BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Oops!!

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  barryRT 
#1 ·
So I done messed up and dropped the RT when I was on vacation. I really scratched the right side bag lid and the mirror housing. The bike is paint code 946, Dark Graphite Metallic. I would like some opinions on wether I should replace the lid or have it repainted? Is there a "best" place to get the paint? Needles to say that I was quite upset when it happened and while I don't need my bike to be perfect, I can't roll around with this bag lid looking like it does. Thanks in advance for the input.

#2 ·
I dropped mine at the rally during a training course. It's the 90th Anniversary edition so also black metallic (maybe different paint code). I just don't worry about it. But then again, I bought it used and it had minor blemishes here and there so maybe that's why I don't get worked up about it.

A new trim piece is going to be insanely expensive. Painting is the way to go but you'd have to find a body shop that would work on such a small piece. Might cost more than you think.

#3 ·
My friend just took both saddlebag covers off when he bought his bike new. He didn't want to have the problem you are having now. He is going to put them back on when it is time to sell it and get a new bike . It doesn't look too bad with both covers off..:wave

#4 ·
This is why crash bars are a must. They won't really help in an actual crash, but are a wallet-saver for tip-overs.

I've tipped mine twice and only had to replace the mirror cover (also on the right). About $60 from the dealer so maybe a quick search could yield a better deal.

As for the cover, well, you're gonna shit when you see how expensive those things are, I believe they are over $600 apiece! You can check out A&S Cycles parts fiche to find out.

A painter may be the better option, but again, a good paint job probably won't be cheap.

May I recommend decals? LOTS of decals! :)

Reactions: interceptor_1972
#17 ·
A good paint job will cost $100 to $150 at a decent shop. I didn't see the scratches, but if they'll sand out, you can make it look new again.

Now is a good time to go. They aren't so busy. When it snows, they get deluged with repair work.

If you remove the part so they don't have to store your bag or bike, you'll save money and their time.

I repainted my whole '05 RT. They have a lot of pieces! I removed them all, cleaned them and delivered them to the shop. They had a great black. I always thought it should be black because of all that flat black plastic...and I was right. I put clear tail lights on it and it looked great.

#5 ·
Get the lid repainted! I had done the same thing when I had my previous '07 RT. Find a good auto painter or collision repair place, and the job should cost you around $100 +/-. Make sure that you have the right paint code, and a reasonably good painter will have no issues with the exact duplication.

Crashbars won't save your side case unless you also have a rear set as well. You didn't mention scratching the valve cover, and so I suspect that you have either a head protector or front crash bars.

#6 ·
Decals are an option but it would look like a NASCAR race car. I did consider looking into a vinyl wrap for both bags. Honestly, if I can get a lid painted for $100, then I would do a happy dance. As far as the mirror goes, I think that I'll take them both off and paint them myself. I've done enough of that satin black to feel comfortable making it look good.

#9 ·
>>That is kind of like putting seat covers on your brand new truck seats so that they will not get used and then the next owner gets NEW seats.<<

Ya, I kind of think leave them on, then if you get one nicked up ..then maybe take them both off ..But to each there own:wave

#12 ·
To be expected! ;)

Back when I had the issue on my '07, I contacted the nearest dealer with painting facility (others don't do paints) and the price that was quoted to me was about (or more than) what it would cost for a new cover.

#16 · (Edited)
I bought new lowers for my Electra Glide and used ColorRite paint and painted them myself. They will match the paint code and give you a base coat and a top coat. IIRC, they weren't cheap, like something OTS from autozone or the like. But still less than other choices. Mine came out a dead on match to the factory color. I know I'm new here but that is the experience I had. I was very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.