Battery nod & wink? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By bushbikie
  • 4 Post By NoelCP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 5:35 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Battery nod & wink?

'15 RT, 40K km, serviced as per schedule, recently ridden only every couple of weeks, original OEM battery (ie almost 4 years old).
The last couple of winter starts (s. hemisphere) have been odd.
Turn ignition on, wait for dials to stop dancing, press start - an audible click then nothing.
Turn ignition off, wait a moment then back on, dials dance, hit start and motor fires up without hesitation.
Once started I notice some menu choices have been reset - to default eg Trip 1, and auto DRL.
A restart later in the day is fine.
Could this be a nod and a wink from the battery?

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 5:38 am

Re: Battery nod & wink?

Yup, she's almost cactus - time for a new one!

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
LAF likes this.

2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue
They call me......Tony
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 6:10 am

Yes, it is waiting for an overnight trip. Where it won't do anything when you try it in the morning. Batteries are like that........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:18 am

Don't buy one from the dealer, too expensive.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:29 am

Garage

Ian:

The battery is certainly trying to tell you something. Batteries can last eight to ten years but four years is a pretty average life span.

While I would agree that there's a very good chance the battery is on its way out I'd do a few simple checks before scrapping it.

1. Check and clean the terminals. Four years is plenty of time to build up some corrosion that can inhibit even a good battery's charging and its ability to supply current where it's needed.

2. If you've got a battery charger, charge it up, let it sit for a day or two, and check its voltage with a digital volt meter. If it's not still at least 12.4 volts, then it's not holding a charge and is done.

3. If it is holding its charge, I'd be tempted to take the battery to a shop where they can to a cranking test on it. If it passes that, I' d check the charging system and be tempted to keep it.

Good luck!
Bob Stewart

Salem, Oregon

2018 R1200RT
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by garr2 View Post
'15 RT, 40K km, serviced as per schedule, recently ridden only every couple of weeks, original OEM battery (ie almost 4 years old).
The last couple of winter starts (s. hemisphere) have been odd.
Turn ignition on, wait for dials to stop dancing, press start - an audible click then nothing.
Turn ignition off, wait a moment then back on, dials dance, hit start and motor fires up without hesitation.
Once started I notice some menu choices have been reset - to default eg Trip 1, and auto DRL.
A restart later in the day is fine.
Could this be a nod and a wink from the battery?

Ian
garr:

I would clean the battery terminals first. I've seen almost new batteries do exactly what you're describing, sometimes it works, other times not, just because some of that white powdery stuff had built up on the post. That stuff is a great insulator and it makes enough gap that contact isn't good enough to start the bike, but good enough to run the lights, gages etc. Make sure both the posts and the clamps are clean. You have to remove the battery to do it right, but it could save your battery for another year.

If you do decide to get a new one, clean these terminals anyway.

If you clean it and it still happens, buy a new battery. Don't suffer along with a weak battery. It's hard on the electrical components of the bike. Same with cars, btw.

There are decent AGM batteries at Sam's Club and many other vendors. I wouldn't overspend at the dealer for a battery. They are not better.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side side of the bike to run a switched air pump; The fancy tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Compared to insurance, tires, oil, filters, fuel, etc a new battery every 3y is pretty small potatoes. I changed mine out at 3y just to avoid getting stranded somewhere for no good reason.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in