Re-align bike after a spill? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BB 1200RT
  • 3 Post By bandytales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 14th, 2019, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Re-align bike after a spill?

2007 R1200R. I realize this is the RT section (I also have an RT), more people own RT's than R's, likely more readers of this section, hoping to increase odds of an answer. It's the same basic suspension setup, with the addition of a steering damper.

I went down on the bike and slid, probably at 30mph in a ditch, a few months ago. I have done a basic visual, and ridden it since then. Front tire was worn, I removed it, had tire mounted, reinstalled myself. Mechanically inclined and experienced, but by no means a BMW tech or a certified motorcycle tech.

After a drop on a bike with conventional suspension, I'm familiar with what to "loosen and retighten" to re-align the bike, but on a Telelever setup, I'm not certain. Does anyone have experience with this? Could you provide some advice? Please and thanks!

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
2004 Honda VTX 1300c (sold)
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 14th, 2019, 1:27 pm

Re: Re-align bike after a spill?

Oh do the old soosing the bolts, then against a wall bounce the bike until the stress of the impact has been release..

When spin the stanchion tubes (the chromed tubes that come out of the fork into the triple clamp (you can do this on the R but not on the RT) if they are hard to spin probably they are bend, take them out and roll them on a really flat surface like a glass table, if you have the equipment (I have used twin trees, park benches, etc, you name it with great results) and skill they are not that hard to correct, or you can send them to a expert..

If any of the other parts got compromise, check for creases at the front of your A-arm ) Again your A-arm is different than the one on the RT) if is okay but the bike still acts funny, check the Engine mounts, because they can become ovalize after a BIG impact (I don't think that is your case..

also the handlebars can be a little bend giving you the impression the bike is tweaked)
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 14th, 2019, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Oh do the old soosing the bolts, then against a wall bounce the bike until the stress of the impact has been release..

When spin the stanchion tubes (the chromed tubes that come out of the fork into the triple clamp (you can do this on the R but not on the RT) if they are hard to spin probably they are bend, take them out and roll them on a really flat surface like a glass table, if you have the equipment (I have used twin trees, park benches, etc, you name it with great results) and skill they are not that hard to correct, or you can send them to a expert..

If any of the other parts got compromise, check for creases at the front of your A-arm ) Again your A-arm is different than the one on the RT) if is okay but the bike still acts funny, check the Engine mounts, because they can become ovalize after a BIG impact (I don't think that is your case..

also the handlebars can be a little bend giving you the impression the bike is tweaked)

Ricardo...thanks for the advice. no creases at the A-arm. Handlebars visually seem ok but with their curvature it's not easily discerned really. I will look into that a bit further.
Question: "loosen the bolts..." Since the engine is a stressed member by way of the frame on these bikes, are we talking about loosening everything, i.e., pivot bolts at telelever a-arm, fork bolts, axle bolt, and some of the frame bolts? If so, which bolts?
Booger man likes this.

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 3:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 1200RT View Post

Ricardo...thanks for the advice. no creases at the A-arm. Handlebars visually seem ok but with their curvature it's not easily discerned really. I will look into that a bit further.
Find a really flat surface, secure the bike in a way is totally straight (use a level & shims if you have too and then use a plumb bob to determine the end of the bars in relationship to a affix point, can be the wheel, the "Bash guard mount (the 12mm hole on the very front of the engine) a line on the floor, this way you can tell if them are fore or aft, their height, etc, is not so hard..

Also very simple, re set you levers to the usual angle, is amazing what a little impact and a newer angle can make the bike feel like is twisted, (Mostly your perception)

Sound like you impact was not that hard (I'm use to GS's landing "Endo" from a jump) so the main pivot points at the engine are not a big concern, but I have seeing more than a few getting ovalized and/or developing stress rising cracks that will deem the engine block unusable (Again, extreme case, so unless the bike hit a tree on the ravine or something that "Stop" her in a hurry I will not worried about it)

Quote:
Question: "loosen the bolts..." Since the engine is a stressed member by way of the frame on these bikes, are we talking about loosening everything, i.e., pivot bolts at telelever a-arm, fork bolts, axle bolt, and some of the frame bolts? If so, which bolts?
Oh sorry much simpler, none of the main big bolts, if those are FUBAR you need big help..

Just the ones that attach the telelever plate to the legs, the axle & pinch bolt, etc, the small hardware and only lose them to like 20 pounds and then bring them back to the appropriate torque..

what is really important is to check the stanchion for straightness (If they don't pass the spine test (in bikes like the RT the "Gimbal" for the upper televeler arm is in the "steering column" Upper ball joint) on your R you have one small ball joint on the top of each fork leg and the steering is mounted rigid to the front subframe..
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 9:19 pm Thread Starter

Believe I found the culprit! Front wheel appears slightly bent. Wheel bearings show no signs of play. When rotating the front wheel by hand, as viewed from the front, a slight left to right movement of the wheel is visible, and an audible intermittent sound of rotor(s) contacting pads timed with the visual movement. Now to find a solution. Oh, I know, I'll pay $1400 for a wheel from the dealer! Wait, no. Hmm.

2007 BMW R1200R
2005 BMW R1200RT
1983 Honda CX650c (sold)
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 4:52 am

Quote:
Believe I found the culprit! Front wheel appears slightly bent. Wheel bearings show no signs of play. When rotating the front wheel by hand, as viewed from the front, a slight left to right movement of the wheel is visible, and an audible intermittent sound of rotor(s) contacting pads timed with the visual movement. Now to find a solution. Oh, I know, I'll pay $1400 for a wheel from the dealer! Wait, no. Hmm.
The sound of a disc brushing the pads may be a red herring. Have you got access to a dial gauge and you can measure your 'run-out' at various places such as the rim, the outer surface of the disc (which I believe are floating discs so that won't tell you a lot).
LAF, PadG and niel_petersen like this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 6:19 pm

Cool Re: Re-align bike after a spill?

Quote:
If you confirm that wheel is out of true or out of round (using dial gage--or even broom straw if you're careful) I believe there are services which can roll it back into shape. There was one in LA area, I know.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 4th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Garage

If you have it handled ignore this but if your wheel (or forks or frame) is bent there are people who can straighten them. There are limits to what can be fixed but if you can't easily see it you are probably not outside the repairable zone. I'm not from LA but a quick search found this guy:

Dr. John

There is also a system called Acutrack or something similar, they have franchises with their very cool machines that check alignment and can "nudge" a frame back to OEM alignment. If these franchises do or don't fix wheels would be a separate issue but they can fix forks and frames.

I've never done the frame straightened thing but I had a Ducati wheel straightened (I hit a big pothole while ahh... testing the strength of my throttle cable) years ago, zero problems in my experience.

Livin' the good life in my little home by the sea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in