Handle bar risers - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 5:27 am Thread Starter

Handle bar risers

Greeting all, I'm new to the forum so 1st time posting. I have 2014RT any suggestions on handle bar risers or bar replacement out there that dont look like a total mistake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 10:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Handle bar risers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowilly View Post
Greeting all, I'm new to the forum so 1st time posting. I have 2014RT any suggestions on handle bar risers or bar replacement out there that dont look like a total mistake?
Installed these with the remover kit as well. Received my deposit back a couple of days after it was shipped. If you buy, be sure to follow the written instructions as well as the video. You need to remove some of the paint on the original handle bars when reinserting them into the risers.

I didn't have to disconnect the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R1200RT-R12...1n2kGJcSOneevk
Attached Files
File Type: pdf McCauley Bar Risers.pdf (5.13 MB, 57 views)

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #3 of 53 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks PMitchell.Very close in design to the helibar risers, I like that he addressed the problem of rotation due to fwd pressure.Think I'll give them a closer look.

post #4 of 53 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 6:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I use Ilium bar backs on all my RTs.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorc...30-500&pID=103
Pabst likes this.

Jeff Dean
Tucson, Arizona, & Madison, Wisconsin

Founder, Madison (Wisconsin) BMW Club, #1 (1968)
Co-founder, BMW Motorcycle Owners of America, #115 (1972)
Co-founder, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners, #2 (1972)
Co-founder, Wooden Canoe Heritage Association, #1 (1979)
Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Chief Instructor (1994)
Friend of the Marque, BMW Clubs International Council (1999)
Prof. Gerhard Knöchlein BMW Classic Award (2013)
R1200RT • R1250RT • 1967 R60/2
post #5 of 53 Old Jun 30th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Iliumworks here.
post #6 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 7:54 am

I recently installed ilium works as well. Pretty easy install, their removal tool works well and makes life easier.
jeffdean likes this.

2014 R1200RT - Quartz blue metallic
2010 Kawasaki VN900

-CT USA-
post #7 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Installed these with the remover kit as well. Received my deposit back a couple of days after it was shipped. If you buy, be sure to follow the written instructions as well as the video. You need to remove some of the paint on the original handle bars when reinserting them into the risers.

I didn't have to disconnect the battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTT3Q8A-kWE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R1200RT-R12...1n2kGJcSOneevk
Mr McCauley (ebay - gun inventor) advertises the installation kit on ebay with a pre paid return shipping label included. Label was not included in the kit (not needed on my '18 RT) and getting the run around from him on the label. Refused to pay me to ship and then decided to "ship me a label" - Rude fellow to deal with - will update when/if I receive the shipping label.

Label received via email 7/2 (said he would mail label on 6/26) - will update again when funds refunded

Last edited by tactical1; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 5:56 am.
post #8 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical1 View Post
Mr McCauley advertises the installation kit on ebay with a pre paid return shipping label included. Label was not included in the kit (not needed on my '18 RT) and getting the run around from him on the label. Refused to pay me to ship and then decided to "ship me a label" - Rude fellow to deal with - will update when/if I receive the shipping label.
Some dealers have the Ilium tool to loan. Iron Horse in Tucson has it for free loan.

Jeff Dean

post #9 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 9:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Mr McCauley advertises the installation kit on ebay with a pre paid return shipping label included. Label was not included in the kit (not needed on my '18 RT) and getting the run around from him on the label. Refused to pay me to ship and then decided to "ship me a label" - Rude fellow to deal with - will update when/if I receive the shipping label.
My experience was totally opposite. Just saying . . .

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #10 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 11:51 am

Do I really need the removal tool or could I put in a long bolt and tap it out?

Thanks.
post #11 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 12:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt65804 View Post

Thanks.
Sorry. I cannot answer you. I used "the tool."

Jeff Dean

post #12 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 12:45 pm

I always thought I had the ilium works bar risers, but mine look nothing like what is on their site..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Risers.png
Views:	103
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	152967  
post #13 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 3:32 pm

From the eBay guy, guninventor, I was going to buy the risers and mirror set and asked him to ship them together to save postage. He said he would ship together but, "at no savings to you."

The install kit, risers, and mirror kit will fit in a cheap flat rate box, but he still wants $35.

I told him to go pound sand.
tactical1 likes this.
post #14 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 3:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabish View Post
I always thought I had the ilium works bar risers, but mine look nothing like what is on their site..
Heli Risers
Kabish likes this.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #15 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 4:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Heli Risers
Hey lookie there they are the same Dealer told me they were Ilium lol they were on the bike when I bought it.

Thanks!
post #16 of 53 Old Jul 1st, 2019, 4:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Thanks.
It's a pressed in fit. Don't think you can extract it any other way except with a special tool.

pm
--
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2016 Spain & Portugal

'18 R1200RTW
Sold in '67

post #17 of 53 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 5:58 am

Quote:
It's a pressed in fit. Don't think you can extract it any other way except with a special tool.
2018 RT - on mine, both sides popped out when the bolt was removed - did not use the tool - YMMV
post #18 of 53 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 7:59 am

Quote:

Thanks.
Mine were in pretty tight on my '14RT, I was glad to have the tool; less likely to do damage and made the task pretty easy with less risk. Some people have no problem without the tool but mine were pretty tight.

2014 R1200RT - Quartz blue metallic
2010 Kawasaki VN900

-CT USA-
post #19 of 53 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 3:15 pm

Quote:
My experience was totally opposite. Just saying . . .
My experience with guninventor was really good. Since I live in the Bay Area I took him up on his eBay listing offer to have him install the risers at his shop for a nominal fee on my 2019 1250RT. The extraction tool was definitely needed for both sides. I also had the mirrors installed at the same time. I’m really glad I bought the mirrors and use them exclusively now.
PMitchell likes this.
post #20 of 53 Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 4:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My old R1150RT was one of the most comfortable bikes that I've ever owned, but not doing quite so well with my '18 R1200RT - getting quite a lot of muscle stiffness and quasi-cramping between my shoulders, so I'm trying bar-backs to see if that helps. Ancient wisdom was narrower bars a la R100RS but obviously that's not an option.

Could someone provide the following dimensions please - for standard bars alone and/or with Ilium bar-backs, or whatever else you might have. A little help which might help anyone else making decisions.

Any yes, I know that this next one is the wrong bike but could only find a top view of an old model

Distance B should be center of bar end weight to tip of the rack.

With Wunderlich bar-backs, the dimensions are for 1' 10-1/16" center of bolt to center of bolt, for A, and 4' 7" for B.

In theory, left & right should be the same, but...

Thanks,

Alex

BTW, I hear from Ilium that Distance B their 1250RT is 4' 8" which I think should be the same for the 1200 probably. He couldn't answer the Distance A part as the 1250 apparently doesn't have the same referenced bolt.
post #21 of 53 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowilly View Post
No. They all look like poo.
mt65804 and feisty like this.
post #22 of 53 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 2:07 pm

I dunno, I thought the Heli ones looked pretty good. I always thought I had the Ilium till I saw a photo of them, I think those do look a little odd.
post #23 of 53 Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 4:54 pm

I like my Iliums because I can attach my phone clamp and my gopro mount on them.
LAF and RJPsRT like this.
post #24 of 53 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:21 am

Quote:
Mr McCauley (ebay - gun inventor) advertises the installation kit on ebay with a pre paid return shipping label included. Label was not included in the kit (not needed on my '18 RT) and getting the run around from him on the label. Refused to pay me to ship and then decided to "ship me a label" - Rude fellow to deal with - will update when/if I receive the shipping label.

Label received via email 7/2 (said he would mail label on 6/26) - will update again when funds refunded
Illium offers the kit and ships it with the bars and a return scheme. That's what I did and it went well.

I think Illium makes the best bars...value for money spent etc.

SpinDog likes this.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #25 of 53 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTOUR View Post
No. They all look like poo.
This, from a person who has never gone more than 150 miles on a bike in one day.

Bar-baks are worth it on a 1200 RT LC. I don't know about 1250s yet, but I've done trips both ways on my '17. I'll take bar-baks, thank-you.

Looking like poo is better than feeling like poo at the end of a riding day.

Pabst likes this.

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side of the bike to run a switched air pump; another for heated gear; the fancy BMW tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #26 of 53 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Quote:
I've only seen the Heli Bar Risers on one RTW and it was at Max BMW last month. Honestly they look similar to the Illium Works but I think they are a bit cleaner of a look. But I do believe they cost more.

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #27 of 53 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 2:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
I don't know about 1250s yet, but I've done trips both ways on my '17. I'll take bar-baks, thank-you.
The Ilium bar backs work fine on R1250RTs. See photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ilium handlebars.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	800.6 KB
ID:	153159  

Jeff Dean

post #28 of 53 Old Jul 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Installation kit received by seller 7/5; Complete refund received via paypal 7/6 -
post #29 of 53 Old Jul 7th, 2019, 9:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
This, from a person who has never gone more than 150 miles on a bike in one day
If you would like to bet your entire tiny bank account on that, I'm up for it.
post #30 of 53 Old Jul 7th, 2019, 12:17 pm

For my 2016 with Heli Barbacks installed.
All measurements on centerstand

Top pic, full right lock = 27” (2’ 3”)
Bot pic, handle end to rear = 54.5” (4’ 6.5”)

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #31 of 53 Old Jul 16th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Quote:
From the eBay guy, guninventor, I was going to buy the risers and mirror set and asked him to ship them together to save postage. He said he would ship together but, "at no savings to you."

The install kit, risers, and mirror kit will fit in a cheap flat rate box, but he still wants $35.

I told him to go pound sand.
I'd like to update this. I finally read a follow up email from guninventor and he said he'd ship everything in one box for $15. I said cool and will give him and his products a try. He says he ships same day so I hope to report back by the weekend.
ibbones likes this.
post #32 of 53 Old Jul 25th, 2019, 3:33 pm

I got everything installed and the tool send back, my refund was process and everything went smooth. There was no return label for the install tool in the box but he added the return shipping onto the refund. I've got the risers on and really like them. The OEM bars were a bitch to get out and the risers didn't slide right in but all was well in the end.

I took everything for a test ride and didn't care for having a second set of mirrors. I'd sell these for $85 shipped to the CONUS if anyone is interested. They will work with the OEM driving light switch.

These risers are a great alternative at $150. Get the TOOL!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	26938228-6a1c-41b0-8403-85e3e0a8ad3b.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	875.4 KB
ID:	153603  
post #33 of 53 Old Jul 25th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean View Post

+1 on the ilium bar backs; just be sure to get the refundable puller

Karl

2016 R1200RT-LC San Marino Blue (The Alien)

2008 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (Wife's)

2014 K1600GTL Gray (traded)

2011 R1200RT Silver/Black (traded)
post #34 of 53 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 3:15 pm

Ilium are good to go. Like others mentioned go with the handle bar removal tool first time around. I’m 5’7 with a 30” inseam,170#. Game changer.
post #35 of 53 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 5:57 pm

+1 on the guninventor risers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	74FB8838-4A1C-4E16-AD98-67E9B00290E6.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	871.7 KB
ID:	153691  
post #36 of 53 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 1:47 am

Quote:
I got everything installed and the tool send back, my refund was process and everything went smooth. There was no return label for the install tool in the box but he added the return shipping onto the refund. I've got the risers on and really like them. The OEM bars were a bitch to get out and the risers didn't slide right in but all was well in the end.

I took everything for a test ride and didn't care for having a second set of mirrors. I'd sell these for $85 shipped to the CONUS if anyone is interested. They will work with the OEM driving light switch.

These risers are a great alternative at $150. Get the TOOL!
What benefits do you get with adding the extra mirrors?? I personally love the stock mirrors, I think they are probably the best mirrors I've had on a bike. That said, I've never sat on a RT with the extra mirrors to compare.
post #37 of 53 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 6:43 am

I bought the mirrors to try them and didn't like it. I've got them for sale for $85.
post #38 of 53 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 9:53 am

Quote:
What benefits do you get with adding the extra mirrors?? I personally love the stock mirrors, I think they are probably the best mirrors I've had on a bike. That said, I've never sat on a RT with the extra mirrors to compare.
For me the added mirrors allow a wider view of both side and directly behind me. Since there is no rear view mirror on the bike, I like that I have a better view behind me with the added mirrors in case some vehicle sneaks up behind me. It keeps my head and eyes looking straight ahead more of the time without having to look down at the stock mirrors to see what is to the side. I feel the added mirrors give a better view of both sides than stock. Also after adding the handle bar risers I noticed my hands block a little of the stock mirror view. I now look at the added mirrors exclusively and never look at the stock mirrors.
post #39 of 53 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am

Update:

After riding in the rain, the bolts that guninventor shipped with the kit are rusting. Also the risers are rusting where I scratched them while putting them on.

Edit: Some of the brown came off the risers so it may just be the paint?

Last edited by mt65804; Aug 3rd, 2019 at 4:52 pm.
post #40 of 53 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Quote:

I got these ones but they don't bring the bars back enough for me.

I wish I could find something that does
post #41 of 53 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The Wunderlich move the bars slightly further back, but only by about 1/2" or so, and unfortunately for a lot more money.

It's easy to order online from outside the US and save a lot of money for both Wunderlich & Touratech. Including postage I think I cut the overall cost of goodies for both RT & GS (very fully farkled) by a good 30%, and a lot more for some items. For example, the Wunderlich screen in the US is $399 + postage, I bought mine for $285 including US delivery. I like Wunderlich stuff, but their prices in the US are ridiculous. Another example: brake pedal enlarger: $91 + postage in the US, $61 delivered to US from France.

'18 R1200RT • '77 Laverda Jota • '74 Norton 850 Mk IIa • '82 R100RS
post #42 of 53 Old Aug 5th, 2019, 4:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexol View Post
The Wunderlich move the bars slightly further back, but only by about 1/2" or so, and unfortunately for a lot more money.
Yes, I REALLY like the Wunderlich ones. but SO expensive. I can't see how they justify the cost.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #43 of 53 Old Aug 5th, 2019, 9:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Yes, I REALLY like the Wunderlich ones. but SO expensive. I can't see how they justify the cost.
Everthing Wunderlich sells is crazy expensive. I don't buy their stuff any more. I could afford it, but I don't like its unfair pricing.

Take the following obscenity:

Leather Key Case, Brown (#44115900) K1600 GT 44115900 | BMW Wunderlich America

Jeff Dean

post #44 of 53 Old Aug 5th, 2019, 10:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Everthing Wunderlich sells is crazy expensive. I don't buy their stuff any more. I could afford it, but I don't like its unfair pricing.

Take the following obscenity:

Leather Key Case, Brown (#44115900) K1600 GT 44115900 | BMW Wunderlich America
$32 in Europe... Still expensive but not the loony-tunes $55 we 'enjoy' here.

Have to agree with Bandytales, too - those risers are good but stupid expensive, even buying from Europe. But they are priced that way because people will buy them. No need to justify anything. The way it works is you keep boosting prices until people stop buying, then turn the wick down slightly.

Interesting article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_point (only if this sort of thing interests you, obviously).

We vote with our wallets.

'18 R1200RT • '77 Laverda Jota • '74 Norton 850 Mk IIa • '82 R100RS
post #45 of 53 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 11:59 am

Quote:
Update:

After riding in the rain, the bolts that guninventor shipped with the kit are rusting. Also the risers are rusting where I scratched them while putting them on.

Edit: Some of the brown came off the risers so it may just be the paint?
Well it cant be the risers rusting and I don't understand how it can be paint.
Guninventor says the risers are made from heat treated 7075 aerospace alloy which sure doesn't rust.
He then goes on to say that the surface finish is black anodized, which again doesn't wash off. So I don't know. Unless of course it is the serrated belville washer that is rusting (quite possible).
Disappointing that the supplied bolts are rusting. I don't know why he says the OEM bolts should not be used again. Are they a different length?

post #46 of 53 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Installed these (guninventor bar risers) ...
Do these risers allow for any forward or rearward adjustment?

Are you still happy with them?

post #47 of 53 Old Oct 9th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
Do these risers allow for any forward or rearward adjustment?

Are you still happy with them?
I am happy with mine.
Re needing the tool I am in Aus and didn't get the tool. Trick for mine was to heat the bars with a gentle paint remover tool or strong hair dryer. THe internal grab was caused by some type of "glue" that when heated made it very easy to remove.
post #48 of 53 Old Oct 10th, 2019, 3:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilergy View Post
I am happy with mine.
Re needing the tool I am in Aus and didn't get the tool. Trick for mine was to heat the bars with a gentle paint remover tool or strong hair dryer. THe internal grab was caused by some type of "glue" that when heated made it very easy to remove.
Thanks for that.
Also, can you get any forward or back adjustment?

post #49 of 53 Old Oct 11th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Declaration: possible R&D Interest but first I will like to know the number of BMW models and years that feature this clamp system..

I'm pretty sure I have a much better solution, but it need to make "Business sense" before I start to work on prototyping, design, etc
post #50 of 53 Old Oct 11th, 2019, 11:32 pm

It naturally is a bit backwards because they retain the "slope" of the bars. I kept it in line but I guess you could have it further back if wanted. I'm not technical so best talk to Mr McCauley. He was helpful for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in