Parking on Dirt - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Norriscyn
  • 1 Post By Yango
  • 1 Post By thesspirate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2019, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Parking on Dirt

I'm not knocking Harley riders or their machines, however it seems that the majority of time that I pass parked Harley's (single or group parked), they are on dirt and in many cases, pretty crappy sections with large divots, nice sized rocks, etc.

I don't see them pull in or out and these spots are usually ones that I wouldn't put my '17 RT on - which doesn't have the low bits that Harleys generally have.

Also on asphalt surfaces, they seem to be able to park their bikes in places where the RT is just leaning over too much (although turning the RT handlebars to the right instead of left sometimes helps).

Just curious if anyone else has noticed this "phenomenon" and how (and why) do they get their bikes (and pillions) in and out of these rough sections of dirt?
diegojguerrero likes this.

2017 R1200RT
(2014 R1200RT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2019, 5:26 pm

Re: Parking on Dirt

Prolly drunk. I dunno, never thought about it
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2019, 6:07 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Say what you will but Harley does know how to design and implement a side stand that works.

My Sportster and my Road Glide I could park just about anywhere. While I dont have Harley tattoos I enjoyed the two I owned and I really dont have anything bad to say about the bikes of Harley, it is the people of Harley that give me pause.

It was not until BMW days that I ever had to worry over parking a motorcycle, BMW just sucks on side stand implementation.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Pretty much everyone I ride with has a Harley. We don’t really discriminate about where we park—don’t think about it much, apart from whether or not we can all fit in. Most of us, myself included, carries a square of hard plastic or metal to stop our stands from sinking into the ground. It works like a charm.
Roger 17 RT likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 5:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norriscyn View Post
I'm not knocking Harley riders or their machines, however it seems that the majority of time that I pass parked Harley's (single or group parked), they are on dirt and in many cases, pretty crappy sections with large divots, nice sized rocks, etc.

I don't see them pull in or out and these spots are usually ones that I wouldn't put my '17 RT on - which doesn't have the low bits that Harleys generally have.

Also on asphalt surfaces, they seem to be able to park their bikes in places where the RT is just leaning over too much (although turning the RT handlebars to the right instead of left sometimes helps).
My LT had a high center of gravity and would not lean very far to the left, requiring a carefully scoped out parking area. The side of the road was the worst because of the crown to the right. Parking on the side of any major highway was a challenge. The GTL is a little better, but not by much. I've thought about cutting the kickstand, but hesitate because in general, the BMW engineers know better..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 3:33 pm

I've had 5 Harleys and like LAF said, their side stands are rock solid and you can park just about anywhere with no issue. I took a ride out to Pioneertown, CA this past weekend and we had to park in some hard-ish sand and I had to find a rock to put under the side stand foot so it wouldn't sink and tip. I have noticed that the RT doesn't lean quite as much as the Harley's, but I've never had an issue with parking it places cause of its angle.

I also don't have a Harley tattoo, probably because I don't have much room for one anymore, but I loved my Harleys. I just got sick of dumping money into them to make them perform as a motorcycle should. Now here I am and I probably won't go back anytime soon.
Pabst likes this.

| Orange County, CA. | 18 Mars Red RT | Many Harleys Previously |
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 7:06 pm

I parked my LT in the front yard... got to practice some pick up skills, even with using a coke can. I carry a plate that slides onto the foot of my kickstand if needed. I used the plate a few months ago when I had to park on wet grass. Had I not used the plate, I would have been picking her up yet again as we had had lots of rain. The ride on the very wet grass was lots of fun with lot of unpredictable cars going to parking spots, too.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 6:44 am

I find it very challenging to park the RT. It is very vertical when on the side stand. The XR really goes over on the side stand so I don't have to be as careful. I rode Harley for years. I was more worried about parking down hill that the side angle. Several times I had to get help pushing the back out of a parking space. I finally learned to be more aware of the slope. I am very aware of the side slope with the RT. I dropped it in a down pour in Leadville, CO. It was fully loaded and I was getting on to leave. I had to get some help to pick it up because the crown on the road was so steep. I had a cop in no where CO get me a hard where I parked when he pulled me over. It was a challenge to fins a safe spot. I too have thought about shortening the side stand. A lady friend had her GTL side stand shortened and it worked out well.

2014 R 1200 RT
2016 S 1000 XR
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 8:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yango View Post
We don’t really discriminate about where we park—don’t think about it much, apart from whether or not we can all fit in.
Though a lot heavier they sit lower and have a lower CoG so this reduces static drop risk substantially especially for shorter people, hence you don't need to think about it quite as much. As I'm too cheap to purchase boxer crash guards I've chosen to remain ultra diligent about where I park to avoid a static drop. 38.5K miles and counting. I will park only in places easy to get in and out of, on dry clean pavement wherever possible even if it means parking away from my destination a ways. Oh I've parked in some iffy places a few times when there just wasn't anything better but I do my best to avoid it! Plus HD riders on the whole are just way too macho to do something like park on pussy pavement when there's nasty dirt with holes and rocks available

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
I had a cop in no where CO get me a hard where I parked when he pulled me over. It was a challenge to fins a safe spot.
Same here. I went a good 1/3 of a mile after the cop signaled me to pull over to find a decent spot to park my Kaw 1000LTD and that got the entire exchange started on the wrong foot!

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 9:58 am

Check out this video. At 25 seconds you’ll see the kickstand pivot. That is the “secret” to the Harley Davidson Jiffy Stand. When the bike leans over, the Jiffy Stand pivots under the weight of the bike and “locks” into place.

The downside is the momentary PANIC you’ll have when you lean the bike over and it KEEPS LEANING and LEANING until it locks onto place. (It was always fun to watch people the first few times they dismounted a HD. Their eyes got bigger and BIGGER. Ha ha)

https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/inspe...-stand-015460/

Doug L.
2014 R1200RT. 57,000+

Previous...
2000 Harley Davidson Dyna Convertible. 101K miles (Gone)
1982 Honda V45 Magna. 45K miles (Gone)
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 10th, 2019, 3:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

TwoWheels - that reminds me of the small scare that I gave myself just a week ago. Prior to the event, I had just finished doing a major maintenance, and when I was draining the oil, I swung the side-stand into the up position. Generally, I always keep it deployed when parked on the center stand. Forgot about this, and a couple of days later, when I was ready for a long ride, I rocked the RT off the center-stand, and as always, quickly let it down onto the deployed side-stand, which wasn't deployed. Luckily, I didn't let go of the bike, as it leaned way past where the side-stand should have caught it. I did managed to save it from laying down!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #13 of 18 Old Yesterday, 8:02 pm

Why do Harleys park on the dirt? Let me count the ways...

Probably for the same reason I look for an incline to drive up to when I want to use the center stand.

Or, and incline NOT TO my left cause the bike will park too straight and that can give me ulcers.

When you see a Harley parked on the dirt you can be sure of one thing: That's where the rider wanted to park, so that's why he parked there...'m just sa'ng
post #14 of 18 Old Yesterday, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
Same here. I went a good 1/3 of a mile after the cop signaled me to pull over to find a decent spot to park my Kaw 1000LTD and that got the entire exchange started on the wrong foot!
Both you and BDbeemer played your cards incorrectly. You mishandled that situation. Here is how is done:

The way to have gone about this is to stop as soon as safely, stay seated on the bike with both your hands on the handlebar. And very courteously say: Hi Officer dipsheet, you look very handsome today. Don't you have anything better to do than to bother a fellow biker riding by minding his own business. I am sure there must be somebody robbing a liquor store at gun-point somewhere, you could attend to. Because riding around on a 30,000 dollar bike with a 500 dollar gun, 400 dollars worth of boots, radio, and that other sheet you carry with you (which mind you, I have to pay for with taxes), stopping bikers for riding 10-15 miles over the speed limit ain't gonna make this Gooddang hwy any safer...don't you feel the meaningless of your existence right about this point in your life, where all you do is act as a puppet of the city collecting revenues from good citizens like myself to enhance the city's politician pockets?
My tax dollars would be better served if you got more involved in preventing crime and jailing criminals, Sir...make sure you say 'sir' at the end so you can come across as respectful.

This should get you out of a ticket for sure.
post #15 of 18 Old Today, 4:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
I was in a similar situation, I raised my hand to indicate I'd seen the pretty lights on his car, then finally found a business I could pull into where I was (a) out of traffic and (b) in a location where I could safely put the sidestand down if needed. When the cop came up the first words out of my mouth were "Thank you for understanding that I was looking for a safe place to stop" (whether he actually understood or not was irrelevant, I wanted start off our "chat" by giving him an excuse to come off as a good guy in his own mind. Couldn't hurt and might help).

I'm not entirely convinced that @wethead's method would have worked better, but I nevertheless strive to keep an open mind.

2016 R 1200 GSAW (low)

post #16 of 18 Old Today, 7:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

The Harley kickstand has got to be the best thing on my bike compared to the RT. You can park it just about anywhere and you and your SO can sit on it without fear of the kickstand bending or breaking.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #17 of 18 Old Today, 1:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Another benefit to the extreme lean and locked in place side stand is if you get a flat tire you can still use the side stand. No center stand for a back up. Stiff sidewall rear tire does not go flat to the rim .I would opt for more lean on the 1200RT. Too vertical on level ground.

McWideglide

Jeff M.
2002 Harley Dyna Wideglide
2016 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT sold
1976 BMW R90/6 sold
1967 BSA 441 Victor sold
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

One thing that I have learned from all of the discussion is how one company put great importance to how the rider parks, while the other on how we ride!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in