Yes,yes ...yes A tire thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By bandytales
  • 1 Post By 92merc
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Yes,yes ...yes A tire thread

Just trying to get and idea on how long the average life on the the stock Metzlers are that came with the bike. I know everyone rides differently. I have two trips coming up in the next couple of weeks. One to the BMW rally in Tennessee which will around 900 mile around trip and then out to Colorado which will be 3000 to 4000 miles. My 2018 RT has around 4K on it right now. So we are talking around 10k total. I know when I had my K16 GTL the rear Metzler was shot at 6500 miles. I reckon I should change them out before I head to Colorado. Any input much appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 11:09 am

Re: Yes,yes ...yes A tire thread

My average metzeler tyre life is between 4500 and 6500 miles.
Advice? Change your tyres before your rallies.
joekahng likes this.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #3 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 11:29 am

Garage

I have about 3500 miles on my stock Metzlers on my 18 RT.
They are showing very little wear.
Changing tires on the road is no fun but remounting used tires is expensive too.
If your on the road plans are flexible, I'd be inclined to get tires changed on the trip if needed.

post #4 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm

on my metzlers that came with the bike when new, it lasted about 6000 miles, but 80% of that 6000 miles, it was done at 80mph+ avg miles (frwy) while i was riding thru CA, NV, CO, UT, AZ...
(out in the boonies, it was way above 90mph++)

the rear started showing metal mesh tread... the front was cupping it a bit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KakaoTalk_20190502_093727644.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	152321  
post #5 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 2:32 pm

My Metzler Z8's gave me 9,000 miles. The front was down to the wear bars and cupped, but I probably had another 1,000 left on the rear. I replaced both at the same time. My riding is 90% in the twisties with some two-up touring on a mixture of roads. Yes, you'll most likely want to do a change before Colorado. BTW, I switched to Dunlop RoadSmart III's. I like the handling much better than the Metzler's when they were new, but I only have 3,000 miles on them, so can't report back on wear.
post #6 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 3:19 pm

The original tires on my bike were Metzeler Z8. They were good for about 6K miles.
That is usual for Metzelers to look good enough one day and show the cords 300 miles later.

Ride safe!
post #7 of 14 Unread Jun 7th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA*****************2015 R1200RT
Garage

On my '15, I got 10k miles on the rear Z8. About 13k on the fronts.

My wife's '17 got 10k on the rear. Fronts are at 12k and she has a bit left.

So 10k round trip, yeah you won't make it on existing ones for sure.
beech likes this.
post #8 of 14 Unread Jun 8th, 2019, 5:26 am

Yes I would change the tires...fresh is best....as far as brand I have ran many different and they all feel great when new...I normally ride around 20K per year....average about 7 to 8K on the front....Metzler currently...and I buy whatever is on sale ....90 percent twisties .....change the rear once per year..darkside...and it still looks pretty good even then...Yokohama avid envigor.....doing that for about 75K miles now...works well for me...I am a fairly aggressive rider...the rear previously would be gone between 5 and 6 K....2014 RTW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	92CFA79C-3CED-4166-875E-1B3092AD11E4_1559989562265.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	663.1 KB
ID:	152341  
post #9 of 14 Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 5:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Just trying to get and idea on how long the average life on the the stock Metzlers are that came with the bike.
You can see from all our responses above that the results vary by some considerable margin! This is true for all brands of tyres too.

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #10 of 14 Unread Jun 10th, 2019, 7:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I like to get the most out of my tires but I donít run out of tread in the middle of no where and then have to look around for some rubber. I also donít like paying the dealer prices and install fees while on the road. I have a NoMar tire changer but wonít have the time to do it myself.
post #11 of 14 Unread Jun 11th, 2019, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger man View Post
Just trying to get and idea on how long the average life on the the stock Metzlers are that came with the bike. I know everyone rides differently. I have two trips coming up in the next couple of weeks. One to the BMW rally in Tennessee which will around 900 mile around trip and then out to Colorado which will be 3000 to 4000 miles. My 2018 RT has around 4K on it right now. So we are talking around 10k total. I know when I had my K16 GTL the rear Metzler was shot at 6500 miles. I reckon I should change them out before I head to Colorado. Any input much appreciate.
I do not have the metzlers but i have the Michelin pr-4's. I am facing a trip to Colorado. This takes me thru mountains,deserts, long stretches with no service. Trip is close to 2000 miles from Southern California. So I just had both changed even though i could probably get a couple more thousand miles out of them. But from experience the desert heat and mountain twisty's are extremely hard on tread life.

I had 8 thousand miles on my tires with 3/32 left on rear and 2/32 on front so I changed them out.

Tire sensor on rear was shot, the bill with the tires has my eyes are still watering, wow.

So i say the trip to Tennessee is probably ok, but the 3000 to 4000 miles to Colorado you should change out.
post #12 of 14 Unread Jun 11th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPsRT View Post
My Metzler Z8's gave me 9,000 miles. The front was down to the wear bars and cupped, but I probably had another 1,000 left on the rear. I replaced both at the same time. My riding is 90% in the twisties with some two-up touring on a mixture of roads. Yes, you'll most likely want to do a change before Colorado. BTW, I switched to Dunlop RoadSmart III's. I like the handling much better than the Metzler's when they were new, but I only have 3,000 miles on them, so can't report back on wear.
I will replace the Metzlers that came with my 2018 RT with Dunlap Roadsmart IIIís when the Metzlers are done. I donít like the Metzlers; they donít enhance handling, wear strangely, and look good at the beginning of a day ride and are showing steel cords at the end of the ride. I have used the Dunlopís on my XR with great success and they give great confidence in the twisties while delivering good tire life.

Bob in the Sonoran Desert

2018 R1200RT Option 719 (Planet Blue Metallic)
2016 S1000XR (White) sold
2014 S1000R (Matt Blue) sold
2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) sold
post #13 of 14 Unread Jun 11th, 2019, 8:46 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner View Post
I will replace the Metzlers that came with my 2018 RT with Dunlap Roadsmart IIIís when the Metzlers are done. I donít like the Metzlers; they donít enhance handling, wear strangely, and look good at the beginning of a day ride and are showing steel cords at the end of the ride. I have used the Dunlopís on my XR with great success and they give great confidence in the twisties while delivering good tire life.
Just took a set of TrailSmart III off my GS. Good tire wore the front all but even for a change. 1st front of 3 to do that. Nothing bad to say about them at all. Patricia just got a new set on her Vulcan S and likes them well enough. No surprises, wears well, good wet grip. They just get the job done. Good prices and always running a rebate.

I change mine with a bit over 8K because the National and another ride coming up quickly after that. They could have went longer but as usual timing dictates the tire changes

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 14 Unread Jun 11th, 2019, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Iíll most likely get a set of the RSIIIís install at the National. I have had the Michelin 4GTís on my K16 and liked them. ...but I have heard good things about the RSIII and the price difference and I believe a rebate to boot. Whatís not to like ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in