Does anyone look at the Classified? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 5 Post By Beemer tiger
  • 2 Post By Pappy53

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 12:54 am Thread Starter

Does anyone look at the Classified?

I got some really good stuff on the classified and have not gotten one call.

Typically, I put something on the classified and I have to hire a secretary to keep up with the inquiries. Is the classified still working around here or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 7:41 am

Re: Does anyone look at the Classified?

I look regularly

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 7:44 am

I look everyday. I won't pay that much for a used muffler.

post #4 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:45 am

I'll 2nd that one.
post #5 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 5:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sold a helmet about 2 months ago on the Classifieds, so somebody is looking!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I have been a member of this forum since March of last year. I check the classifieds now & then, but find the layout (format, or whatever it should be properly called?) awkward to navigate, cluttered, confusing, and not all that well organized. There are "recent" ads, "Random" ads, a series of headings on the left titled statistics? (who cares?), below that a calendar?(I usually know what day it is), and below that another heading of "Random" ads? But on the random ads, you click on the thumbnail pic and it takes you to an item that was posted for sale 9 years ago???

I admit, at 74 years of age, I am probably a little slow at this digital stuff. I'm one of those analog guys in a digital world. In regards to computers, I am "self-taught"...so I had a lousy teacher.

That said, why couldn't we have a classified page laid out by category. Motorcycles, Accessories, Gear, etc. Then have the ads presented in a linear fashion? Newest to old, or selective by price, distance, etc. In addition, the software should automatically delete or expire ads after a reasonable time. Anything that does not sell within a few weeks or months probably is overpriced or not very salable anyway.

I have bought some items from fellow forum members but not as a result of the classified ads but from conversations that led to private messaging and emails. It is probably just me...but except for the "Thumbnail Pics" in the most recent ads presented in the classifieds page, I rarely explore beyond what is presented there. For me, it is just confusing and awkward. I need to see ads in an orderly fashion without all the distractions of statistics, calendars, or random ads older than the dust under my refrigerator.
zippy_gg, tvguy, garr2 and 2 others like this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 8:26 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer tiger View Post
I have been a member of this forum since March of last year. I check the classifieds now & then, but find the layout (format, or whatever it should be properly called?) awkward to navigate, cluttered, confusing, and not all that well organized. There are "recent" ads, "Random" ads, a series of headings on the left titled statistics? (who cares?), below that a calendar?(I usually know what day it is), and below that another heading of "Random" ads? But on the random ads, you click on the thumbnail pic and it takes you to an item that was posted for sale 9 years ago???
I never look at the classifieds here for these reasons. It has nothing to do with your age....
tvguy and Booger man like this.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
post #8 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:51 am

That's very good news as I'll be posting a new seat (front) that came off my 2017 RT. Only about 100 miles on it.
--Steve
post #9 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 12:32 pm

Quote:
...That said, why couldn't we have a classified page laid out by category. Motorcycles, Accessories, Gear, etc. ...
I agree, a really crappy classified layout that other than this thread has kept me away as well.

However,... see this little blue double up arrow in the right upper corner of the screen? Click that and you may be surprised. An actual category list. Whoo Hoo.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachm...hmentid=154395
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-09-23_10-23-28.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	154395  

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #10 of 31 Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

I used to look quite a bit when I first bought my bike. Now that I have 2 RT's in the house and both are decked out with just about every option, I don't look very often.

Only thing I'd like to find is a Bill Mayer low seat for the wife. Odds of that are only slight higher than finding an R27.
post #11 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2019, 10:47 am

It’s definitely not user friendly at all. For the longest time, I couldn’t even access the classified section. I eventually found out that the only way I could access it, was to exit enhanced mobile view. Once I got in there I couldn’t believe what a mess the layout was. As most of you have stated, it’s very hard to navigate, and I guess the wealth of ancient posts is mainly because very few people can be bothered hacking through there these days. It’s more like an abandoned museum than anything else.

It’s too bad really. I’m still on one of the Triumph forums, and the classifieds are a pleasure to check out. They have separate sections for each model of bike, a section for riding gear (jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.), and then another section for non-Triumph bikes and gear.

https://www.triumphrat.net/#/forums/74

https://www.triumphrat.net/#/forums/75

The whole site is just put together and laid out very well.

https://www.triumphrat.net/#/
post #12 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Hoping this will turn into a 'please look at my ad' thread.

Just say for instance, if someone were looking for a new helmet or top case, now would be a good time to look at the ads.
post #13 of 31 Old Sep 24th, 2019, 9:02 pm

Stock seats, Muffler’s, stock windscreens, just toss em
post #14 of 31 Old Sep 25th, 2019, 5:47 am

I never look at classifieds
post #15 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 2:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Stock seats, Muffler’s, stock windscreens, just toss em
What ever you do don't toss stock seats.
There is a market there with people like myself who want a spare OEM seat to send off to Russell Saddles to get an RDL made up. Then when I sell my bike I either carry the seat over to the new RT and if not sell it separately.
I've already done that with a rider's seat, but am still looking for an OEM pillion seat for a 2014 - 2019RT - preferably heated and with the seat lock & pillion seat heater switch still in place.
Anyone out there got one?

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
post #16 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 8:11 am

Someone needs to clear off or remove old ads that aren't for sale anymore.
post #17 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 8:37 am

Yes, and Beemerboneyard also leaves sold item up, that you must scroll thru !

I like them and value their service to the community, but it becomes a bit frustrating at times !

If there is a way you can look for available items only, I would appreciate some insight.

Ride safe 😊

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #18 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Someone needs to clear off or remove old ads that aren't for sale anymore.
I agree...so who, where, how do we go about initiating an upgrade to de-clutter, and make the classified service easier to navigate and a first rate desirable destination to exchange items that benefit our mutual interests?

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #19 of 31 Old Sep 26th, 2019, 10:13 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
I traded my OEM seat for a GS911.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #20 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 1:04 am
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
I agree...so who, where, how do we go about initiating an upgrade to de-clutter, and make the classified service easier to navigate and a first rate desirable destination to exchange items that benefit our mutual interests?
The site is owned by VerticalScope Inc. The original owners of this site sold it. The new company runs over 1000 sites and the magazines that go with for ever sport and automotive thing you can think of.

They don't care anymore. This original PHP site is very old.
Take a look at the ATV.com site. It is new and up to date.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

Last edited by tvguy; Sep 27th, 2019 at 1:16 am.
post #21 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 8:29 am

The Classifieds work better when on a DESKTOP. Not so good for Mobile I think. However, with about 75-80% of all traffic coming from mobile, people miss-the-boat not focusing ALL their EFFORT to maximize mobile-friendliness.

In our business, I require them to build and test on Mobile first. Only after Mobile is perfect are they allowed to test the desktop side. It has really made them realize the importance of mobile even though the programmers all use their mobile devices almost exclusively.

As someone not visiting this site much, I normally view it from desktop. Old fashion and bad eyes. But even so the desktop is much too cluttered and seems to enjoy little activity. I agree, a list of items in order of newest to oldest would be much better without anything else on the page. Just a list. I visit and use other sites with very active classified sections and that is how they list.

Just my thoughts.
post #22 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
There is a market there with people like myself who want a spare OEM seat to send off to Russell Saddles to get an RDL made up. Then when I sell my bike I either carry the seat over to the new RT and if not sell it separately.
I've already done that with a rider's seat, but am still looking for an OEM pillion seat for a 2014 - 2019RT - preferably heated and with the seat lock & pillion seat heater switch still in place.
Anyone out there got one?

Ian
I do I do....What you got to trade?

I hae a heated front and rear seat for my 2016 R1200RT.

Last edited by wichitagreg; Sep 27th, 2019 at 10:06 pm.
post #23 of 31 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 10:05 pm

All you have to do is click on "Classifieds"

Then look for and click on "all ads"

Then sort on "Most Recent"
post #24 of 31 Old Yesterday, 2:41 pm

I've been looking for the classifieds section for the last 15 mins...It is either a premium feature or just hidden. Anyone know??
post #25 of 31 Old Yesterday, 2:46 pm

Garage

I see it in the Community section as Classified.

2018 R1200RT 3,200 miles, 2004 R1150RT 188,100 miles, 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 426,900 BMW miles

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
post #26 of 31 Old Yesterday, 3:38 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've been looking for the classifieds section for the last 15 mins...It is either a premium feature or just hidden. Anyone know??
I believe you'll have to be on a PC. I'm not sure if TapaTalk does it.

But at the top, point to Forums, Community, Classifieds. Then it's broken into Motorcycles, Gear, Accessories, etc.
post #27 of 31 Old Today, 6:38 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I have to say in a bad keyboarding session on the posting of things for sale in the Forum Body i fussed about that.

For that I apologize!

The classified section is not friendly on here at all. I dont understand it as the Forum Software is Great IMHO. I mean I would not support it with money if I did find it of value and want to see it survive and thrive.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #28 of 31 Old Today, 8:14 am

As I understand, the management, and ownership of bmwlt.com was sold some time ago and that may speak for the lack of efficient site operation that has been noticed on the user side. If I am incorrect about this transfer and resulting site maintenance issues, I am sorry, but even in that event, some things could be better.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #29 of 31 Old Today, 11:00 am
Old Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Link: https://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #30 of 31 Old Today, 12:29 pm

Dead end !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #31 of 31 Old Today, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Dead end !
What do you mean dead end? I clicked on the link scottydawg posted and it took me straight to the classifieds. I am also to access them from my iPad. There were two new ads posted on October 9.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in