bad problem - '07 R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 1 Post By steveaikens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 10:33 am Thread Starter

bad problem - '07 R1200RT

Hello -
I charged a dead battery without disconnecting it from the bike, Now I've read the manual and learned not to do that. But - doing it resulted in a brake failure warning light (Brakes still work), No speedometer, No cruise. I expect I'll need to have a dealer diagnose this but they are over an hour away. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 3:22 pm

Re: bad problem - '07 R1200RT

Put a new battery that YOU have topped up with your smart maintenance charger for a few hours before installation. I bet all your problems will go away.
That line in the owners manual is generally ignored all around. But it is important you use a modern charger intended for motorcycle work.
PadG likes this.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 8:28 am

Ummm,
I had and enjoyed an'05 for many years- still the best BMW I ever owned... but I digress.

I used a battery charger hundreds of times on a pig-tail connection directly to the battery. Never had an issue. The Charger was a Harley OEM device I had and and still have. The "Trick" if there is one, is that my pig-tail went straight to the + and - of the battery not through the bike systems.... Of course the bike was never "started" while on the charger....

Good luck.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 4:18 pm

I suspect it's unrelated. Charging the battery directly will have no effect on the bike.

Judging by the symptoms you describe, your problem is most likely a kaput wheel sensor.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniematic View Post
Hello -
I charged a dead battery without disconnecting it from the bike, Now I've read the manual and learned not to do that. But - doing it resulted in a brake failure warning light (Brakes still work), No speedometer, No cruise. I expect I'll need to have a dealer diagnose this but they are over an hour away. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!
Unless you reversed polarity, that failure is not related to charging the battery.

I keep my current 07 and 15 both on chargers in the garage and have always kept all my bikes on chargers for too many years to relate.

I've never read anything like that in any BMW M/C manual.
PadG likes this.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 7:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveaikens View Post
Unless you reversed polarity, that failure is not related to charging the battery.

I keep my current 07 and 15 both on chargers in the garage and have always kept all my bikes on chargers for too many years to relate.

I've never read anything like that in any BMW M/C manual.
Like you, I also keep my RT (prior '07, past '14, and the present '15) on the charger all the time that they are parked in my garage. However, if you take a look at your '07 manual, you will see what the OP was referring to. BMW stated something to the effect that the battery must be disconnected from the bike for charging, and if memory serves, the exception was when using a BMW charger! My memory on that last part might be faulty though, but you can see for yourself in the '07 manual. I don't think that the same statement is in the '15 manual.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 8:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Like you, I also keep my RT (prior '07, past '14, and the present '15) on the charger all the time that they are parked in my garage. However, if you take a look at your '07 manual, you will see what the OP was referring to. BMW stated something to the effect that the battery must be disconnected from the bike for charging, and if memory serves, the exception was when using a BMW charger! My memory on that last part might be faulty though, but you can see for yourself in the '07 manual. I don't think that the same statement is in the '15 manual.
I just beamed up the manual regarding charging.

BMW strikes again! Though they don't actually SAY you can charge with the battery connected to the system ONLY if you use a BMW branded charger, they sure do allude to it.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/36...age=139#manual

I would agree with them that if you use a cheap garbage charger, it MAY surge power and create a problem but I don't think I've ever met a BMW rider that didn't buy quality chargers/support equipment to maintain their machines.

I use CTEK US 8.0 and Optimate 4 chargers. Never a problem.

Steve Aikens
2007 R1200RT
2015 R1200RTW
IBA# 442
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Well - you meet all kinds of people here! Yes - I charged this very dead odyessy battery with a cheap harbor freight electronic charger. The one i've been using on my airplane battery for a year and working well. It displays the % of charge and shuts off when full. Here's the real badness I think I did - I turned the key on during this process to see if battery was actually charging and if I had power to the dash. I did have power, I did not engage the starter. When charger had shut down - I started the bike and had warning lights and no speedo or cruise.

Following advice here I bought, charged an installed a new duracell AGM battery this week. It didn't fix it.

Unless what I did would have fried a wheel sensor, Maybe?, I can't see one going bad coincidentally with the dead battery. I'm inclined to think I did fry some piece of computer hardware - but just a guess.

And yes - in my '07 manual - it says disconnect for charging or electronics could be harmed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in