BMW Luxury Touring Community

BMW Luxury Touring Community (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/)
-   RT Series (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/)
-   -   Headlight with LED (https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/183029-headlight-led.html)

black hawk May 24th, 2019 3:52 am

Headlight with LED

Hi, I hope i am not asking stupid Q here.
Anyone installed LED one to replace low and high beam stock bulbs with LED one??
Please share you comments and recommendation.
Just surfed the net and came across Cyclops web site which is offering completed LED kit for R1200RT for $200.

Is it worth it please advice.

:confused:

bandytales May 24th, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Headlight with LED

Quote:

Originally Posted by black hawk (Post 1912009)
Anyone installed LED one to replace low and high beam stock bulbs with LED one??
Just surfed the net and came across Cyclops web site which is offering completed LED kit for R1200RT for $200.

What bike are you talking about?

The short answer is YES they are worth it. Fit good quality itebs.
I fitted the type that had braided heatsinks instead of fans.
On my Oilhead and Wethead RT's, they fitted without having to modify the rear dustcap on the lamp housing.

black hawk May 24th, 2019 4:17 am

R1200RTW 2017

PadG May 24th, 2019 7:29 am

Do a search in this forum and you will get tons of information. Andy (bandytales) is one of the guys who had changed over both high and low beams to LED. It is very important that you use either the same, or at least the same design bulbs as the ones that Andy had used.

92merc May 24th, 2019 8:30 am

Quote:

I have the ADVMonster low beams on both of my bikes. I haven't switched out the high beams since I don't run with high's all that often. When I lose a bulb there, I'll probably buy a set. But I'm really happy with the lows. It does fit in the HL bucket with no holes. I was able to install mine without taking off the HL assembly. I'm fairly certain I saw at least one individual do all 3 bulbs with the ADV brands with no ill effects. Just white light!

Low beam
H7 Plus LED Headlight - ADVmonster

Are the Wetheads H1 high beams? I forget
H1 Plus LED Headlight - ADVmonster

Pappy53 May 24th, 2019 11:37 am

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 92merc (Post 1912027)
I have the ADVMonster low beams on both of my bikes. I haven't switched out the high beams since I don't run with high's all that often. When I lose a bulb there, I'll probably buy a set. But I'm really happy with the lows. It does fit in the HL bucket with no holes. I was able to install mine without taking off the HL assembly. I'm fairly certain I saw at least one individual do all 3 bulbs with the ADV brands with no ill effects. Just white light!

Low beam
H7 Plus LED Headlight - ADVmonster

Are the Wetheads H1 high beams? I forget
H1 Plus LED Headlight - ADVmonster

I did all three with AdvMonster units then got a pair of Cyclops H7's on my 2013 and my results were terrible. The problem was basically zero beam pattern to the right of center. I've posted details either here or the other forums. Look at the two images and guess which on is LED and which on is the the stock halogens. Cyclops and ADVMonster results were identical.

I've basically concluded that LEDs in a 2005-2013 RT with dual low beam reflector housings don't work. There's a huge amount of glare, which is an issue only if you have a desire not to blind oncoming drivers at night, and virtually no light projection to the right.

Others will post about how great they are so either they don't care or notice my issue or there's something unique about my particular housing (which I don't believe).

The high beam works well though so I left that one installed.

Of the two companies, I'd highly recommend Cyclops. They (Darryl) spent a lot of time working with me about this and they even took the lamps back. The other guy is hard to get hold of and the lights are non-returnable.

PatM55 May 24th, 2019 12:13 pm

I've installed the H7 kit from ADVMonster on my '16 RT and so far I'm completely satisfied.

Pappy53 May 24th, 2019 3:40 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatM55 (Post 1912065)
I've installed the H7 kit from ADVMonster on my '16 RT and so far I'm completely satisfied.

I believe that the single-lamp reflector in the 2014- RTs is whole different animal. The LED I kept was in my high-beam position, which is a symmetrical reflector like the Wethead low beam is, and works very well.

I have two brand new ADVMonster H7's ready to go to anyone that makes a decent offer for them BTY. PM if you're interested.

sattwood1633 May 27th, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I am on my third standard bulb in 12000 miles. The good news is it only took me 40 minutes to replace the Low Beam this time. I'll give the ADV Monster bulb a shot next time. How hard was it to stuff everything into the small bulb compartment when you're doing everything by feel? --Steve

MHTOUR May 27th, 2019 4:49 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sattwood1633 (Post 1912357)
Thanks for the info. I am on my third standard bulb in 12000 miles. The good news is it only took me 40 minutes to replace the Low Beam this time. I'll give the ADV Monster bulb a shot next time. How hard was it to stuff everything into the small bulb compartment when you're doing everything by feel? --Steve

I had the same run on my 2015. Every 4 to 5k I replaced the bulb. Kept spares in my case because I knew it was coming. I could change it in just a couple minutes though. I just switched to an led last week in the form of a new GS.

92merc May 28th, 2019 8:14 am

Quote:

I just installed the wife's LED yesterday. Bought 2 last fall and only installed mine. Her bike is at 11k miles, so I was expecting it to die soon.

I'm able to do mine by feel. But I'm the oddball. I could do that regular bulb change in 5 minutes.

Here is my write up I did last year.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...ml#post1886861

PMitchell May 28th, 2019 11:20 am

Do the LED's create RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) ?

92merc May 28th, 2019 11:46 am

I only have the ADV's installed in the low beams. But both my 2015 and the wife's 2017 have had no interference.

PatM55 May 28th, 2019 12:14 pm

Quote:

I found that following the instructions made it easier. I removed the dash panels to get better clearance, installed the driver first, then the holding ring, then the bulb and finally the braids.
The fit is tight, but no need to cut the dust cover and if you try to cut corners, you have to step back.
Some have suggested removing the reflector assembly to ease the installation.

wethead May 28th, 2019 12:16 pm

I be interested in DURABILITY.

12k into the 2018 RT and the low beam went out.

'm about ready to tape a couple of flashlight to the handlebars if this keeps going on.

...or do like my friend did them: slap of couple of Ericas over the mirror--them is 'nough lighting.

rangemaster May 28th, 2019 4:41 pm

Headlight with LED

Quote:

After reading this thread on Friday I looked on the Cyclops website... I have an 09 R1200RT (last year of the Hexhead) and no radio so noise is not a concern.

Bought the headlight ‘kit’ (for this bike it’s just 3 of their H7 LEDs). Ordered Friday afternoon, it arrived today.

It took me 1.5 hours from the time the package arrived until the job was done, including reading the instructions and fixing a cup of coffee. Everything fit under the lamp caps, no cutting holes.

While the later years RTs are likely more difficult here’s my initial feedback:

1. Don’t mess around with standing on your head and wrenching your shoulder - take the front fairing/headlight assembly off. It’s easy...no need to mess with the silicone sealer trick in the Cyclops instructions for lamp positioning.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ee69d590ff.jpg

2. With the headlight assembly sitting face-down on carpet (to avoid scratches) install the lights.

3. Pay particular attention to keeping the wonderful little BMW wire lamp retainers out of the way, otherwise they get lodged in the lamp fan vent slots; once the lamp is properly seated, hold it in place, flip the fairing around and make sure it’s centered and not touching the internal ‘shades’ in the bucket. Once centered you can then wrangle the wire bails into position and lock the lamps in.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5aac5b9c70.jpg

4. Route the pigtails around the inside of the lamp cavity and place the ballast in the 3 o’clock position per the printed instructions.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...07448f565f.jpg

5. The center lamp (high beam my Hexhead) orientation can make it a challenge to get the wiring harness in...take your time, it will fit. Because of this orientation the wire bails will be more difficult to lock as well...use a small screwdriver as your fingers will likely not do it.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...1762e62ff6.jpg

6. When you plug the lamp in the + and - polarities are marked on the Cyclops connector; remember on the BMW side brown is the ground (-).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d1b71e5214.jpg

Still need to do an evening test but it looks great and daytime driveway test does not indicate oncoming drivers will have a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pappy53 May 28th, 2019 4:48 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Could you try to take a couple of pictures like these? I tried Cyclops H7's (and AdvMonster) in the low beams and got beam patterns there were horribly asymmetric. You can see how there virtually no light being cast to the right (the yellower one is the stock halogens).

I've been trying to get proof that there isn't something wrong with my headlight assembly. In these images, noting that the bike isn't pointed exactly in the same place, you can see that there's good light on both sides of the center hot spot with the halogens but almost no light right of center spot with the LEDs. I got exactly the same results with the Cyclops and Advmonster H7's.

rangemaster May 28th, 2019 4:58 pm

Headlight with LED

I can, as time permits...but FYI:

1. Unfortunately I did not take “before” photos with halogen lamps installed to compare beam patterns.
2. Your signature data shows you have a 2013 RT; not only is the headlight assembly a different part number than my 2009, the 2013 RT’s have two different headlight assemblies depending on what variant of bike you have...either/both could likely have differences in the reflector assemblies:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...77e179e282.jpg

Pappy53 May 28th, 2019 6:59 pm

Some kind of after picture would be great. Thanks! :grin:

realshelby May 29th, 2019 7:11 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wethead (Post 1912479)
I be interested in DURABILITY.

12k into the 2018 RT and the low beam went out.

'm about ready to tape a couple of flashlight to the handlebars if this keeps going on.

...or do like my friend did them: slap of couple of Ericas over the mirror--them is 'nough lighting.

The braided type that Andy and I used have been flawless. I keep the spare bulb that came in the kit, but it is still package up on the bike and not used. I think I am over 3 years and probably 30,000 miles or so on this bulb.

bandytales May 29th, 2019 8:29 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wethead (Post 1912479)

Them thar' Ericas may well be 'nough lighting, but it is no good for oncoming traffic.

zhu11 Jun 9th, 2019 11:26 am

Put ADVmonster H7 PLUS LED low beam bulb on R1200RT 2015 and can confirm no Radio Frequency Interference. No errors or warning lights. Very happy with the result. Tried to use Cyclops in the past but had to return them due to terrible radio noise (lights themselves were good). Installed LED bulb without disassembly (some may find it tricky). Very recommended modification considering the price.

sbosshart Jun 9th, 2019 11:33 am

Might be a dumb question, but how does the bike handle the additional unused power? I know on older bikes the rec/reg unit can get over-worked and burn out.

Skibumwi Jun 9th, 2019 9:07 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by realshelby (Post 1912619)
The braided type that Andy and I used have been flawless. I keep the spare bulb that came in the kit, but it is still package up on the bike and not used. I think I am over 3 years and probably 30,000 miles or so on this bulb.

I've done some searching but haven't found out exactly which kit you used. Could you please provide a link to them?

Thanks,
Ski

bandytales Jun 10th, 2019 5:50 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbosshart (Post 1913993)
Might be a dumb question, but how does the bike handle the additional unused power? I know on older bikes the rec/reg unit can get over-worked and burn out.

Never ever heard of issues on a modern (1997 onward) BMW motorcycle.
Someone accidently started a thread about a potential issue with this and the horrors of an alternator burn out only to find it was a mechanical assembly failure (I think it was Chieflonghair).
We all got excited about nothing...but it did keep the forum lively for a while!

realshelby Jun 10th, 2019 6:57 am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumwi (Post 1914071)
I've done some searching but haven't found out exactly which kit you used. Could you please provide a link to them?

Thanks,
Ski

I posted a thread on it. LED conversions that werk That link doesn't work, but Bandytales also had one later in the thread. If you can get one to show the picture, that should be enough to get one that is the same. They have the silver colored cooling braids and a red anodized body that is on the smaller side compared to others.

davagail Jun 10th, 2019 8:43 am

been using the cyclops for 2 years now with out a problem! very happy...14 rt