TPMS Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kabish
  • 1 Post By vulcanbike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Question TPMS Replacement

I'm not 100% sure if this would work on an RT but I would assume it would?

Regardless I thought it was a pretty good write up so someone might find it informational.

https://advrider.com/aftermarket-r12...r-replacement/
meese and NoelCP like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 7:27 am

Re: TPMS Replacement

Yes and once again that $233 sensor from BMW, the masters of gouging, is really only worth about $27. They do love screwing over their customers over. Much give the mother ship a real high!!!!
Dsmith1200 likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 8:32 am

I have an Autel TS508 that I've used on my Subaru Outback to reprogram sensors for new wheels. I never thought to check if it would work on the bike. I can confirm that it can read the sensor values from a 2019 R1250RT with stock TPMS sensors. So if Autel sensors fit, then this should work fine. I assume the GS-911 relearn that the article mentions will still work also. Perhaps the Motoscan app can also do this. Thanks for the info. It can also read the full sensor output with IDs which you need for cloning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190913_092754.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	154319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190913_093452.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	154321  

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (driver)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grumpy_Squatch; Sep 13th, 2019 at 8:36 am. Reason: Added info on full sensor reading.

post #4 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Squatch View Post
I have an Autel TS508 that I've used on my Subaru Outback to reprogram sensors for new wheels. I never thought to check if it would work on the bike. I can confirm that it can read the sensor values from a 2019 R1250RT with stock TPMS sensors. So if Autel sensors fit, then this should work fine. I assume the GS-911 relearn that the article mentions will still work also. Perhaps the Motoscan app can also do this. Thanks for the info. It can also read the full sensor output with IDs which you need for cloning.
MotoScan does have the option to do the TPM!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:35 am

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

I have this sensor bookmarked. I wonder if the code can be programmed into these as well. But these look lower profile like the BMW originals.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNCGHS7...v_ov_lig_dp_it
post #6 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
I have this sensor bookmarked. I wonder if the code can be programmed into these as well. But these look lower profile like the BMW originals.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GNCGHS7...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Me too. I'm sure they would. I think they ARE the ones BMW uses. They are advertised as new, have a 1 year warranty, fit the R1200, and at $36, that's a whole lot cheaper than the OEM from the dealer, AND they have a 1 year warranty.

That's about 6.5 units or think of it as 6.5 years replacing them once a year before they even reach the price of the dealer for one. You could even replace them with every tire change and break even, but I guess most will work way way longer.

Assuming they do work just like the OEM sourced versions all you need is a GS-911 to link the new serial numbers to the ECU, nothing more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #7 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Garage

As PadG said in his reply, the MotoScan app w/OBDLink may also be able to reprogram a TPMS unit. I saw the option on the menu, but haven't had the need to explore it.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #8 of 18 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 11:48 pm

The sensors for our RTs also measure tire air temperature. Will that be the case with these Schraders from Amazon?

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #9 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2019, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
The sensors for our RTs also measure tire air temperature. Will that be the case with these Schraders from Amazon?
They are the exact same part number as found on the A&S parts "fiche", so I'm sure they do.

36318532732 8532732

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #10 of 18 Old Sep 14th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Garage

Well, guess what decided to act up on my ride today? Rear tire. It read 32 psi. Pull out my gauge I keep in the cubby. Dead battery. Worked a month ago. But I put a little air in the tire at a gas station. Just went by the plunk sound, I could hear the tire should be fine. Road the 40 miles home without issue.

So the TPMS decided to start working on my way home, about 45 minutes later. So I know the pressures are fine. I'm going to order 2 of the above mentioned TPMS modules I had linked. I'm also going to order the Autel TS408 device. I'm hoping I can read the OEM module still and just clone that ID. If not, I have the GS911 and I can re-program the new ID.

BTW, do these devices actually have a temp sensor in them? I would have thought the BMW on board temp sensor would be used. Then the BMW computer would adjust the reading based on outside temp.
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Garage

So, for anyone that has done this on the rear tire, does the tire have to be removed from the rim? Or can I let the air out, break the bead, and push the tire out of the way enough to replace? Just trying to figure out if I'm going to have to have my tire place do this job.
post #12 of 18 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 5:01 pm

While it may be possible replace the TPMS without removing the tire, it would be very difficult. Much easier to get the tire out of the way as the sensor needs to be torqued properly.

2015 R1200RT
post #13 of 18 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Quote:
I'm going to order 2 of the above mentioned TPMS modules I had linked. I'm also going to order the Autel TS408 device. I'm hoping I can read the OEM module still and just clone that ID.
I'm 99.999% sure that an Autel tool can only program Autel sensors. To program Schreader EZ sensors you'd need a Schraeder tool or perhaps an expensive pro third party tool. I know Autel tools can read Schraeder sensors however, so hopefully, the cloning procedure works.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn

post #14 of 18 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 10:22 pm

Quote:
BTW, do these devices actually have a temp sensor in them? I would have thought the BMW on board temp sensor would be used. Then the BMW computer would adjust the reading based on outside temp.
I've read BMW TPC measures tire air temp and does its temperature compensation from that. Outside/ambient temp is not going to be a very good surrogate for internal tire air temperature which will be much hotter than ambient outside temp.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #15 of 18 Old Sep 16th, 2019, 8:45 am

Garage

Quote:
I'm 99.999% sure that an Autel tool can only program Autel sensors. To program Schreader EZ sensors you'd need a Schraeder tool or perhaps an expensive pro third party tool. I know Autel tools can read Schraeder sensors however, so hopefully, the cloning procedure works.
I watched the user submitted video on Amazon. He randomly picked a Chevy Impala. On that screen, it showed Schreader valve type for that car. It's only up there momentarily. So just maybe this device will work. In his demo, he did get the ID. It looks like one of the menu options does have a reprogram option, but he didn't go over it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #16 of 18 Old Sep 16th, 2019, 4:11 pm

Sorry - I just re-read what I typed and it was unclear. Here's what I do know:
  1. Autel tools (at least my (TS508) can READ just about every sensor on the market. I've confirmed this with 8 different aftermarket Schrader sensors in my Subaru and the stock sensors on my RT. I am positive you will be able to get the stock IDs and the IDs for the new sensors.
  2. The Autel TS508 can NOT write to Schrader EZ sensors. So you can not use it to clone the original IDs onto the new sensors. It CAN write to Autel brand sensors, however, as the original article pointed out.
  3. The Autel TS508 lists a Relearn option on the menu for the BMW motorcycle, however, entering that menu it simply tells you to use the manufacturer's procedures. Unlike for the cars I have used it on, there is no option to connect the OBDII cable and write to the ECU. So I am pretty sure you will need either the Motoscan app or the GS-911 to complete your project with Schrader sensors.

Let us know how your project turns out.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn

post #17 of 18 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 5:44 pm

That's an interesting idea, although I've had no trouble just using the Chinese Ebay knock-offs and replacing the batteries. I now have two sets that I can rotate when changing tires. The fellow on that website who had problems appears to have used silicone to reseal the battery, and silicone itself can be corrosive to the contacts. I just wrapped the sensor in electrical tape without sealing, and it's still good two years in. Here's the video I made oft he process:

post #18 of 18 Old Oct 1st, 2019, 10:29 am

Garage

Quote:
I have had my TS408 for a week now. It read my front sensor just fine. But my failing rear sensor it didn't. Not much of a surprise there. I used my GS911 and pulled the codes up for front and rear. By default, the GS911 shows decimal codes. The TS pulls HEX codes. Just be aware of which you are reading. But there are easy converters online to go either direction.

I used my TS408 to easily pull the codes on my wife's 2017 RT, so I have those recorded.

I received the new pressure monitors yesterday. The TS pulled the codes just fine. I recorded those on the bags and also put the decimal numbers down. But like Grumpy suspected, the TS408 won't reprogram the codes. The devices I received, I didn't see any numbers on the devices or baggies that matched the codes. So you would need a code reader to get the codes. Or it looks like the Motoscan app may be able to "find new devices" during a relearn process. The GS911 had a reference to that as well too. So you may not need a code reader.

So my next step is to get the sensor replaced. I'm debating on getting a MotoScan setup, just to see if I can do the code change that way, since that is what most people will likely be using.

The only potential issue I see is if you replace both the front and rear sensors at the same time. When going through the relearn, I'm not sure how you'll know which is front and rear without a reader. So if you want to do it on the cheap with the MotoScan method, I think the best way is to do one sensor at a time, doing the relearn each time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in