ABS issues '03 r1150rt - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Oct 6th, 2019, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

ABS issues '03 r1150rt

Good afternoon all,
This '03 ,r1150rt is my first foray into a BMW motorcycle. My last bike was an '03 Road King.
My issue is, I bought the bike in April with the abs light flashing at 4hz and the brake light on constantly.
I pulled the relay for the abs to stop the flashing. The brakes never felt bad, although I don't have another BMW to compare.
I was told the dealer said the abs unit needed replacing. I planned on having it rebuilt this winter.
The reason for my post is, recently as suddenly, whenever I apply the rear brake the servos kick in and won't stop. Even when the pedal is released. While the servo or servos are engaged the braking is quite harsh. Oddly this does not occur when the front brake is used. The first time this occurred I could turn the ignition off and restart it eliminating the problem. Not so any more. The fluid levels that I see are within range. My brake light functions with the pedal or lever.
I'm at a cross road of either removing the abs altogether or repairing. I done have the funds for new or dealer service.
Any advise on either direction would be appreciated.
I might add, I had planned on replacing the old rubber brake lines when repairing the abs unit. And I have no idea when the system was flushed last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 6:59 am

Re: ABS issues '03 r1150rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACollins View Post
I'm at a cross road of either removing the abs altogether or repairing.
Remove the unit.
Replace your brake lines with stainless steel items.
Send me a PM with your email address, and I will send you a photo walk through of how to remove the iABS system.
There is a company that has claimed to rebuild the unit (ModuleMaster), but for the last 15 years, they say that they will be starting repairs to this particular unit 'soon'.
The brakes feel better without the iABS anyway.
It's your choice.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old Oct 7th, 2019, 12:15 pm

I agree, remove the unit. The 02 through 06 bmw bikes have the servo assist brake system which you have. They tend to fail in old age. Do some search on here about servo brakes. A german company can repair this for about $1100 round trip to Germany and labor on your part to install.
Just as an aside, you mentioned fluids look good for what you see. There are two more reservoirs in the ABS unit. They are called the wheel circuits. Your exterior reservoirs are the control circuits. Get a Clymers manual for your bike. You have a bit of a learning curve to mount at the moment. There are a couple systems that require some knowledge to get the best out of them on your bike.
Here is a search for "servo brakes", plenty of good reading here.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search....archid=6386757

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 9 Old Oct 8th, 2019, 4:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Just as an aside, you mentioned fluids look good for what you see. There are two more reservoirs in the ABS unit. They are called the wheel circuits. Your exterior reservoirs are the control circuits.
+1 to that.
All you can see when you look at the front and rear reservoirs is the 'control' circuit. This fluid is totally separate from the fluid circuit that actually actuate the brake pads.

post #5 of 9 Old Oct 12th, 2019, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I did in fact check the reservoirs in the abs unit and were both full. I was also able to reset the unit by grounding out the #20 pin. The servo running constantly when the rear brake was applied has stopped. I did remove the abs unit so I can access the fuel pump so have a leaky line.
I think I'll take the general consensus and remove the abs.
Thanks again for the replies!
post #6 of 9 Old Oct 13th, 2019, 12:10 am

This is just side info, (your unit is old and I feel it has failed) But, check if there is a stone or something keeping your rear brake lever from returning to neutral position. Is you brake light going off as it should? Here is a place for either a bypass block or rebuild. The first is the mechanics of it, the rehelectronics is where to buy repair parts or send your unit if you choose. Best of luck and please follow up with your situation for others to benefit from.
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt...ng-repair.html
https://rhelectronics.de/
Personally I would buy the bypass block. Never have any problems. The servo system is nasty. Save you a whole lot of hassle bleeding the brakes in the future.
Patric likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 Old Oct 23rd, 2019, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Is there a kit or list of parts to bypass the abs block?
Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 12:37 am

Here is a kit to replace the ABSIII unit. A bypass kit. This company can also repair your ABS unit for about $1000 round trip. I see the correct year and model but I don't see 1150 in the list. There is a place to type in your VIN and bike data to confirm. A possible email may be in order also.
https://shop.rhelectronics.de/shop/p...can-2/?lang=en

Beech

post #9 of 9 Old Oct 24th, 2019, 6:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACollins View Post
Is there a kit or list of parts to bypass the abs block?
Thanks in advance!
PM me with your email. I will send you a photo walkthru. On the 1150 you don't need to replace much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in