Why can't we do this to the RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2019, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Why can't we do this to the RT

Some dude apparently with nothing else to do but to stuff a K16 engine into a GS frame. The article it came from was written in a foreign language...unfortunately, it wasn't neither Spanish nor English therefore it left me in the blank as to construction issues, only got to understand the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K16.GS.b.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	154259   Click image for larger version

Name:	k16.GSa.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	154261  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2019, 8:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Why can't we do this to the RT

Here ya go . . .Essai moto exclusif BMW K1600 GS Mammoth

Special K on two wheels
6-cylinder inline 1,649cc, 160hp, 175Nm, 310kg full, 39 liter tank, tubular frame, Dynamic ESA suspension ...
BMW has always been able to maximize the number of model segments that can be reached with its various platforms. It is therefore surprising that, since the introduction of its high-end K1600 six-cylinder models in 2011, the more than 50,000 models sold have not resulted in other variations than the K1600GT and GTL and the bagger B K1600 . Not even a custom against the Honda F6C nor a serial version of its Concept 6which was all the rage at the 2009 Milan Motor Show. And most importantly, given the resounding success of the R1200 Boxer version, no K 1600 GS. Finally, not yet because we can expect that drawings and maybe even a prototype probably exist somewhere in the depths of BMW's R & D department

Read the entire article for the scoop. You can select English from the menu at the top.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
Some dude apparently with nothing else to do but to stuff a K16 engine into a GS frame. The article it came from was written in a foreign language...unfortunately, it wasn't neither Spanish nor English therefore it left me in the blank as to construction issues, only got to understand the pics.

It's in French
The guy who did this did a lot of R&D for BMW. He was a consultant for the development of the telelever for the R1100 RS among other things.

The frame is custom made. The radiators come from an Aprilla RSV1000.
There is no telelever for the front it's an inverted fork
Front wheel is 19'' rear 17''
It has a 39l tank (10.3 US gal)

Weigh 19 kg (42lbs) less than the K1600 GT (wet, fully fueled))
Custom made Akrapovic 6-2 exhausts

Max speed 250kph (155mph)

If you want one, It will take 6 months and it will cost you around 50K Euros (Around $55K USD)

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 7th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Well, First because none of is Nikko Baker .

Second because the last thing you need is a more powerful/heavy "DirtBike" but if you have the money call Nikko he is a super nice guy, very creative and open to all kinds of silly ideas plus his shop is really close to Amsterdam and Bert Dusmma BMW shop (with tons of HPN and BMW history)
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 8th, 2019, 8:37 am

Garage

It's interresting to see but I find it funny that in this review, they never tested it Off Road.

Isn't it what a GS is supposed to be for?
Or is it "a Jeep Thing" where most of them never see dirt?

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Most GS's never see dirt. It is a jeep thing.

2014 R 1200 RT
2016 S 1000 XR
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2019, 1:51 pm Thread Starter

If you have ever heard of "funny cars". This is a "funny bike"...maybe more like a 'hilarious bike'
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2019, 5:41 pm

I don't really know if I need to go 155 down my gravel driveway, I have done 105 down a double track dirt road on my GS though, when I was younger and dumber.
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 10th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann323 View Post
It's interresting to see but I find it funny that in this review, they never tested it Off Road.

Isn't it what a GS is supposed to be for?
Or is it "a Jeep Thing" where most of them never see dirt?
Sadly more than 90 % of the GS's don't touch anything harsher than dual tracks and fire roads..

I use to make sure the percentage change by helping/teaching classes, but most riders are to concern with wasting such a big investment (for that very reason I never buy new bikes, unless is no used ones in the market (KTM950 for example, but I got a "Pro deal" on it, but still feels bad to scratch a brand new bike, so I scratch it with my boot on purpose since the first scratch is the one that really "LIberates you")..

i think the problem is that many of the riders get a GS as a first bike, or at least the first bike that can be taking on anything different than plain pavement..

Besides a TDM a 11GS was my first "Dirt bike", (But I was a pro mountain bike/downhill racer at the time so the skills kind of overlap) sincerely to really gain skills people need to smart in much smaller less powerful (engine and braking, no sensors, no aids) bikes and if possible at a much younger age too (I start riding at 32 (57 now)

the GS's just teach you some really horrible habits that you need to De-learn before you can become a proficient rider, for example Jimmy's classes are insally good, best investment ever even if you only ride on the road since they teach you how to ride in "Inconsistent surfaces" from Cut Grass, to wet metal plates on bridges, wet pavement, etc)

Sadly no picture day today (the icon those not show) but I have millions of fun pictures..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in