Service light on 2015 RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Service light on 2015 RT

Can someone give me some guidance as to why my yellow service light has been coming on when I start the bike. It was serviced by the dealer at 18000 miles on 10/30/18 and now has about 20500 miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 9th, 2019, 8:32 pm

Re: Service light on 2015 RT

Probably the service tech never reset the reminder. This is one of BMW’s dumbest things that the normal person cannot reset the service light. You either have to take it back to the dealer or find someone with a gs-911 to reset it.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 4:38 am Thread Starter

Garage

I thought that might be the case but why would it take over 2000 miles for it to come on after the service was done? It was on when I brought it the dealer for the 18000 mi service.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 8:34 am

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

There are actually 2 "reminder" points set into the computer. One is mileage and the other is a date. He may have added on 6000 miles and forgot to reset the date. If you'd wait long enough, the service reminder would briefly show on the dash either X miles until service, or service by ?/?/YY date.

So they probably missed one of those two. I have a GS911 for my 2 RT's. So I always add 2 years to the service, and 6000 miles. That way I hit the miles before the date.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 9:13 am

Service light on 2015 RT

If the tech forgot to reset all the reminders properly just go in and tell them; they should be able to fix that quickly and for free.

If all you need to do is reset service intervals another option (if you have an Android device) is the MotoScan Pro app...
I have a GS-911, but purchased an OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD-II scanner to use with my cars/trucks for $50 on Amazon.

I subsequently purchased a 10-pin ICOM D adapter cable (I have 2009 RT) for $19 (Amazon) and the MotoScan Pro app ($28).

Total was about $100 and I can reset service reminders plus perform other functions.

I later upgraded to the Ultimate version of MotoScan (another $20-ish) for more service features and have been happy with what it does.

It will not replace my GS-911Wifi ($399) but will perform most of its’ functions at a fraction of the cost and is not limited to 10 VINs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Looks like MotoScan Pro is Google only. Darn it, I just went all in on an iPhone XSMax...

I do have an ELM scan reader and a very old Galaxy 3, I use it with my Ducati, maybe I need the BMW cord as well.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
There are actually 2 "reminder" points set into the computer. One is mileage and the other is a date. He may have added on 6000 miles and forgot to reset the date. If you'd wait long enough, the service reminder would briefly show on the dash either X miles until service, or service by ?/?/YY date.

So they probably missed one of those two. I have a GS911 for my 2 RT's. So I always add 2 years to the service, and 6000 miles. That way I hit the miles before the date.
Thanks. That is some good info . Dealer is 80 miles away so I'm not gonna worry bout it now. Thanks to everyone!
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 10th, 2019, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
Looks like MotoScan Pro is Google only. Darn it, I just went all in on an iPhone XSMax...

I do have an ELM scan reader and a very old Galaxy 3, I use it with my Ducati, maybe I need the BMW cord as well.

This is the one I purchased off Amazon; you have to be careful with some cables because there are some Chinese knockoffs that don’t work very well. This one works:
OBD2 Diagnostic Cable for BMW ICOM D Module Cable 10pin OBD Adapter for BMW,Qiilu Motorcyc... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075K7MQFC...sms_tai_rOT.Cb...

post #9 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Also...if you plan on trying the MotoScan route you can verify the health of the scanner and it’ authenticity with the free Android App “ELM327 Identifier” (from Wiki):

The ELM327 is a PIC microcontroller that has been customized with ELM Electronics' proprietary code that implements the testing protocols. When ELM Electronics sold version 1.0 of its ELM327, it did not enable the copy protection feature of the PIC microcontroller. Consequently, anyone could buy a genuine ELM327, and read ELM's proprietary binary microcontroller software using a device programmer. With this software, pirates could trivially produce ELM327 clones by purchasing the same microcontroller chips and programming them with the copied code.ELM327 clones were widely sold in devices claiming to contain an ELM327 device, and problems have been reported with the clones.The problems reflect bugs that were present in ELM's version 1.0 microcode; those making the clones may continue to sell the old version.

Although these pirate clones may contain the ELM327 v1.0 code, they may falsely report the version number as the current version provided by the genuine ELM327, and in some cases report an as-yet non-existent version.Released software versions for the ELM327 are 1.0, 1.3a, 1.4b, 2.1 and 2.2 only. The actual function of these pirate clones is nonetheless limited to the function of the original ELM327 v1.0, with inherent deficiencies.

Most of the clones are reporting [ELM327 v1.5], despite the fact that Elm Electronics does not have a version 1.5.

We note that a free Android app "ELM327 Identifier" tests 103 different AT codes and uses this information to determine which version of the ELM327 chip is actually present (or is being emulated by a pirate chip). Most of the pirated adapters that claim to be "v.1.5" or "v.2.1" actually fail most of the AT codes beyond v.1.4 and will not execute codes characteristic of ELM327 v.1.4b, 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2. Further, many of the pirated clone adapters do not even have OBDII port pins 2 and 10 connected, rendering them incapable of connecting to the ECU of many Ford and GM vehicles using the SAE J1850-PWM or -VPW protocols.

post #10 of 12 Old Jun 11th, 2019, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

If it worked with an Apple phone I would go for it. Thanks
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2019, 5:35 am

I'm out in Coram and have a GS911 so PM me before your next ride out east

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 12th, 2019, 5:40 am Thread Starter

Garage

WOW Thanks! I just might do that :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in