BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Pop Start LC R1200RT?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  steveaikens 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever needed to pop start the LC RT or even tried? I was just wondering if it can be done on modern motorcycles like the RT if a battery drains too much.

#3 ·
Yep! Have done it once. Stopped at a service station to fuel the bike up. Went to start it, dash lit up, hit the starter, and dash display died. Release the starter button and dash came back up again. Luckily the servo was situated on a slight hill. Was able to roll down the hill in second gear and pop the clutch at the same time as bouncing on the seat and the engine fired up. Got home and checked out the problem. Battery had likely dropped a cell. New battery the following day and all good.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

#15 ·
That's why I carry a jump starter battery pack in my tank bag. The one I have is about the size of my iphone but slightly thicker. I've used it to start cars, trucks and my '13RT on a cold morning in Colorado a couple of weeks ago - fired it right up. Bought it on Amazon a few years ago for less than $50.00. Gives you peace-of-mind when you have an old battery.

#7 ·
Yes I got in a dead battery situation while traveling...left the key on...oops...and even loaded with travel gear with a dude helping to push on blacktop in a high gear....could not make it happen....seemed like it just slid the tire and would never turn over...so a jump box to the rescue...2014 RT

#12 ·
I tried with a battery with 3 volts in it (didn't know it at the time) with someone pushing me and it was a nogo. Ran okay on the alternator okay but once I turned it off that was it. I would assume if you could get the alternator to generate a bit of power it would go.
However it is a big beast to push start unless you have a good downhill slope.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.