Just picked up a 2009 R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EvilTwin
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Unread Jun 30th, 2019, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Just picked up a 2009 R1200RT

Howdy. Just picked up a new to me RT. I'm coming from a couple of different bikes, a Honda Silverwing as well as a Can Am RT. I also had a smaller Kawasaki 500 for a few months before deciding it wasnt for me.

I bought the bike from it's original owner with all the service records. It was in pristine shape with just one scratch on the front fairing and about 27K miles. Came with the top box, tank bag and a upgraded screen. I've had it out for one longer ride so far and I really like how it handles and the power from the motor. But I am inseam challenged and need to do something with the seat height. So I'm looking for a low seat to replace the standard seat and am open to suggestions. I may also put some lowered pegs on it as well.

A few pics of my new baby:

On the trailer at the sellers house:

In the garage:

A bit crowded for now:

tonyt.0906 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Unread Jun 30th, 2019, 6:37 am

Re: Just picked up a 2009 R1200RT

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located in Virginia? Also, any problems pulling the bike and trailer with your MB? I have a 2006 cdi that I use with a trailer.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Unread Jun 30th, 2019, 8:26 am

Evil... welcome on board.

The '09 is a great choice. By the way that is in the Family known as Hexheads... based on the layout of the head bolt configuration. This is also known as one of the best year bikes... as far as I and many others are concerned. This "family" includes the '05-'09's...

Based on my recollection there was only one minor family-issue... that being the Fuel Pump Controller collar had a tendency to crack/fail. The factory and some independent sources had/have a tiny collar that can be fitted over the FPC to cure/prevent there being an issue. Took about 15 minutes to install and cost about $3.00. Other than that they are easy to work on, and routine maintenance will ensure long and productive life span.

Regarding the leg/seat issue... I too am vertically challenged and found that the BMW Factory Low seat solved the issue. I also enjoyed the various brands available of the Peg Lowering kits...

Do your regular maintenance and all will be well... especially learn how to do the final drive service. Easy, and relatively entertaining.

Congratulations. I had an ''05 and I have been thinking- recently- I wish I still had it... (I traded it for the '14 which is now for sale the Denver BMW Dealership)

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”

post #4 of 14 Unread Jun 30th, 2019, 8:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

A good choice and a great motorcycle. Enjoy it!

https://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #5 of 14 Unread Jun 30th, 2019, 10:53 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean View Post
A good choice and a great motorcycle. Enjoy it!

https://bmwdean.com/r1200rt.htm

HOLY CRAP... What happened here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ridealaska.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	152961  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 14 Unread Jul 1st, 2019, 7:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
HOLY CRAP... What happened here?
"An R1200RT battling the elements during a trip through Zion National Park, Utah."

Turns out it wasn't a GS.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #113 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #7 of 14 Unread Jul 1st, 2019, 11:48 am

Grats!! And who knew.... RT doesn't fare as well as a GS in the mud and dirt lol
post #8 of 14 Unread Jul 4th, 2019, 5:39 pm

I am also the new owner of a 2009 rt. I was to bring it home today, but the weather here is SE Michigan did not cooperate. It has the low seat, but not the low suspension. I am pretty sure, but not positive, that I will find that I would prefer a not-low seat. Perhaps we could trade? It is heated, and I picture it as perfect, though wouldn't swear to it without another look. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to decide for sure. I tried to PM, but rules here do not allow us new members to do so.
post #9 of 14 Unread Jul 5th, 2019, 6:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkcimsb View Post
I am also the new owner of a 2009 rt. I was to bring it home today, but the weather here is SE Michigan did not cooperate. It has the low seat, but not the low suspension. I am pretty sure, but not positive, that I will find that I would prefer a not-low seat. Perhaps we could trade? It is heated, and I picture it as perfect, though wouldn't swear to it without another look. It will probably take me a couple of weeks to decide for sure. I tried to PM, but rules here do not allow us new members to do so.

I would be willing to swap mine for a low, it is also heated and in perfect shape. Just let me know.
post #10 of 14 Unread Jul 5th, 2019, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I've put about 200 miles on the bike so far and love it. This thing loves the highway, I looked down and the speedo yesterday and realized I was doing about 75 and didnt even feel it.
post #11 of 14 Unread Jul 10th, 2019, 7:17 pm

Well, it didn't take two weeks to decide. Rode it home Sunday, and got out today for about an hour and a half. I am certain that I would be more comfortable on a standard height seat. With this low seat all the way up, a standard all the way down is only .7 inches higher, so I don't think I can go wrong. I forgot I had disconnected it to inspect it, so I thought I was going to tell you that I didn't think the heat worked. Had to laugh when I remembered. I'll check that next ride. Otherwise the seat has no cuts or obvious marks. The things to mention are these: there are two short cuts on the underside right at the rear, maybe each is 1/2 inch. They are so perfectly symmetrical that I wonder if all seats have them. It doesn't look like they could have been caused by the rear seat tucking under. Air pressure relief? Or defect? Perhaps others or you will know. Also, the fabric of the seat is not perfectly smooth, there is a subtle transverse ripple right where your jewels rest. I also don't know if this is normal. As you can see, the crease doesn't even show up in the picture. And there are marks on the right side where apparently the inner seam of my or his jeans have marked the fabric. These may be difficult to photograph as they are hard to see. I'm guessing this is normal. I'm going to use some cleaner I have on it and see if these marks are affected.

If others would comment on these unknowns I would greatly appreciate it.

The bike has 42k miles. Very meticulous owner, couldn't find a better owner to buy from.

If you want to move forward on this I will photograph the whole business. Or will do so anyhow if you need that to decide...

(I had a r1200c for years, and knew the whole time this is what I should have bought. Boy was I right about that...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r1200rt right.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	153305  
post #12 of 14 Unread Jul 11th, 2019, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

You can send me an Email to my gmail account to coordinate. Username is aquino dot bob at gmail dot com. Since both of our post counts are so low, we cant do PM's.
post #13 of 14 Unread Today, 8:59 am

Hey. Did you lose interest in this? No reply to my email or you never got it. Since I sent it I have acquired another low seat, this one is perfect. Couldn't pass it up for the price and I want a core for an eventual Russell. Have you seen their picture gallery with the backrests? Want one bad.
Oh, and I now know that the two little cuts I described were defects, not breathers.
Anyhow, still interested in trading... elkcims(at)gmail.com
post #14 of 14 Unread Today, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Sorry, I never got any email. I picked up a used Sargent low seat from a guy on a different forum, so I'm not going to need a second one. Good luck finding what you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in