BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Facing my crash head on one year later!

3K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  PadG 
#1 ·
So, in early September, I'm heading back east to the DC area for work. As many of you know, I totaled my 2012 RT on that same trip last year. I was putting together my GPS routes for the trip this year and decided to keep the same routes I used last year for the trip back to Iowa, you know, to face the crash head on. I'm thinking of putting a little something by the side of the road where my RT and an unlucky deer both met their fates. Probably should put some deer whistles on the new RT too!

#3 ·
Damn deer! My bro hit a good sized buck in Wyoming on our trip and the crash totaled his bike too, but he was able to walk away from it thankfully. Maybe some day someone will create an effective vehicle deer deterrent in which case we will all line up to purchase one. It's really a crap shoot with them unfortunately though you can reduce risk a little w/ time of day etc. I'm still not sure what the ideal speed is around deer--if you stay under 35mph chances are good you won't spoke one into you as they have time to react in non panic fashion. If you're going 85mph+ chances are by the time they hear you hardly have time to panic. Brother was doing about 58 when he hit the deer which got spooked into his flight path from behind shrubs on the side of the road. I think if we were doing 85+ he would have missed it! This is mostly rhetoric you understand!

#5 ·
OK, trip is set - I'll be leaving Iowa on Friday, Sept. 6th. I'm going to take the first day easy and stop at Wolf Creek State Park in IL - nice little spot. It's kind of sentimental for me as that was the first park I ever solo moto camped in a few years back.

Then, through IN and into OH on the 7th and into the DC area on Sunday the 8th. Work in DC Monday through Thursday, then Friday the 13th (!) will be taking the exact same route through VA that I took on that fateful day last August (a year ago tomorrow!) I'm thinking I'll stop at the accident site and just take in the sights, sounds, and smells. Then, dipping a toe in NC before heading northwest into TN for some camping in Graysons Highlands State Park. Saturday the 14th will see me traipsing thought TN, KY, and IL where I'll grab a site in Shawnee Nat'l Forest. Then, back home on Sunday the 15th.

Really looking forward to stretching the legs of the new RT. New tires spooned on this week - oh, what a feeling!

Color me excited!

#7 ·
Wont be long now. Are you getting ready?

Enjoy yourself.

#8 ·
That is probably not a bad way to do it. If deer whistles make you more comfortable by all means use them. I don’t believe they work, based both on trying them 40 years ago and from studies I have read, but if they give you peace of mind then by all means use them. At least they are cheap.

I have lived and driven/ridden in northern PA deer country my entire life. So far, I have been able to avoid the critters. Some of that is the grace of God and some is technique and understanding a little about deer from my hunting days early on.

Obviously, night is the worst time to ride, but an hour before and after sunset or sunrise is the worst. Deer tend to be on the move then between sleeping areas and eating areas. When you see one deer cross the road in front of you, expect two. If you see two, expect three. You get my drift. Always slow down and stay slow and alert for at least 100 yards past where the last deer crossed.

I try to avoid riding at night if possible, but I do it fairly often and don’t have all that much apprehension about it. I do ride more slowly at night, particularly in areas where the bushes come up close to the edge of the road. I admit I really like riding out west where you can see for miles along both sides of the road. I also add driving lights to my bikes and aim them well off the side of the road to try to get a glimpse of deer as soon as possible. And keep your emergency braking skills in decent shape and ride ABS bikes if possible.

There are no guarantees with deer, but a little extra caution at the right times and places goes a long way to lessen the risk. But it never goes to zero...

Reactions: Pabst and sailor
#12 ·
Have a wonderful trip...looks like a beautiful route and the summer vacation crowds should be minimal by then. You will love piloting the new wethead.

#14 ·
OK, taking off tomorrow morning! Lots of work stuff going on, so I'm a bit anxious about missing a day. I'm hoping after an hour or so in the saddle, the anxiety will wain and I'll be 100% in the trip. We shall see!

But, I'm super excited to get out there. If any of you know any deer between Iowa and DC, please let them know I'm heading their way and if they could stay off the roads, that would be mighty appreciated!

#17 ·
Older rider here (74), and haven't had my bike out in weeks. Too busy, too hot, and my fellow Beemer Geezers have had health issues (& excuses).:frown:

However, I've been following your story since your deer encounter. Off to church in a few minutes, but already lifted a prayer for your safety.:smile:

Looking forward to your next update.:wave

#18 ·
Hey, I really appreciate that - thanks very much Beemer tiger!

Day two and three done - made it to the DC area unscathed!

Yesterday I rolled into Caesar Creek State Park near Dayton, OH. The ride was beautiful - sunny and mild temps - perfect for riding. After setting up camp, I rolled into a nearby town for some grub, then back to the site to enjoy a raging campfire before off to bed.

Today... wow, absolutely gorgeous. I pretty much stayed on US 50 for most of the day. Lots of big, swooping curves, then plenty of tighter curves and a couple switchbacks once it got down to two lanes vs. four. Then, on over to US 48 through WV. I hit that road last year too and was amazed at how huge it is - and pretty much deserted. Nice road for eating up some miles. It too went from four to two lanes and the two lane portion was pretty fun.

Then, INTERSTATE. What a shock to the senses to have to deal with DC traffic after a day of twisty two lanes. But, that’s par for the course, I suppose.

So, back and forth to the office this week, then Friday is the day. I’m taking the exact same route I took last year, but will be going past mile marker 148 on the BRP this time! Should I be worried that it’ll be Friday the 13th? Nah, I’ll be good!

Reactions: PadG
#19 ·
Oh, and forgot to mention - saw lots of Beemers on the road today, especially on 50. Lots of GSs and GSAs, but also a couple of K1600s and even an RT or two. Saw lots of HDs, of course, as well. Just a really good day to be on a bike!

#21 ·
You might have seen a friend and myself yesterday on RT 50. We were returning home from the RA Natioal. I was riding a gold LT pulling a matching trailer and my friend was on a K1600 pulling a camping trailer. If you went through Athens, Ohio on 50 you went right passed my house.

#23 ·
OK, allow me to vent about parking in DC......

My office is in Georgetown and there are plenty of parking ramps situated around my building. The ramp I've used for years is a block away and costs $14/day for the "early bird" special - park before 9 or 10am, I believe. My last trip out here, sans motorbike, I scoped a super sweet spot for the bike - an odd shaped space between a couple of regular parking spaces. I was actually excited about using that space during this trip (I'm weird that way)!

So, yesterday, I roll into the ramp, get my ticket and park in "my spot". I was giddy with satisfaction, I tell ya! Go to the office, work the day, then grab the RT and head back to the hotel. No fuss, no muss.

Today, I follow the same protocol - enter ramp, grab ticket, proceed to park. As I'm rounding the corner to "my spot" there's a garage employee yelling, as it turns out, at me. I sort of look over my shoulder at him, can't make out a word he's saying (I am, after all, on a loud motorbike in a small, confined space), and continue to park a level below the yelling man.

I park (my spot, again!), take off my gear, grab my backpack, lock up the bike, and proceed to the surface to walk the block to my office.

Yelling Man is waiting for me on the surface. "Did you ride your motorbike into the garage?" "I know it was you, and I know you heard me telling you that motorbikes are not allowed in the garage."

Huh? I apologize and tell him I've been parking in the same garage for years and multiple times with a motorcycle. YM was not having it at all - waving his finger in my face with all sorts of scowling and yelling. He threatened to tow the bike since I wasn't following the rules. I politely asked him where is it posted the motorcycles aren't allowed in the garage and he just turned away with a huff and more waggling of his finger.

Good morning to you too, fine sir!

So, I moved the bike to a ramp right next to the office. The attendant there was much nicer and even walked me to the spot I could use. Of course, it's $6 more a day, but, pardon my French, F*#$ that dude at the other garage!

</vent>

#25 ·
Looks like the bike of someone experienced and ready for a long ride. Doubles as added padding should you encounter another creature wanting to leap on for a ride.:wink:

Your run in with the "Emperor of the Parking Lot"...poor miserable guy...remind me that the "BARNEY FIFE TYPES," are very funny on TV...but never funny when you meet one in real life!:(:mad:

#29 ·
Looks like I’ll need to swing by REI to see if they have that sink!

Since I’m at work for a week, there’s extra clothes and a backpack with my work laptop and stuff, so yeah, lots of stuff.

The silver roll bag has all of my camping stuff: tent, sleeping bag, cot, Kermit w/ extensions, and two camp pillows. The red bag’s got my clothes. Top case carrys the backpack and miscellaneous stuff (lantern, tent peg mallet, towels, etc.).

Both those bags make for a pretty nice backrest!

#31 ·
BTW, you should be quite safe coming back through Ohio! I had a little chat with somebody . . . .

#32 ·
I have just read through this thread and enjoyed catching up on your trip. Good for you, for getting back in the saddle and facing it head-on... so to speak.

Regarding roadside memorials -- I'm not a fan but if it makes you feel better about passing the place where it happened, go for it. I would be tempted to smile and wave at it or something. Or maybe a certain hand gesture, you know, just to show it who's boss.

When you pass through Athens, OH you are about 45 minutes south of me. Route 50 is a nice road, as you mentioned.

Safe travels back to Iowa!

#33 ·
Well, I made it back to Iowa, safe and sound.

Here’s how it went down! Friday, the 13th, was the day I retraced my steps from last year when I had an unscheduled dismount on the Parkway. This year, nothing as dramatic happen, but the riding was less than ideal. Drizzle for most of the way from DC to the start of the Parkway. Then, more than drizzle; at times, a downpour, and the thickest fog I have ever experienced. That coupled with the threat of deer (not imagined – I saw at least 20 deer this time, all off to the side of the road, luckily, but it was thick with those critters!), made for a less than stellar ride. But, still better than not riding, right? As I was nearing Roanoke, I decide to detour to Frontline Eurosports to chat with Tommy, the mechanic who dealt with my totaled RT last year, and thank him personally. Unfortunately, Tommy was out sick that day, so I just perused the showroom floor, bought a t-shirt, and headed back to the Parkway. I’m not sure what the deal was, but the traffic through Roanoke was horrible. It was about 3pm, so I don’t think it was rush hour, but it sucked nonetheless. Rain too. As I entered the Parkway, I was greeted with “Road Closed” signs and the Parkway was blocked. Turns out, milepost 106 – 112 is closed for road repair, and guess what, the detour took me back through that lovely Roanoke traffic!

So, an hour or so later, I’m back on the Parkway headed towards the infamous milepost 148; the site of the death of my 2012 RT and the poor deer that decide to jump out at me. I had all sorts of ideas on how to commemorate the anniversary, but when I finally got there, you know, I didn’t feel like really doing anything about it. I’m generally not superstitious or anything like that, so I just pulled a couple fist pumps as I rounded the curve and continued on my way through the pissing rain and pea soup fog.

The rest of the day saw me though the northwest corner of North Carolina and back northwest to Grayson Highlands State Park in VA. Got into the campsite around 8pm, so it was about an 11 hour day. Boil-n-bag for dinner and wet night’s sleep was the agenda for the rest of the evening.

Saturday, 9/14, saw me twisting my way out of Grayson Highlands and slabbing it through TN and on over to KY. As soon as I crossed over into KY, the route I had created took me though all sorts of crazy weird little roads, eventually spitting me out in Daniel Boone Nat’l Forest. This is where I picked up KY 192, which I believe is called “The Rattlesnake” – fun road and hardly any traffic. I’m not sure if this is the same “Rattlesnake” I’ve been on before or not – I seem to recall that other Rattlesnake being in OH? Whatever the case, it was fun and I really enjoyed riding some twisties after spending many hours slabbing it through TN.

Plan A for that night was to camp at the Pharaoh Campground in Shawnee Nat’l Forest in southern IL. It’s a first come, first serve site that I’ve stayed at a few times. Very quiet and nice, but since it was Saturday and unseasonably warm, I sort of figured it would be packed by the time I rolled in around 7pm. I was right, so Plan B it would be (hopefully). Just about 7 miles from the Pharaoh is Pounds Hollow – a much bigger (and sometimes, louder) campsite. However, this time, it was not crowded at all and was super quiet. Perfect! I unloaded my crap, threw up my tent quick, then headed into Harrisonburg, IL for some grub. Back at the site, I started up a nice fire and just vegged out for a few hours until bed.

The last day in, Sunday, 9/15, was pretty boring, in terms of roads. Straight out of Shawnee Nat’l Forest west towards St. Louis, then north back home, where I rolled into the house around 6pm.

All said and done, over 2800 miles (including my commutes into DC last week). The RT handled like an absolute dream, even loaded down with all my crap. I dare say it handled the trip better than my ’12; not to speak poorly of the dead, or anything…

#34 ·
Here are a few pic. First is the obligatory BRP sign. See how nice and rainy it was? Second pic shows how foggy the background was. This was actually pretty decent compared to the stuff I'd hit later on that day.

Attachments

#35 ·
Of course, can't have a picture of a Beemer without the Starbucks - somewhere in TN. Then, an ass break somewhere in KY. And, a sweet selfie that the kids are always talking about... how's my hair look?

Attachments

Reactions: PadG
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.