BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Alternative to GS-911.

51K views 166 replies 34 participants last post by  GoldenWest 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had said all along, over many years, that IMO, a GS-911 is a very expensive device to play with, but it is NOT necessary to have one to do any required maintenance on our bikes, and that includes brake fluid flush. OTOH, I do love to play with gadgets, but $400 is a bit rich for a (for me) toy!

So, I had been keeping my eye on the alternate option for a little while now, and somebody's recent post in another thread made me take another look, and realize that the device and app that you would need have "grown up", and for about $100, I am willing to get a new toy!

The reason for this post, and new thread, is because if you go at it the wrong way, you will be very dissatisfied when you unwittingly fall into a couple of potential issues. I want to share what I had researched and caution you about the potential pitfalls, with the products that I have purchased and used, just about a month ago.

Depending on what year bike you have (not necessarily just RTs), you will need either two or three things. The three things are: a good OBD-II scan device, an adapter cable to go from the standard OBD-II connector to the BMW round 10-pin connector, and the Android Only app MotoScan for BMW motorcycles. Here are the details on what you should get, and what to avoid:

OBD-II Scanner - these devices are based on ELM Electronics ELM327 chip. The very big issue is that the very early version of the chip has been heavily pirated by cheap Chinese manufacturers! Those cheap pirated devices will work, or not, and if they seem to work, they will have some very severe limitations as well as being inconsistent. You need to avoid those devices! One way of telling if the device that you are thinking of buying is legitimate or not, is to look at the cost, while keeping in mind that ELM sells their chip, in bulk to device manufacturer, at around $15 each! So, a cheap $5 or even $10 Chinese device isn't likely to be legitimate! You can read about this on ELM's website.

The scanner that I had bought, and recommend is the OBDLink LX, which is one of the one recommended by MotoScan. It will cost around $50 ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H9S71LW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). Note that MotoScan also recommend OBDLink MX, which is more expensive, but that is only because the MX model can communicate with Ford and Chevy vehicles, which have special communication protocol. That brings this to a special bonus in that you can use this device in your cars as well, with the free app for the product by the manufacturer!

OBD Connector to 10-pins BMW connector cable - You will NOT need this if you have the newer RT (2017+ ?). BMW has replaced the 10-pin diagnostic plug with the standard OBD-II connector for the newer bikes (must be an EU mandate!). For the rest of us, we do need this to connect the OBD-II scan tool to our bike. This is a potential pitfall as well. Some Chinese cables that you may see on eBay and even Amazon may have quality issues with their pins, and some have incorrect cross-connections between pins. This is a well-known issue, if you follow any of the discussions in other forums. I guess the safe thing to do is to buy what I have, which I know works very well. It will run you just under $20 at Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K7MQFC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ).

MotoScan - ( MotoScan for BMW Motorcycles - Apps on Google Play )this app is the heart of the application, and unfortunately, it is only available for Android and no plan of development for IOS at any time! It is free to download, and the "free" version will communicate with the scan device. MotoScan recommends that you do so, to make sure that your set-up is working. You can upgrade, within the app itself, to any of the 3 additional levels. The nice thing is that when you upgrade to a level that isn't the highest, you can upgrade to the higher level at any time by paying just the difference. Can't go backward though! :)

Presently, I have my MotoScan app paid for the second to the highest level (I think it's labeled as "Professional") at a cost of under $30, while the highest level is around $40+ (can't remember the exact numbers). At the Professional level, I can read and reset all fault codes, reset the service reminder, and (I believe) do the ABS brake module fluid flush. I don't know for sure only because I have not used it but went part way through the procedure just to explore. This level will not allow me to reset the adaptive vales, but the app can do so with the highest level.

Here is the item that this set up cannot do, at present, and it applies to the wetheads (and the newer BMW bikes only). Presently, it cannot do the ESA calibration. The feature works for the older bikes, and so you guys with camhead, hexhead won't have any issues at all! The app developer is working on the feature for the wethead and newer bikes, and he is hoping that it will work, perhaps next year. Here is what he said to me in a recent email communication:

Hello,

Is not possible on the new LC models. Will come next year.

Best Regards

--
Dipl.-Ing. Wladimir Gurskij
WGSoft.de
Automotive Diagnostic Software
Email: wladi@wgsoft.de
Homepage: WGSoft.de - Automotive Diagnostic Software, OBD-2.de - OBD-2.net - Das Fahrzeugdiagnose Informationsportal, MotoScan – App für professionelle BMW Motorrad Diagnose
Tel.: 05223/491234

Am 11.07.19 um 02:27 schrieb Padej Gajajiva:
I am using the Motoscan Professional with OBDLINK LX, on my 2015 BMW
R1200RT. Is it possible for me to do the ESA Calibration? I see the
option on the menu, but I had gotten an error message of not being
able to connect to the controller, when I tried to run the option.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Padej Gajajva.

I hope that the information is of some use! The app is very easy to use and understand, plus the bonus is that you can also use the device on your car to play around with. Oh, yeah, one other bonus is that you do NOT have any limitation as to how many bikes you use your set-up, which is very much in contrary to the $400 GS-911!

See less See more
#2 ·
I’ll probably go with this option. I don’t have an android phone, but I do have a Fire Tablet that runs android. There is a way to add the google play store to the device. Once I do that and it works I’ll buy the other tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
One other option mentioned in another forum (I think in AdvRider) is to buy a cheap Android prepay phone from Walmart, and use it just for this. Haven't look to see how cheap these phones are, but you could also buy a cheap used phone or tablet, just make sure that it is running at least the version of Android that MotoScan requires (it's in the MotoScan description).

#3 ·
Thanks Pad! This is definitely a more affordable option for those of us who really don't want to do much more than reset the service notification. Sharing the real world experience also takes away the risk of buying something that doesn't work.

#9 ·
That is the main purpose of the post! :)

If all that you want to do is to get rid of the service reminder, you might want to pay for the 1st paid level of MotoScan first, and see if it will allow you to do that. If not, then you can always upgrade to the next level, which won't cost you any more than if you had gone for the higher level initially.

#4 ·
Be aware that the MotoScan app is a translation from German and there are many sections that don't make sense. I have this setup and used it once and it failed to reset the service mileage (it deals only with KM), and I blew about 6,000 miles past an oil change. It's also written in German techno-speak, so there's also that.

Also, have fun decoding any error messages.

As mentioned earlier, I got my 911 from a trade of my OEM seat; I haven't used the other setup since.

Reactions: Ultra54
#10 ·
When was the last time that you had used MotoScan? I have absolutely no issues with the English, and IF you use the non-pirated OBD device, then you will not have any troubles at all with resetting anything! I didn't, anyway. The fault code readout is quite clear, in English.

As for blowing past the service time, I would chalk that up to operator error, big time! You DO have to know what you are doing, when using a tool like this.

#8 ·
I’ve been using MotoScan Ultimate app with the ‘correct’ hardware PadG mentioned at the start of this thread and I’ve been very satisfied with it for the price point. One advantage of this hardware set is the ELM327 scanner can be used with many of your cars and trucks as well in conjunction with another app like Torque...

I also have had a GS-911 for several years; in many ways it’s much more user-friendly, but for 95% of the maintenance I do on Hexheads the MotoScan app with an Android phone works great.

For those of you with iOS devices - if you want an Android phone just for bike/car diagnostics purposes many of the inexpensive ones at Walmart (‘burn phones’) will suffice; just buy one and don’t activate the cellular account.

Ride safe!

#11 ·
It is good to know that the newer RTs have the standard OBD-II connector. I have a BlueDriver for my cars. I wonder if it will work on a late model RT? It has been a great device for my cars and was relatively inexpensive at $100.

Anyone have a BlueDriver they have tried on their RT?

#13 ·
If you have an Android device, then just install the free MotoScan app, and hook your BlueDriver to the bike and see for yourself. The free MotoScan won't let you change anything, but it will show you if you have connection, and display fault codes and other information. You just can't change anything, that's all. If you like it, and things looks good, then you can upgrade from within the app.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
One more MotoScan note...

A couple of months ago I did an ASC retrofit to my 2009 R1200RT (all the details on that I posted elsewhere in this forum):
ASC Retrofit 09 R1200RT

The tech at the dealer downloaded the option code to the BMSK-P module (ECU) on the bike and I had already installed a retrofit ASC switch, but I had no indication on the instrument panel that ASC was active or disabled when I used the switch. No ASC light at all.

The GS-911 wasn’t much help in diagnosing this other than indicating ASC was installed in the ECU and letting me test the ASC indicator, but MotoScan allowed me to drill down into the KOMBI module (instrument panel) where I discovered the ASC light was never enabled.

The app allowed me to recode the KOMBI and enable that indicator so it works as it should now, without a return trip to the dealer.

With the re-coding capability MotoScan has it makes me think ASC was included in all the Hexhead RT ECUs past a certain VIN (also detailed in the referenced article) and all one would have to do is install the switch, go into the ECU and enable ASC, then into the KOMBI and enable the light.

Ride safe!

#18 ·
rangemaster - I believe it was one of your post in another thread a month or two back that had gotten me to update myself on the MotoScan thing. So, thanks!

As I said, I had been following the subject probably from the very beginning, and hadn't felt that it had "grown up", at least not the English version, until now. So far, I like it a lot.

#20 ·
When I first started playing with the motor scan app it was in German and then bad/broken English and has gotten much better.

I still use my GS-911 and know my way around it. This is the 3rd generation I have used so it is my choice.

I am intrigued by the MotorScan app and what it may have the ability to do down the road. When I played with and bought it many months ago I did not think much of it as it was a bit rough but the guy is responsive to development so the app is going to get better and grow.

It is a cheaper choice and that is important to many.

I think one needs to look at the function charts of the Moto Scan app and the GS-911 functions. That will tell you if your needs are meet by which product.

Like I say I run EVERY re-calibration, every test of each system, and I reset my fuel tables so they can rebuild. The only reset I do not do it the SAP as my experience is if it works dont mess with it.

This app has been around for some time and has been made 100% better then the first release I down loaded.

I will always choose the GS-911 over it, but for 100 bucks for the top software and a good OBD II you have a great way to avoid the dealer.

#22 ·
Hey, Lee, I appreciate your input, and since you have experience with both, perhaps you can tell me what the MotoScan canNOT do, as compared to the GS-911! Right now, ESA calibration is the only thing that I see as being deficient, but for the newer generation bikes only, and it is in the process of development. It will probably require you to update the MotoScan app and hook up your device and try to use it in the present version update.

#26 ·
To be honest I dont have a matrix of the two as far as each ones ability's.

I have the unrestricted GS-911 so I honestly do not use the Moto Scan tool/app much at all. I used it enough to know it will do the service minder and really that was all I wanted to proof out.

I think for the guy who just wants to change his oil and set the service date you cant beat the Moto Scan setup cost wise. I also think he will keep developing as he has a decent market now.

The GS-911 will always be my go to as it is bought and paid for. I will support HEX as they had this first for many years and I believe have this can bus thing down. And while the port has to conform to OBD II standard's, the code can be as proprietary as BMW wants it to be. I truly think BMW intends to keep locking down the code and our ability to do much to our software as the years go by. IMHO it is a direct "lock" to make one use the dealer. All this update crap should be a USB stick and insert it in the bike at key on, it sees the update and installs it and done. No you have to go to a dealer, pay him a 1/2 or 1 hour labor to get a software update to make the bike you already purchased run correctly.

I do think it may be worth a look what each can do but again it may not be important to a guy who just wants to set his own nag light without going to a dealer. I am still not figuring out how they got away with a nag light that can not be turned off by the owner. Many vehicles have service nags but you can turn them off or reset them usually by holding the reset button for your trip meter.

At any rate you delved into the MotoScan app way more then I and you provided a lot of information in one place for people to see. It is always good to have choices and competition as consumers.

Reactions: PadG
#23 ·
Note On The OBDLink Device.

One thing that I had forgetten to mention about the OBDLink device is that if you buy it, you want to make sure that the first thing that you do is to make sure that it is with the latest firmware, and do the update if it is not. How to do that is not apparent, and I wasn't able to find any instructions anywhere, but managed to figure it out for myself. This is how you do it:

First, connect the OBDLink to a vehicle. It can be your car or your bike, so that it's powered up. Go through the process to connect to it with the Bluetooth set-up instruction. If you don't have the app, go and get the free OBDLink app onto your device, and run it. This app is what you can use for your other vehicles for free, but more important it is where you can check and update your firmware version. You need to have the latest firmware version for MotoScan to run and have all features available.

Reactions: tonyt.0906
#25 ·
I have had the OBDlink LX for a few years for CARS. I have only had my 2012 R1200RT for 1.5 Yrs now, and tired of looking at service light. Did not want to spend >$300 to "fix" but just had to buy cable and software (Pro too). $40-50 At first it did not work. Support said to do firmware update while connected to car runnig Android APP . Without this , it woulld not connect. Now all fine. Thanks for the great write up PAD !!

#28 ·
BTW, guys, MotoScan has a web site, BUT it's in German only. A lot of useful information in there. I know, because when I access the site with an Android tablet, Google gave me the option of translating the pages automatically, and does a great job at it! Here is a page from that site, unfortunately in German (couldn't save the translated page), but you can get Google translate to do the task for you: https://www.motoscan.de/diagnoseadapter/

What is interesting is what MotoScan folk have to say about the various OBD-II scanner devices out there, and the feature or limitations that each would have in working with MotoScan. The information that I derived about OBDLink that I recommend is that it isn't based on, or solely based on the traditional ELM327 chip! I suggest that you guys get the page translated and go through it.

Oh, yeah, the other interesting thing to me was that they did confirm that the OBD-II connector on the 2017+ vehicles (not just our bikes) is due to an EU mandate! ;)

#30 ·
BTW, guys, MotoScan has a web site, BUT it's in German only. A lot of useful information in there. I know, because when I access the site with an Android tablet, Google gave me the option of translating the pages automatically, and does a great job at it! Here is a page from that site, unfortunately in German (couldn't save the translated page), but you can get Google translate to do the task for you: https://www.motoscan.de/diagnoseadapter/

What is interesting is what MotoScan folk have to say about the various OBD-II scanner devices out there, and the feature or limitations that each would have in working with MotoScan. The information that I derived about OBDLink that I recommend is that it isn't based on, or solely based on the traditional ELM327 chip! I suggest that you guys get the page translated and go through it.

Oh, yeah, the other interesting thing to me was that they did confirm that the OBD-II connector on the 2017+ vehicles (not just our bikes) is due to an EU mandate! ;)
Euro 4 and now Euro 5 are mandated requirements that must be meet. That is why we got a OBD II plug.

Euro 5 is a pretty strict one to meet.

IMHO it is why we got a ShiftCam. It allows low end to meet emissions and top end to come on and be the bike we expect.

#29 ·
I want to add something I've discovered a short time ago...

So the MotoScan app only runs in Android, but there is an Android emulator called BlueStacks that you can install on your Windows PC.

The app is free to download and run, but I guess there are some ads if you're playing games or whatnot. I haven't gotten too deep into this because I just installed it myself.

Not sure what scenario someone would find themselves using this in, but there it is.

I do not know if this runs on Mac or not since the download is only for Windows. However, MacOS has a Windows emulator you can get/run, which MIGHT mean that you could run an emulator on an emulator. :)

#31 ·
#32 ·
Was able to install the google play store on my fire tablet. Orders all the accessories and downloaded the MotorScan app with the professional license. I’ll see if I need to upgrade to the ultra once the parts are delivered and I give it a try

2013 BMW R1200RT 90 Years of Motorrad 2014 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Gone:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

#36 ·
I have the Motoscan app too. I thought I had to use the OBDLink app to update firmware. When using the motoscan app, I selected K26 nothing happened. I purchased the professional license

Gone:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

#41 ·
None that I have seen! Why don't you just get a cheap Walmart Smartphone that runs Android, to use just for this application? Less than $30, but I don't know what Android version they runs, and so do be careful and do your research. MotoScan requires Android above a certain level.

#42 ·
The app is showing a MAC address for the adapter, so the BT radio in the LX is communicating to the phone...you may indeed have a bad unit.

Just make sure no other OBD app is running on your phone at the same time...and as PadG mentioned check the version of Android you’re running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#50 ·
I ordered this one from Amazon:
ScanTool OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional Grade OBD-II Automotive Scan Tool for Windows and Android - DIY Car and Truck Data and Diagnostics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FqYwDbPNMFXWE

Technology Product Electronic device Electronics Flash memory

If it’s not talking to your vehicle (car/truck) after plugging it in, turning on the ignition and then pressing the pairing button then it smells like a hardware problem...

#52 ·
I reached out to tech support before returning it, turns out mine was shipped without any firmware, they had me restore it, and voilà. I’m
up and running, and my amazon fire tablet works, so I’ll be taking the cheap android phone back. Is there a way to change the read out for service interval to miles, no biggie if you can’t. Also I may upgrade to the ultimate license, so that I can use the other features like syncing the throttle actuators...

Gone:
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 600
2009 Suzuki GSX-R 1000

#53 ·
...Is there a way to change the read out for service interval to miles...
That's great to hear! Strange it wasn't programmed though.

As to your other question, I believe everything remains metric. However, I believe I know why my service light didn't come on when I reset the service interval while using the MotoScan app. So with the 911, you can setup a default interval to turn-on the service light OR make it come on at a specific odometer reading.

I think I changed the value in the MotoScan app thinking that was the mileage the light would come on (I converted 36,000 miles to KMs), but I now believe that I had told the app to turn the light on at 58,000 KMs!

I haven't used the MotoScan app in a while so I might be mis-remembering things, but I think that's what happened. Just leave that 10,000KM value alone and you'll be fine. Something you can do is to write down when your light should come on and compare to when it does.

Reactions: tonyt.0906
#56 · (Edited)
Good to hear you got it working!
Upgrading to Ultimate is just paying the difference in price.

Your Fire tablet should work great...and seeing as how you already loaded the MotoScan app that implies you sideloaded Google Play.

As an experiment I took a Fire tablet (Fire HD8, Xmas special) and was able to sideload DJI GO4 for UAV (drone) work...not the fastest tablet but you can’t beat the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.