BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

RT Touring Comfort

6K views 39 replies 32 participants last post by  Voyager 
#1 ·
Just joined the Forum. I'm currently riding a 2018 K1600B that I've had since 8/2017 and have put 14,000 miles on. I live in Colorado and the bike is great in the mountains. However, on the highway/interstate it catches a lot of bad air and wobbles way too much for my liking. I've made a lot of changes like windshield and stiffening suspension etc but I can't see myself touring on the B. It's my first BMW and I love the quality of the product.

The thing I loved about my prior HD Ultra was the fairing and the quiet air while riding. I tried riding a GTL, didn't notice same wobble as the B but still felt like there was a lot of buffeting and wind in the cockpit. Seems to me the fairings on the B & GTL don't provide that much protection on your upper body or legs.

I'm considering a Goldwing but frankly the weight concerns me. I'm 64, 5'8" so weight matters. I was attracted to the RT given the lower weight and wider fairing.

What I'd like to know is how calm is it in the cockpit behind the RT fairing when on the interstate or otherwise? Any prior B/GTL owners that have an opinion? Thanks much.

#2 ·
I also went from a 2010 GeezerGlide (Ultra) to a 2018 RT.

For riding comfort, I ordered a Russell Day Long saddle, lowered the riding pegs with the Suburban kit, and changed to a tall Werks Quiet Ride Windscreen. https://www.werksparts.com/quiet-ride-windshield---bmw.html
I'm 6'4"
If anything, it is too effective on hot days.
Very large, very calm pocket behind it.
Super comfortable

#7 ·
I totally agree with John. Coming from long time with Harley Ultras the R1200RT is by far the most comfortable bike I and my wife have ever ridden. With the WERKS shield and handle bar risers its amazing!

#3 ·
I'm only 5'10" so the standard windscreen and foot pegs are perfect for me. It's very calm in the saddle with the windscreen up, but prefer some headwind on helmet. The RT loves twisty roads and carves them up.

#4 ·
I know quite a few of the GT riders like their AeroWing to help settle down the turbulence.

AeroFlow Corp. K1600 AeroWing Photos

Butt wise, I love my Russel Day long. For a short guy, not sure I'd recommend one though. It does add seat height. I'd recommend a BMS Bill Mayer saddle for shorter RT riders.

I'd say try the Aerowings on your B. Looking at their site, I'm not sure if they fit the B, so I'd ask. But if you're riding 2 up, I think the B/GT's are better. If you're riding solo, I think the RT is a better bike. Lighter and has better wind pockets.

But I'd also recommend a Quiet Werks windshield for the RT. That helps the RT wind pocket.

#5 ·
I think the bad air wobble you are getting is when you are in traffic...especially truck and trailer...my 2014RT does that...my solution is to pass and get in clean air...I am 6 ft and 200 lbs..the bike dry is 570...I run stock windshield and seat..I find the bike great as is...but to me the only way to get away from the dirty air wobble is with a bigger heavier bike like your ultra....wing..or a LT...all of them are about 300 lbs heavier...I have just over 100K on mine maybe 20 percent interstate...the bike just feels so perfect on crooked roads...I suppose the aftermarket screens could possibly cure that but I am good with the stock screen and just pass and find clean air...

#6 ·
I have a 2019 RT. I am considering the suburban machinery lowered foot pegs as well. Did you have to change the brake or gearshift lever in order to accommodate the lowered pegs?

Thanks

#11 ·
I installed the peg lowering kit and adjusted the shifter a tad lower. It wasn't necessary, in fact, I ran with the shifter in the pre-peg-lowering position for a few weeks without issue - it was just a tad harder to use the quick shifter, so I adjusted the lever lower. Super easy to adjust.

The brake lever, on the other hand, no adjustment. However, I found that I didn't need to adjust that at all, so I'm good to go.

#8 ·
Welcome on-board ... Colorado? Me too... the Springs... but I digress.

I am about the same height, maybe an inch shorter. Kind of slim. I was on a '14 RT for years after the standard trips through all the other brands and agree the BMW's are top of the line. (They all have "something" that just dosent fit though- brand does not matter they all have something)

I found the RT to be great on the long rides, as well as the shorter one's too. My pal and I left Colorado Springs and rode to upstate Wisconsin over two days for a rally. Easy ride, fun, no issues, could have kept going for another 2 days and never felt beat-up.

I did have a few mods, but just the standard stuff. Peg lowering kit, front and rear side bars, Grip covers. I had the top case also. Windshield remained stock and I had no issues but there are many options for others.

My only "thing" was the stock tires- which were Michelin GT4's... Late in my ownership of that bike I switched to Pirelli Angel GT's and they were a magnificent change.

Recently sold the '14 and was sorry to let it go, but time marches on and etc... miss it but not going back.

Reactions: coselder
#9 ·
RT is a great long distance touring bike. Set up like you want to meet your needs. As far as being moved around on the highway I believe all bikes move around some what. Remember the mass and weight of the truck and the air it has to push and turbulence it will make. You are on a 600-900 pound bike and it will move you. I had a GTL and it moved around some what behind trucks.... but so does the RT. Like others have said get out of the dirty air area and all is good.

#10 ·
I'm 66 and 5' 10". I had a 2016 GTLE and it was dressed up with Aeroflow and RDL. I hated the way it felt in cross winds or around traffic out on the big road. So much so that I sold it. I got a 2006 LT and I love it. Solid as can be and faster than I'll ever be in the twisties. You read a lot about how the LT is a poor handling bike at parking lot speeds. Well yeah! It also sits up higher than a Wing and feels top heavy. So did my RT. However once you start moving. Oh Joy! In my opinion, we are so, so lucky to have so many good choices as to what to ride. Test rides are available for many of the bikes so go test ride. Then get the one that gives you that bug eating grin. Fine tune it to your riding style and there you go. And have fun looking. But that's just how I see it and I'm usually wrong at least once a day and this could be it:grin:.

#12 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Once you get the right windshield, seat and farkles set up on the RT you'll be hard pressed to find anything that will offer a better non-turbulent ride. In my beemer absence I also tried a Goldwing. I found the engine to be super smooth, but was not impressed with the suspension and the fun factor on it was non-exhilarating to say the least.

J

#15 ·
J I'm 64, 5'8" so weight matters. I was attracted to the RT given the lower weight and wider fairing.
At 5'8" I can't imagine why you would need to change anything on a modern wethead. The stock screen will be perfect for controlled wind to the upper body--you will have ample quietness plus when you lower it you will get enough air flow to manage most hot weather conditions. The RTW is the quintessential all-arounder: nimble in the twisties, ample power, and ample comfort on the interstate. I bought mine new and immediately put 10K miles on it in under a month in all kinds of pavement, downpours, temps to 112F for 3, count em' 3 hours and total pleasure was the name of the game. The acid test for wind performance: the entire way across Minnesota we had STIFF x-winds, to the tune of 30-45mph, and that's stiff, especially when you're crossing an overpass edge walls. Oy! It seems many people here like to 'dress up the doll' with all sorts of mods. I found no need for anything but grip pups and a side-stand foot enlarger. I still use the stock seat, and I have over 40K miles on the bike now. I'm 6'4" tall, 66y/o and ordered mine w/ the tall seat, and it's set in the high position. No need for foot peg lowering kits. I find the stock seat just fine--but I make a practice on long rides to stop and get off the bike at not more than every 2h which is often also an op to take a whiz or have a beverage, snack, or fuel up. You have seating options available for shorter legs, mine are at 34-35" inseam. My RT gets right a 49mpg on premium fuel. After using 4 different tires I have found Continental RoadAttack 3GT to be the clear winner.

Good luck!

#17 ·
I have a 2014 R1200RT (live in Golden, CO) and I find with the adjustable stock windscreen and fairing I get very good quiet air and usually ride with my full face helmet visor in the up position. It is not totally air circulation free though, and I like that. If you lean more towards totally still air I would go with an Vstream windscreen of the appropriate height. BTW I'm 6' tall. Interestingly, I have put my RT up for sale a few days ago as I usually change bikes every 3 or 4 years. Its listed on craigslist, ebony color.

#18 ·
I GOTCHA COVER:

If you get a Werks, Quiet Ride windshield, and the Winglets for the fairing from Aeroflow...and if you wanna even more check this creation:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/181507-wind-deflector.html

You can get the files from him if you ask for a minimal fee, but the 3D printing may cost a lot.

But with the Werk/Winglets and the OEM superb protection of the RT, you 'll be in the best touring bike.

Seat: the Russell Day long if you are a tall dude, the Sargent if not

#19 ·
I made the jump from a 2016 Harley RoadGlide to a 2019 RT last December. The Harley was much quieter in the cockpit. At highway speeds you hardly hear the louder engine of the Harley, but the air noise on the RT is significantly louder than on the RoadGlide. If I raise the windscreen about 3/4 way up, it helps, but it still seems louder to me. But, that's a small price to pay for all the other benefits of the Beemer.

#25 ·
I recommend BMW's Comfort shield. It's pricey but effective, especially in winter. I tried the curved-top QR for 1000 mi (as seen in my avatar) but found its optical distortion distracting, even though I rarely need to look directly through the distortion. Not bashing it -- any curve-top design is a trade-off of wind control and optical clarity.

#26 ·
Hello and welcome. What tire pressure do you have in the front and rear? I have a 2007 K1200LT and just had Metzler M888 tires installed by my local dealer and the bike was returned with a wobble. Increasing the tire pressure solved the problem. Front=42, rear=48. This bike always needed a lot of air in front tire because of the weight of the bike. I ride aggressive (twisty roads) with friends with much
lighter 2018 RT and 1200 GS bikes.

#27 ·
I have not ridden an RT any distance so I can’t comment on that. However, the RT is the bike I plan to test ride next as a possible successor to my LT.

I have ridden the GTL for 5,000+ miles and I agree that it moves around more behind trucks than does my LT. I am not sure how much of that is aerodynamics and now much is weight and suspension geometry. The GTL is a much lighter bike than my LT and is more responsive with quicker steering. I suspect this is also why it is busier in the dirty are behind a truck.

I rode the new Wing for 120+ miles when it first came out and it has a quiet cockpit, at least as good as my LT and it was at least as stable as the LT on the highway. It is also about as heavy as the LT and has slower steering than the GTL so again that is likely why it is more stable on the interstate.

The Wing carries its weight very well so that is likely not a problem for you. If you are a solo tourer, the new Wing is a strong candidate. I tour mostly two-up so the Wing just does not work for me. Too little storage and too little fuel capacity.

However, if you travel mostly on interstates, I don’t think you will find a bike better than the Wing. I personally work hard to avoid interstates so bikes like the RT or even K1600 aren’t really a problem for me from a stability perspective. There are other reasons I don’t care for the K1600 and I am hoping the RT doesn’t share those issues.

#28 ·
I came from a HD StreetGlide with a Tall windshield (same as an Ultra) and I can tell you the RT cockpit is much quieter than the HD. I ride two up quite often and the wife loves the RT. I'll never go back

Reactions: Hfjeff
#29 ·
Just to close the loop, in January 2020 I bought a 2019 RT with a top case and traded in the B. Due to winter I've been limited in how many miles I've put on but managed >1,000. No regrets at all. I love the way the bike handles, how quiet the cockpit is and riding comfort.
I've added several mods for comfort and protection.

Ilium bar backs
Ilium crash bars front and back.
Werks headlight shield
grip puppies
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs - very adjustable. Tried the Ilium pegs but they were too high for comfort

I've got a production date for an RDL seat. Once I get that baby I'll probably look at a Werks windshield but pretty happy with the stock.

#32 ·
Get the Werks windshield after you use the stock for a while so you can appreciate just how quiet and amazing it is. Terry is great to deal with, the fit and finish are perfect, and the price is right. Easy and affordable mod that makes a huge difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.