BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Pay It Forward

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Pappy53 
#1 ·
I have long thought that sometimes it's either not worth selling something or it is worth more to give things away to someone who might really need it more than I need a few bucks. I have received several items this way, and given quite a few away.

I have a stock front heated seat off my 2016 R1200RT that is free to whomever wants to pay shipping. I just shipped a back seat to CA from TX and dropping it off at the UPS store was $57 so take that as an estimate for shipping costs.

Perhaps we can keep a Pay It Forward thread going for a while.

Greg
near Kerrville TX

#6 ·
I'm a beneficiary of Greg's philosophy and generosity. I had been looking for a pillion seat to be made into an RDL but couldn't find one. Greg gave me his. His OEM seat is now in transit between Kerrville, Texas and Shasta Lake, California, from where after a Russell makeover it will make its way to Vincentia, Australia. 'Onya Greg!
Generosity is contagious.
I have some new and as new parts and tools for an 2004 R1150 RT. I'd have to dig around in the shed to find exactly what's there but I know it includes 2 or 3 stick coils, a tool for balancing the throttle bodies, and some seals used for oil changes. I'll get back with a list of what I have to pay forward.

Ian

#13 ·
I've got -
oil filter tool
oil filters (x3)
outer valve cover gaskets (x4)
inner valve cover gaskets (x7)
spark plugs – primary (4), secondary (2)
secondary brake circuit brake fluid funnel
BBAS o-rings (2)
oil drain plug crush washers (x5)
fairing screws, washers & capture nuts (x6)
throttle body blanking plugs (x5)
fuel plate gasket
1 set of EBC rear brake pads
oil sight glass window
alternator belt
air filter
Moly 60 paste for splines (x2)
Carbmate 60 carburettor vacuum intake synchronisation tool
Speed bleeders for front brakes, rear brakes, clutch, ABS unit
stick coils (x2)
feeler gauges for valve clearances (x4)

Ian

#7 ·
gotcha... I just basically gave away my used SPOT Tracker... and it felt good to know it has gone to a good home.

#8 ·
Carl - don't take this as a criticism, but just my personal outlook - I have 2 helmets that I have sitting in my closet. They are over 6 years old, a Shoei Neotec and a Nolan (forgot the model) that I had worn for many years. I would be more than happy to give them away, BUT I don't thing that it's a good thing to do so. The helmet is a safety item, and the reason that these 2 are sitting in my closet is because they have gone past their safe "life", which was the reason why I had bought a new helmet at the beginning of this year. So, should I give away helmets that might no longer be safe? I decided that I would not do that, even though both helmets looks like new. You never know what kind of situation that the new owner might be in, regardless of what you tell him/her, and I for one would not want to be responsible for potentially unsafe helmet!

BTW, I also can't face the thought of throwing away what looks like perfectly good helmets! What a dilemma!!!

Reactions: garr2
#9 ·
PadG,
No offense taken. Other than spelling my name wrong :grin:. You make a good point about the helmet. I shall remove it immediately. I will continue however to look for some of his other things that may be of use to others. I think I still have his boots also. This PIF idea is a good idea and I would like to see it continue.

#10 ·
I purchased a brand new battery from Amazon in March of 2019 for my 2012 R1200RT. The battery never got installed before I traded the bike in for a new 1250Rt. If you live in the San Jose/Milpitas Bay Area of California and want to come pick up the battery let me know. I don’t want to ship the battery but you’re welcome to come pick it up. The battery description from amazon is Yuasa (YUAM6219BL) YT19BL-BS Sealed Battery. It’s brand new in the box and electrolytes have not been in installed into the battery cells yet.

#12 ·
Sorry Cal, blaming it on age!!! ;)

#15 ·
I like the "Pay it forward" philosophy.

Two years ago I was in middle of nowhere Oregon when with the R80RT when the oil cooler cracked. (I know, R80RT's did not come with oil coolers but mine has one). It only leaked when you were pushing the bike hard/hot and it was not losing a lot of oil. I limped the bike about 300 miles to my nieces house where I planned to either have a cooler shipped in or make a bypass tube. I checked the Airheads group directory, there was a member near that offered shop help. I called him, he said bring the bike over and we could put it on his lift to work on it. When I got there he handed me an oil cooler. He had found it in his extra parts box. We checked it with compressed air, it seemed good. We swapped it for my cracked cooler. I pressed him on what I owed him for the cooler. His reply was that whenever someone called from the Airheads book I should help them.

So far I have not had the opportunity to give away any parts, but I did show a local airhead rider who found me how to wrench on his bike and he knows my lift is available if he needs it.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
I'm a beneficiary of Greg's philosophy and generosity. I had been looking for a pillion seat to be made into an RDL but couldn't find one. Greg gave me his. His OEM seat is now in transit between Kerrville, Texas and Shasta Lake, California, from where after a Russell makeover it will make its way to Vincentia, Australia. 'Onya Greg!
Generosity is contagious.
I have some new and as new parts and tools for an 2004 R1150 RT. I'd have to dig around in the shed to find exactly what's there but I know it includes 2 or 3 stick coils, a tool for balancing the throttle bodies, and some seals used for oil changes. I'll get back with a list of what I have to pay forward.

Ian
I've got -
oil filter tool
oil filters (x3)
outer valve cover gaskets (x4)
inner valve cover gaskets (x7)
spark plugs – primary (4), secondary (2)
secondary brake circuit brake fluid funnel
BBAS o-rings (2)
oil drain plug crush washers (x5)
fairing screws, washers & capture nuts (x6)
throttle body blanking plugs (x5)
fuel plate gasket
1 set of EBC rear brake pads
oil sight glass window
alternator belt
air filter
Moly 60 paste for splines (x2)
Carbmate 60 carburettor vacuum intake synchronisation tool
Speed bleeders for front brakes, rear brakes, clutch, ABS unit
stick coils (x2)
feeler gauges for valve clearances (x4)

PM received from member of r1150r.net forum

#18 ·
Quite confusing... Is this what you want to give away or is it someone else's stuff from r1150r.net? I cannot PM you, could you please PM me re stick coils and Carbmate? Thank you very much.
This is my stuff. I put the offer & list on this forum and on the r1150.net forum. A guy from the r1150 forum PM'd me and he's getting the lot. To be honest i wasn't interested in splitting it up and packing numerous packages, going to the post office numerous times and sending parcels off to numerous parts of the world.
Sorry for the confusion.

Ian

#19 · (Edited)
*** items have been requested and no longer available ***

I have benefited from wichitagreg’s generosity/philosophy of Pay It Forward and would like to reciprocate.

I have OEM rear passenger foot pegs and the GPS cover and a silver 6 that can replace the OEM black 6 on the right cylinder side. All parts are from a 2018 K1600B. If your interested they are yours for the cost of shipping.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#20 ·
PM sent on the K16 stuff.

My foot pegs ended up being donated to a K16 Iron Butt Rally rider at one of the IBR checkpoints.

Figured he needed them more than me at that point...

#21 ·
I have the factory heated front seat from my '12 RT in the garage.

I also have the stock windscreen and Cee Bailey's medium sized screen with a green tint.

Probably have some other stuff out there, but those are the biggies, I believe.

PM me if interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.