Lightbar inquiry - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2019, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Lightbar inquiry

I have a Trekker33 for a topcase.

What I am inquiring about is: Are there any lightbars around that would be canbus friendly (for a 2018 RT) and I could attach to this box on the pic--facing rearward to serve as a run/brake.

I looked at Admore...has anyone installed one of these on a late model RT?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trekker33.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	152541  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Re: Lightbar inquiry

Have you looked at something like the Billy lights? Doesn't actually attach to the top box, but it does increase brake visibility.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 14th, 2019, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabish View Post
Have you looked at something like the Billy lights? Doesn't actually attach to the top box, but it does increase brake visibility.
Got Billy already...looking for a light bar to mount on a Trekker 33...more lights

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Saw a video this morning at the BMWMOA National rally where someone got some Skene led lights and the control module and made a top case light... Was really cool looking.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgroover View Post
Saw a video this morning at the BMWMOA National rally where someone got some Skene led lights and the control module and made a top case light... Was really cool looking.

Sammy

Yeah, what about a pic, the video,a contact for this light bar wizard...just telling us about is worse than incomplete forrplay
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 4:21 pm

I also came across a video of a guy who did exactly this as well. Just bought some adhesive LED strips and stuck them on the top box and hooked it up into the control module. He had it setup so when he put on the breaks it would blink a few times, then it went solid. Was a really slick setup, however I can't find the video again... I was looking for it yesterday and was unsuccessful.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Here's one that uses the HexEZCam
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 16th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
Yeah, what about a pic, the video,a contact for this light bar wizard...just telling us about is worse than incomplete forrplay
Look on the Skene website, I'm sure it's on there.

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 5:54 am

Look at hyperlites. They make a variety of modules, including a 3-way running/turn/brake that could be mounted on the box

https://hyperlites.com/?page_id=268

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethead View Post
Got Billy already...looking for a light bar to mount on a Trekker 33...more lights
I have Denali lights instead of Clearwaters. Denali makes a brake module without the mounting holes (the B6 Flush Mount). They also make a Y-cable. I figured one day I'd get around to adding a flush mount to my stock top case and just splice a pigtail from the OEM harness to the plug on a Y-connector and the new light would work exactly the same as the existing B6 on the license plate mount.

Could you do something similar with a Clearwater Billy Jr.? Maybe just nip the mounting ears off, mount it with 3M VHB tape, and splice it into your existing Billy wiring? Probably easier than adding another whole controller.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2019, 4:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy_Squatch View Post
I have Denali lights instead of Clearwaters. Denali makes a brake module without the mounting holes (the B6 Flush Mount). They also make a Y-cable. I figured one day I'd get around to adding a flush mount to my stock top case and just splice a pigtail from the OEM harness to the plug on a Y-connector and the new light would work exactly the same as the existing B6 on the license plate mount.

Could you do something similar with a Clearwater Billy Jr.? Maybe just nip the mounting ears off, mount it with 3M VHB tape, and splice it into your existing Billy wiring? Probably easier than adding another whole controller.
I like those flush mount on the back of the saddle bags.

A couple of reluctances:

* I already have Clearwater Billy on the license plate with the Clearwater canbuster...not sure how would that work with a canbus opener from another company.

* I am very leery of putting holes on my saddle bags. Just in case one of them 2019 RT Romances me one of these days and I 'll have to trade my present '18 babe for a younger one.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 8:30 pm

My point was that you might be able to do something with a Clearwater product, not add another Debali controller. The Billy Jr. looks like it would flush-mount and look good if you nipped off the ears with the mounting holes.

2019 R1250RT Mars Red
  • Denali CANSmart
    • D4 driving lights
    • B6 brake light
    • SoundBomb Compact horn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in