BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Error lights and a problem

774 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  BamaBiker 
#1 ·
So I just completed a 1600 mile ride on my RT, with 64,000 miles on the clock. Riding home through a huge rainstorm, I had a couple of issues crop up.

First issue is that both the ASC and ABS warning lights are lit yellow. I was in Rain mode, and the lights came on an hour in. What can cause this? Can I read and clear the codes with an ELM 327 type code scanner device?

Second is cruise control does not work. I suspect this is a related issue. My guess is a wheel sensor got water in a connector. Or a sensor failed.

Third is that when I stopped to re-fuel, the Keyless Ride would not shut off the bike with a simple push. I pushed the button, the bike would not stop running nor power down. I shut it off using the red button. Also could not gas up, thankfully I had enough to get home. Later, when I got home, I had planned to disconnect the battery so as not to ruin the 2 month old battery... But, instead, I pushed and held the button. This shut off the bike. I did re-start it and then it would shut down properly. Was this related to the errors? Has anyone had this happen? If it happens again, is there a way to re-fuel?

Thanks!

John.

See less See more
#2 ·
So I just completed a 1600 mile ride on my RT, with 64,000 miles on the clock. Riding home through a huge rainstorm, I had a couple of issues crop up.

First issue is that both the ASC and ABS warning lights are lit yellow. I was in Rain mode, and the lights came on an hour in. What can cause this? Can I read and clear the codes with an ELM 327 type code scanner device?

Second is cruise control does not work. I suspect this is a related issue. My guess is a wheel sensor got water in a connector. Or a sensor failed.

Third is that when I stopped to re-fuel, the Keyless Ride would not shut off the bike with a simple push. I pushed the button, the bike would not stop running nor power down. I shut it off using the red button. Also could not gas up, thankfully I had enough to get home. Later, when I got home, I had planned to disconnect the battery so as not to ruin the 2 month old battery... But, instead, I pushed and held the button. This shut off the bike. I did re-start it and then it would shut down properly. Was this related to the errors? Has anyone had this happen? If it happens again, is there a way to re-fuel?

Thanks!

John.
MotoScan for BMW App, plus a compatible OBDLink reader (I use an OBDLink LX) can read/reset the codes, but probably wouldn't fix your problem (I'm guessing here). I'm also guessing that the heavy rain put some water in places water shouldn't be. When it dried out, you were good to go again (error codes are probably still there). I had a very similar experience w/a 1996 Triumph Trophy 1200 and the mother of all rainstorms! Every light on my dash lit up at once -- no flashers would work, no turn signals, nothing. I didn't dare turn it off, there was water everywhere in the wiring harness, etcetera. When I finally did have to stop, I waited out the rain fall, then another hour or so, everything dried out and I was good to go again.

#7 ·
Will a plug in OBD reader work on it's own? I have both a link version and plug in. Not sure if the connector is OBD in 2015, or if I need an adapter like my Ducati.

Also, is that program cross compatible to iOS?

I want to look up the codes to try to determine the fault... Might be an easy fix. Something got wet in the wheel speed department.

I'm still wondering about the black button needing to be held down vs. pushed and released... I never heard of that before.

#3 ·
John,
You're on the right track. ESC, ABS and cruise require valid signals from both wheel sensors to function. I know the GS-911 will tell you which sensor gave the fault, however, I'm unsure about the device you mentioned.
The fuel cap did not open because the bike was either not powered down, or your fob was not in the vicinity of the bike. So that part is working correctly. The problem you need to figure out is whether the black ignition button has a fault.
Theoretically, you could disconnect the battery with the stainless steel torx pin next to the battery (the screwdriver under your seat has the correct size), then reconnect. You should be able to open the fuel cap then, but the ignition must be off, and your key fob in the vicinity of the bike.

John R.

#5 ·
Hope I can use my OBD device, as I own one. My goal is to find the sensor that caused it.

The fob was there, I could not power it down. It did not occur to me to HOLD the button down until I got home. Once I did that, it would power up and down just fine. Disconnecting the battery would not unlock the fuel I believe.

As for how to disconnect, I would never remove the hot side, as then you have it floating near the ground... I had a 10mm available, so I would have taken off the ground. Just the safest option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.