BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Replacement Battery

13K views 77 replies 34 participants last post by  Stiggy 
#1 ·
2015 r1200 RT. Battery is taking longer to recharge overnight. Time to replace. Any recommendations on a brand. Along with standard equipment (heated seats and grips), added a Denali horn and connections for heated gear. No extra lights.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
For me I like to keep things simple and just got a BMW Battery. Mine died when I was on the road and had it replaced at Max BMW. The BMW batteries now have a 2 year full replacement warranty. It was easy and I've always had good luck with BMW batteries.

Reactions: jeffdean
#11 ·
Thank you for affirming why I chose to replace the battery at 3y regardless of its condition, which was still good when I installed a new BMW battery at the 3y/o mark. No battery tenders here as I am able to ride nearly daily half the year and the colder half I am riding at least once a week.

#5 ·
I recently replaced my 2015 RT 4 y.o. OEM battery with another OEM battery.
I did some research hoping to find a better cheaper replacement but soon tired of looking at LxWxH measurements, AH rating, positioning of terminals etc.
Took the safe (& expensive) option - another OEM.

Ian

#6 · (Edited)
Just replaced the one on my '15 RT a little more than a month ago. It was a preemptive replacement, since the original battery was still in excellent condition. I went with a Yuasa GYZ16H, and paid around $85: https://www.walmart.com/ip/YUASA-GYZ16H-FACTORY-ACTIVATED-MAINTENANCE-FREE/129243723

This battery will fit in the battery compartment perfectly, even if it is not as tall as the original battery by almost 1". It has a higher power rating than the stock Exide battery, at 240 CCA vs. 220 CCA for the Exide, but I am going on memory for the Exide number.

IF you (or anyone else) decide to go with this battery, I have a hint regarding installation, that will make life very easy for you! The hint has to do with the connections to the Yuasa battery terminals. On the stock Exide battery, you will find that the connections are bolted directly into a tap hole in each terminal. The Yuasa battery has a "hollow" terminal, and you are provided with a pair of nuts, bolts, and washers. The nut is supposed to go inside of the hollow terminal, and you have to hold it up against the top inside surface of the terminal while screwing the bolt into the nut through the clearance hole. Much easier said than done, with the extremely limited space and thick finger! Here is the hint. Take a strip of paper and fold it up to make a flexible spacer that you place under the nut, to hold it in place against the inside top surface of the terminal. Now, you will have both hands free to hold the short bolt and the power lead, while screwing the end of the bolt into the nut! Worked perfectly!

PS: if you go on Yuasa web site and do a search based on bike make/model/year, you will find that Yuasa will recommend 3 batteries option for our bike. The lowest rated option has the same electrical specification as our stock Exide battery, while the option that I went for has the higher CCA rating, and is delivered fully charged from the factory. The 3rd option is with a model that is physically and electrically the same as the one that I picked, but it comes with an acid pack that you need to put into the battery, and then charge the battery yourself. The last option will give you the "freshest" battery possible!

Reactions: wArt
#7 ·
I had to chuckle as I do much the same on all of my Yuasa batteries and have done so since the 70s. I use a small roll of electrical tape instead of paper as it lasts longer when riding in the rain. I wrap it inside out around a large nail or pencil and usually 3-4 wraps will do. Then work it under the nut and the adhesive on the inside out tape will hold the roll in place and the nut in place also. A pencil makes a somewhat too large roll so sometimes you need to squish the roll into a U shape to get it stuck into the terminal under the nut. I am not sure why Yuasa persists in using this design as it is a PITA.

#14 ·
#17 ·
I replaced my OEM battery in 2013 with this one:

$75 CDN including shipping...

After 6 years, I was thinking of replacing it.

I did the following test on it:
* charge the battery
* remove the charger and let the battery sit over night
* bleed off surface charge by running the high beams for a few minutes
* turn off high beams and test the voltage with a good voltmeter.

It still tests over 13V. :smile:

It spent last winter in my non heated garage where the temp gets below freezing.

I always keep in on a tender.

It is not sold as a motorcycle battery, but it fits almost perfectly in the bike. I only had to put a 1/4 in. rubber pad underneath to raise it a little.

When the time comes for a replacement, I'll get the same one again.

YMMV

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi Daniel - the OP has a wethead RT, and I am assuming that you are talking about your '07 RT, so your battery wouldn't fit. BTW, with the wethead RTs, the battery compartment and the clamp system is such that one doesn't have to do any modification at all to fit a battery that is about 1" shorter than stock. Just need to make sure that the length and width is correct.

#22 ·
On our summer ride out West during the last week of July my '17 RT was hesitating before cranking over. I always have it on a tender. We were having lunch in Del Rio, Texas and about to hit a stretch of a couple of hundred miles before seeing another mid-size town (Alpine, Texas). We were right next to a WalMart so I decided to just not chance getting stranded so I bought an AGM battery for about $70 with CCA 220 which was the right size except for an inch shorter. Changed it right there at Rudy's BBQ by the Walmart in about 20 minutes. Few thousand miles later and no problems!

#24 ·
I just bought a replacement for my 07. [yes, I'm doing some work on it] The one in the bike is 5 years old and just gave up to ghost. See photo. BMW Exide.

I keep my 15 on a trickle charger when it's parked 99% of the time.

The chargers I use are CTEK's. My suspicion is they're about as good as they come. Not cheap but I believe worth it.

Attachments

#27 ·
I love my CTEK. I’m not sure how old my ‘14’s battery is, but I added a pigtail to it when I acquired the bike in ‘17 and swear that a GOOD battery tender is worth every penny. The battery is still maintaining adequate voltage...

Reactions: feisty
#25 ·
The ebay cheapie battery (TPR rated at 170 cca) that came with my bike died recently. I went looking for another. The motobatts I have in my other boxers aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be. So I picked up a fullriver hc20. This is not a common brand in Oz but I have only heard good things about them and they come with a 2 year warranty. They don't seem to get mentioned much on Boxer forums.

It arrived today and is rated at 230cca. I know this is a minimum and was interested to see what it actually was. I was blown away to see it come up at 405cca. Just checked the battery build date. Week 18 of 2019 early may. So when I put this in it was only 2 months old. I'm pretty happy about that. Hasn't been sitting on a shelf for years.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

#29 ·
My 2016 is cranking slowly, especially after sitting a week or 2 between rides. Still on the original battery (ordered in late 2015) so it is time. However I am a couple weeks from hibernation and will wait until spring. I have always had good luck with Yuasa batteries in snowmobiles but out of curiosity, how much is an OEM battery from BMW? The ones from Impact also look to be a good replacement.

#30 ·
The battery in my 2016 started cranking very weak last summer while at Americade so I had it replaced at Max BMW. The BMW battery was $176 and 2 year replacement warranty. I have always been happy with BMW batteries. I know others have save a few bucks buying others brands.

#33 · (Edited)
Was riding with a group this past weekend in the NC Mountains and one of the guys had a battery issue. Another in the group suggested him getting a motobatt for his GS. That was the first I had heard of motobatt but the person suggesting motobatt spoke well of them. I personally have never used them but his recommendation certainly raised my awareness.

I just checked and looks like the Motobatt is $131 for the RT and has a one year replacement warranty. The BMW Battery as a 2 year warranty. For the extra $40 and 2 year warranty I'd probably still give the business to my local dealer if possible. But certainly Motobatt is another good option.

#34 ·
Never had any luck on Moto Batteries. I ran two that were raved about and they are expensive and lasted like 3 years.

A Yuasa battery is one of 2 or 3 that make their own battery's. Every other is manufactured by a battery company and a label put on to match specs and brand. They manufacture right down the road in Reading PA.

BMW is not making battery's. A 2 year battery guarantee is easily meet, maybe not written, but very easy to meet on any battery in this day and age.

These went up since I last looked they are 98.90 on Amazon for a 12 volt, 16 ampere-hour, 240 cold cranking amps, high performance sealed maintenance-free battery and made in the USA.

With Prime you have it in a day.

GYZ16H Battery Link

#36 ·
And I am sure you realize the BMW Battery is made by Yuasa. (as are the vast majority of batteries)

So it appears that much like oil there are a few options for batteries that are made to fit the R1200 BMW's so whatever works for you should get you down the road.

I have been riding BMW's since 2000 and have always used BMW batteries primarily because it is just easier to get to my dealer (or a dealer on the road) when I need it "now". In all these years and batteries on 3 bikes I have gotten anywhere from 3 years to 6 years life out of a battery. My bikes are always on a Battery Tender when not on the road. I feel if I get 3 years out of a motorcycle battery it owes me nothing.

If I had the luxury of being able to order a battery online or find a place selling an aftermarket such as MotoBatt I probably would do that but am happy getting the battery immediately and giving the business to a local dealer.

#38 ·
And I am sure you realize the BMW Battery is made by Yuasa. (as are the vast majority of batteries)

So it appears that much like oil there are a few options for batteries that are made to fit the R1200 BMW's so whatever works for you should get you down the road.

I have been riding BMW's since 2000 and have always used BMW batteries primarily because it is just easier to get to my dealer (or a dealer on the road) when I need it "now". In all these years and batteries on 3 bikes I have gotten anywhere from 3 years to 6 years life out of a battery. My bikes are always on a Battery Tender when not on the road. I feel if I get 3 years out of a motorcycle battery it owes me nothing.

If I had the luxury of being able to order a battery online or find a place selling an aftermarket such as MotoBatt I probably would do that but am happy getting the battery immediately and giving the business to a local dealer.
Yes I knew BMW was a Yuasa.

It is nice you support your dealer. Someone has to as we all know.

I just have used Yuasa for as long as I can remember and consider them the battery of choice. Not sure why or when I started using them but it must have came as OEM on one bike or another.

As you said they are all going to get you down the road.

It used to be I changed batterys out in 5 years no matter what. Now 3 years seems like a safe bet if your away from home a lot.

#37 ·
So far my odyssey battery is going strong after 5 plus years.
I do the occasional deep cycle as recommended and my battery still shows between a 90 to 94 percent capacity. I do carry a Noco battery power boost just in case.

#41 ·
Yes I noticed this also.

The bookmark on Amazon keeps showing higher price as I check on it. It started at like 116 bucks now 148 for a GYZ16H

I am just going to wait until spring and bite the bullet.

Not sure why they are going up when people are traveling less. Unless not driving is ruining a lot of batteries and they feel they have a lock on the market?

Or maybe Covid is somehow messing with supplies? Not sure but they are killing us as consumers with the excuse of Covid. While I beleive it does cause us issues I also think it is a excuse to gouge us by companies that are less then honest.

Reactions: Hfjeff
#42 ·
#44 · (Edited)
May have to go with something else this year. I have not had great luck with Batteries Plus batteries over the years in mopeds and such.

But they also carry this Duracell that comes with a 24 month replacement warranty. Plus 10% off if you buy online and pickup in store.

Also found the Yuasa at Summit Racing for $106.99 with an estimated delivery of 3/19/21. Must be having production issues.

Reactions: LAF
#45 ·
I've only got one year on my 97 RT battery. But my experience with batteries has generally been excellent. 11 years on the OEM Del Sol battery, 9 years on the OEM Sienna battery, 6 years on a Dodge colt battery. And probably 5years on a Honda Pacific Coast battery. So with the fact that I drive a lot and ride a lot, I would be disappointed with less than 4 years on the RT battery. Had the bike for only about 18 months now and love it. Coming from a Pacific Coast motorcycle, I would have liked the engine to be smoother. (It never will be.)