Soft Sided Cooler Selection - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cadmanpilot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Today, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Soft Sided Cooler Selection

I’ve been researching the soft sided cooler possibilities for an upcoming Bike Rally camping adventure. I have a 2015 RT with the standard sized panniers. I settled on the Polar Bear Nylon Line 12 Pack. I wanted something that would accommodate at least a couple days worth of critical items in the smallest size without breaking the bank. I considered the H2O Line of the same size because it had closed cell vice open cell foam insulation but at the 12 pack size the insulating value wasn’t increased by much. I’ve attached a photo of the cooler packed with towels to its maximum size and inserted inside of the pannier. It will fit in either side when I tested the fit. Closing wasn’t a problem and unnecessary force wasn’t required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5CCC92D1-0E11-4C32-A6BD-B53C2F5F51D6_1568141038708.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	154291   Click image for larger version

Name:	3FC54A17-CB1C-4392-805F-14A858B54592_1568141060478.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	154293  
alegerlotz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Today, 2:18 pm

Garage
Re: Soft Sided Cooler Selection

Not seeing a question so assuming you're just passing along some 4-1-1.

Not sure what you're going to be carrying in the cooler or for how long, but remember to think about the weight of the case when it's loaded with product AND ice (ice packs are worthless). Also remember to balance the weight in the other pannier. There is a technical weight limit for the side cases and you can see how much you're putting in each with a digital luggage scale.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #3 of 10 Old Today, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
Also remember to balance the weight in the other pannier.
Inquiring minds want to know why is this important? I carry all my necessities in the right side pannier and it is fairly heavy. My left side pannier is usually empty, unless I "stuff" a pair of extra gloves in it.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Today, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Inquiring minds want to know why is this important? I carry all my necessities in the right side pannier and it is fairly heavy. My left side pannier is usually empty, unless I "stuff" a pair of extra gloves in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
There is a technical weight limit for the side cases and you can see how much you're putting in each with a digital luggage scale.
im also curious... but i have been doing this for years,
because i also heard something about balancing the weight out... im no expert on this but when i heard it, it sort of made sense, so i do try to distribute it out.... just eye-balling it~ and when i do carry something heavy like a soft cooler bags or such, i just strap it to my rear seat (keep the weight centered i guess...)
post #5 of 10 Old Today, 4:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Page 90 of the manual.

Is it critical? Maybe not, but why put 25 pounds in one case when you can split that up?

post #6 of 10 Old Today, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

I posted this just for fitment Information if someone was interested. It really won’t be very heavy. It’s sized to hold 12 cans (9 lbs) + 5 lbs ice. I’ll probably be packing lighter items and such. When I was researching candidate coolers, I could not find examples that I knew would fit inside the panniers. I will be carrying the tent and sleeping bag on the seat behind me.
post #7 of 10 Old Today, 5:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanpilot View Post
I posted this just for fitment Information if someone was interested. It really wonít be very heavy. Itís sized to hold 12 cans (9 lbs) + 5 lbs ice. Iíll probably be packing lighter items and such. When I was researching candidate coolers, I could not find examples that I knew would fit inside the panniers. I will be carrying the tent and sleeping bag on the seat behind me.
I'd be interested in the weather conditions you faced during the trip and how this bag performs. They claim 24 hours of ice but don't mention what environment the bag was in. When I go on >24 hour rides, I like to bring my own fresh food (fruit, turkey sandwiches, etc); ice packs never last and ice just melts too fast and seeps into the sandwich bags. Usually not an issue when the temps are in the 40s and below but it quickly becomes one when the thermometer is reading nearly triple digits!

post #8 of 10 Old Today, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

I’ll report back after the trip. It’s difficult for any small container to retain a small amount of ice for very long. I intend to replace the ice each day with new ice and keep the ice in zip lock bags
post #9 of 10 Old Today, 7:44 pm

When it's really hot I use an RTIC Soft Pack 8 cooler. Held ice no problems for 48 hours in temps from 70s at night to 90s during the day. Not quite as big as OP's cooler, but it holds ice really well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190803_153546.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	154295  

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
  • Sargent World Sport Performance Seat (driver)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old Today, 7:59 pm

Garage

I have one of these for use once I get to the camp site.

https://icemulecoolers.com

Works fine, light weight, packs pretty small.

Ski

2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
1981 BMW R100RT in Forest Green
Honda 550 Four
Suzuki 250
Honda 175

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in