Error lights and a problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Error lights and a problem

So I just completed a 1600 mile ride on my RT, with 64,000 miles on the clock. Riding home through a huge rainstorm, I had a couple of issues crop up.

First issue is that both the ASC and ABS warning lights are lit yellow. I was in Rain mode, and the lights came on an hour in. What can cause this? Can I read and clear the codes with an ELM 327 type code scanner device?

Second is cruise control does not work. I suspect this is a related issue. My guess is a wheel sensor got water in a connector. Or a sensor failed.

Third is that when I stopped to re-fuel, the Keyless Ride would not shut off the bike with a simple push. I pushed the button, the bike would not stop running nor power down. I shut it off using the red button. Also could not gas up, thankfully I had enough to get home. Later, when I got home, I had planned to disconnect the battery so as not to ruin the 2 month old battery... But, instead, I pushed and held the button. This shut off the bike. I did re-start it and then it would shut down properly. Was this related to the errors? Has anyone had this happen? If it happens again, is there a way to re-fuel?

Thanks!

John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 9:35 pm

Garage
Re: Error lights and a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
So I just completed a 1600 mile ride on my RT, with 64,000 miles on the clock. Riding home through a huge rainstorm, I had a couple of issues crop up.

First issue is that both the ASC and ABS warning lights are lit yellow. I was in Rain mode, and the lights came on an hour in. What can cause this? Can I read and clear the codes with an ELM 327 type code scanner device?

Second is cruise control does not work. I suspect this is a related issue. My guess is a wheel sensor got water in a connector. Or a sensor failed.

Third is that when I stopped to re-fuel, the Keyless Ride would not shut off the bike with a simple push. I pushed the button, the bike would not stop running nor power down. I shut it off using the red button. Also could not gas up, thankfully I had enough to get home. Later, when I got home, I had planned to disconnect the battery so as not to ruin the 2 month old battery... But, instead, I pushed and held the button. This shut off the bike. I did re-start it and then it would shut down properly. Was this related to the errors? Has anyone had this happen? If it happens again, is there a way to re-fuel?

Thanks!

John.
MotoScan for BMW App, plus a compatible OBDLink reader (I use an OBDLink LX) can read/reset the codes, but probably wouldn't fix your problem (I'm guessing here). I'm also guessing that the heavy rain put some water in places water shouldn't be. When it dried out, you were good to go again (error codes are probably still there). I had a very similar experience w/a 1996 Triumph Trophy 1200 and the mother of all rainstorms! Every light on my dash lit up at once -- no flashers would work, no turn signals, nothing. I didn't dare turn it off, there was water everywhere in the wiring harness, etcetera. When I finally did have to stop, I waited out the rain fall, then another hour or so, everything dried out and I was good to go again.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 17th, 2019, 11:00 pm

Quote:

Thanks!

John.
John,
You're on the right track. ESC, ABS and cruise require valid signals from both wheel sensors to function. I know the GS-911 will tell you which sensor gave the fault, however, I'm unsure about the device you mentioned.
The fuel cap did not open because the bike was either not powered down, or your fob was not in the vicinity of the bike. So that part is working correctly. The problem you need to figure out is whether the black ignition button has a fault.
Theoretically, you could disconnect the battery with the stainless steel torx pin next to the battery (the screwdriver under your seat has the correct size), then reconnect. You should be able to open the fuel cap then, but the ignition must be off, and your key fob in the vicinity of the bike.

John R.

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 4:50 am

Quote:
So I just completed a 1600 mile ride on my RT, with 64,000 miles on the clock. .
What bike are we talking about here?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejetflyer View Post
John,
You're on the right track. ESC, ABS and cruise require valid signals from both wheel sensors to function. I know the GS-911 will tell you which sensor gave the fault, however, I'm unsure about the device you mentioned.
The fuel cap did not open because the bike was either not powered down, or your fob was not in the vicinity of the bike. So that part is working correctly. The problem you need to figure out is whether the black ignition button has a fault.
Theoretically, you could disconnect the battery with the stainless steel torx pin next to the battery (the screwdriver under your seat has the correct size), then reconnect. You should be able to open the fuel cap then, but the ignition must be off, and your key fob in the vicinity of the bike.

John R.
Hope I can use my OBD device, as I own one. My goal is to find the sensor that caused it.

The fob was there, I could not power it down. It did not occur to me to HOLD the button down until I got home. Once I did that, it would power up and down just fine. Disconnecting the battery would not unlock the fuel I believe.

As for how to disconnect, I would never remove the hot side, as then you have it floating near the ground... I had a 10mm available, so I would have taken off the ground. Just the safest option.
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
What bike are we talking about here?
Sorry, 2015 R1200RT
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBiker View Post
MotoScan for BMW App, plus a compatible OBDLink reader (I use an OBDLink LX) can read/reset the codes, but probably wouldn't fix your problem (I'm guessing here). I'm also guessing that the heavy rain put some water in places water shouldn't be. When it dried out, you were good to go again (error codes are probably still there). I had a very similar experience w/a 1996 Triumph Trophy 1200 and the mother of all rainstorms! Every light on my dash lit up at once -- no flashers would work, no turn signals, nothing. I didn't dare turn it off, there was water everywhere in the wiring harness, etcetera. When I finally did have to stop, I waited out the rain fall, then another hour or so, everything dried out and I was good to go again.
Will a plug in OBD reader work on it's own? I have both a link version and plug in. Not sure if the connector is OBD in 2015, or if I need an adapter like my Ducati.

Also, is that program cross compatible to iOS?

I want to look up the codes to try to determine the fault... Might be an easy fix. Something got wet in the wheel speed department.

I'm still wondering about the black button needing to be held down vs. pushed and released... I never heard of that before.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Garage

Quote:
I'm still wondering about the black button needing to be held down vs. pushed and released... I never heard of that before.
Clearly the bike wasn't responding correctly to inputs on the switches. This is probably (I'm speculating here) like a laptop computer that won't respond to the power button. If you hold it down for long enough (usually 15 seconds on a laptop) the firmware recognizes this and shuts it down.

The only holding down the button that I'm aware of when the bike is operating normally, is holding it down for a few seconds (with the circuits off) to Lock or Unlock the front forks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Will a plug in OBD reader work on it's own? I have both a link version and plug in. Not sure if the connector is OBD in 2015, or if I need an adapter like my Ducati.

Also, is that program cross compatible to iOS?

I want to look up the codes to try to determine the fault... Might be an easy fix. Something got wet in the wheel speed department.

My '15 RT requires a conversion cable. If the OBD reader is blue-tooth compatible, then it may connect with your SmartPhone or Android tablet running MotoScan software. (Sorry, at this time there are no plans for an iOS version. Some folks have purchased a cheap SmartPhone as part of their app). For a much more detailed discussion, look for the thread re: Alternative to GS-911 in this forum. PadG's review of the MotoScan software was my go-to source when I purchased the necessary parts. (MotoScan is in the Google Playstore. I bought the OBDLink & conversion cable from Amazon. Total cost was about $110.)

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in