BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

DOH! Finally happened to me!

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ppger 
#1 ·
Well, it finally happened to me -- the dreaded "drop your bike in the driveway" mishap. I was pushing back out of the garage, turned the wheel to drive out of the driveway, not enough gas, killed it, bikes starts tipping over, down it S-L-O-W-L-Y went. Arggh. Now I have a scraped left side head and saddlebag. At least they're on the bottom so they aren't too noticeable, but I know they are there. Ugh.

Now I have to decide whether to live with the minor scrapes or put a claim on my comprehensive insurance...

#2 ·
That's a bummer but at least you're not hurt physically presumably. I think that would be a claim under the collision portion of your insurance policy if you are paying for that, and often that would have a deductible level you signed up for. May not be worth filing a claim because of those factors and also it might not cost too much to repaint the side case and replace the valve cover if that's all that was affected.

#3 ·
Welcome to the club. Happened to me 2 days after I put Ilium Works engine and sidecase bars on my bike. A couple of dabs of flat black paint on the Ilium stuff and it was good as new. Not a scratch on anything labeled BMW.
I'm glad you're O.K.

#4 ·
If we were all brutally honest...you are likely now a member of the largest "incident-experience" group of motorcycle owners.:wave If the word "scratch" offends you...replace it with the word "opportunity." It will provide you with an opportunity to learn new skills, (like sanding, painting, buffing, etc.) and then experience the joy of accomplishment.

If you have no interest or time to devote to such activities, then take the opportunity to make a new friend and seek out a local craftsman to do the work for you. Skilled body & painters are good to know for the next time some turf monster trips you up.:wink:

If that thought is not appealing, then replace the words "damage or scratches" with the word "Patina"...

And get back on and just ride!:smile::bmw:

#5 ·
Welcome to the club!

I don't know about your insurance policy, but for me it's doubtful I would ever file a claim for what will likely be a pretty inexpensive repair. Filing a claim goes on your record and can result in higher premiums down the road, regardless of the size of the claim. If you absolutely have to get it fixed, I would follow the advice of a previous post and just find a skilled local painter.

#6 · (Edited)
I kind of like the word "patina"

When I bought the 2014 R1200RT a year ago the finish was great, maybe a little boot scuffing on the bags. Last month in Quebec I was leaving a parking lot, turning right, when I had to stop for traffic. My right boot hit loose gravel and the bike went down on the right side. The covers over the valve covers were unmarked. No real damage to the bag but some new patina (scratches).

I'll decide over the winter whether to repaint the bag. I may also get Illium rear bars.

#8 ·
That stinks!

When it happened to me I couldn’t stop thinking about it and noticed it all the time. I Asked a paint shop what they would suggest and was told to first take a razor blade and lightly scrape off the jagged scratches. (Sounds like mine may have been worse than yours) That took very little time. Then I lightly rubbed some 5000 grit sandpaper over the scratches. Finally I polished the parts with a plastic protector like you would for your car dash. Honestly after 3 months I don’t even notice anymore. You would have to get up close and see the imperfections. But it looks really good.
You can always find the head cover for relatively low cost here:
https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com
Easy to replace.
Then do what you can on the bag using the touch ups.
Just a few thoughts.
Remember, it’s just material. Enjoy your ride!

#9 ·
Looking at the scratches I was planning to use the razor blade and fine sandpaper approach first. The bag also has some reflective tape spelling R1200RT that is scuffed up but probably protected the paint a bit. I can take that off, touch up the paint, and ask the original owner where he got the tape letters.

My view for now is to not be bothered by it and ride the bike until snow time. After 15 years of riding a R80RT that has earned its 35 years of patina the R1200RT looks great to me.

#10 ·
So, I took off the saddlebag. Rubbing compound, clay bar, and wax and I think I can live with it since it's on the underside and I don't even see it when it's on the side stand. Sanding smooth the scrape on the cylinder head cover with some 600 and 1500 sandpaper. Now, who can tell when color of silver paint to touch up where I sanded?

Thanks!

#12 ·
I just replied on John Brock's thread for a similar incident.
I dropped my 2010 R12RT the day after I bought it. I took the case covers to the local LineX shop and had them coat the covers. They are now much more resistant to scratches from the occasional boot scraping as I throw my leg over and if the bike gets dropped. Cost about $100, well worth it. I did mine in black to go with the Thunder Grey Metallic, but they do a lot of other colors these days.

#13 ·
Well, I found out that the color for the rims, valve covers, etc is BMW 954 white aluminum.

Reactions: pkpr1998
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.