• 3 Post By bandytales
  • 1 Post By Don Redman
  • 2 Post By bandytales
  • 1 Post By mt65804
  • 3 Post By bandytales
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

'05 RT struck by lightning

as the title says, a bolt cam down a tree next to the bike.
Bike starts, runs and drives (without brake assist) with all lights except console.
-no instruments or computer display

any help or guidance would be appreciated. Video below:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Re: '05 RT struck by lightning

It probably blew the ECU, lighting can emit EMP if its close enough.

Call your insurance, it should be covered if you have full coverage. Actually looks like comprehensive insurance might also cover "act of god" claims, which typically have a pretty low deductible.
wArt likes this.

Last edited by Kabish; Jul 12th, 2019 at 1:25 pm.
post #3 of 38 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabish View Post
Actually looks like comprehensive insurance might also cover "act of god" claims, which typically have a pretty low deductible.
It would be the comprehensive component, and the deductible is whatever you chose it to be when you bought the policy.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

post #4 of 38 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

A Piedmont red 2005 RT? It is worth getting it repaired!

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2

Last edited by jeffdean; Jul 12th, 2019 at 6:59 pm.
post #5 of 38 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

No insurance on the bike, and I fix them myself, just out of my element on this one?
I guess there are not any folks like me in this forum?
post #6 of 38 Old Jul 12th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Garage

Usually with things like this, all you need to do is to check the PS Eye's in the tires and the bike's air filter. Some have found that adding FDIC Blue tint #43.5 to the heat transfer fluid in the circulation system to work wonders.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #7 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by N00bie RT Gawd View Post
Usually with things like this, all you need to do is to check the PS Eye's in the tires and the bike's air filter. Some have found that adding FDIC Blue tint #43.5 to the heat transfer fluid in the circulation system to work wonders.
I like humor as much as the next guy, maybe even more. I come in asking for a little help, and any ideas, and Kabish is the only guy that gives me anything? Do you folks treat all your new members the same way, or I am just dealing with a handful of dicks?

BTW, thank you Kabish!
Digtlartst and alegerlotz like this.
post #8 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 1:00 pm

If the engine runs, it's probably not the ECU. Does ABS work? What else is inop, or is it just the gauges? Plenty of great guys on here ready to help. Maybe someone close to you has a GS911 and can look at codes. That would be the best starting point. It's definitely worth fixing. How many miles are on the bike?

Last edited by minirips2; Jul 14th, 2019 at 1:05 pm.
post #9 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Garage

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Call your insurance company.

2018 R1200RT 3,200 miles, 2004 R1150RT 188,100 miles, 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 426,900 BMW miles

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
post #10 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 1:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2 View Post
If the engine runs, it's probably not the ECU. Does ABS work? What else is inop, or is it just the gauges? Plenty of great guys on here ready to help. Maybe someone close to you has a GS311 and can look at codes. That would be the best starting point. It's definitely worth fixing. How many miles are on the bike?
Thanks minirips2, I figured there would be somebody that could help brainstorm, thanks for stepping up. I do plan to pull codes next week, and I will give you more detail in the meantime.

-bike starts and runs
-brake servos (assist) do not work, so I am assuming ABS is not working either?
-brakes work, but not well (squeeze harder)
-so instrument lights, cluster, and display do not work.
-Display does work when stereo is turned on, but only displays stereo info.

That is about all I have till next week, and will post results (hopefully I can get codes with questionable digital system?
post #11 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Redman View Post
I like humor as much as the next guy, maybe even more. I come in asking for a little help, and any ideas, and Kabish is the only guy that gives me anything? Do you folks treat all your new members the same way, or I am just dealing with a handful of dicks?

BTW, thank you Kabish!
Yes.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #12 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 3:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

BTW, thank you Kabish!
Don,
After being a forum member for less than 6 weeks, started 2 threads but not contributed elsewhere, it's probably a bit early for you to have an opinion on the rest of us.
Take a few deep breaths, sort through you current problem (with a little help form us) and come to value this forum. In time you'll even come to appreciate N00bie RT Gawd.

Please let us know how you go with your lightning strike problem. It is an unusual one.

Ian
Stooie likes this.

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.

Last edited by garr2; Jul 14th, 2019 at 3:57 pm.
post #13 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Sure Ian, my reply might have sounded harsh, and I always assume any community is made up of mostly awesome people (usually lightly sprinkled with dicks) I was surprised with the larger sprinkle. My bad. Hopefully ,I will have something to contribute in the future (besides my disappointment) I just wanted to make sure I was in the right place. From the PM I just read I will be taking a deep breath, while I sort thru the problem. Thanks to all willing to help.
post #14 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 6:46 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

As best I can tell, lots of BMW LT experience but limited RT, you have a Kombi controller for the dash and the brain in the ABS unit and both could have been fried by the bolt. Either can be expensive to replace. Also check all your fuses with a good meter as many may have blown out as well. Time to look for a wrecked bike for parts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #15 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Don't forger Beemer Boneyard when you are looking for parts to replace.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #16 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I have now owned my RT for less than two years, but I have probably ridden it less than some of you ride in a month. This thread topic has ignited my curiosity. I believe if I were affected by having my bike (investment) injured by such an incident, I too would be not too amused at others taking it so lightly and responding with flippant humor.

Unless someone has commented while I was composing this post, I have seen no mention of connecting a GS911 diagnostic tool. It would be interesting to see what a diagnostic report would reveal. Another question to the owner would be have you disconnected and reconnected the battery? Wonder if doing so would do any kind of "reset," for the computer? Please let us know as you work through solving the issues. It could provide all of us with valuable insight once all the after affects are all sorted out.
Pappy53 likes this.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #17 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 9:13 pm

No fuses on an RT all canbus. Going to be tuff to sort out. Good luck
post #18 of 38 Unread Jul 14th, 2019, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

I am planning on pulling codes (hopefully) this week. I did try battery disconnect u successfully, and still hoping for a easy and cheap solution. I will document the journey.
post #19 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 5:07 am

Quote:
I like humor as much as the next guy, maybe even more. I come in asking for a little help, and any ideas, Do you folks treat all your new members the same way, or I am just dealing with a handful of dicks?
Hi Don.
I understand your frustration. However, I don't think this is the best forum for technical help. Can I suggest you post across on the BMWST forum. The forum knowledge for your particular RT year will be much more focussed.
https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/forum/35-hexheads/
Digtlartst likes this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #20 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 6:25 am

Quote:
Sure Ian, my reply might have sounded harsh, and I always assume any community is made up of mostly awesome people (usually lightly sprinkled with dicks) I was surprised with the larger sprinkle. My bad. Hopefully ,I will have something to contribute in the future (besides my disappointment) I just wanted to make sure I was in the right place. From the PM I just read I will be taking a deep breath, while I sort thru the problem. Thanks to all willing to help.
Who's the dick, poster, or NOObie, helpful longtime member? I'm going with poster that just got here and has no idea who people are.

Nice first impression by the way. The folks over at BMWST might be more your speed.
post #21 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 7:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Hi Don.
I understand your frustration. However, I don't think this is the best forum for technical help. Can I suggest you post across on the BMWST forum. The forum knowledge for your particular RT year will be much more focussed.
https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/forum/35-hexheads/
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt65804 View Post
Who's the dick, poster, or NOObie, helpful longtime member? I'm going with poster that just got here and has no idea who people are.

Nice first impression by the way. The folks over at BMWST might be more your speed.

Well...out of curiosity, I am wondering how many of us are members of multiple BMW forums? During my initial quest for a BMW motorcycle, I first joined the BMW chromeheads forum because, knowing I was going for a "USED" BMW...I was drawn to the odd limited years of production BMW cruisers. Not until I purchased my RT, did I discover and subsequently join this forum. So...after seeing the above link, I have joined a third forum? I have yet to join any of the BMW Owner's clubs. I already pay dues to a club of one particular make of vintage automobiles to which I have belonged for over four decades. If I joined and paid dues to the special interests organizations of all the "old iron" crap I have...I probably wouldn't have any money left to enjoy them.

Never declare a cherished memory as "the best day of my life"...it will forever diminish the possibility for "Tomorrow" being the "Best Day!"

post #22 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 8:22 am

Garage

Geez...you guys really know how to make a guy feel welcome. You got Mr. Bipolar pops in and takes dump in a new guy's thread looking for help and some of you feel the need to pig-pile on him because he complains about it? <facepalm>
Don Redman likes this.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
post #23 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 8:23 am

Garage

Quote:
...says the guy with a whopping 60 posts to his credit.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
post #24 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Hey bandytales, thanks for the heads up on the other tech forum. I will probably post over there too because you can never have too many brains for your knowledge base.
Pappy53 likes this.
post #25 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Now as far as many of the other responses, I will say that you reap what you sow. If you welcome dysfunction, disrespectful behavior, and anarchy, that is what you will become. One good thing to do is read back through the initial posts. You will see a bunch of cats responding but not really answering anything. Nothing even remotely helpful with responses like " call your insurance".... My favorite response being, and I am paraphrasing"I have nothing to add, so I will add the same nothingness that has been suggested already". Now if you think that I am being sensitive, or that I haven't been a member long enough to have an opinion of other members, that is a legitimate objection. However, I have been a member of enough communities, and the founder and creator of enough communities to see trouble on the horizon. Since managing several volatile communities myself over the past decade, I have seen quite a few dissolve when they failed to welcome and encourage new membership appropriately. I do understand human psychology, territorial behavior, and tribalism quite well. I think there are good and bad things from these behaviors. As long as you recognize the bad and try to control, to some extent, the bad behaviors, your community will continue to grow and thrive. If you only encourage the tribalism and passive aggressive behaviors, you will only keep a few of the members you have currently. I Could be wrong?

Maybe this is a chance to learn about more than just what a lightning bolt can do to a motorcycle?
Pappy53 likes this.
post #26 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy53 View Post
...says the guy with a whopping 60 posts to his credit.
Not that it matters but a bunch of us had to re-join a few years ago after the site got hacked, I've been here for over 10 years.

BMWST is a dying board but they do have a lot of info on old bikes like yours. I joined in 2007 after buying Jeff Deans used 05 RT. The one in the picture above. It was an oil burning POS but I loved it.

You come to a new place, ask for help, and then call us dicks. I would have brushed it off until I got to know my surroundings. It's just being courteous.

Get insurance and stop riding illegally.
post #27 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 9:56 am

Quote:
BMWST is a dying board.
You have got to be joking.

It is one of the most 'together', technically knowledgeable, polite forums I have ever stumbled across.
Digtlartst, PadG and Pappy53 like this.

post #28 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 9:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:

You come to a new place, ask for help, and then call us dicks. I would have brushed it off until I got to know my surroundings. It's just being courteous.

Get insurance and stop riding illegally.
If you assumed that I was calling the entire board dicks because of a couple of posts, then that is a very good example of tribalism. This board is quite obviously not made up entirely of dicks because of the overwhelming private response I have had, mostly pointing out the dickish behavior and confirming my suspicions. If you want to be butthurt you will be butt hurt. If you feel like your comments in this thread we're dickish, then I was talking to you. If you did not post before my comment, then you should feel certain I am not talking to you or about you. If you are defending dickish behavior then you are part of the problem.

There are a couple of states that do not require insurance. I am a resident of one of them. Probably would not have comprehensive insurance on this bike anyway even if I chose to insure it. Talk about assumptions huh?
Pappy53 likes this.
post #29 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 10:03 am

As to who is right, or wrong, or how we should respond to any given poster is irrelevant. Can we concentrate on how to help Don.
Pappy53 and Don Redman like this.

post #30 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
You have got to be joking. It is one of the most 'together', technically knowledgeable, polite forums I have ever stumbled across.
I didn't say they were bad, it's just that after Fernando took over things went downhill. I suggested BMWST because we are known as Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

If you have an old bike it's great but there isn't much activity on the newer LC's. Yes, back in the day we would fill up small towns with the UN. 150 bikes or more and not all BMW's. Again, yes, lots of great, respectful members. Whip owns the board now so we'll see what happens. He's not a BMW guy but respects the history of the site. A lot of us cross the county just to meet up for a few days.
post #31 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 10:35 am

Dirt Rider on BMWST will have all the answers for you. He's a BMW tech that answers everyone's questions.

Your part of the reason I have to buy Uninsured Motorist insurance then.

It's easy to put the 'dicks' on ignore so you won't have to deal with all those unhelpful answers.
Pappy53 likes this.
post #32 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 10:39 am

Quote:
I didn't say they were bad, it's just that after Fernando took over things went downhill. I suggested BMWST because we are known as Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

If you have an old bike it's great but there isn't much activity on the newer LC's. Yes, back in the day we would fill up small towns with the UN. 150 bikes or more and not all BMW's. Again, yes, lots of great, respectful members. Whip owns the board now so we'll see what happens. He's not a BMW guy but respects the history of the site. A lot of us cross the county just to meet up for a few days.
On the bike specific BMWST forum, there is a huge depth of knowledge (maybe only by a few people, but that is valuable and quick responding knowledge). That means you can generally get to the crux of the matter way quicker. And although I really enjoy this BMWLT board, I have not seen the same technical skills constantly available. So, that is the joy of having one source available to us to ask questions.
Digtlartst, garr2 and Don Redman like this.

post #33 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 12:50 pm

Florida and Washington are the two states that don't require it, which is interesting info, never knew that. If you travel as much as your channel shows though not having insurance is soooooooooo risky. I guess since you live "off grid" that removes a lot of the risk from you I suppose... /shrug
post #34 of 38 Unread Yesterday, 1:34 pm

Garage

Quote:
...Your part of the reason I have to buy Uninsured Motorist insurance then. ...
Liability insurance (aka paying for someone else's stuff that you've damaged) is usually required.

Comprehensive insurance (aka paying for your own stuff if it gets damaged by you, someone else who is un/under insured, or other causes) is usually only required if you have a lien on the vehicle.

I don't think that Don was specific about which insurance he doesn't have, so I took that to mean the Comprehensive portion.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #35 of 38 Unread Today, 6:20 am

phew.....at least jeffdean was able to squeeze in another picture of his bikes. <----- dick comment

Last edited by MHTOUR; Today at 6:42 am.
post #36 of 38 Unread Today, 7:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey bandytales, thanks for the heads up on the other tech forum. I will probably post over there too because you can never have too many brains for your knowledge base.
Yes, Andy gave you good direction. I am also a member of that forum, along with Adventure Rider, but the last one will be too broad for you. When you get on BMWST, make sure that you post your issue in the right section. Hexhead is the 1200RT from '05 - '09, camhead is '10 - '13, and wethead is '14 - '18. Before anyone pipe up, I am talking about RTs. I know that the wethead GS started in '13. BTW, the 1250s are called shiftcam!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #37 of 38 Unread Today, 7:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
. . . . .

BMWST is a dying board but they do have a lot of info on old bikes like yours. I joined in 2007 after buying Jeff Deans used 05 RT. The one in the picture above. It was an oil burning POS but I loved it.

. . . .

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #38 of 38 Unread Today, 7:45 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTOUR View Post
phew.....at least jeffdean was able to squeeze in another picture of his bikes. <----- dick comment
Now THAT was funny!!! Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in