• 2 Post By PatM55
  • 2 Post By GSinNC
  • 1 Post By GSinNC
  • 1 Post By John Brock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Aug 11th, 2019, 7:27 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Horribly-aligned Panel, Part II

I talked about how the lower-right panel on the wethead RT has issues and a possible solution to it in another thread and this is an update to that...

So the method I used originally didn't work- the velcro on the knee panel came off of the lower panel, thereby rendering the whole thing useless.

I was in the garage, charging the battery and reacquainting myself with the MotoScan app, and I decided to revisit this problem. The bushing in the knee panel was already out, so I aligned the nipple to the hole and secured the lower screw. Wow- the hole in the panel and the threads in the bike frame for that top-rear screw are nowhere near being aligned! I've had others talk about using grease to hold the nipple in the bushing, but as you can see from the picture, no amount of grease will help.

So this time I applied velcro to the frame near the threads and to the backside of the panel near the hole to secure that section. I put the bushing back into place and pushed the nipple through it. Finally, I secured the bottom of the panel with the screw. Let's see if this works.

But seeing how far all of this is out of alignment makes me think about pitching a fit with BMW directly. I mean, the alignment is NOWHERE NEAR where it should be.

BTW, look at the new RTs and how BMW is now using a screw in that spot instead of the nipple/bushing. Not sure why they didn't do this the first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190811_174045.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	153933  

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Aug 11th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Re: Horribly-aligned Panel, Part II

Some of the nuts are adjustable ... I've had the same issue on my RT and was able to move the nut to better align with the hole. Check to make sure this isn't one of those.
N00bie RT Gawd likes this.

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
post #3 of 30 Old Aug 11th, 2019, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRider View Post
Some of the nuts are adjustable ... I've had the same issue on my RT and was able to move the nut to better align with the hole. Check to make sure this isn't one of those.
I'll definitely take a look later on, but not holding out hope. But since you've mentioned it, I wonder if they welded that plate in the wrong orientation.

I thought about what it would take to fix it myself- I'd have to fill in the hole in the plate where the threads are, relocate and drill a new hole and then tap it.

post #4 of 30 Old Aug 11th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Garage

I took your first thread on this subject and set out to see what I could do on my '15, with the same problem as yours. I quickly noticed the mis-aligned hole at the rear. I added a Velcro strip on the "shelf" above the peg, then took a Dremel to the mis-aligned hole in the panel. (Take a look at the lower hole - it is slotted!). I re-shaped that upper hole into a slot. It's still not a perfect alignment, but it's much better. I then re-installed the panel with the Velcro and the re-shaped hole. Seems to be holding -- after a couple of weeks. We'll see how it holds after my next visit to the dealer.

I wondered why BMW didn't use a screw instead of a peg, and wished there was a way to retro fit it.

Oh, as far as I could see, there's no way to move the nut. I believe it's welded in (mis)place on the frame.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #5 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 12:43 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBiker View Post
I took your first thread on this subject and set out to see what I could do on my '15, with the same problem as yours. I quickly noticed the mis-aligned hole at the rear. I added a Velcro strip on the "shelf" above the peg, then took a Dremel to the mis-aligned hole in the panel. (Take a look at the lower hole - it is slotted!). I re-shaped that upper hole into a slot. It's still not a perfect alignment, but it's much better. I then re-installed the panel with the Velcro and the re-shaped hole. Seems to be holding -- after a couple of weeks. We'll see how it holds after my next visit to the dealer.

I wondered why BMW didn't use a screw instead of a peg, and wished there was a way to retro fit it.

Oh, as far as I could see, there's no way to move the nut. I believe it's welded in (mis)place on the frame.
Like I said, they are using screws now, though little good it does for us.

I don't know if I can slot that hole like you did yours- mine is way off the mark. I think Velcro here for me is going to work nicely.

I was thinking I could use some JB Weld putty to fill-in the original threads and just drill and tap a new hole. Shouldn't be an issue since this isn't a critical part, but it's still more work than just using Velcro, right?

But if this also fails then that's what'll have to be.

post #6 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 6:46 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

So if the panel fit to begin with what has changed?

I mean on our GS/GSA we have deformed gas tanks making the top tank pieces bulge and not align but I have not seen this one before. As said those little nut/clamp things can turn and fit a bit different when that is done so make sure that it in correctly.

I never had one issue with fit of panels anywhere on my RT. I learned the tab trick early on and had no issues taking them off or putting them on. And those little panes never gave me an issue other then the rubber grommet falling out when trying to install the panel and align it to get the screw in.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
I talked about how the lower-right panel on the wethead RT has issues and a possible solution to it in another thread and this is an update to that...

So the method I used originally didn't work- the velcro on the knee panel came off of the lower panel, thereby rendering the whole thing useless.

I was in the garage, charging the battery and reacquainting myself with the MotoScan app, and I decided to revisit this problem. The bushing in the knee panel was already out, so I aligned the nipple to the hole and secured the lower screw. Wow- the hole in the panel and the threads in the bike frame for that top-rear screw are nowhere near being aligned! I've had others talk about using grease to hold the nipple in the bushing, but as you can see from the picture, no amount of grease will help.

So this time I applied velcro to the frame near the threads and to the backside of the panel near the hole to secure that section. I put the bushing back into place and pushed the nipple through it. Finally, I secured the bottom of the panel with the screw. Let's see if this works.

But seeing how far all of this is out of alignment makes me think about pitching a fit with BMW directly. I mean, the alignment is NOWHERE NEAR where it should be.

BTW, look at the new RTs and how BMW is now using a screw in that spot instead of the nipple/bushing. Not sure why they didn't do this the first time.
If it is truy that bad I would raise the issue with my dealer. Mine already replaced mine once for me. But what seems to work for ME is spraying a bit of hairspray on the grommet then inserting the nipple. THEN I tighten the screws just enough to be snug but not too tight. I even added a spacer on one so that it does not deform the panel when tightened. That seems to work for me.

I wonder if there is a way to retro fit the screwed in panel they are now using. I was not away the design changed. Anyone have a photo of the new panel?

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #8 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 9:58 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
If it is truy that bad I would raise the issue with my dealer. Mine already replaced mine once for me. But what seems to work for ME is spraying a bit of hairspray on the grommet then inserting the nipple. THEN I tighten the screws just enough to be snug but not too tight. I even added a spacer on one so that it does not deform the panel when tightened. That seems to work for me.

I wonder if there is a way to retro fit the screwed in panel they are now using. I was not away the design changed. Anyone have a photo of the new panel?
If you look closer at the (sideways!?!) picture in the first post, you can see that the hole and the threads are nowhere near one another. Because of that, the nipple will not stay in no matter.

Unfortunately, my dealer is kind of a dick about things and he'll probably not do a thing about it. There's Pandora's in Chattanooga, which I recently visited this past weekend, but it's not an easy ride to get there and I doubt if there's anything they could do.

post #9 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:00 am

Quote:

Sorry, you can't retrofit, the pannels have been redesigned because the exhaust pipe has been rerouted. It doesn't point forward like the pipes on the 1200 LC.

Ride safe!
post #10 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Garage

BTW guys and gals...I have taken the lower bracket and screw out of the equation. When the nipple is in the bushing, the top rear hole in the panel will not align to the nut on the bike (no not me- the nut with the threads the screw goes into!). When you look at the photo, you can barely even see the nut where the screw goes!

If I put that screw in, it will start to bow the middle of the panel outwards quite a bit, and the moment the panel is touched or just normal riding vibrations, it's going to pop-out.

post #11 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
Sorry, you can't retrofit, the pannels have been redesigned because the exhaust pipe has been rerouted. It doesn't point forward like the pipes on the 1200 LC.

Well that is the wrong side anyway. The panel in question is on the brake side and the lower panel.

Ed Apelian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 12:36 pm

It does look like they added a fastener in that location! Dang !!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-BMW-R1250RT4.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	153939  

Ed Apelian

post #13 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I think that fairing around the front of the engine would be the first thing ditched were I to buy a 1250. The audio system would be next, but then again, I wouldn't order one with it, seeing (hearing) how bad it is now. Doubtful they changed anything.

post #14 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Quote:
Well that is the wrong side anyway. The panel in question is on the brake side and the lower panel.
The intent was to show the pipes. Sorry that you're disappointed, next time I will let you do your own google search.
Scimitar and Pabst like this.

Ride safe!
post #15 of 30 Old Aug 12th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
The intent was to show the pipes. Sorry that you're disappointed, next time I will let you do your own google search.

Sorry ...did not mean to offend. I was more interested in the fastener being added. But I did so a search and posted above.

Thanks for your help.
Digtlartst and garr2 like this.

Ed Apelian

post #16 of 30 Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:19 pm

Body Panel update .... I was at my dealer today and did a lot of checking on the new 1250 panel with the screw added. Had the parts manager checking part #s too and it looks like there is a good chance the 1250 panel will fit the 1200RTW's. It looks the same the the panel it attached to above is the same part # as it did not change for the 1250. So if my current fix does not hold I may bite the bullet and get the new panel. That's the good news ... bad news is it's not cheap at about $350! Just passing along!
N00bie RT Gawd likes this.

Ed Apelian

post #17 of 30 Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Body Panel update .... I was at my dealer today and did a lot of checking on the new 1250 panel with the screw added. Had the parts manager checking part #s too and it looks like there is a good chance the 1250 panel will fit the 1200RTW's. It looks the same the the panel it attached to above is the same part # as it did not change for the 1250. So if my current fix does not hold I may bite the bullet and get the new panel. That's the good news ... bad news is it's not cheap at about $350! Just passing along!
The package of velcro I bought from WalMart was like $4.

My updated solution is holding fast after a few washings and about 1,100 miles.

post #18 of 30 Old Aug 24th, 2019, 5:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
The package of velcro I bought from WalMart was like $4.

My updated solution is holding fast after a few washings and about 1,100 miles.
Congrats! I am pretty sure my solution using a little hairspray works as well but will be testing it today on a 300 mile day. If it does then I am happy. But I really don't like "jerry rigging" stuff and am pretty anal about my bikes. If it does not I may try the new panel. But hoping for my no cost solution as well.

Ed Apelian

post #19 of 30 Old Aug 26th, 2019, 3:34 pm

I just finished putting my panels back on my '15 for the very first time and spent a ton of time trying to get the right side panel to stay. What a horrible design! On the left, they put a screw, could they not put a screw on the right?

I'm going to give the re-drill some thought, as well as the Velcro. The way this thing is, I doubt the panel will be attached on my 10 mile ride home tonight. I did adjust panels a few times, but like others pointed out, it bows outward and pops out of place.

grrrrrrr.
post #20 of 30 Old Aug 26th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
I just finished putting my panels back on my '15 for the very first time and spent a ton of time trying to get the right side panel to stay. What a horrible design! On the left, they put a screw, could they not put a screw on the right?

I'm going to give the re-drill some thought, as well as the Velcro. The way this thing is, I doubt the panel will be attached on my 10 mile ride home tonight. I did adjust panels a few times, but like others pointed out, it bows outward and pops out of place.

grrrrrrr.
You may want to try a nylon spacer on the screw attachment points to reduce the bowing out of the panel. And then what worked for me was hairspray on the grommet.

And I totally agree with you ... they opted to use ONE GROMMET on one panel! Really?? Obviously not a good idea as it is changed for 2019.

If you panel is REALLY REALLY bad you may want to have your dealer warranty it and replace it. My dealer did that for me ... but the replacement did the same so may be the attachment points not he bike are out or wack.

Ed Apelian

post #21 of 30 Old Aug 26th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I'm pretty sure that I read every post prior to this one, but I must confess, at the risk of displaying my considerable ignorance about stuff like this, I can't figure out which body panel you folks are talking about. Can someone give a part number or a photo pointing to this panel on the bike please?
post #22 of 30 Old Aug 26th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Dood View Post
I'm pretty sure that I read every post prior to this one, but I must confess, at the risk of displaying my considerable ignorance about stuff like this, I can't figure out which body panel you folks are talking about. Can someone give a part number or a photo pointing to this panel on the bike please?
I believe the part #46 63 8 533 565 Engine Spoiler

Ed Apelian

post #23 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 3:46 am

Thanks Ed.
post #24 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 11:14 am

Garage

I have a 2018 RT and the first time I took the panels off, I couldn't figure out all the subtleties, but there after and I've had them off a dozen times since, I've had no problems at all. Everything goes back together, wiggles into place, and stays secure. At one point I loosely assembled the panels to find their locations with the least stress, everything stettled in, then I tightened the array of screws engaged the rubber grommets, and no problem.

Did the design of some part change?
Did you get a deformed panel?

I don't get it.
post #25 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brock View Post
I have a 2018 RT and the first time I took the panels off, I couldn't figure out all the subtleties, but there after and I've had them off a dozen times since, I've had no problems at all. Everything goes back together, wiggles into place, and stays secure. At one point I loosely assembled the panels to find their locations with the least stress, everything stettled in, then I tightened the array of screws engaged the rubber grommets, and no problem.

I don't get it.
No design change but a common issue with some Pre-1250 RT's. It is only the one lower panel on the right (brake) side where the top from corner has a rubber grommet and not a fastener. Some guys never have an issue but I know for a fact it is pretty common based on posts I've seen and discussion with my dealer. You are luck and should play the lottery! For me my panel fits fine and using a little hair spray when reassembling it stays put nicely.

Ed Apelian

post #26 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Quote:

I don't get it.
So here is my misalignment. I used white grease to lube the grommet, pushed it all the way in and bent the lower hanger to align just fine. This hole is where the panels come together. Previously, I tried loosening all of the screws on the panel with the grommet, and shifting it forward. I may need to try again, but for now, I just used a zip tie, I was tired of messing with it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hole.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	154185  
post #27 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Garage

My guess is some additional panels are cattywompus.
Since panels connect to holes in other panels, you may need to loosen and perhaps remove more than the one.
If I remember right, I found the right radiator fan assembly housing wasn't properly seated and aligned. Mine was under tension when I removed it and not after wiggling it into a better position.
I didn't need to remove fuel tank panels, but just about everything else on that right side ended up off at one time or another and now it all fits together very well. I put a wee dab of silicone grease in the rubber grommet itself just to make it easier to slip in the knob on the outer panel.

Good luck to you
bandytales likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Quote:
So here is my misalignment. I used white grease to lube the grommet, pushed it all the way in and bent the lower hanger to align just fine. This hole is where the panels come together. Previously, I tried loosening all of the screws on the panel with the grommet, and shifting it forward. I may need to try again, but for now, I just used a zip tie, I was tired of messing with it.
Yes ... good photo! And when you put the fastener into that misaligned hole the grommet hole pops out. It is not an issue with the other panels that attach it .... my dealer's tech who is very good worked on mine and had the same issues. Just a poor ass design which BMW obviously realized as the 1250's now have a SS fastener in that spot!

Ed Apelian

post #29 of 30 Old Aug 27th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Garage

Quote:
This is about what my misalignment looked like. I turned the hole in the panel into a slot (like in the front lower hole). it doesn't take long with a small round file. So far, my panel has stayed fastened/stayed tight, including through the driving rain storm I rode through last Friday night.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #30 of 30 Old Aug 28th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Quote:
My guess is some additional panels are cattywompus.

+1

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in