SPOT Tracker - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Boxflyer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Yesterday, 9:12 am Thread Starter

SPOT Tracker

Note: this is not advertising, it is information...
I was looking for something in my garage yesterday and ran across my SPOT tracker. I had forgotten it was there. It is a locator device that allows people to find you on a road trip- or just when you are away from home. SPOT offers the ability for other to know where you are- anywhere in the country- and this is displayed on a map from their website.

This has to be an early model but it worked fine for me when I used it. I do not know what is is worth nor if the battery is good yet. I have a mounting bracket and an arm that used to go to one of the bolts on the '05 RT I had. I may have paperwork on it somewhere but have not had a chance to look yet.

I am not certain but think that it might not work if it is too near a B/T device but I recall it worked fine on my'05 even when I had my phone in my jacket.

Anyone interested please drop me a PM. I am not trying to make a buck here- just cover the shipping and maybe something a bit more.
There is a SPOT Tracker website for information on their service. I do not recall there being a charge for tracking...

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:53 am

Garage
Re: SPOT Tracker

Hopz...If I didn't already have one of these, I'd be all over this offer from you!!!

I owned one of the first versions of this SPOT Tracker and had good luck with it.
Now I have, and use, the SPOT Gen3 version (current inventory) of it and have also been happy with it's performance.

This is like lots of devices today, if they are used within their intended design parameters, you should be happy with it...if you are trying to make it do something that it was not supposed to do in the first place, you might be disappointed.

I currently have every option available from the subscription service selected and it costs me about $290/yr. When I started out with the earlier version of my SPOT device in 2011, the service was $230/yr. This includes replacement of the device if it's lost.

I've found that using the FindMeSpot.com default interface to share your position with others is rather clunky and most of my family and friends that I have shared the link to my travels with don't follow where I am after a few times of going to the website.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

There are several ways to connect your SPOT position to various social media providers if that's the way you would like to share your position or display an adventure.

For the last 7yrs, I have been utilizing another online tracking interface service to pick up the SPOT signal and then display where I am in a nicer format. This, as many of you may already be using is SpotWalla.

With SpotWalla, you can control many aspects of your trip tracking details to show elements to your shared contacts and maintain privacy of this information. The SpotWalla interface service is FREE and after a couple of times setting it up is not too difficult to create "TRIPS" to provide a WWW link to those that you think you want to monitor your location.

Primarily, the SPOT Tracker is a SAFETY DEVICE, not a flashy way to allow people to see where are, or have been.
As with other SATELLITE Trackers, this device does not rely on any Cell Network for determining your position or conveying messaging for Emergency Services, but does need a pretty clear view of the sky to keep in touch with the GPS satellite system as well as the GlobalStar satellite network to be effective.

There are various levels of transmitted messages from the SPOT Tracker to include current position, simple Check-In messages, pre determined TXT messages, and of course, sending out a call for EMERGENCY services contact and recovery in case of an accident or similar.

From a personal point of view, I know that my family feels much better about my motorcycle riding trips if they are assured that I can send for help if I really need it and that my safety is enhanced with such a small device that works in remote locations as well as in an urban jungle.

I have looked at the version of the device Hopz has and see that it is still covered under the FindMeSpot tracking service and is described fully on this site. https://www.findmespot.com/en/

As an example of the SpotWalla display using my SPOT Gen3, here is a trip I did out to do WetHead Tech Day in Ft. Collins with CAP and then some great riding in the Rocky's. THANKS CAP!!!

wspollack likes this.

2016 R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:01 am

Garage

Understanding GPS coordinate systems in use today...

2016 R1200RT

post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the current information...

FYI: I just opened the SPOT Tracker for inspection and the batteries are still perfect- and the meter shows they are still with full charge- Love Lithium batteries... fYI.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 1:49 pm

Pm sent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 3:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

One of our riding buddies has one and it's nice to have. I thought of getting one, but my wife said, "no, because every time you stop moving I'd wonder if you're okay!". Nevertheless, your offer is great and someone should take that off your hands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapz View Post
One of our riding buddies has one and it's nice to have. I thought of getting one, but my wife said, "no, because every time you stop moving I'd wonder if you're okay!". Nevertheless, your offer is great and someone should take that off your hands.

I have my “custom” message set to say I’ve made a stop and all is well so spouse doesn’t worry if I’m not moving. I’ll hit it if I’m stopping for more than gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 8:00 am Thread Starter

Well... sgroover won the lottery... unit is on the way to him.

Thanks to all respondents....

Now let me dig through other things in the garage... will keep you posted.

2014 R1200RT WC

post #9 of 9 Old Today, 3:10 pm

Garage

I have the Spot 3 also and am happy with it but my friends who travel allot more than me all say that these are better and work off a better system. I do not no this from personal use but on my next big trip I will be buying one. https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Satell...a-568514111889

Much older Jap bikes and HD's
Most recent:
2006 HD Street Glide
2009 HD Street Glide
2006 FJR
2006FJR
2013 KLR650
2015 BMW R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in