BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Wiring lights questions 2018 R1200 RT

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  GRide 
#1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know?

1. Location and wire color to tap for front turn signals ?

2. Exact location and description of the GPS/ NAV power plug ? I need that to plug in a switched plug adapter I purchased from Denali. I’ve looked many places under the Tupperware as well as web and forum searches.

Had the selling dealer wire Clearwater Darla running and Billie tail lights. Am now doing my own work and having fun doing this therapeutic tinkering.

From the knowledge this community has generously shared, so far I have:

- Completed and working wiring: Denali Sound Bomb Horn, Denali Powerhub 2, SAE charging port, , USB charging ports,
- 90% complete with Admore LED light strip tail, brake, turn lights on side cases . Still needs switched 12V
- 65% complete with Schroedie side badge marker light/ turn signals

Most appreciatively, Gregory

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't think you've done anything wrong, it's just that front turn signal changes are quite rare so it's likely very few people know the answer to your question. Especially since most people using Clearwater or Denali accessories in BMW world are using the Can Opener or CanSmart and not wiring directly to power. I know you got responses in another forum and the people who know the answers are probably also aware that you posted there.

For the rear of the bike I can help - I just wired a set of Skene tail/brake and separate yellow turn signals into my top case so I found the right and left turn signal wires along with switched power under the seat. But I have no idea what's happening up front.

Good luck.

Reactions: PatM55
#4 ·
If you look behind the speakers you can easily find the plugs for the front turn signals. Unplug them and you can find the color of the wires. Better yet, call Clearwater Lights and order a set of Betsy’s modified to work on the RT. The wires for the Schroeder’s come with the Betsy’s just route them to the side panels and you are done. The added benefit is the Betsy’s turn your front turn signals into running lights. Not the best picture but the RT is on the right with Betsy’s installed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I added a non-CANBUS Denali aux. fuse block.
For the relay signal wire, I tapped into the left headlight ring circuit as I did not want it to stay on for the extra 30 seconds using the power outlet for feed.
I don't remember the wire color. I had to get a long way in under the tupperware to find it, then verified the wire color pattern from the wiring diagram before I Posi-tapped it.
Works a treat.

#7 ·
As per Deserttan, Got the Betsy’s and installed them. They also drove the roundel side lights. I pulled a switched hot off the gps/ nav plug I found logically positioned behind the unit under the top Tupperware panel under the windscreen.

I’m really happy with all and thank you for sharing your experience.

Gregory

#9 ·
Got the 2 color Schroedies. White color as a side running light, turns to Amber in turn or hazard mode. They seem bright, high quality, true to color, discrete, could easily pass as OEM. I sometimes ride/ work as a Moto Referee in bicycle races so appreciate that if I am alongside racers, they can see me flashing. Or the car beside that should see me but doesn’t and wants to merge into the lane space I am occupying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.