BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Helite (Turtle 2) Airbag Vest

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  NoelCP 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 R1200RT and purchased a Helite (Turtle 2) Airbag Vest.

Their user guides states "Ideally you can remove the saddle and find a sturdy point close to the tank. The attachment point SHOULD NOT BE LOWER THAN THE BOTTOM OF THE SADDLE". It also states "Do not attach the tether strap to the handle bar". It is also recommended to NOT place the anchor point behind the rider.

I cannot find a place under the RTW seat to attach the tether. Has anyone who owns the Helite Vest overcome this problem?

#3 ·
Don't worry too much about their advice, I have had a Helite tether on a 2014 for 4 years and now have it on my 1250.

If you remove the seat, secure the tether around the frame member running along the left side. Then have the tether come up through the the bracket that the seat height bar sits on (if that makes sense). Then the tether comes up roughly central between the seat and the tank. It works fine, I know, I got pushed off from a rear end on a RTp, which had the tether in the same place. vest was inflated before I hit the ground :). I'll take a pic and try and upload later

#4 ·
Then route so it sits in the middle of the tank when the seat is in position. Its a bit of a pain to get the right lengh. I adjust mine so if I stand on the pegs the tether is fully extended and taught. With that length I can also get off the left side without the bag deploying, although it takes quite a pull to set if off accidentally, when I first got the vest, I often forgot to undo the tether, but the bag never deployed, I just stopped when I felt the pull.

Attachments

#5 ·
Had mine at the seat height frame tube for a year now. Biggest thing is it is where you can reach it easily and ideally see it. I lay mine across the seat so I see it when I get on the bike, but it is pretty much a habit now.

IMHO what a great device. Built in back pad gives good air flow with a riding jacket that has no back pad as it is not needed. Hi Viz for sure, cant miss it!

Shameless Plug: I have a XXL and have lost 44 pounds so would like to sell it and get a smaller size or trade if someone is interested. I still wear it but I can get a bit more then the fist distance from my riding cloths that is the correct distance you need for it to expand. PM me if you would like to work something out.

#7 ·
Not sure in the States, but in the UK, Airvest.co.uk, who are the UK distributor, Europe, will do a part ex depending on age of vest. I just got £200 for my 3 year old turtle in exchange for a turtle 2 in hi vis, my original was black. It was up for servicing, so taking the service cost and the trade in, worked out reasonable to change the vest for a new one

#6 ·
Mine is attached to the left side frame rail, just to the rear of the left rear bolt that holds the seat height bracket.

I also installed the short tethered female accessory clip to my left grip/control of the handled bar and click the loose end of the tether into that when I remove it. I was forgetting to plug in the vest when leaving the tether on the seat.....Having it clipped onto the bar makes it hard to miss!

#8 ·
People, tell me how much of a PIA this item is to actually live with, how often you don it, etc. It surely seems like it could provide very meaningful protection while at the same time yet another piece of equipment to don. I use a FF helmet, armored pants/jacket, and taller armored boot and gloves. Do you use it only when doing longer rides, always, etc? I'm kind of guessing I'd use it only on longer rides w/o stops. Prior to the snowfall that just hit today I've been doing 60-110m rides into the local mountains (CO's Front Range) twice a week, and local 30-40m rides in the flatter areas in some light traffic maybe 3-4d/wk. I've been on the fence with it so would appreciate more user insight after you've lived with an air vest for awhile. Thanks

#9 ·
I wear mine EVERY time I get on the bike.

Why have a piece of equipment and not use it?

Like I say you get to loose your back pads from all your riding gear and that adds comfort for me. It also seems to ventilate much better especially in the Stitch Jacket with the rear vents set to what I need.

It is 4 clicks to put on and that includes the tether to arm it once you are on the bike.

I CAN NOT take another neck injury and this thing really protects that area as well as chest, ribs, and back.

Everyone wears what they want and assumes their own risk management for themselves. I want every meager penny from my retirement for as many years as I can draw it:grin:

Reactions: rapz and NoelCP
#10 ·
I agree w/LAF... been wearing a HirAir vest for 3 years now...and wear it EVERY TIME.

Putting it on and remembering to unclip when I stopped was a PITA at first, but soon it became second nature and I don’t feel it slows me down now.

Just a few clicks and I’m ready to go - between that and the D3O armor I retrofitted my riding gear with I feel better protected.

If it saves me from (or reduces the severity of) a serious injury it’s worth the expense, time/effort.

That being said I also have a LifeFlight membership :)

Ride safe!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Less pain then a helmet.

Guys get geared up all the time and throw a High Viz vest on, this is no more work then that.

Shameless Plug any big guys want a deal on a as new high viz vest? It is as new, and for what they cost it gets preference for care when it is out.

#13 ·
I too would say it is less hassle than a helmet. I am convinced the protection it offers may be just as important as a helmet.

I wear it every time. Once on the bike and hooked up I can forget it is even on me. The weight isn't noticed. Doesn't rub on anything. It really isn't all that thick, which was a surprise. The back armor is very large....and probable far above anything else in protection...and you remove the armor out of your regular riding jacket. So, there is very little added bulk when wearing the airbag vest.

I wish there was a way to have velcro tabs on it. And some on the jackets you wear. That way you would unbuckle the vest....and simply remove it WITH your jacket. That would make it almost no work at all to use. Regardless, it is easier to use than I expected.

#14 ·
No buyer's remorse in these replies that's great. Thanks it is moving me closer to accepting the reality that w/o it, as an uber-safety conscious and practicing rider it's a bit odd for me not to use one!

#15 ·
People, tell me how much of a PIA this item is to actually live with, how often you don it, etc
OK here goes.
1) When I wear the vest it partially covers the vents of my jacket so it is probably a little warmer wearing it in summer. The Helite vented jacket (rather than vest) with airbag built in solves this problem.
2) When I put the vest on over my jacket I have to put on 2 items of clothing. When I take it off I have to take off and then store 2 items rather than 1. The Helite vented jacket (rather than vest) with airbag built in solves this problem.
3) Sometimes (1 in 20) I forget to connect the tether before riding off. Happens less often now it has been incorporated in to my mounting/starting/riding off procedure. If I have forgotten to connect, I soon realise and either pull over or use cruise control to free up both hands to get the job done quickly. [enter disclaimer here].
4) It is possible to deploy the airbag when getting off the bike. BANG! I've done it.
When getting off the bike in the normal way (however you do it) you get a tugging reminder well before it detonates if you have forgotten to detach.
If you get off the bike in a weird way as you have to when fully loaded (see pic) - you know hopping backwards on your left foot while dragging your right leg over the seat - then BANG! I've only ever done it once and the Australian distributor of Helite tells me I'm the only person he's ever heard of doing it. I'm special!

[URL="[/URL]

Having said all that I wear my airbag whenever I ride, even up the road to get fuel.
I might be special but I'm not stupid.

Ian

#23 ·
OK here goes.

1) When I wear the vest it partially covers the vents of my jacket so it is probably a little warmer wearing it in summer. The Helite vented jacket (rather than vest) with airbag built in solves this problem.

2) When I put the vest on over my jacket I have to put on 2 items of clothing. When I take it off I have to take off and then store 2 items rather than 1. The Helite vented jacket (rather than vest) with airbag built in solves this problem.

3) Sometimes (1 in 20) I forget to connect the tether before riding off. Happens less often now it has been incorporated in to my mounting/starting/riding off procedure. If I have forgotten to connect, I soon realise and either pull over or use cruise control to free up both hands to get the job done quickly. [enter disclaimer here].

4) It is possible to deploy the airbag when getting off the bike. BANG! I've done it.

When getting off the bike in the normal way (however you do it) you get a tugging reminder well before it detonates if you have forgotten to detach.

If you get off the bike in a weird way as you have to when fully loaded (see pic) - you know hopping backwards on your left foot while dragging your right leg over the seat - then BANG! I've only ever done it once and the Australian distributor of Helite tells me I'm the only person he's ever heard of doing it. I'm special!

[url=https://ibb.co/sJRLdWV][img]https://i.ibb.co/fGFmzDx/IMG-2306.jpg[/img][/URL]

Having said all that I wear my airbag whenever I ride, even up the road to get fuel.

I might be special but I'm not stupid.

Ian

I’ve never inadvertently set off my HitAir vest...it takes at least 66 lbs (30kg) of force to trigger it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#16 ·
I never take the vest off separately, when I take my jacket off, the vest comes off with it, and it lives on the jacket on a hangar.

A airbag jacket is a good idea, but I have more than one jacket, vented for summer and a Rukka jacket for winter, so the vest works as it can be used with any jacket. I ride all year around :)

In 3 years I have not managed to set the bag off by stepping off the bike, its now second nature to disconnect the tether, although I have had the tether go tight, but not enough to set the canister off.

Great bit of kit.

#17 ·
^

I have 4 different jackets/suits I might wear at a given time. So while I do like the idea of a jacket with the airbag it isn't a viable option for everyone.

I need to work on keeping the vest on the jacket when I take them off......

#18 ·
So any big guys want to try a almost new XXL vest for a reasonable amount? PM if you would like to.

#24 ·
I’ve never inadvertently set off my HitAir vest...it takes at least 66 lbs (30kg) of force to trigger it...
Yes my improvised ballet when dismounting a full loaded bike is a force (>66lbs apparently) to be reckoned with.
But agreed, it's pretty hard to do.

Ian

#26 ·
I said-
It is possible to deploy the airbag when getting off the bike. BANG! I've done it.
mrbongo said -
I managed to trigger it. I jumped off the opposite side of the bike to what I normally do at a gas station and kaboom, Michelin man ... it works though
Perhaps mrbongo and I should donate our brains to science to find out what what causes this to happen.

Ian

#27 ·
My Helite has found a good home. I have already ordered my new one!

Good stuff to have a size that fits coming.

#30 ·
Riding season in NE Ohio starts TODAY (for me anyway)! After reading the other thread comparing +'s & -'s of all the current inflatable vests, I chose the Turtle II.

Now, to move the snow blower, my wife's new Saburu Crosstrek and other goodies stored near the RT, I'll secure the tether strap and enjoy a ride in 60 deg (F) weather! HooRaH! :dance:

Thanks for all of the input.

p.s. Looks like I'll be cancelling the trip to Sicily & the Amalfi coast. Unfortunately the virus is spreading even with the isolation attempts in the northern provinces. 7,375 total cases up 25.4% from yesterday and now 18 cases in Sicily. Might have trouble returning to the states in May as well. :(

https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/2020/coronavirus-i-contagi-in-italia/?ref=nrct-2

From Johns Hopkins CSSE: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Reactions: LIRider and LAF
#31 ·
Was a nice day here in PA also PadG.

Sorry to hear I am not going on your trips with you this year as I enjoyed our trip so much last year:grin: Well at least your film of it:wink:

Yes much is made of a virus that if people would just wash their hands correctly could help stop it. And only us old guys on this forum have to worry over it. 55 and on if you have underlying health issues. A 25 year old just gonna get sick and get better. Again the Flu kills more people then this every single year. And what have people been doing about washing their hands? How can we have a run on hand soap and such? What have they been washing their hands with up until now?

On topic you are going to love the Vest. I feel so much better in it knowing that I have a lot more protection if something goes wrong. It is less then a good helmet cost wise but IMHO just as important. Order a extra canister for it to carry just in case. I have one I carry. Also if you can try one on for sizing it would be good. Your torso length is the most important measurement. That is why they make a L for Long in 2 sizes I think. You need it to be over your hips just a bit as you have to figure when it deploys everything is moving up and out so what is hanging moves out and up on inflation. As I have said to me in the summer it is no hotter because of having air flow with no back pad in my riding jacket.

Reactions: mrbongo
#35 ·
I use a Hit Air vest and could not be happier. Haven't noticed any real airflow (heating) problems using also my mesh jacket and I live in Southwest. Hard to understand why people don't take advantage of all the safety features available to make your ride safer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.