BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Seat height, change low to standard or high, possible?

5K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  Pappy53 
#1 ·
I have bought a '12 R1200RT. The bike is currently 850 miles away and I'm having it delivered. Currently the bike has the low seat. I am 6'1" and have a 32/33 inseam. I suspect the current seat will have me looking like one of those monkeys riding the tiny bicycle at the circus... Would I be better off looking for a factory seat, rebuilding the current low seat or going with a custom seat? Most of my riding will be short distance and commuting. I don't foresee any 8 hours in the saddle days.

I'm looking forward to becomming an active member of the forum. Unfortunately, at the beginning I'll be asking more questions than answering... after I search of course! Not my first bike but it is my first BMW.

Reactions: Pappy53
#2 · (Edited)
Get the standard seat to replace the low seat, and you should be more comfortable. The seat, either one, can be adjusted to either of 2 heights, on the bike, and so you want to set the low seat to the high position in the meantime. Look for the seat on eBay, and make sure that the seat being sold is with heat (less expensive without the heating element), since there are seats sold without heat, assuming that's what you would want.

Beemerboneyard is a good place to look for used or salvaged parts for your bike, and definitely the place to go to for expendable parts (OEM filters and such), if you will be doing your own maintenance work. If you buy there, use the code BMWST or BMWMOA when you check-out to get 10% discount. I just looked, and they don't have the seat that you will want, but this should give you some ideas as to what you should be paying for a seat: https://www.beemerboneyard.com/52537683654nh.html

#3 ·
Thanks for the advice PadG. I have an email notice set up with BeemerBoneyard for my seat. So hopefully they will let me know when one comes in. I'll do the same on eBay. I gather the seats can just be swapped, no modifications to contend with?

#4 ·
Cal... welcome to the asylum... we will try to be helpful, and congratulations on getting your first BMW.

#5 ·
Do you know which "Low" seat it has? There are three I believe (two are one-piece affairs and the other is a two-piece setup). If you can post a picture I can tell you which one it has. Another question, does the bike have ESA?

Contact Terry at Terry's Custom. His seats are about $250 each if you have a two-piece or $500 for a one piece base.

Going from a two-piece to a one-piece requires the removal of two plastic bits that hold the two-piece seats in place. It's possible, if you are getting a one-piece, that these are not installed and thus you'd need to buy them to use a one-piece. They aren't expensive (~$40 or so I think) but you do need them if you go two-piece.

I know this is all confusing, post a picture of the seat it has installed and one of the area under the seat with it removed and I can tell exactly what's what.

This post has been deleted
#9 ·
Your other option is a Sargent Seat (new or used). It will provide some comfort and support in addition to stock height.

#12 ·
I had a Sargent seat too. It was very nice! The regular one was too tall for me but it was very comfortable. As an added plus, they were wonderful to deal with and that 30-day no questions asked return is real. They took mine back after three weeks and all I was out was return shipping. Class act they are!

In the short-term, I'd highly recommend a trip to Home Depot for a piece of 3/4" plywood. It'll be more comfortable than that Extra Low. Haha

#17 ·
How many miles does it have on it?
Dang Pappy 53, I was trying to keep that quiet! It has 152K. Hope these things last a while. Here are a few more pics too.

Attachments

#16 ·
Lots of great advice, but I don't think that anyone mentioned that, since the seat on this RT is the low 1-piece seat, you will need to get a new pillion seat as well, if you are going to change! One thing to make sure of, when you get your new seats, whichever you decide on, just make sure that they will be for the 2005 - 2013 model year RT. The seats on the newer, 2014 - present RT, will NOT fit your bike.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! You will also need some mounting components for under the seat, since the standard adjuster was removed to enable the 1-piece seat to fit!

#18 ·
you will need to get a new pillion seat as well, if you are going to change!
Yes, I figured I would need the whole seat, there are a few on ebay. It currently has a heated seat, I would like to replace it with one. Although, I won't be riding much when I would need one!

#20 ·
"Regarding ESA, I'm 99% sure it does have it. Regarding that, all seat situations aside, how should I set the preload on the rear? Currently... I weigh 300 lbs. I'm thinking set it for one passengar plus luggage. Or should I set it for two passengers? What do you think? As I mentioned earlier, I'm not an aggressive rider, I'll be looking more for comfort.

Yes, set it for two riders and luggage. I have found that the RT and GS models come with "showroom" seats. Feels good for a couple of minutes in the showroom but on the road you suffer. May seem contrary but I find a firm seat works for me. So many choices. The Touratech and Wonderlich seats are on the firm side and made in Germany. Sargent usually has a sale in November and they are returnable in 30 days if needed. Personally I don't like Corbin. Ebay has good used stuff if your careful.

I also suggest down the road you have your bike shocks re sprung for your weight zone so that you can take advantage of the electronic shock adjustment feature. These people can do it. I suggest a call.
Motorcycle Shock Rebuild Service - EPM Performance Imports

#21 ·
I have bought a '12 R1200RT. The bike is currently 850 miles away and I'm having it delivered. Currently the bike has the low seat. I am 6'1" and have a 32/33 inseam. I suspect the current seat will have me looking like one of those monkeys riding the tiny bicycle at the circus... Would I be better off looking for a factory seat, rebuilding the current low seat or going with a custom seat? Most of my riding will be short distance and commuting. I don't foresee any 8 hours in the saddle days.

I'm looking forward to becomming an active member of the forum. Unfortunately, at the beginning I'll be asking more questions than answering... after I search of course! Not my first bike but it is my first BMW.
Got a factory standard seat you can have if you pay shipping.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#23 ·
That's a very generous offer, I'd like to take you up on it. I have sent you a private message. Thanks.

#22 ·
I would NOT buy a standard BMW seat. The stock seat isn't very comfy. I bought a Sargent and I'm happy with that. If you're buying new, get something like that. Good for long distance and local and corner carving because you can move around a little on it.

I think Russell Day-Long might be more comfortable for very long distance, but they plant you in one position. I suppose you can always stand up when your butt gets tired (like I do...at most any speed)....but I like options, especially when I'm throwing the bike and myself into corners.

The LC has the best stock seat I've seen in 4 RTs I've owned, but it's still not really good.

2 things I got immedately for this one.... A Sargent seat, an Aeroflow "tall" screen,

I installed the Valentine One with remote display and Legal Speeding helmet light from my old bike.

After riding it a bit, I got Illium bar-baks and front crash bar.

After riding a bit more, handle-bar mirrors from eBay. I may buy some stock BMW ones as these don't seem to stay where I put them for long. .

I think I'm done after that...famous last words?

:smile:

#24 ·
Thanks rtwiz, for the good advice. I think before spring I'll have either a custom seat or one of the major aftermarket seats. Right now, I'll look at anything for the short term. I'ts entirely possible I won't be able to ride safely with its current seat. :surprise:

#25 ·
Welcome aboard? Where in Tidewater VA are you located? I'm over in Portsmouth and I'd be interested in that seat if it fits my bike which is an 09. If you have a line on a standard height two piece seat, that would be more livable, something like a corbin or Russel even better. People swap seats all the time, easiest way to get the bike to fit better. I even have a set of Peg lowering adapters that I didnt use on mine that help to keep the knees from getting scrunched up.

Bob

#29 ·
Bob,

Been away for a little and just saw your post. I'm west of you, out RT 460 near Zuni (which is west of Windsor by about 5 miles) I pass through Portsmouth every day on my way to/from work. I'll keep in touch about the seat, did you see the pic I posted of it? It looks like a really low seat. I have no idea if it would fit an '09. I guess Adventure BMW could tell you.

Good to know there's someone else nearby!

#28 ·
Yes, a very generous offer indeed. There are still good men (and women) out there.

#30 ·
I have a 2012rt. Standard suspension. The standard height seat was just a tad to high for me. I'm 5'12" tall, oops I meant 6' tall with a 34" inseam. I purchased a BMW low seat and found the height much better. What BMW did was use the same seat pan for both seats and recontoured the cushion to make it a lower seat. This sacrificed comfort to achieve the lower height. The next seat I purchased and still ride with no issues is the OEM BMW one piece comfort seat. For me this works out to be very comfortable. Unfortunately with seats it's never a one size fits all. It can get expensive until you find a comfortable seat.

#32 ·
I'm surprised at your height/inseam that the standard seat was too high for you. I am 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I ran the standard seat on my 2005 RT in the High position to reduce the bend in my knees. I do the same on my 2016 RT with the Sargent Seat on it as I feel a bit cramped with the seat in the low position.

Seats and ride height are definitely personal things.

#33 ·
I'm only 6'1" (or 5' 13") with a 32" inseam. I'm surprised the standard seat was too tall for you. Was it too wide?

#36 ·
The seat is a very personal item. No one seat is going to work for everyone. I would suggest waiting and see how comfortable or uncomfortable it is for you. You may find it's not just the height of the seat that will concern you. BMW seats have improved since my first R60/2 but I typically replace or rebuild the stock seat with a custom seat. I have the luxury of being within riding distance of two of the most popular saddle builders so I can ride in and get a truly custom seat trimmed to fit my very personal backside. It is possible to get a good seat by providing the various height and weight considerations the builder needs to make you comfy. If you don't currently ride with fellow RT owners do so. I know I would be happy to slap my seat on a fellow riders bike so they could try it out.

#40 ·
Does anybody know if the front seat hardware (hardware attaching the front part of the seat near the gas tank) on a R1200 RTP is the same as the hardware on a R1200 RT? I need seat hardware for a seat I have bought and all I have found so far is for a RTP. I looked on Real OEM and didn't find the RTP so I don't know. Any help is appreciated!!!

#42 ·
Thanks Pappy53, I am probably getting ahead of myself as the bike hasn't even been delivered to me yet (expected Friday). But if you remember mine has the MTD, ultra low seat. It was my understanding (from somewhere) that this seat didn't employ this piece of the seat hardware. I'm probably wrong but I am just trying to get my ducks in a row for when it does arrive. My new (to me) seat will arrive tuesday with no hardware. I suppose the best route is to be patient and see on Friday what it does/does not have. The below pic is the assembly I'm talking about.

Attachments

#46 ·
It is the stock two piece seat. I have pics if needed. The only hardware I saw attached was the 2 plastic wedge shaped parts that attach to the front of the rear seat.

#50 ·
Got my *new* seat in the mail today. Below are two pics of the bottoms. Looks like all the rubber snubbers and bits are in place. I'll have to wait for the bike to arrive to find out what else I need. Bad news about that though. Shipper called, he broke an axle on his truck so the bike won't be here till Tuesday...:frown: I guess I'll have more time to read my owners manual...

Attachments

#54 ·
Some pics of the low seat backrest attachment. It is now surplus...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.