BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Denali compact horn install

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ea6255 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, wanted to see if anyone had a video of an install they did to a R1200RT? I think it’s pretty straight forward but it’s always nice to have something to look at for peace of mind! Thank you

#2 ·
I don't think there is one, but as you said, it's really straight-forward.

I installed the SoundBomb Mini because it was inexpensive, it has a lot of sound that I can hear at speed with earplugs in, and because it doesn't need any type of fiddling with the electronics to get it to work. You do have to get an adapter plug so that the BMW wiring will fit it, but it's like $15.

Installation is basically that adapter and one bolt. It's not a three-minute thing because of the location of the horn mount, but it's not difficult.

#3 ·
This may have been the easiest install of anything I've done to my 2015 RT. Hardest part was finding that elusive 10mm wrench, then discovering that the nut used by Denali was a different size from the BMW bolt, so had to find a different wrench to put the horn in place. Hint: put the adapter cable on the horn before installing it above the wheel. Sit on the ground in front of your bike. You can see the horn above the fender. Unplug it, then unbolt it. Bolt the new one in place where the old one came out, and plug in the adapter cable. You're done!

#5 ·
I swapped in Denali Sound Bomb Mini to my '16 RT but it's really no louder than the stock meeper that I could tell, so I installed two FIAMM Freeway Blasters on top of that with completely unobstructed operation for a total of 3 discordant horns, and that works quite well. I paid the shop to connect them as I wasn't sure how to use the trigger wire and fused power thru a relay. No CANbus faults since the SB Mini must be drawing similar amperage as the stock horn. I really like have a loud horn system I think it's well worth the cost.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the install info gentlemen.

I have a Stebel Nautilus that I never got around to install on the LT.

Earlier this week, I ordered a number of items for aux lights, flashing tail light, horn bracket for my RT plus the Denali CANsmart module from TT. There was conflicting info regarding the horn hook up. Appears that I'll be returning the Plug-N-Play Wiring Kit for Denali SoundBomb Compact & Split Dual-Tone Air Horns & Stebel Air Horn since I also ordered the Wiring Adapter for Connecting SoundBomb Horns to OEM BMW Harness.

I appreciate the info regarding the minor mechanical challenges attaching the horn to the RT. :dance:

#7 ·
Thanks for the install info gentlemen.

I have a Stebel Nautilus that I never got around to install on the LT.
I bought the full Hornig kit that has the Nautilus, bracket, and wiring adapter. The big thing about that kit is you don't use the old horn mounting bolt to mount the Nautilus. You actually move it up a bit to one of the fairing mount bolts. Otherwise the Nautilus will interfere with the steering. I think it would hit the forks.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.