BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Handle bar risers

14K views 57 replies 23 participants last post by  mikefmoto 
#1 ·
Greeting all, I'm new to the forum so 1st time posting. I have 2014RT any suggestions on handle bar risers or bar replacement out there that dont look like a total mistake?

#2 ·
Installed these with the remover kit as well. Received my deposit back a couple of days after it was shipped. If you buy, be sure to follow the written instructions as well as the video. You need to remove some of the paint on the original handle bars when reinserting them into the risers.

I didn't have to disconnect the battery.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R1200RT-R1...4Mux_0Cbr0T3D9hLYY0xa1sUiKP-dAm1n2kGJcSOneevk

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Installed these with the remover kit as well. Received my deposit back a couple of days after it was shipped. If you buy, be sure to follow the written instructions as well as the video. You need to remove some of the paint on the original handle bars when reinserting them into the risers.

I didn't have to disconnect the battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTT3Q8A-kWE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/R1200RT-R1...4Mux_0Cbr0T3D9hLYY0xa1sUiKP-dAm1n2kGJcSOneevk
Mr McCauley (ebay - gun inventor) advertises the installation kit on ebay with a pre paid return shipping label included. Label was not included in the kit (not needed on my '18 RT) and getting the run around from him on the label. Refused to pay me to ship and then decided to "ship me a label" - Rude fellow to deal with - will update when/if I receive the shipping label.

Label received via email 7/2 (said he would mail label on 6/26) - will update again when funds refunded

#4 ·
Reactions: Bill and Pabst
#11 ·
Sorry. I cannot answer you. I used "the tool."

#13 ·
From the eBay guy, guninventor, I was going to buy the risers and mirror set and asked him to ship them together to save postage. He said he would ship together but, "at no savings to you."

The install kit, risers, and mirror kit will fit in a cheap flat rate box, but he still wants $35.

I told him to go pound sand.

#20 ·
My old R1150RT was one of the most comfortable bikes that I've ever owned, but not doing quite so well with my '18 R1200RT - getting quite a lot of muscle stiffness and quasi-cramping between my shoulders, so I'm trying bar-backs to see if that helps. Ancient wisdom was narrower bars a la R100RS but obviously that's not an option.

Could someone provide the following dimensions please - for standard bars alone and/or with Ilium bar-backs, or whatever else you might have. A little help which might help anyone else making decisions.

Any yes, I know that this next one is the wrong bike but could only find a top view of an old model

Distance B should be center of bar end weight to tip of the rack.

With Wunderlich bar-backs, the dimensions are for 1' 10-1/16" center of bolt to center of bolt, for A, and 4' 7" for B.

In theory, left & right should be the same, but...

Thanks,

Alex

BTW, I hear from Ilium that Distance B their 1250RT is 4' 8" which I think should be the same for the 1200 probably. He couldn't answer the Distance A part as the 1250 apparently doesn't have the same referenced bolt.

#25 ·
This, from a person who has never gone more than 150 miles on a bike in one day.

Bar-baks are worth it on a 1200 RT LC. I don't know about 1250s yet, but I've done trips both ways on my '17. I'll take bar-baks, thank-you.

Looking like poo is better than feeling like poo at the end of a riding day.

:)

Reactions: Pabst
#32 ·
I got everything installed and the tool send back, my refund was process and everything went smooth. There was no return label for the install tool in the box but he added the return shipping onto the refund. I've got the risers on and really like them. The OEM bars were a bitch to get out and the risers didn't slide right in but all was well in the end.

I took everything for a test ride and didn't care for having a second set of mirrors. I'd sell these for $85 shipped to the CONUS if anyone is interested. They will work with the OEM driving light switch.

These risers are a great alternative at $150. Get the TOOL!

Attachments

#45 ·
Well it cant be the risers rusting and I don't understand how it can be paint.
Guninventor says the risers are made from heat treated 7075 aerospace alloy which sure doesn't rust.
He then goes on to say that the surface finish is black anodized, which again doesn't wash off. So I don't know. Unless of course it is the serrated belville washer that is rusting (quite possible).
Disappointing that the supplied bolts are rusting. I don't know why he says the OEM bolts should not be used again. Are they a different length?

#41 ·
The Wunderlich move the bars slightly further back, but only by about 1/2" or so, and unfortunately for a lot more money.

It's easy to order online from outside the US and save a lot of money for both Wunderlich & Touratech. Including postage I think I cut the overall cost of goodies for both RT & GS (very fully farkled) by a good 30%, and a lot more for some items. For example, the Wunderlich screen in the US is $399 + postage, I bought mine for $285 including US delivery. I like Wunderlich stuff, but their prices in the US are ridiculous. Another example: brake pedal enlarger: $91 + postage in the US, $61 delivered to US from France.

#53 ·
I have Ilium crash bars front and rear since the bike was new.It was the first item added. Last night while having an evening cocktail I made an order for Ilium barbacks and a tool rental. I picked standard USPS for delivery and Ilium bumped it to two day. So Friday or Saturday will be my install. Can't wait.

#55 ·
I didn't get that either. Ive installed these on 2 bikes now and whilst it may be beneficial its not critical IMO.
My method was to use a flat tool as a guide.
Simply align it from the bars themselves up to the new riser. The slope angle was continued from the bars to the risers. (hope this makes sense)
It s a bit fidly as they can move as you tighten so be aware of that.
Eventually got it and love them. They've made a huge difference.
Im toying with the idea of even moving them further back to see if that makes a difference. Concerned it may affect reality of handling ability?

#58 ·
I didn't get that either. Ive installed these on 2 bikes now and whilst it may be beneficial its not critical IMO.

My method was to use a flat tool as a guide.

Simply align it from the bars themselves up to the new riser. The slope angle was continued from the bars to the risers. (hope this makes sense)

It s a bit fidly as they can move as you tighten so be aware of that.

Eventually got it and love them. They've made a huge difference.

Im toying with the idea of even moving them further back to see if that makes a difference. Concerned it may affect reality of handling ability?
I was able to get everything sorted and guninventor explained they weren't needed. Everything went perfectly and they're great.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

#56 ·
The Heli risers worked for me. Their design is a fixed position, as they incorporate a notched locking bar on bottom side that fits into a raised seam on lower side of center handlebar assy, which prevents any possible rotation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.