Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Shoptime
  • 1 Post By PadG
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Unread Sep 9th, 2019, 4:26 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Matt Supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 7
Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

I'm a new 1250RT owner and I see the USB plug in the top right pocket for the iPhone. After plugging in my iPhone I noticed that it doesn't work and in the manual I read that there is passage that says "obtain an adapter cable from your dealer".

First up, I can't see to find this part on the parts catalog. I can find the 30 pin adapter, but no lightning adapter?
Matt Supert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Unread Sep 9th, 2019, 4:53 pm
Senior Member
 
oldspice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa City, IA, USA
Posts: 1,478
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

I think you may be out of luck. The only (overpriced) cable I’ve seen just has the old 30-pin connector. I guess you could get the cable and a 30-pin to lightening adapter (if those exist?).

.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

2015 BMW R1200RT - "Artoo"
2012 BMW R1200RT - "Arthur", RIP
1985 Ford Escort L (for Luxury) - Ol' Blue - gone, but not forgotten
MSF RiderCoach
BMW MOA 175432
oldspice is offline  
post #3 of 37 Unread Sep 9th, 2019, 8:24 pm
Senior Member
 
Lee4BMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 122
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

I don't think the USB receptacle can be used to communicate with phones directly through a cable, only USB flash drives for music or as a possible charge point for phones and other devices. I know my 16 won't do that, but will communicate with the phone through bluetooth.

2016 R1200RT Premium, Platinum Bronze

Riding a motorcycle means never having to smell your own farts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lee4BMW is online now  
 
post #4 of 37 Unread Sep 9th, 2019, 9:45 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Not helpful in your case but thatís why I didnít buy the stereo on mine... Schuberth Bluetooth helmet set up and a hard mount for iPhone with a hardwired USB adapter going to battery for power only. Solves GPS issue as well. Used the money for Option 719 paint and seat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RJPsRT likes this.
Shoptime is online now  
post #5 of 37 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 6:19 am
Senior Member
 
Chieflonghair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4BMW View Post
I don't think the USB receptacle can be used to communicate with phones directly through a cable, only USB flash drives for music or as a possible charge point for phones and other devices. I know my 16 won't do that, but will communicate with the phone through bluetooth.
Ditto.....so when you plug the I phone in and the key on it should indicate charging...then add sena or whatever Bluetooth to your helmet...music..text...calls...works really well...
Chieflonghair is offline  
post #6 of 37 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 7:32 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I'm a new 1250RT owner and I see the USB plug in the top right pocket for the iPhone. After plugging in my iPhone I noticed that it doesn't work and in the manual I read that there is passage that says "obtain an adapter cable from your dealer".

First up, I can't see to find this part on the parts catalog. I can find the 30 pin adapter, but no lightning adapter?
You will need that adapter and a 30pins to lightning converter cable. Do NOT get a cheap Chinese knock-off cable. It seems that Apple has built-in circuitry to detect non-Apple cables, and will not allow data transfer through the port. The USB is used just to play music to the RT's radio, and you will be able to use the Wunderwheel on the left handlebar to make the various selections.



I had my iPod connected that way several years ago, when I first bought my '15 RT. However, since the origin of all of my music on the iPod were MP3s, I find it a lot better to copy all of the MP3 files to a thumb drive and connect that to the RT's USB port instead of the iPod. I actually got more functionality options this way than with the iPod, and that is what I am using now.


As others said, I don't think that you will be able to use your iPhone as phone this way, or even to stream audio to the radio with this method, but I might be wrong on the last one. I don't use iPhone.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #7 of 37 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 8:05 am
Senior Member
 
N00bie RT Gawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 537
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I'm a new 1250RT owner and I see the USB plug in the top right pocket for the iPhone. After plugging in my iPhone I noticed that it doesn't work and in the manual I read that there is passage that says "obtain an adapter cable from your dealer".

First up, I can't see to find this part on the parts catalog. I can find the 30 pin adapter, but no lightning adapter?
Welcome to the club! Be prepared to be disappointed in many things BMW does. The audio on the RT is totally shit so don't waste your time with it. As many have pointed out, you'd be better served to just pair your iDevice to your helmet. This will also prevent you from pulling your hair out and/or making donations to the swear jar every time the audio connection goes down.

As for me, well, I took out the speakers and the receiver on my '16 RT. Shaved 30 pounds and gained 11 HP and 20 Nm of torque by doing so.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
N00bie RT Gawd is offline  
post #8 of 37 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 8:56 am
Senior Member
 
oldspice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa City, IA, USA
Posts: 1,478
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
You will need that adapter and a 30pins to lightning converter cable. Do NOT get a cheap Chinese knock-off cable. It seems that Apple has built-in circuitry to detect non-Apple cables, and will not allow data transfer through the port. The USB is used just to play music to the RT's radio, and you will be able to use the Wunderwheel on the left handlebar to make the various selections.



I had my iPod connected that way several years ago, when I first bought my '15 RT. However, since the origin of all of my music on the iPod were MP3s, I find it a lot better to copy all of the MP3 files to a thumb drive and connect that to the RT's USB port instead of the iPod. I actually got more functionality options this way than with the iPod, and that is what I am using now.


As others said, I don't think that you will be able to use your iPhone as phone this way, or even to stream audio to the radio with this method, but I might be wrong on the last one. I don't use iPhone.
Hey Pad - I'm curious as to what more functionality you get out the thumb drive vs. iPod arrangement?

Oh, and I think you may be able to pull music off an iPod by using the AUX or "little audio plug" icon under the SRC menu? Maybe not, but I was farting around with the settings and noticed I got music from the iPod when I selected that SRC option. Of course, I had the iPod plugged in with the BMW cable, so not sure..... I fart around some more and report back.

.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

2015 BMW R1200RT - "Artoo"
2012 BMW R1200RT - "Arthur", RIP
1985 Ford Escort L (for Luxury) - Ol' Blue - gone, but not forgotten
MSF RiderCoach
BMW MOA 175432
oldspice is offline  
post #9 of 37 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 9:14 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Matt Supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 7
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice View Post
Hey Pad - I'm curious as to what more functionality you get out the thumb drive vs. iPod arrangement?

Oh, and I think you may be able to pull music off an iPod by using the AUX or "little audio plug" icon under the SRC menu? Maybe not, but I was farting around with the settings and noticed I got music from the iPod when I selected that SRC option. Of course, I had the iPod plugged in with the BMW cable, so not sure..... I fart around some more and report back.
I would be curious about running off the USB stick as well. Does it pull in the menu/folder structure off the USB stick? Audio is streamed right through the USB connection and doesn't need the 3.5mm audio jack? That seems like the easiest solution.
Matt Supert is offline  
post #10 of 37 Unread Sep 10th, 2019, 11:14 am
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Torrance, CA, USA
Posts: 95
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I would be curious about running off the USB stick as well. Does it pull in the menu/folder structure off the USB stick? Audio is streamed right through the USB connection and doesn't need the 3.5mm audio jack? That seems like the easiest solution.
no need for the 3.5mm audio jack. and it does pull the folders in the menu off od the usb~
joekahng is offline  
post #11 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 6:06 am
Senior Member
 
Chieflonghair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I'm a new 1250RT owner and I see the USB plug in the top right pocket for the iPhone. After plugging in my iPhone I noticed that it doesn't work and in the manual I read that there is passage that says "obtain an adapter cable from your dealer".

First up, I can't see to find this part on the parts catalog. I can find the 30 pin adapter, but no lightning adapter?
Welcome to the club! Be prepared to be disappointed in many things BMW does. The audio on the RT is totally shit so don't waste your time with it. As many have pointed out, you'd be better served to just pair your iDevice to your helmet. This will also prevent you from pulling your hair out and/or making donations to the swear jar every time the audio connection goes down. <img src="http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />

As for me, well, I took out the speakers and the receiver on my '16 RT. Shaved 30 pounds and gained 11 HP and 20 Nm of torque by doing so. <img src="http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />
Agreed...I did the same...did not realize that I gained HP...??...but it's all about weight to hp ratio..so shaving 30 lbs...is a pretty good chunk...where is the receiver unit that you took out..I only did the speakers...
Chieflonghair is offline  
post #12 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 7:42 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice View Post
Hey Pad - I'm curious as to what more functionality you get out the thumb drive vs. iPod arrangement?

Oh, and I think you may be able to pull music off an iPod by using the AUX or "little audio plug" icon under the SRC menu? Maybe not, but I was farting around with the settings and noticed I got music from the iPod when I selected that SRC option. Of course, I had the iPod plugged in with the BMW cable, so not sure..... I fart around some more and report back.
Hi Tom,


IF the MP3 files have the proper data in their ID3 header section, and there is an excellent freeware that will let you do that, then the radio's player will use the data to give you the functionalities. In any case, you will get all of the functionalities that you get with an Ipod/iPhone connection plus several others like being able to select a given folder to play. I will need to turn on my RT and get all of the choices available, and I can do that later if you really want to know.



I usually have my MP3s in folders according to artist and album name. The radio's player will take a minute, or several, the first time that you plug in your thumb drive (I actually use a microSD card in a tiny USB reader). It's just looking for all of the MP3 files on the drive, regardless of folders, and then reading and storing the ID3 data into the radio's memory. If you leave the drive in place, it won't need to go through this again any time that you turn the RT back on. My MP3s are of high bit-rate, usually around 271 kbps. It used to be at the max. of 320 kbps, but I needed more room for more music, and so derated them all to 271 kbps. Can't tell the deference with this derating.


BTW, I assume that you find the quality of the music to be fine? I have absolutely no problems with the quality at all. There are several people who claim that the music from the RT's radio via bluetooth is lousy, but I think that they just don't know how to adjust "things"!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #13 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 7:47 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I would be curious about running off the USB stick as well. Does it pull in the menu/folder structure off the USB stick? Audio is streamed right through the USB connection and doesn't need the 3.5mm audio jack? That seems like the easiest solution.
It IS the easiest method, and far less expensive than going off your iPod/iPhone, which was why I had mentioned it. If your music via iTune is of MP3 origin, you can simply drag and drop any selections from iTune to any folder, and you will get a copy in MP3 format. You should get the answer to your other question in my answer to Tom.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #14 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 8:53 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Hi , I had the same problem, a visit to the flea bay and I have found the usb and audio jack with lighting connector and it seems to fit. Not tried it yet as dropped it so focused on sorting the damage.
Guardian Angel is offline  
post #15 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 10:18 am
Senior Member
 
oldspice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa City, IA, USA
Posts: 1,478
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Hi Tom,


IF the MP3 files have the proper data in their ID3 header section, and there is an excellent freeware that will let you do that, then the radio's player will use the data to give you the functionalities. In any case, you will get all of the functionalities that you get with an Ipod/iPhone connection plus several others like being able to select a given folder to play. I will need to turn on my RT and get all of the choices available, and I can do that later if you really want to know.



I usually have my MP3s in folders according to artist and album name. The radio's player will take a minute, or several, the first time that you plug in your thumb drive (I actually use a microSD card in a tiny USB reader). It's just looking for all of the MP3 files on the drive, regardless of folders, and then reading and storing the ID3 data into the radio's memory. If you leave the drive in place, it won't need to go through this again any time that you turn the RT back on. My MP3s are of high bit-rate, usually around 271 kbps. It used to be at the max. of 320 kbps, but I needed more room for more music, and so derated them all to 271 kbps. Can't tell the deference with this derating.


BTW, I assume that you find the quality of the music to be fine? I have absolutely no problems with the quality at all. There are several people who claim that the music from the RT's radio via bluetooth is lousy, but I think that they just don't know how to adjust "things"!
Thanks Pad - that make sense. May look into that route if I'm bored sometime - my iPod set up is adequate, but I find that when I listen on shuffle/random, the same tracks sometimes get stuck in a loop. Not sure if that's the iPod or the RT or a combo of both.

In terms of quality, it's OK, I think a bit better than my old RT. When I want quality, I go the Sena/earbuds route, but for quick jaunts around town, the built-in system works fine in a pinch.

.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

2015 BMW R1200RT - "Artoo"
2012 BMW R1200RT - "Arthur", RIP
1985 Ford Escort L (for Luxury) - Ol' Blue - gone, but not forgotten
MSF RiderCoach
BMW MOA 175432
oldspice is offline  
post #16 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 10:38 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspice View Post
Thanks Pad - that make sense. May look into that route if I'm bored sometime - my iPod set up is adequate, but I find that when I listen on shuffle/random, the same tracks sometimes get stuck in a loop. Not sure if that's the iPod or the RT or a combo of both.

In terms of quality, it's OK, I think a bit better than my old RT. When I want quality, I go the Sena/earbuds route, but for quick jaunts around town, the built-in system works fine in a pinch.
Ahhhhh . . . that random issue is definitely iPod related! I usually listen to my music by album selection, and the songs in order that they are played in the album. This came about, for me, from the old days (very old) when I listen to my music, at home, from reel-to-reel tapes. I would buy my records, and the first thing that I do is record the record onto my tape, and then stash my record for archiving. I can usually fit 6 records onto my 7" reel-to-reel tape at 3-3/4 ips record speed, and that's what I used to listen to. I went high-tech in the mid-90s period when I started playing with CD recorders and MP3 files.


Anyway, here are the options that you will get with using Mp3 files and the USB input:


Titles - song titles.
Directory - the folder directory, however you have it in your thumbdrive
Playlist - any playlist that you have on your thumbdrive in m3u format (same as Apple playlist)
Artists
Albums
Generes


Any of the above is accessible with the Wunderwheel, and when selected, will always have "All", as the first option.



Lately, I have been selecting Genres, then the one that I want to hear, then All, and play the songs in random, using the radio's random setting (hold the MODE button for a second or so, until RND appears on the display). I do get true random this way, and get one song played from different artists and albums. It might be related to the number of songs that I have loaded. Several hundreds in each genre, and somewhere around 6,000 - 7,000 songs in total.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #17 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 11:06 am
Senior Member
 
N00bie RT Gawd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 537
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflonghair View Post
Agreed...I did the same...did not realize that I gained HP...??...but it's all about weight to hp ratio..so shaving 30 lbs...is a pretty good chunk...where is the receiver unit that you took out..I only did the speakers...
It's the silver box under the passenger seat. I believe it's an Alpine product.

You gain additional HP/torque ONLY if you have the ebony metallic scheme!

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
N00bie RT Gawd is offline  
post #18 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 2:18 pm
Senior Member
 
oldspice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Iowa City, IA, USA
Posts: 1,478
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Ahhhhh . . . that random issue is definitely iPod related! I usually listen to my music by album selection, and the songs in order that they are played in the album. This came about, for me, from the old days (very old) when I listen to my music, at home, from reel-to-reel tapes. I would buy my records, and the first thing that I do is record the record onto my tape, and then stash my record for archiving. I can usually fit 6 records onto my 7" reel-to-reel tape at 3-3/4 ips record speed, and that's what I used to listen to. I went high-tech in the mid-90s period when I started playing with CD recorders and MP3 files.


Anyway, here are the options that you will get with using Mp3 files and the USB input:


Titles - song titles.
Directory - the folder directory, however you have it in your thumbdrive
Playlist - any playlist that you have on your thumbdrive in m3u format (same as Apple playlist)
Artists
Albums
Generes


Any of the above is accessible with the Wunderwheel, and when selected, will always have "All", as the first option.



Lately, I have been selecting Genres, then the one that I want to hear, then All, and play the songs in random, using the radio's random setting (hold the MODE button for a second or so, until RND appears on the display). I do get true random this way, and get one song played from different artists and albums. It might be related to the number of songs that I have loaded. Several hundreds in each genre, and somewhere around 6,000 - 7,000 songs in total.
Thanks much, Pad!

.
"Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

2015 BMW R1200RT - "Artoo"
2012 BMW R1200RT - "Arthur", RIP
1985 Ford Escort L (for Luxury) - Ol' Blue - gone, but not forgotten
MSF RiderCoach
BMW MOA 175432
oldspice is offline  
post #19 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 3:25 pm
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,538
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

ok, slightly off topic here. I have a 2008 RT with factory radio. I have a xm receiver connected to what I believe is the radio's aux jack. I would like to do away with the xm receiver.


The million dollar question, what the most economical way to listen to my mp3 music collection? My music collection consist of 88 GB of music on 2,782 folders and 23,175 files (which I assume are the mp3 files). Most iPods I see are approximately $300 (128GB) to $400 (256 GB) depending on is size.



A thumb drive would be ideal, but what kind of adapter do I need to connect to the radio's AUX connector? Powering the adapter will not be a problem as I am using a boosteroo to boost the xm receivers output.


The device would have to allow me to select artist and their albums.



Thanks in advance!!!!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is online now  
post #20 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 7:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Mike, I am afraid that your option is very limited. What kind of input is available on your '08 radio? I don't remember what I did when I had my '07!


If you had a camhead, you would have been able to use the USB input, but that radio is quite different than our wethead, in that it requires you to have the MP3 files in folders with specific name and it doesn't have the wide options available for the wethead's radio,

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #21 of 37 Unread Sep 11th, 2019, 10:29 pm
Cat Herder
 
tvguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posts: 1,352
Garage
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

You need one of these to control your iPhone or iPod. You can get them at a BMW car dealership. You don't need to buy it from a BMW motorcycle dealer. They are overpriced as you would expect. Avoid any POS's from the Amazon. They will give you trouble in the end
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4588.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	154307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4586.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	154309  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tvguy is offline  
post #22 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 7:05 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,538
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Thanks for your replies Pad and Jeff. My radio has a 3.5mm aux input. I can try one of those cables that Jeff has pictured to connect my iPhone, but I do not know how much Verizon data that would be using. Like I said, iPods are $300. I may be able to find a used one somewhere. I just did another search and this came up:
https://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-...SIN=B01A8NU5CG
It looks promising at $130. It has 32 GB internal storage and I can install a 32 GB microSD card. I downloaded the user manual and it said you can use a 64 GB microSD card but they do not recommend that.
I just would like to get away from XM. Thanks!!!!!!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is online now  
post #23 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 7:46 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Thanks for your replies Pad and Jeff. My radio has a 3.5mm aux input. I can try one of those cables that Jeff has pictured to connect my iPhone, but I do not know how much Verizon data that would be using. Like I said, iPods are $300. I may be able to find a used one somewhere. I just did another search and this came up:
https://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-...SIN=B01A8NU5CG
It looks promising at $130. It has 32 GB internal storage and I can install a 32 GB microSD card. I downloaded the user manual and it said you can use a 64 GB microSD card but they do not recommend that.
I just would like to get away from XM. Thanks!!!!!!
Mike, do NOT spend the money on the cable! That response about the cable was to the OP and not to you.



OK, I do remember the audio connection now, and if you have the iPhone, then it's the same thing as having an iPod! I have a pair of iPods but not the iPhone. Generally, I don't like Apple, but the iPod is the best MP3 players out there since they were first made! I use the older iPod (2nd gen) to listen to audiobooks and the newer one of maximum storage capacity to listen to my music collection, while not on the RT!


I am afraid that your RT's radio has just the very basic features. That's how it is with the older hexheads. The only way that you will be able to get music (or any audio) from your iPhone to the RT is via a physical connection to that 3.5 mm audio jack. From what I understand (since I don't use an iPhone), the newer iPhones do not have audio jack anymore. The solution to that is very easy. Get a lightning to audio jack cable, OR (my recommendation) get an inexpensive bluetooth receiver (an example https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...93H19YVEXFBF01 ) that you plug into the RT's radio and pair that receiver to your iPhone.


Since your RT has the very basic radio, you won't be able to control what you listen to, because all of that will have to be done manually before you take off on your ride, or stop to make any changes on your iPhone itself.
mtrevelino likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #24 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 8:19 am
Senior Member
 
Chieflonghair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflonghair View Post
Agreed...I did the same...did not realize that I gained HP...??...but it's all about weight to hp ratio..so shaving 30 lbs...is a pretty good chunk...where is the receiver unit that you took out..I only did the speakers...
It's the silver box under the passenger seat. I believe it's an Alpine product.

You gain additional HP/torque ONLY if you have the ebony metallic scheme! <img src="http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />
Okay thank you...I will see about that...I guess I goofed and bought the slow color....lol...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55C3EFF9-C518-4F71-840D-ECF721AEA603_1568294359397.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	154311  
Chieflonghair is offline  
post #25 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 9:07 am
Senior Member
 
hopz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Posts: 2,669
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

OK... first let me confess that I have not read in detail all the posts before mine. I did read the original post....

My comment is that unless BMW has changed something, or Garmin has... I successfully just Bluetoothed my iPhone to the system. From there I received and sent phone calls and also played music that was on the iPhone. The iPhone remained in my ride jacket...

My pal and I rode from Colorado to a Rally in upstate Wisconsin and I had contact and music all the way there and back...

(p.s. there is a post, not too long ago showing the pairing sequence to accomplish this...)

2014 R1200RT WC

ďAs Woody Guthrie says, ĎLeft wing, right wing, chicken wing.íI keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, itís all a mystery in the end.Ē
hopz is offline  
post #26 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 10:13 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,538
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Thanks Pad. I just ordered that bluetooth adapter and will see how that work. I will have to see how it eats up my Verizon data plan with listening to the music.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is online now  
post #27 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 12:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
Thanks Pad. I just ordered that bluetooth adapter and will see how that work. I will have to see how it eats up my Verizon data plan with listening to the music.
IF you have your music loaded into your iPhone (via iTune), it will not use any data at all. It will use up data from your plan only if you are streaming music from online.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #28 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 2:17 pm
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,538
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
IF you have your music loaded into your iPhone (via iTune), it will not use any data at all. It will use up data from your plan only if you are streaming music from online.
I have the iPhone 6 which is 64 GB. I have approximately 30 GB of free space. I may try to move some of my music to iTunes and give that a try.
Thanks!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is online now  
post #29 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 7:42 pm
Member
 
rtwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I'm a new 1250RT owner and I see the USB plug in the top right pocket for the iPhone. After plugging in my iPhone I noticed that it doesn't work and in the manual I read that there is passage that says "obtain an adapter cable from your dealer".

First up, I can't see to find this part on the parts catalog. I can find the 30 pin adapter, but no lightning adapter?
Ya...You can't plug a phone in there and expect phone stuff, but you can plug an old iPhone in it to use as an iPod...or...you can just plug an iPod in. 30 pin for those. ...or you can just plug in a chip, which I've never tried. I use an iPod in mine and paid the big bucks for the special cable. It works and you can use the magic wheel to advance or replay tunes. If you use the dash speakers...not recommended, you can adjust volume with the wheel also. If you use a bluetooth helmet device linked to your bike, you can play music into your helmet or earphones plugged into the helmet bluetooth. This is nice. I use it all the time. I adjust volume with my Cardo bluetooth volume adjustment...which is "hey, cardo, volume up!" etc.

fwiw: I favor Cardo over Sena. I have a Cardo PakTalk Slim and had a Sena 30. Cardo seems better to me. Both are improving steadily but slowly. Cardo seems to have better noise reduction and works as it's supposed to. Sena, does a few things OK, others not so much.

This stuff takes some patience. Be cool and don't expect to master it all the first day.


'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
rtwiz is offline  
post #30 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 7:44 pm
Member
 
rtwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
OK... first let me confess that I have not read in detail all the posts before mine. I did read the original post....

My comment is that unless BMW has changed something, or Garmin has... I successfully just Bluetoothed my iPhone to the system. From there I received and sent phone calls and also played music that was on the iPhone. The iPhone remained in my ride jacket...

My pal and I rode from Colorado to a Rally in upstate Wisconsin and I had contact and music all the way there and back...

(p.s. there is a post, not too long ago showing the pairing sequence to accomplish this...)

Wow, you have a good battery in that phone!!!


'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
rtwiz is offline  
post #31 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 7:49 pm
Member
 
rtwiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 56
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Mike, do NOT spend the money on the cable! That response about the cable was to the OP and not to you.



OK, I do remember the audio connection now, and if you have the iPhone, then it's the same thing as having an iPod! I have a pair of iPods but not the iPhone. Generally, I don't like Apple, but the iPod is the best MP3 players out there since they were first made! I use the older iPod (2nd gen) to listen to audiobooks and the newer one of maximum storage capacity to listen to my music collection, while not on the RT!


I am afraid that your RT's radio has just the very basic features. That's how it is with the older hexheads. The only way that you will be able to get music (or any audio) from your iPhone to the RT is via a physical connection to that 3.5 mm audio jack. From what I understand (since I don't use an iPhone), the newer iPhones do not have audio jack anymore. The solution to that is very easy. Get a lightning to audio jack cable, OR (my recommendation) get an inexpensive bluetooth receiver (an example https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...93H19YVEXFBF01 ) that you plug into the RT's radio and pair that receiver to your iPhone.


Since your RT has the very basic radio, you won't be able to control what you listen to, because all of that will have to be done manually before you take off on your ride, or stop to make any changes on your iPhone itself.
Um...this is no longer good information. It may have been once, but no more. You can connect the bike to a bluetooth headset and to your phone. You can change ipod tunes with the handlebar wheel. You can get the Nav 6 GPS to talk into your helmet or through the speakers.

The expensive cable is worth it because a normal cable doesn't seem to work.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
rtwiz is offline  
post #32 of 37 Unread Yesterday, 8:11 pm
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,538
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
Um...this is no longer good information. It may have been once, but no more. You can connect the bike to a bluetooth headset and to your phone. You can change ipod tunes with the handlebar wheel. You can get the Nav 6 GPS to talk into your helmet or through the speakers.

The expensive cable is worth it because a normal cable doesn't seem to work.
You do know we or at least I am talking about a 2008 RT. It does not have the handlebar wheel.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is online now  
post #33 of 37 Unread Today, 7:36 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
Um...this is no longer good information. It may have been once, but no more. You can connect the bike to a bluetooth headset and to your phone. You can change ipod tunes with the handlebar wheel. You can get the Nav 6 GPS to talk into your helmet or through the speakers.

The expensive cable is worth it because a normal cable doesn't seem to work.
Sorry, but I am afraid that you are not READING! Mike went slightly off topic and asked about HIS hexhead '08 RT!!!!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #34 of 37 Unread Today, 7:40 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

BTW, Mike, I forgot to mention that you could listen to your music from the iPhone by linking the phone directly to your headset. The other option available is that, if you have a Garmin GPS on the bike, you could copy your MP3s to a microSD card and put that in the GPS. They do have a built in player that will allow you to play music from the unit. I have never done this though, and so can't tell you how good that is, or what functionalities is available.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #35 of 37 Unread Today, 8:40 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Matt Supert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 7
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
BTW, Mike, I forgot to mention that you could listen to your music from the iPhone by linking the phone directly to your headset. The other option available is that, if you have a Garmin GPS on the bike, you could copy your MP3s to a microSD card and put that in the GPS. They do have a built in player that will allow you to play music from the unit. I have never done this though, and so can't tell you how good that is, or what functionalities is available.
I believe that will play via bluetooth headset only. The Garmin won't output to the Speakers or Audio system.
Matt Supert is offline  
post #36 of 37 Unread Today, 10:48 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,641
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Supert View Post
I believe that will play via bluetooth headset only. The Garmin won't output to the Speakers or Audio system.
Right, but if Mike has a Garmin on his RT he would be connected to it via bluetooth anyway.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #37 of 37 Unread Today, 11:20 am
Senior Member
 
mtrevelino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Williamsburg, VA, USA
Posts: 2,538
Re: Audio System "Adapter" Cable for iPhone

Again, sorry for going off topic on the original OP's topic. I have the JMCB-2003 BMW system that I think was originally installed on a 2003 LT. The previous owner of my RT had it moved to the RT. So, I do not have bluetooth headsets. I do have a Garmin Nuvi gps, but it is not connected to anything except power. Unfortunately, getting any other input like a cellphone to the JMB system will cost approximately $500 for a JMB interface module which I refuse to purchase.
Thanks again!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mtrevelino is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (1 members and 7 guests)



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome