BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

TPMS Replacement

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  92merc 
#1 ·
#3 · (Edited)
I have an Autel TS508 that I've used on my Subaru Outback to reprogram sensors for new wheels. I never thought to check if it would work on the bike. I can confirm that it can read the sensor values from a 2019 R1250RT with stock TPMS sensors. So if Autel sensors fit, then this should work fine. I assume the GS-911 relearn that the article mentions will still work also. Perhaps the Motoscan app can also do this. Thanks for the info. It can also read the full sensor output with IDs which you need for cloning.

Attachments

#4 ·
MotoScan does have the option to do the TPM! :)

#6 ·
Me too. I'm sure they would. I think they ARE the ones BMW uses. They are advertised as new, have a 1 year warranty, fit the R1200, and at $36, that's a whole lot cheaper than the OEM from the dealer, AND they have a 1 year warranty.

That's about 6.5 units or think of it as 6.5 years replacing them once a year before they even reach the price of the dealer for one. You could even replace them with every tire change and break even, but I guess most will work way way longer.

Assuming they do work just like the OEM sourced versions all you need is a GS-911 to link the new serial numbers to the ECU, nothing more.

#10 ·
Well, guess what decided to act up on my ride today? Rear tire. It read 32 psi. Pull out my gauge I keep in the cubby. Dead battery. Worked a month ago. But I put a little air in the tire at a gas station. Just went by the plunk sound, I could hear the tire should be fine. Road the 40 miles home without issue.

So the TPMS decided to start working on my way home, about 45 minutes later. So I know the pressures are fine. I'm going to order 2 of the above mentioned TPMS modules I had linked. I'm also going to order the Autel TS408 device. I'm hoping I can read the OEM module still and just clone that ID. If not, I have the GS911 and I can re-program the new ID.

BTW, do these devices actually have a temp sensor in them? I would have thought the BMW on board temp sensor would be used. Then the BMW computer would adjust the reading based on outside temp.

#13 ·
I'm going to order 2 of the above mentioned TPMS modules I had linked. I'm also going to order the Autel TS408 device. I'm hoping I can read the OEM module still and just clone that ID.
I'm 99.999% sure that an Autel tool can only program Autel sensors. To program Schreader EZ sensors you'd need a Schraeder tool or perhaps an expensive pro third party tool. I know Autel tools can read Schraeder sensors however, so hopefully, the cloning procedure works.

#11 ·
So, for anyone that has done this on the rear tire, does the tire have to be removed from the rim? Or can I let the air out, break the bead, and push the tire out of the way enough to replace? Just trying to figure out if I'm going to have to have my tire place do this job.

#16 ·
Sorry - I just re-read what I typed and it was unclear. Here's what I do know:

1. Autel tools (at least my (TS508) can READ just about every sensor on the market. I've confirmed this with 8 different aftermarket Schrader sensors in my Subaru and the stock sensors on my RT. I am positive you will be able to get the stock IDs and the IDs for the new sensors.
  2. The Autel TS508 can NOT write to Schrader EZ sensors. So you can not use it to clone the original IDs onto the new sensors. It CAN write to Autel brand sensors, however, as the original article pointed out.
  3. The Autel TS508 lists a Relearn option on the menu for the BMW motorcycle, however, entering that menu it simply tells you to use the manufacturer's procedures. Unlike for the cars I have used it on, there is no option to connect the OBDII cable and write to the ECU. So I am pretty sure you will need either the Motoscan app or the GS-911 to complete your project with Schrader sensors.

Let us know how your project turns out.

#17 ·
That's an interesting idea, although I've had no trouble just using the Chinese Ebay knock-offs and replacing the batteries. I now have two sets that I can rotate when changing tires. The fellow on that website who had problems appears to have used silicone to reseal the battery, and silicone itself can be corrosive to the contacts. I just wrapped the sensor in electrical tape without sealing, and it's still good two years in. Here's the video I made oft he process:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.