BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

What Top Box? 2016 R1200RT

10K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  wichitagreg 
#1 ·
Wow, just Wow.

Trying to add a trunk, top case, or top box to my '16 RT in Ebony Metallic (Burgandy?)

Someone told me any BMW top case from 05 on should fit without an adapter. Okay. Can't afford that solution.

Givi has a huge selection, and the adapter is about $180. Cases run from $320 or so on up. I think I can handle $500, but the pad is extra? Sheesh.

Chad not so much. And I can't find any that are color matched. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Are there other solutions to add a complimentary looking trunk to my RT?

#5 ·
and once you find one an alternative to painting it is having it wrapped. A buddy had a 49 liter BMW case wrapped to match his '18 RT for about $200.

#8 ·
Trying to add a trunk, top case, or top box to my '16 RT in Ebony Metallic (Burgandy?)

Someone told me any BMW top case from 05 on should fit without an adapter. Okay. Can't afford that solution.
I ported the 28L BMW top box from my former F800GT to my new '16 RT. Are you 1-up riding primarily or exclusively? If so you may find 28L ample. The 28L was fine for my 10K mile x-country and back trip in 2016, and other shorter trips. I think the 49L model is too big, bulky, aerodynamically worse and is unnecessary if you're solo riding. This being said, I don't camp. If I did I'd pick up a passenger seat bag. I leave the side cases off unless doing multi-day rides, and the 28L is more than adequate for carrying my compressor and small box of tools etc, and there is room for a small load of groceries etc.

#9 · (Edited)
Here you go. For a black 49 liter, with lock and shipping I paid $550. The case was delivered just 7 days after ordering. The price shown is with 19% VAT, but it will be taken off at checkout. I also just today got a C3 Pro from Chromeburner, total cost delivered was about $350. A strong US dollar against the euro, coupled with cheaper prices in general and it's easy to get carried away.

Don't forget to order the codeable lock.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-top-case-49-liter-r1200rt-sapphire-black.html

https://www.chromeburner.com/helmets/modular-helmets/schuberth-c3-pro-matte-black

#10 ·
Maybe that 49 liter was on sale. I check some other items and not that big of price difference from the US dealers.

#11 · (Edited)
I logged in, then ran these through my cart but didn't hit buy.

This comes to $950 delivered to the US. Take off 19%, then add $43 shipping. Fully loaded 49 liter.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-topcase-k1600gt-2011-2016-k48-vermillion-red-metallic.html

Take off 19% VAT and this comes to $340 shipped with lock. It will be here next week. Old style 28 liter.

https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.co...nner-space-for-different-bmw-motorcycles.html

How about a TourShell for $434?
https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/bmw-tourshell-motorcycle-jacket-men-black-2017.html

#15 ·
I've always been a fan of the Givi boxes. So, when I got the 2015, I went the Givi route again. This time, rather than getting the plastic mounting plate, which is a bit cheaper, I went with the aluminum rack - sturdier and much more attractive than the plain, black rack when you're riding without the box.

For the box itself, I went with the 56L "Maxia" 4. Very spacious and looks pretty nice. You can get a light kit for it as well, as you most likely already knew!

The mount and box ran me about $575 all told, so certainly not cheap, but nowhere near the price that BMW is asking for their 49L boxes.

Attachments

Reactions: Dann323
#19 ·
After a lot of research I went with the GIVI V47 and aluminum mounting plate. Ordered them from Motocard in Spain? $385 USD out the door.
Plate is quality and bolted right on. My box is matte black and I think it looks great. Later I installed admore light kit. I’m very happy with the results!

Attachments

#20 ·

Attachments

#32 ·
If you go to a place that does wraps they have color samples with literally 100's if not 1000's of colors. Best to take the bike or a side case in and match it up. But there are no "kits" to the best of my knowledge.

I recently saw on one of the sites (heck maybe this site) where a guy had done his own wrap of his entire bike! It looked great! and total for the whole bike for material was less than $150 I believe.

#35 ·
greg:

Look on ebay and amazon for used ones. They pop up now and then. I like the BMW stuff. I have the small BMW top case...and yes, I had an '05 and it fits on my '17 RT. The big top case is great if you have a passenger or carry a lot of stuff.

Put the light stuff up there and the heavy stuff in the side bags.

The thing I don't like about the big case is that crosswinds really change the game with a big sail like that high up on the back. I leave my small top case on with bags off. It's big enough to put a helmet and some stuff inside the helmet and around. OK for errands etc. When travelling, I put my laptop in there, extra gloves and rags and water. Tools, clothes, packed in bag liners and rain gear go downstairs.

:smile:

#39 ·
So far I have been unable to get the lock tumbler apart. I find on the Internet that one need not dissamble the who top box, and if you do, it won't help get the lock apart.

Paper Clip doesn't work, or I do not have the touch.

Tiny allen wrench is strong enough but still I do not have the touch.

I have a drill.

I will seek help from a lock smith tomorrow. The dealership told me they will have to disassemble the box and it is a several hour job.

#40 ·
Mine came with 2 keys so I never rekeyed it for my own key. I rarely lock it so that works for me, but having to disassemble the entire box does not sound right. Did it come with a key? I believe having the key is important to being able to rekey.

#43 ·
When you get the old core out, rekeying it is extremely easy, but you must follow the instruction carefully. You might be able to get away with having to buy a new core to be rekeyed. If you are lucky, the existing tumblers in the existing core can be re-positioned to match your key. If you find that you need a new tumbler that is not in the old core, then you should go to your dealer's service department and ask if they could give you what you need. They should have plenty of "extra" on hands, because when you buy a new core, it will come with more than enough tumblers for any one key, and so a few is left over after installation. Typically, the service department will save those extra tumblers rather than throwing them away! Or one of us, who also saved those extra tumblers, can give you the one you need! :)

#44 ·
I talked to Jeff at Gateway BMW about this very topic a few weeks ago. There are several BMW top cases for sale but the sellers don't have a key. They seem to think it's easy to rekey, or they know it's not and are sneaky about it.

Anyway, Jeff said that without the key, Shannon can usually get the lock cylinder out in about 20 minutes. If you're a good customer they might not charge you but Joe Smo off the street is looking at 1/2 hour shop time.

If you do manage to get the old lock out, you can file down the pins to match your current key. The only catch is if you end up filing them all down, any BMW key can open the box. If you do file them down, don't file down the locking pin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.