Oops!! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By N00bie RT Gawd
  • 2 Post By redbull
  • 1 Post By FireRT
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 2:51 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Garage
Oops!!

So I done messed up and dropped the RT when I was on vacation. I really scratched the right side bag lid and the mirror housing. The bike is paint code 946, Dark Graphite Metallic. I would like some opinions on wether I should replace the lid or have it repainted? Is there a "best" place to get the paint? Needles to say that I was quite upset when it happened and while I don't need my bike to be perfect, I can't roll around with this bag lid looking like it does. Thanks in advance for the input.
FireRT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Senior Member
 
Pappy53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 292
Garage
Re: Oops!!

I dropped mine at the rally during a training course. It's the 90th Anniversary edition so also black metallic (maybe different paint code). I just don't worry about it. But then again, I bought it used and it had minor blemishes here and there so maybe that's why I don't get worked up about it.

A new trim piece is going to be insanely expensive. Painting is the way to go but you'd have to find a body shop that would work on such a small piece. Might cost more than you think.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
Pappy53 is online now  
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Patric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida USA
Posts: 1,437
Re: Oops!!

My friend just took both saddlebag covers off when he bought his bike new. He didn't want to have the problem you are having now. He is going to put them back on when it is time to sell it and get a new bike . It doesn't look too bad with both covers off..

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Patric is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Senior Member
 
N00bie RT Gawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 544
Garage
Re: Oops!!

This is why crash bars are a must. They won't really help in an actual crash, but are a wallet-saver for tip-overs.

I've tipped mine twice and only had to replace the mirror cover (also on the right). About $60 from the dealer so maybe a quick search could yield a better deal.

As for the cover, well, you're gonna shit when you see how expensive those things are, I believe they are over $600 apiece! You can check out A&S Cycles parts fiche to find out.

A painter may be the better option, but again, a good paint job probably won't be cheap.

May I recommend decals? LOTS of decals!
interceptor_1972 likes this.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
N00bie RT Gawd is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 7:47 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,670
Re: Oops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRT View Post
So I done messed up and dropped the RT when I was on vacation. I really scratched the right side bag lid and the mirror housing. The bike is paint code 946, Dark Graphite Metallic. I would like some opinions on wether I should replace the lid or have it repainted? Is there a "best" place to get the paint? Needles to say that I was quite upset when it happened and while I don't need my bike to be perfect, I can't roll around with this bag lid looking like it does. Thanks in advance for the input.
Get the lid repainted! I had done the same thing when I had my previous '07 RT. Find a good auto painter or collision repair place, and the job should cost you around $100 +/-. Make sure that you have the right paint code, and a reasonably good painter will have no issues with the exact duplication.



Crashbars won't save your side case unless you also have a rear set as well. You didn't mention scratching the valve cover, and so I suspect that you have either a head protector or front crash bars.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 10:18 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Garage
Re: Oops!!

Decals are an option but it would look like a NASCAR race car. I did consider looking into a vinyl wrap for both bags. Honestly, if I can get a lid painted for $100, then I would do a happy dance. As far as the mirror goes, I think that I'll take them both off and paint them myself. I've done enough of that satin black to feel comfortable making it look good.
FireRT is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 13th, 2019, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
rapz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Mission, TX, USA
Posts: 736
Re: Oops!!

Repaint.

Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
rapz is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 2:05 pm
Junior Member
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eureka, CA, USA
Posts: 4
Re: Oops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
My friend just took both saddlebag covers off when he bought his bike new. He didn't want to have the problem you are having now. He is going to put them back on when it is time to sell it and get a new bike . It doesn't look too bad with both covers off..
That is kind of like putting seat covers on your brand new truck seats so that they will not get used and then the next owner gets NEW seats. The next owner can recover and repaint and repair; I want the best it has to offer in the time I have it . Every thing has a finite life span and to not use it when it is at it best is a waste.
CWRoady and interceptor_1972 like this.
redbull is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Patric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Zephyrhills, Florida USA
Posts: 1,437
Re: Oops!!

>>That is kind of like putting seat covers on your brand new truck seats so that they will not get used and then the next owner gets NEW seats.<<

Ya, I kind of think leave them on, then if you get one nicked up ..then maybe take them both off ..But to each there own

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Patric is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 2:02 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Garage
Re: Oops!!

Local painter will do the lid and the mirror triangle for $300. That's considerably cheaper than what the dealer wanted just or the lid.
DanDiver likes this.
FireRT is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2019, 3:59 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Garage
Re: Oops!!

Did the RT's ever come with lids that were matte black like the inner portion of the bags or were they always painted to match?
FireRT is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,670
Re: Oops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRT View Post
Local painter will do the lid and the mirror triangle for $300. That's considerably cheaper than what the dealer wanted just or the lid.
To be expected!


Back when I had the issue on my '07, I contacted the nearest dealer with painting facility (others don't do paints) and the price that was quoted to me was about (or more than) what it would cost for a new cover.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 8:01 am
Senior Member
 
EzyMount's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Franklin, NC USA
Posts: 1,392
My local body shop painted and cleared the panels above jugs on each side for $125
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFFCED88-9329-435B-882D-391A98AA03EE_1568897920078.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	700.9 KB
ID:	154367  

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
EzyMount is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 9:39 am
Senior Member
 
Booger man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 204
Re: Oops!!

I am in the repaint group.
Booger man is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 19th, 2019, 7:28 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Golden, Colorado, USA
Posts: 2
Re: Oops!!

easy enough to paint. paint code helps, but they are not always correct. Send a pic and I can give you an idea of cost

Jim
Jim9er is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 4:50 am
Member
 
CalGx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Southeast Virginia, USA
Posts: 34
Garage
Re: Oops!!

I bought new lowers for my Electra Glide and used ColorRite paint and painted them myself. They will match the paint code and give you a base coat and a top coat. IIRC, they weren't cheap, like something OTS from autozone or the like. But still less than other choices. Mine came out a dead on match to the factory color. I know I'm new here but that is the experience I had. I was very happy.

Cal G.
Tidewater Virginia, USA
2012 R1200RT

Former rides in reverse order: '05 Electra Glide Ultra, '02 Kawasaki Voyager 12, 30 years off to raise kids, Kawasaki, KZ650, Suzuki GT 750, GT 380, Kawasaki 350, Yamaha 250, Honda CL160.

Last edited by CalGx; Sep 27th, 2019 at 4:52 am. Reason: add additional information
CalGx is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 27th, 2019, 11:13 pm
Member
 
rtwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 60
Re: Oops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
This is why crash bars are a must. They won't really help in an actual crash, but are a wallet-saver for tip-overs.

I've tipped mine twice and only had to replace the mirror cover (also on the right). About $60 from the dealer so maybe a quick search could yield a better deal.

As for the cover, well, you're gonna shit when you see how expensive those things are, I believe they are over $600 apiece! You can check out A&S Cycles parts fiche to find out.

A painter may be the better option, but again, a good paint job probably won't be cheap.

May I recommend decals? LOTS of decals!
A good paint job will cost $100 to $150 at a decent shop. I didn't see the scratches, but if they'll sand out, you can make it look new again.

Now is a good time to go. They aren't so busy. When it snows, they get deluged with repair work.

If you remove the part so they don't have to store your bag or bike, you'll save money and their time.

I repainted my whole '05 RT. They have a lot of pieces! I removed them all, cleaned them and delivered them to the shop. They had a great black. I always thought it should be black because of all that flat black plastic...and I was right. I put clear tail lights on it and it looked great.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
rtwiz is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 28th, 2019, 3:14 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 12
Garage
Re: Oops!!

A friends son works at a sho that does high end restoration work. Quoted me the same price as the sketchy guy down the block. Took the lid and mirror triangle off and should have them back in 2 weeks.
FireRT is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 29th, 2019, 6:08 pm
Senior Member
 
N00bie RT Gawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 544
Garage
Re: Oops!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
A good paint job will cost $100 to $150 at a decent shop. I didn't see the scratches, but if they'll sand out, you can make it look new again.

Now is a good time to go. They aren't so busy. When it snows, they get deluged with repair work.

If you remove the part so they don't have to store your bag or bike, you'll save money and their time.

I repainted my whole '05 RT. They have a lot of pieces! I removed them all, cleaned them and delivered them to the shop. They had a great black. I always thought it should be black because of all that flat black plastic...and I was right. I put clear tail lights on it and it looked great.
A place in town where I've had insurance work done on my car quoted $300 per side; they said the depth of the gouges would require a lot of sanding and such. Then there's the thing about getting a good paint match (I am aware of the ebony metallic kit on Amazon). I believe the replacement parts are like $600 (or more). Even the unpainted parts are insanely priced.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
N00bie RT Gawd is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 30th, 2019, 6:51 am
Senior Member
 
barryRT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, , Canada
Posts: 176
Re: Oops!!

I did the same and repainted, looks awesome.


1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
barryRT is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome