stereo.

You will not see me riding "two-up"...I enjoy riding my motorcycle and know I would enjoy it less if I had a passenger who really didn't want to be there. Our agreement is closing in on a half-century...so far so good... (all my drops have been accomplished with no assistance)
I agree 100%. Fortunately, my wife seemed to enjoy my main hobbies pretty well (flying, riding and shooting) and has traveled with me on all but one of my long distance rides, including three tours of Europe and the UK and Alaska and back this year. However, there are some things we do separately as that is not a bad thing either. The important thing is the find the right balance that works for you. We only have 36 years so you are well ahead of me!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #33 of 37 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 12:38 am

I've gotten in the habit of riding to my selected stopping point and putting the sidestand down to shut off the engine, while watching it to be sure it's all the way forward. Then I let go of both the brake and clutch and let the bike roll itself forward or backward to wherever the engine holds it and finally I ease the bike onto the sidestand while I watch. This means I always park in gear with engine compression holding the bike. If the front wheel is uphill, the sidestand supplements compression to keep it in place. If the front wheel is downhill, compression does all the work and minimizes the chance that the sidestand will fold up. I have never understood the reasoning behind parking a motorcycle in neutral. Does anyone park their car in neutral?

It's worth taking the time to pick a place where the bike has enough weight on the sidestand that it won't be easy to push over (me, wind, or a curious 10 year old), but not so much I can't stand it up when it's time to leave. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time riding in circles looking for such a place. Sometimes I have to park crosswise in a parking place instead of lengthwise if it has too much camber (just be sure you can get out if someone parks next to you).

2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)

post #34 of 37 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 11:29 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
Tricky!
Good wives are much harder to replace than m/cycles. If the two of you can't enjoy the bike together you could sell it ........... and get an RT.
Lighter, less of a handful at low/no speed and a very very capable tourer, an RT might work. At 120kg lighter than the LT, the RT is manageable for people like us who are in the twilight of our riding years. And that opens up another topic altogether - What can we old/er guys do to prolong our riding days? And how do we know when our time is up?

Ian
A different bike will not cure her nerves so if she can't get over it I will just sell it and do our touring with 4 wheels.

post #35 of 37 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider2 View Post
I have never understood the reasoning behind parking a motorcycle in neutral. Does anyone park their car in neutral?
I forget where the discussion took place, but I had an exchange with someone who did it because he was afraid that he might start his bike in gear and have it fly across the garage, crashing into the wall. Apparently his bike, a HD I think, did not have a 'kick stand shut off.' He did not have the habit of pulling in the clutch and engaging a brake to prevent that.
post #36 of 37 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 3:51 pm

Garage

Knocked bike over packing left pannier? BTDT on my 2006 RT but it was in grass at an Illinois KOA. Now if I have a side loading bag I take the bag off of the bike before trying to force the lid closed.
post #37 of 37 Old Oct 21st, 2019, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Dood View Post
I forget where the discussion took place, but I had an exchange with someone who did it because he was afraid that he might start his bike in gear and have it fly across the garage, crashing into the wall. Apparently his bike, a HD I think, did not have a 'kick stand shut off.' He did not have the habit of pulling in the clutch and engaging a brake to prevent that.
Um, OK?

I was taught to drive on a standard transmission and the drill was (in order): Foot on brake, stomp clutch, shift to neutral, pump gas (carburetor, automatic choke, remember them?), turn key. So I basically do the same thing on my bike aside from neutral is hard enough to find when warmed up and running let alone cold and stationary, and FI means no messing with a choke.

I'm aware that some start the bike in neutral and let it warm up for 10 minutes or more before riding off, but I think it's just like any other engine, it warms up faster under (gentle) load. So I sit on the bike, start it, give about 10 -15 seconds for oil pressure to build, then ride off. Within a couple of miles it's fully warmed up and ready for anything I ask of it.
goes2fast likes this.

2020 R1250 GSAW Low
2016 R1200 GSAW Low (traded)
2015 R1200 RT (traded)
2012 K1600 GTL (traded)
2012 R1200 RT (totaled, RIP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in