• 2 Post By DanDiver
  • 1 Post By LIRider
  • 2 Post By wethead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 1:03 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Repair or Replace Tire

I have brand new Conti tires (less than 300 miles) and the rear tire helped clean up a roofing contractor's nail. It's right in the middle of the tire. A couple of bike dealers in the area won't help with the repair, citing "liability concerns."

Even if I do repair it well (like, from the inside of the tire using the right kit) and find someone to install the tire again, should I? Not an easy question to answer, I know. It's about risk. What I don't know is the experience others have had.

I suspect this will fall into the same category of asking what's the best oil to use....

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Re: Repair or Replace Tire

If it was me, I would put one of those string (rope) type plugs into the tire and call it a day.
DanDiver, AttackPug and Hfjeff like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wArt View Post
I have brand new Conti tires (less than 300 miles) and the rear tire helped clean up a roofing contractor's nail. It's right in the middle of the tire. A couple of bike dealers in the area won't help with the repair, citing "liability concerns."

Even if I do repair it well (like, from the inside of the tire using the right kit) and find someone to install the tire again, should I? Not an easy question to answer, I know. It's about risk. What I don't know is the experience others have had.

I suspect this will fall into the same category of asking what's the best oil to use....
I had the same issue on a ride. No one would touch it because they said they where not mechanics and would not take the wheel off. They would fix the tire if I took the wheel off however but I didn't have the tools on the road. So I put a dog turd in it for the rest of the 1500km ride and when I got back my local motorbike shop repaired it properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012

post #4 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 2:25 pm

I used a "slug" plug on my old bike when I got a nail with new tires. Had zero issues and ran the tire down till it was time to replace it. No one will recomend doing it as you only have two wheels, if one has a catastrophic failure because of the plug you are screwed.

I tried the "fancy" Dynaplugs, those were garbage from my experience although it says "permanent" repair.
post #5 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Garage

Had the same thing happen to me a little over a year ago. I bought a new tire and had the shop replace it, they gave me the damaged tire and sold me an internal plug/patch (told me they couldn't plug it due to liability but would put the tire on with the plug installed by me). When the newer tire was due to be replaced, I plugged the older one and had the shop mount it. I got over 6000 miles from the plugged tire with no issues at all. The internal plug/patch is pretty robust.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #6 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 3:02 pm

I had an independent motorcycle tire shop plug my near-new Michelin Road five a month ago. Used one of those mushroom plugs and it seems very solid. Not leaking any air, so I'm not worried about it. On a tire with only 300 miles and a clean nail in the center of the tread, I wouldn't worry about having it plugged. Just keep an eye on it for leakage.

Those contractor's nails are the worst because the large head and short shaft makes them pop up when you run over them and skewer the tire. Ouch!
wArt and alegerlotz like this.
post #7 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 3:24 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiRyder View Post
I bought a new tire and had the shop replace it, they gave me the damaged tire and sold me an internal plug/patch (told me they couldn't plug it due to liability but would put the tire on with the plug installed by me). When the newer tire was due to be replaced, I plugged the older one and had the shop mount it.
That's not a bad idea and something I hadn't thought of.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #8 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 5:37 pm

Garage

Quote:

I have a Stop-n-Go repair kit. I've never had to use it on my bike, but I have on the left front wheel of my 2016 Pilot. More than 10,000 miles later and ridden for long distance in the heat at 85 mph and everything is still going strong.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #9 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Plug it yourself. I got over a thousand miles on a temporary plug once to get me home from the alps. Once I got home I decided to keep it until the tyre was ready to be replaced. I used the Tip Top repair kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wArt likes this.
post #10 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Long time ago, in Germany, right before i was to leave on a long weekend trip to Swiss Alps, picked up large screw, centerline of rear HD tire. Plugged with rope plug and went on trip. No issues, when I traded bike 1.5 yrs later, plug was still in rear tire !
wArt likes this.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #11 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Garage

I recently had something similar happen (on a tire with many more miles). Since I had the BMWMOA road hazard warranty, and they were willing to pay for replacement, I did that... eventually.

The problem was that the tire was on back order in the US (Continental RoadAttack 3 GT) so I would have had to wait for a month for the new tire. My independent dismounted the tire, plugged it from the inside, and remounted it. $28 since I just brought him the rim and tire, vs riding in.

In a few weeks when the new tire was available, I got the free replacement (and did the front tire at the same time).

I would *absolutely* do a plug installed from the inside of the tire if I were in your situation. I had no issues during the time I was riding on mine.

I also carry an emergency pump and the cord plugs you can install from the outside. I would not hesitate to use it in an emergency, and then get an inside plug installed in the tire after that.

Good luck!
wArt and reg26 like this.

2016 R1200RT
2007 KTM 450 XC-W (10/17 - 5/18)
2005 R1200RT (2/2015 - 12/2016)
1987 K100RS (12/2015 - 12/2016)
1985 Yamaha XJ 700 Maxim (7/1989 - 9/1991)
post #12 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Another successful plugging story.
Newish rear tyre with 80% wear left at the time of the puncture.
Took the tyre off then to an independent bike shop.
Mushroom plugged from the inside which cost 20% of the cost of a replacement tyre.
0 - 0 = 0
8 - 2 = 6
Saved 60% of the cost of a new tyre and it went for another 12000 km.

Ian
wArt and alegerlotz like this.

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
post #13 of 33 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 10:32 pm

I personally plugged the rear tire of a HD with the string and glue stuff. Rode at least another 5,000 miles before the tire was fully worn and replaced. During the remaining tire life, the air pressures never changed more than normal... AKA, the plug wasnít leaking.

Witnessed a FRONT tire ďprofessionallyĒ plugged at a shop on a 600ish pound Burgman Scooter on a trip months ago. We all finished that Tail of the Dragon trip and he has gone on a couple more big trips with freeway speeds and lots of twisties and the tire is still A-OK.

As long as the hole wasnít too far off center (same way I would approach a car tire repair), I would repair and keep on riding. I was told that it is important to trim the string repair closely to the current tread. I donít know if it matters but easy enough to use a little razor and complete. (I guess the theory is that if a string extends way past normal tread could grip the pavement and pull the string out.)

Good luck with your decision and please report back with your decision.
wArt likes this.

Doug L.
2014 R1200RT. 57,000+

Previous...
2000 Harley Davidson Dyna Convertible. 101K miles (Gone)
1982 Honda V45 Magna. 45K miles (Gone)
post #14 of 33 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 1:31 am

Seems like every time I split lanes I get a nail. I've used the sticky rope and at one time I had 3 plugs in one tire and never had a problem.
post #15 of 33 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabst View Post
Seems like every time I split lanes I get a nail. I've used the sticky rope and at one time I had 3 plugs in one tire and never had a problem.
Most of the metal road trash seems to move to the sides .... I see a lot of it on my bicycle.
Patric and RJPsRT like this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #16 of 33 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 8:43 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
I recently had something similar happen (on a tire with many more miles). Since I had the BMWMOA road hazard warranty, and they were willing to pay for replacement, I did that... eventually.

The problem was that the tire was on back order in the US (Continental RoadAttack 3 GT) so I would have had to wait for a month for the new tire. My independent dismounted the tire, plugged it from the inside, and remounted it. $28 since I just brought him the rim and tire, vs riding in.

In a few weeks when the new tire was available, I got the free replacement (and did the front tire at the same time).

I would *absolutely* do a plug installed from the inside of the tire if I were in your situation. I had no issues during the time I was riding on mine.

I also carry an emergency pump and the cord plugs you can install from the outside. I would not hesitate to use it in an emergency, and then get an inside plug installed in the tire after that.

Good luck!
I went with the MOA tire insurance as I've had more flats on my RT than any other motorcycle I have owned. I run PR4's and for the last 15 years have been using this stuff
and have never been stuck again. It also does balance your tires also.
Here is a great video about both.
post #17 of 33 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 11:17 am

Repair or Replace Tire

Considering the location, add my vote to plugging the tire and riding it.

If you have a TPMS system it will also alert you if you start losing pressure in that tire.

I had to plug a tire last year, and just put new tires on last week. The plug never caused any problems.

My RT didnít come factory-equipped with TPMS, but I have a Garmin 395 LM which will work with their tire pressure sensors. I bought a set of sensors after the plugging and installed them and itís been great peace of mind ever since.

Ride safe!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #18 of 33 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
If it was me, I would put one of those string (rope) type plugs into the tire and call it a day.
Yep - I used to replace tires when I hit a nail/screw. But, tried one of the tar rope plugs once and that tire lasted thousands of miles. Iíd try that first - quick, easy, and solid - at least in my experience.
post #19 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post

+1 to those string repairs. I have used it in several incidents and ridden them to the end of the tyre's life. Very pleased with them.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #20 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 9:55 am

If you haven't heard of or used the string repair kit made by The Nealey Co., give them a try. They make a permanent repair by creating ball inside the tire that can't pull through.

Check them out at:
https://www.nealeytirerepairkit.com/repair-kits

I've been using them for years and they are the best tire repair kit you can buy.

Bruce
post #21 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 10:03 am

I've done this twice now after picking up screws in a relatively new rear tire ... after a temporary Stop&Go mushroom plug to get me home, I used some pro tools obtained off eBay and a permanent mushroom plug like these which get vulcanized in place:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24Pcs-Car-T...t/223481694265

Repair lasted the remaining life of the tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	152637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1443.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	152639  
wArt likes this.

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
post #22 of 33 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 3:04 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I plugged a tire at 1000 miles with a stop and go mushroom and rode the tire out to all but 9K. So 8K on a plug and no issues.

If you plug a tire and it proves out holding air over time, IMHO it is good to go.

I once plugged a tire and knew when I ran the reamer I scraped a cord, so it held until I got where I needed to be and it was replaced.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #23 of 33 Old Jun 20th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Quote:

'17 R1200RTLC: Cobalt Black; V1; Sargent; Aeroflow Tall; Fused battery tap on right side side of the bike to run a switched air pump; The fancy tool-kit; Tire repair stuff; Fuel siphon; Duct Tape!!

'00 Aprilia RSV Mille R: CPU wire cut; Wolf Chip; Evolution air filter; Leo Vinci CF 2 into 1 exhaust; CycleCat adjustable bars, small tank bag, BMW outlet for charging the battery with Battery Tender... Bellissimo!
post #24 of 33 Old Jun 20th, 2019, 6:51 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
In the end I decided to patch the tire using a mushroom patch. It helps to have a friend who has a tire mounting system. Now I have to see whether I have to get it balanced. We forgot to mark where the tire was attached to the wheel. It's been nothing but rain in Chicagoland for, oh, months, so getting out on the bike is not an everyday opportunity.

The input from everybody above helped a lot in making that decision. And if it leaks later, then I just replace the tire.

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #25 of 33 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 8:41 pm

Which brings to mind my last experience with a nail/tire passing through Dallas.
No shop would repair the darn brand new PR4. I had to buy a new tire.

If I would have been at home, I would have taken it to the shop where they do an inside the tire patch which, in spite of all the kudos given on this thread to the worm-plug procedures, is not as good as an inside job.

The other consensus on a patched-up tire is toning down your speeds on a patched tired...something I cannot do while I am touring.
wArt and reg26 like this.
post #26 of 33 Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 3:29 pm

Garage

Lost my first rear tire at 600 miles the same way. I contemplated plugging and/or patching from the inside or both but in consideration of the fact that there are only two (2) tires on these things and tires don't often tend to go flat while parked rather under stress I would hate to have it go flat again while on the highway or somewhere away from home. Sure the expense is an inconvenience, but think of the expense if you go down at... well... any speed.
Have it replaced and be safe. Bring the bad one home and patch away if you feel like it and keep as a spare... or use the rubber in some other creative way around the house/garden.
post #27 of 33 Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
tires don't often tend to go flat while parked rather under stress
My experience is quite the opposite.
Each of the flats (4 or 5) I've had in the last 10 years with tubeless tyres have only been noticeable after the bike has been parked overnight.
Either it was hard work pushing the bike out of the shed or the TPM warning light came on as I rode off. My leaks with tubeless tyres have not been catastrophic but instead slow. So much so that the last time it happened I inflated the tyre back to its normal pressure, an hour later measured the pressure again to find it down only a couple of pounds, then rode it 30 minutes into a bike shop to get it repaired.

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
post #28 of 33 Old Yesterday, 6:10 pm

In my previous 55 years of riding I don't believe I've ever had a bike with a set of tires that went the full distance without having at least one tire repair plug in use.

Saved several annual trips with a quick "sticky rope" type of plug with NO problems running them until time for replacement.

Plugging a tire the very first time is a frustrating experience, but do a few of them and it becomes a source of pride when you drive away on the plugged result!

As I now have the MOA tire replacement thing, it's not quite as bad as before but in order to make it to a dealer to get the tire replacement, you still need to plug it!!

After our last big hurricane, the service repair trucks were dropping all kinds of junk on the roads. A flat tire twice a month was not uncommon. What a pain.

At least at home you can spend some quality time in your own garage while doing the rear tire plug.

AD

2014 BMW R1200RTw

IBA #3281 Blue Knights
Life AMA, ABATE, HOG, VHPA
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified NRA Instructor in a bunch of things
post #29 of 33 Old Yesterday, 7:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
... and for the last 15 years have been using this stuff
That doesn't look good for TPMS sensors does it?

I bought the DynaPlug kit and have used it a couple of times but I don't see how it could compare from a durability/safety standpoint to a mushroom plug type or some other kind of internally installed plug that can't migrate. Those sound really good provided the carcass has just a clean puncture.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Yesterday at 10:01 pm.
post #30 of 33 Old Yesterday, 8:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I always replace. JMHO

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #31 of 33 Old Today, 4:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapz View Post
I always replace. JMHO
Not me. I use the camel string stuff. Very impressed with it in all the flats me and my riding buddies have had.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #32 of 33 Old Today, 12:35 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

In the end, I suppose it comes down the level of risk one is comfortable with. I'm generally risk averse when it comes to riding but no one posted about bad experience with a repaired tire, so the risk seemed low. The pressure's stay steady since. Not even sure if I could find the repair now. If it was the sidewall, yeah, different conversation. The internal patch has proven a fine choice, though I was luck to have a friend with a tire changing apparatus. Not many can afford to replace a tire that they replaced only a month before.

Noel, just curious how the TPMS fits into this since it's really just measuring pressure, right? Unless, of course you inject some junk into the tire that coats the TPMS...

Stu

MOA #210140
Current
2016 BMW R1200RTP

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #33 of 33 Old Today, 3:53 pm

Garage

There is no problem with TPMS Noel ,they do however mention that it will mes up Honda Goldwings TPMS. Maz BMW said not to worry and if you watch the video you will see that it sticks to the inside of the tire. It is nothing like Slime which just sloches around and drips. When you remove the tire from the rim there is very little if anything on the rim

Tags
nail, repair, tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in