R1200RT Fuel Pump Fuse? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2019, 1:53 pm Thread Starter

R1200RT Fuel Pump Fuse?

R 1200 RT 2005.
EDIT: Right now problem solved.
The power supply to the fuel pump will supply 12V as soon as you try to crank the engine.
Since the tank is off right now I cant start it but my guess is it will continue to provide 12v for the fuel pump as long as engine is running (alternator charging or equal indicator for it).

My fuel pump controller has burned up.
Now I have the controller off and I'm measuring the electricity on the cable that goes into the controller. The contact to the fuel pump controller has three cables one green, one brown and one blue/red, and no one combination gives me 12V. I only get 2.4V in one case, may be this is some back leaking electricity I do not know.

I have searched here to find out where the fuse for this fuel power is situated one place said it was on the right side under the fuel tank so I took the fuel tank off but still I can not find any fuse boxes.

I'm hesitating between buying a new fuel pump controller for over $200.- or just jump 12v directly to the fuel pump.
It would be neat to bypass it but I need the 12v on the cable weather I bypass or put in a new unit, may be the burning up of the fuel control unit blow the fuse for it.
Any help in finding the fuses will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_142620213.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	152499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190613_142346181.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	152501  

Last edited by HowSwede; Jun 13th, 2019 at 2:27 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Garage
Re: R1200RT Fuel Pump Fuse?

The R1200Rts do not have any fuses.
They use a CANBus system.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2019, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Thank you Dann

yes I just realized that. Since it doesn't get power to the fuel pump until you crank it, and stops when you stop cranking unless the engine start.
no fuel tank attached right now.
Do you know will it still be possible to jump the controller with the power from the controller connection? or do I need another 12v source?

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwede View Post
Thank you Dann

yes I just realized that. Since it doesn't get power to the fuel pump until you crank it, and stops when you stop cranking unless the engine start.
no fuel tank attached right now.
Do you know will it still be possible to jump the controller with the power from the controller connection? or do I need another 12v source?
Are you trying to bypass the controller to test the fuel pump or just test the controller?
If it's the pump, a friend tested his fuel pump with another 12 v source. If it's the controller, maybe you could use a gs-911 to activate the pump and get the voltage reading.

Ride safe!
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 13th, 2019, 8:05 pm

You may want something like this:
https://burnsmoto.com/products/bmw-m...p-bypass-cable

Here is another post to look at:
https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ass-cable.html

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Thank you Guys for helping me out.
My drive shaft broke and I had it replaced.
At the same time the BMW dealer did a fuel pump recall on my bike, this was free of course.
Then we took off to Sterling VA. To visit our son.
On the way back to Tellico Plains just south of the TN border the bike quit. Like turning of the ignition.
Luckily I as able to roll into a weight station exit just a few feet.
When trying to start the bike it started and run for 2-3 seconds and then dead again. If started immediately again it was dead. If I waited a couple of minutes it started and ran for 2-3 seconds again, this I could do a number of times.

I suspected the fuel pump of course since I have never had trouble this type before. I brought it home on my trailer the next day.
When at home I tried to start it a number of times with the same result.
Then I just by chance poured some STP water absorber in the tank and guess what it started and run perfectly. After having it idle and being started a number of times it seemed like water was the problem and problem gone.

Now I took the bike to town but after just 5 miles it stopped again just like a few days ago.
One more time on the trailer and back home. This time the STP didnít work at all it did not even try to start when cranked.
So I started to take stuff apart, suspecting the fuel pump. I de-mounted the fuel pump control unit and in the place ďcavityĒ under it where the electric contact to the fuel pump is situated the cavity was filled with water. Holding the fuel pump electronic in my hand I felt water coming out of it. The unit is filled completely with rubber and pressing my thumb on the backside made water come out at the edge between the rubber and metal housing. Peeling the rubber out of it and find it oxidized and burnt up.
When fixing the fuel pump recall they apparently they did not make sure that the rubber sealing under this electronic unit was good and /or correctly installed.
So my first STOP was apparently water in the fuel.
My second stop because of a burned up fuel pump electronic controller.
I did look for the fuse, perhaps itís burned, but there is no fuses all is run by the CANBus system. Thank you for that information Dann323.
So now I try to find out if there is 12 v at the plug that goes into the fuel pump electronic but with no luck. Finally not being able to hold my electric measuring tool, the plug to the fuel pump and turning key on/off I plugged a lamp into the contact and tried, guess wat no 12v UNTIL you crank the engine and it stops if you stop and engine do not start. After finding this out I decided to rebuild the electronic unit.
Now the plug comes into the ordinary fuel pump electronic unit.
Inside this is rebuilt and transfer the 12 v directly to the fuel pump.
Unit is mounted back with its sealing and then also sealed with silicone to prevent water from entering to the little cavity where fuel pump electric plug is situated.
I did use a Dremel tool to cut out some of the burnt electronic and then used the fuel pump contact and soldered it directly to the bottom of the plug receiver.
Thank you mtrevelino with the rebuilt modified unit I donít need to buy one of those cable you suggested.
See attached pictures.
And again thank you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Fuel Contr Plug.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	152779   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Fuel Pump Control Unit.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	152781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_201030833.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	152783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190618_201446987.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	152785  
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 7:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Fuel pump controller failure is a common problem with the earlier years 1200RT. Looking at your picture, it seems that you have the "improved" FPC, but then again, yours is NOT the first one of the "improved" version that had failed. There are many past threads on this forum on the subject. In case you want to know, the original version of the FPC is silvery (as-cast die-casting) in color, while the "improved" ones are black powder-coated.

I was looking through my files to see if I had saved any information of conductor ID for you, and came across this file that I had saved, which I am sure will be of interests to you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Failed fuel pump controllers.pdf (644.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf Fuel Pump Controller Bypass.pdf (791.0 KB, 5 views)

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 10:58 am

Here is some additional information for anyone attracted to this thread. As mentioned there are other in depth threads on the Forum.
Electronic Fuel-pump Controller ? HEX Code

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 12:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Bypassing the controller is great to get a bike home but it is not a good idea to run it bypassed long term. This is a single ended fuel system and the controller, along with a fuel pressure sensor, regulates the fuel pressure. Older systems have a mechanical regulator and send excess fuel back to the tank and this fuel also cools the pump but eventually it heats up the fuel in the tank and it gives off more fumes. They came up with the single ended system to eliminate the fuel in the tank heating and polluting the air. When you bypass the controller the fuel pressure is what ever the pump can put out and excess has no where to go.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in