Denali compact horn install - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ea6255

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2019, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Denali compact horn install

Hello everyone, wanted to see if anyone had a video of an install they did to a R1200RT? I think it’s pretty straight forward but it’s always nice to have something to look at for peace of mind! Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2019, 3:09 pm

Garage
Re: Denali compact horn install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea6255 View Post
Hello everyone, wanted to see if anyone had a video of an install they did to a R1200RT? I think itís pretty straight forward but itís always nice to have something to look at for peace of mind! Thank you
I don't think there is one, but as you said, it's really straight-forward.

I installed the SoundBomb Mini because it was inexpensive, it has a lot of sound that I can hear at speed with earplugs in, and because it doesn't need any type of fiddling with the electronics to get it to work. You do have to get an adapter plug so that the BMW wiring will fit it, but it's like $15.

Installation is basically that adapter and one bolt. It's not a three-minute thing because of the location of the horn mount, but it's not difficult.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 11th, 2019, 9:37 pm

Garage

This may have been the easiest install of anything I've done to my 2015 RT. Hardest part was finding that elusive 10mm wrench, then discovering that the nut used by Denali was a different size from the BMW bolt, so had to find a different wrench to put the horn in place. Hint: put the adapter cable on the horn before installing it above the wheel. Sit on the ground in front of your bike. You can see the horn above the fender. Unplug it, then unbolt it. Bolt the new one in place where the old one came out, and plug in the adapter cable. You're done!

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 2:18 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your input, I greatly appreciate it. It honestly wasn’t that difficult to install although I had the bmw adapter wire I was missing the bmw plug and play wiring. Just ordered it and will install when I get that.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea6255 View Post
Hello everyone, wanted to see if anyone had a video of an install they did to a R1200RT? I think it’s pretty straight forward but it’s always nice to have something to look at for peace of mind! Thank you
I swapped in Denali Sound Bomb Mini to my '16 RT but it's really no louder than the stock meeper that I could tell, so I installed two FIAMM Freeway Blasters on top of that with completely unobstructed operation for a total of 3 discordant horns, and that works quite well. I paid the shop to connect them as I wasn't sure how to use the trigger wire and fused power thru a relay. No CANbus faults since the SB Mini must be drawing similar amperage as the stock horn. I really like have a loud horn system I think it's well worth the cost.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 9:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the install info gentlemen.

I have a Stebel Nautilus that I never got around to install on the LT.

Earlier this week, I ordered a number of items for aux lights, flashing tail light, horn bracket for my RT plus the Denali CANsmart module from TT. There was conflicting info regarding the horn hook up. Appears that I'll be returning the Plug-N-Play Wiring Kit for Denali SoundBomb Compact & Split Dual-Tone Air Horns & Stebel Air Horn since I also ordered the Wiring Adapter for Connecting SoundBomb Horns to OEM BMW Harness.

I appreciate the info regarding the minor mechanical challenges attaching the horn to the RT.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Last edited by PMitchell; Sep 12th, 2019 at 10:14 am.
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Thanks for the install info gentlemen.

I have a Stebel Nautilus that I never got around to install on the LT.
I bought the full Hornig kit that has the Nautilus, bracket, and wiring adapter. The big thing about that kit is you don't use the old horn mounting bolt to mount the Nautilus. You actually move it up a bit to one of the fairing mount bolts. Otherwise the Nautilus will interfere with the steering. I think it would hit the forks.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There is an issues but in my research before ordering I found
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...on-please.html

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 15th, 2019, 1:46 am Thread Starter

Great stuff everyone! Thanks again for all the input and experiences you have had. It’s great
to bounce these things off your brains and see what different people have thought of.
LAF likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in