BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1250 OWNERS, REPRESENT

7K views 82 replies 26 participants last post by  Sirby 
#1 ·
I have been wanting to hear from 1250 owners a 'howzit report':

any quirks? any happies? any regrets? if you traded a 1200 wethead, was it worth it?

In all honesty, I just wanna hear from owners, not from articles or tester reviews. Thank you

#2 ·
Love my Mars red 1250RT purchased March of this year. I previously owned a 2012 1200 RT before purchasing the 1250. I purchased with a matching color large Top case and Nav 6. The only thing added since new is handle bar risers and mirrors. Sorry I can’t really compare with the wet head. No problems whatsoever since purchasing the bike. Love the power, wet clutch, automatic hill start, dynamic auto spring suspension, pro shift, handling in the corners, beautiful balance with low speed riding, power luggage locks, keyless start. I had to get used to the fly by wire throttle that felt different from the 2012. The transmission gets a little clunky after engine has warmed up. Not clunky in a bad way but just not butter like when it starts out cold. I could have bought a brand new 2018 for $6k less. After test riding the 2018 and 2019 the same day, I decided to purchase the 1250. After approximately 2700 miles I have no regrets. Riding the 1250 always puts a smile on my face. If I had it to do over, I would buy the 1250RT again.

#3 ·
I second that!

I am looking for a replacement for my aging LT and the 1250 is currently at the top of this list. And is the only candidate I have yet to test ride as the shop had none on hand last summer when I test rode the K1600GTL and GA. So far, nothing has had what we (wife is part of the decision) want as compared to the LT. Sure, the newer bikes have the power advantage and fancy electronics (which is great until they break), but they just don’t have the comfort and weather protection of the LT. The Venture and new Wing came pretty close in the comfort and weather protection areas, but fell short in other key areas. The Venture has a seat and leg furnace know as an air-cooled V-twin. What were they smoking when they made that decision? And the Wing has tiny cases, a rock hard seat a laughable nav system, and a 5.5 gallon tank on an 1833cc bike. Really??

I know the 1250 won’t match the LT either comfort-wise, but my logic is that if I have to lose comfort and weather protection, I’d rather lose it on a bike that costs less, weighs less and is easier to work on (RT) rather than the complex K1600 or Wing.

I would be particularly interested to hear from any 1250 owners who previously owned an LT and can provide comparison and discuss any mods made to improve the comfort of the 1250, particularly for the pillion. I am pretty sure I can live with a stock RT, but my wife will likely not be happy coming from the LT.

Reactions: kbob12
#5 ·
Yes Riding two up for multiple 2 to 3 hour trips. No complaints from the rider and handling of the bike remains good even in twisty mountain roads. That’s another reason to like the Dynamic Auto spring suspension setting. Just set it and forget it.

#7 ·
Kind of off topic a little.... Doing a family camping trip (not on the bike) from San Diego up the coast.
Stopping in multiple places then ending at San Fran then cutting over to Yosemite.

We are currently up in Monterey, but on the travel up here the number of RTs have out numbered any other bikes that we have came across. I found it pretty interesting, 2nd most popular were GS bikes followed by the big Harley/Victory bikes.

Can confirm if driving in fog with your main beam not working, you are basically invisible on a RT lol Came across one around Big Sur this morning, talk about dangerous..

1200 or 1250 they are amazing popular bikes!!

#8 ·
Not to take this off track further, lol, but there are not many better roads for motorcycling than Hwy 1 of course, and I suspect some of those are rental bikes. This time of year a lot of folks fly out to San Fran and rent bikes to do the coast. I'm headed out there early September after school starts and the crowds thin out a bit.

Ok, back on track.. 1250 owners..

#9 ·
Hi all,:wave

First time poster here, long time lurker.

Currently have the new R1250RT with a little over 1000mi on it (Blue Planet Metallic, NAV VI). I sold the "old" bike, 2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue, NAV V) when I was getting ready for some more life transitions. I didn't want to get rid of the 2015 but glad I did because I'm really liking the little differences on the new ride.

If I still owned the '15, would I have upgraded from the 1200 to the 1250??
Yes....but that's me.

The engine is smoother to me thorough the rev range. Butt dyno feels like it has more low end and mid-range get up and go. Not that the old bike was lacking but the smile factor on new bike is a little bigger grin.

Suspension is just as smooth and less complicated than the previous. Given I'm 5'8" and 180 lbs, the settings are usually on the "min" setting or Auto when toting around cargo or another person. With the stock seat on the low setting my feet are both flat on the ground and secure, barely.

NAV IV, I don't remember there being a way to stream music/audio over blue tooth from a connected Android phone to the last version (NAV V). In the update you can select the input from stored MP3 or Bluetooth on the music player.

Everything else (quickshifter, hill start pro, dynamic brake control...) feels a bit more refined. :grin:

Gone but not forgotten
2015 BMW R1200RT
2015 BMW S1000R
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2011 Kawasaki Councours 14
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Harley Softail Night train
2005 Honda 919
2002 Honda VTX1300
1998 Yamaha V-Star 650

#10 · (Edited)
I guess I’m one of the guys you want to hear from. I had an 09 LT, which I loved until I did a two up trip of about 1000 miles. Fully loaded and two up I found the bike hard to Handle and scary at slow speed‘s. I traded that in on the 1600 GTL. Waymore power and 200 pounds of weight savings. When I approach the 30,000 km service and I found out how much money it was, I traded the bike bike or 13 RT. Of those three motorcycles the RT was the closest to my perfect bike. Not as smooth or as protective as the LT or GTL, but I loved the lighter handling and weight and was happier to return to the characteristics of a big twin. I just felt the power was a little lacking, especially two up.
I recently traded my 13 in on an R 1250 RT. Without a doubt, this is the perfect bike. Suspension is better, power is way nicer - all around I thoroughly enjoy my new motorcycle.

Hope this helps.

#11 ·
I guess I’m one of the guys you want to hear from you. I had an 09 LT, which I loved until I did a two up trip of about 1000 miles. Fully loaded and two up I found the bike hard to Handle and scary at slow speed‘s. I traded that in on the 1600 GTL. Waymore power and 200 pounds of weight savings. When I approach the 30,000 km service and I found out how much money it was, I traded the bike bike or 13 RT. Of those three motorcycles the RT was the closest to my perfect bike. Not as smooth or as protective as the LT or GTL, but I loved the lighter handling and weight and was happier to return to the characteristics of a big twin. I just felt the power was a little lacking, especially two up.
I recently traded my 13 in on an R 1250 RT. Without a doubt, this is the perfect bike. Suspension is better, power is way nicer - all around I thoroughly enjoy my new motorcycle.

Hope this helps.
I don’t find my LT hard to handle even fully loaded, but it is getting a little long in the tooth and its maintenance requirements are just a nuisance. So, I am looking for a replacement, but so far nothing I have ridden comes close to its overall comfort and capability. I have about 5,000 miles on three rental K1600GTLs (all in Europe or the UK) and it just doesn’t scratch our itch for a two-up touring machine. And, as you say, the maintenance is still pretty intense with the stupid oil drain plug system, need for a vacuum system to change coolant and the valve adjustments are just nuts to name a few things.

The RT will be a step down in comfort from the LT, but I think a step up in every other major way: performance, handling, weight, maintenance and reliability.

Have you made any modifications to your 1250 to increase its comfort? Do you still ride two-up often? My wife really likes the LT and has really disliked the GTL. She felt the GA would be acceptable, but I really like the simplicity and easy of maintenance of the RT the more I think about it. I am curious how your pillion finds the 1250 comfort-wise.

#12 ·
We have not ridden a long way two up. That having been said, my wife says that she finds the seat somewhat firm although that’s fine. She also finds it slides are a bit forward so she’s always pushing back a bit.

In comparison to the LT, she definitely found the LT more comfortable. However so far, the RT is fine, but she does think my 13 RT was better.

So far the only modification I made was to put the seat in the higher position to relax my legs a little more. I am considering suburban machinery lower rider pegs.

She was most unhappy on my GTL. Go figure

#13 ·
Pretty much the same here. I had a Russell seat made for my LT last winter and we rode to Alaska and back a couple months ago. We both round the Russell to slide us forward and we had to keep lifting up and repositioning rearward. The stock LT seat did not do that. My wife also said the GTL seat slide her forward against me and she also didn’t like that she sat so high above me. She is 5’9” and it put her way up into the slipstream even with the shield fully up. She hates the GTL.

We have not ridden a recent RT. The last we rode was in 2007 when we rode it and then rode the LT. At that point, it was the LT all the way. However, I suspect the 1250 is much improved so I need to test ride one. We rode pretty much every other touring bike contender last summer and none checked the boxes for us. New Wing, Venture, GTL, GA. None pulled us away from the LT.

#14 ·
I think I am the only person in the world to find his 1250 a disappointment so dont take too much notice, I traded up from a 2014 LC which I would have back in a flash.

I agree in terms of the power of the engine, low down much more grunt, mine is white and in my view looks wise is gorgeous.

My major gripe I have posted about before, I have done over 1700 miles now and the horrible rattle under acceleration isnt getting any better, I ride the bike every day now and it just 'grates' my nerves every time I pull away.

Two other concerns, I am not seeing any improvement as the motor loosens up in MPG I record my mileage carefully and I am getting nearly 3 MPG less over the 2014, I thought by now I would at least be equaling

The other is an annoying difference in the indicator behaviour, not sure if it is a fault but I dont recall my 2014 cancelling its indicators whilst sitting at traffic lights, its caught me out a few times especially when turning right (UK) and drivers are not expecting you to stop. Also they seem to cancel sometimes on the move after only a few seconds. Find myself checking my indicators rather then looking at the road, dangerous.

As I said dont take too much notice as I havent read any real poor reviews from anywhere else, I just cant seem to love my bike and plan to sell next year, would now but I invested a lot of money in the bike and would lose a great deal if I did

#15 ·
Voyager- here's your opportunity. Buy this one, do a European tour with it, then have it shipped home. :)

#18 ·
I am a 16-1200RT owner.
For long distance comfort, I found the following upgrades satisfied my needs:
>RDL Seat
>Illium Engine guards, with added Hwy Pegs
>Lazy Rider bag, strapped to pass seat, providing back support
>Heli Bar Backs

#19 ·
3 of 4 sound good. I don’t think my wife would share her seat with a Lazy Rider bag. :surprise:

Do you find the stock windshield to provide adequate wind and rain protection?

#21 ·
Re: Do you find the stock windshield to provide adequate wind and rain protection?

I removed stock shield early on for a Cee Bailey Sport Shield. I run it all the time, as it satisfies my riding needs. I got caught in a downpour last week and discovered my helmet had more issues than my windshield ! And discovered, short of rain pants, nothing will keep your inner thighs dry !

#24 ·
How are the mirrors attached on the 1250?

I just watched a Chris Harris video on mirror removal and installation on the R1100/1150 and they look a lot like my LT mirrors, which have been a major PITA over the years both having broken and been repaired and either that stays on like they should. I never though about the RT having the same problem until seeing Chris’ video this morning. Although, it did sound from his description as though the mirror sockets were a different design than the LT, but he didn’t show a close-up in the video so I could get a good look.

So, any owners of late model RTs had any issues with mirrors popping off while riding? Are the 1250 mirrors attached the same way as the 1100/1150s were?

#26 ·
V:

I have a '17 RTL. Mirrors stay on.

:)

Reactions: Voyager
#25 ·
I had an 09 LT and a couple of times the mirrors fell off. I had a 13 RT, never with a problem. My current 1250 RT I have not had an issue.

Reactions: Voyager
#28 ·
Voyager, 2014 Wing Owner. RE your new wing comments. All true, but the complaints about the seat and nav have existed since they 1st installed navigation in 2008. Saddle bags are a joke but corbin has come out with new saddlebag covers that add an extra 10 liters for $963! Honda claims 45MPG with the new engine so range will be the same as the older ones. I won't ever buy one with the horrible bags and trunk and I always use my Garmin Nuvi 1300 for Nav. If the Nuvi dies I can get another basic Garmin for less that $100.

#29 ·
I have to agree with you here in all accounts and add: Max from traxxion found flaws in their new fork suspension (ala K16) that entails another 2k to fix. They have had suspension inadequacies since the 1800 came on line. I personally spent 1500 bucks twice to fix the 2 Wings front end I owned...never again!

The RT is my bike of choice...I am hoping for a transition to the 1250 to be trouble free.

It aint like the BMW bikes are from an Immaculate Conception Manufacturing...the first wetheads were benched on schok problems, my 09 and the fuel strip hassles go way back, and dont get me started on the K16 that stranded me...

I am just being careful and thoughtful about dumping my perfectly good running 2018 in search of an improvement that may not be after all.

No, I dont have faith on Corporate entities including any of the bikes I own; in fact, I have more like animosity for these giant conglomerates whom all they give a sheet about is money, certainly not their customer base.

#36 ·
Well, it is pretty well established (at least in my mind) that there is some anomaly with the new 1250 engine in SOME 2019 BMW RT/GS bikes.

I have a friend who is very adaptable to model idiosyncrasies reported to me that his GSA is now making the noise purported by some reports on this and the GS boards. My friend is very angry about it because he says the noise is very disconcerning and he can hear it well over his full face and custom earplugs (unlike someone who reported to the contraire).

He went back to the dealership and threatened to return the bike. The sales guy showed him three GS that make the same noise and proposed the standard "they all do that" solution, along with "its a characteristic of the shiftcam technology"... My friend is a good mechanic and he is not convinced at all.

Apparently, the expectation of some kind of recall is in the air, and there are some talk about a class action suit among the owners he talks with.

Don't start flaming me! cause I am just reporting what I am hearing as I inquire about this issue.

...as for me, my ideas of trading my 2018 RT for the 2019 have come to an end.

ANECDOTAL: I am good friends with a Beemer tech who has been working on bikes since he was a little kid. I shared the above info with him; and his reply was this: "After being in this business for so long, one thing I learned is not to ever buy a first-year model"...something I have heard before, but I am gonna take to heart from now on.

It is kind of incongruous to be an RT lover listening to these negative reports because this 2018 RT is the smoothest best running bike I EVER owned.

#37 ·
I wonder what would happen if one cam shifted and the other side didn’t?

#46 ·
Thank you so much for this, I have previously searched every RT thread I could find without any real result, just didnt think to look on GS forums.

The issue I have is very real then and I am not alone, it looks like BMW have accepted that there is an issue but feel it is 'conceptual' and only heard by 'very critical customers' and therefore wont remedy the situation. They claim it is caused by 'resonance in the throttle body' (doesn't sound like that to me but what do I know!).

At least they are claiming no damage is being done to the engine which is something.

Several posts that feel the same way I do in that it has stolen their enjoyment of what would otherwise be a wonderful bike.

Worryingly several stated the noise has got worse with more miles, I think mine has slightly, just hope it doesn't deteriorate more

#52 ·
I also have to dispute the "soulless" catgorization for the K16.

I still sit on the K16 on tje show room and reminiss...of surplus torque and great handling.
Nah, the K16 is a good platform, its just not as dependable and all around type as the RT.

The funny thing is, some guys claim they never had problems even with the 2012 maiden K16.
I must admit: I haul-arses across the desert on the K16. Pretty soulfully may I add.

I had both, and the K16 gets about 10 mpg less than the RT.

#54 ·
Since this thread has taken a dual-topic nature. I am gonna add this for the sake of conversation:

When it comes to touring, the heavier bikes usually, I said usually, win, particularly in ride-comfort over the long haul.

I am not sure about their soul, but heavy bikes sit well on the hwy.

You take any of your GT/s, the Electra models, the Victory, that air cooled tourer Yamaha came up with, The LT of old, the Honda ST of old, your Goldwings...all them bike ride well on the interstate because at high speeds, they sit well, and 'usually', handle dirty air much better the likes of the lighter 'RT/s', Trophy, GSA etc. "Them is just the facts mam".

The rest is left to subjective preference. IE: you wouldn't catch me on an air cooled bike ever again.

#59 ·
That sounds much unlike the RTs I have heard run. I would definitely be concerned with an engine making that sort of noise. I don’t think that is normal no matter what BMW says.

I admit that I am a little perplexed by their shift cam technology. The auto world has had continuously variable cam timing for at least a decade now (my 2006 Sonata has it) and it works very well and its failure modes are fairly benign. The cams are actuated hydraulically via rotators on the end of the cam. True, this doesn’t allow you to have two different cam profiles, but you get much of the same benefit by simply changing the cam timing and if the actuators fail there is nothing to break. It seems to me that if the BMW cams were to shift at the wrong time or shift only half way, bad things might happen mechanically. I would like to see one up close and personal, but I just wonder what the failure modes are and if they are all benign mechanically.

It will be curious to see if BMW admits an issue with this engine noise, or just quietly makes it disappear on future engines and never really tells their customers what was wrong. Though usually you can tell from the parts redesign what they fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.