• 2 Post By Bill
  • 1 Post By Goose11
  • 1 Post By sattwood1633
  • 1 Post By Goose11
  • 1 Post By beech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 24th, 2019, 1:59 am Thread Starter

Anybody going to Mariposa this weekend?

for the 49ers Rally of the BMW NorCal group ???

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
--------------------------
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'05 HONDA Goldwing GL1800
'99 HONDA Valkyrie Interstate
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 24th, 2019, 5:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Anybody going to Mariposa this weekend?

Not me.

Ian

My plan is to live forever. So far so good.
post #3 of 11 Old May 24th, 2019, 9:11 am

I'm waiting for them to move it back to the fair grounds at Auburn, CA where it use to be.
CaptJDavis and beech like this.

Bill Spurgeon
Phoenix, AZ
2018 R1200RT
"remember, no matter where you go - there you are"
Buckaroo Bonzi

post #4 of 11 Old May 25th, 2019, 9:43 am

Garage

Actually, it was in Mariposa for years before it moved to Auburn*. I was a regular from the mid-1980s well into the 1990s. I thought about going this year since I have a BMW again but just couldn't come up with enough interest to get me to pay the fairly high fee and ride across the boring central valley to attend the rally. Plus, nobody in my circles rides a BMW except me so it would have been a solo trip. You have to be a member of the NorCal BMW club to "sign for" a non-BMW rider. Given the rain this weekend I'm feeling like a smart/ lucky guy.

I will miss riding to the Ahwahnee Sunday for brunch and the Indy 500. At least in the old days Sunday brunch was the only meal you could eat at in the Ahwahnee dining room without being dressed "appropriately". Watching the snooty people paying big bucks for their stay responding to a bunch of loud, happy bikers (BMW = quiet bike, loud riders) in big boots and largely black leather outfits was worth the trip even if I didn't care much about the 500. Plus, the food was really good, trout for breakfast!

*I've heard it was in Auburn even farther back but that was before I got my first BMW. Jeff Dean or some similarly long time BMW rider might remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I'm waiting for them to move it back to the fair grounds at Auburn, CA where it use to be.
CaptJDavis likes this.

Well, to be Frank,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'd have to change my screen name
post #5 of 11 Old May 25th, 2019, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose11 View Post
Actually, it was in Mariposa for years before it moved to Auburn*. I was a regular from the mid-1980s well into the 1990s. I thought about going this year since I have a BMW again but just couldn't come up with enough interest to get me to pay the fairly high fee and ride across the boring central valley to attend the rally. Plus, nobody in my circles rides a BMW except me so it would have been a solo trip. You have to be a member of the NorCal BMW club to "sign for" a non-BMW rider. Given the rain this weekend I'm feeling like a smart/ lucky guy.

I will miss riding to the Ahwahnee Sunday for brunch and the Indy 500. At least in the old days Sunday brunch was the only meal you could eat at in the Ahwahnee dining room without being dressed "appropriately". Watching the snooty people paying big bucks for their stay responding to a bunch of loud, happy bikers (BMW = quiet bike, loud riders) in big boots and largely black leather outfits was worth the trip even if I didn't care much about the 500. Plus, the food was really good, trout for breakfast!

*I've heard it was in Auburn even farther back but that was before I got my first BMW. Jeff Dean or some similarly long time BMW rider might remember.
Well, just to let you know that I went to Mariposa Fairgrounds since it was too close for me to ignore it. Also since this was going to be my first 49ers Rally experience I was curious to see what it looked like.

But due to rain & thunderstorm forecast for this weekend I did not plan to stay overnight. Just a quick look to see what was going on maybe buy few things from attending vendors for my new bike and quickly head back home. That was my plan.

I did not see 500 bikes around like they were mentioning on the event website regarding earlier years. But it was only Friday and maybe more riders were still at their work and they may be planning to arrive on Saturday. No idea on that...

In any case, there were around 30-35 bikes scattered on the grounds and 2 vendors at the outside area. Weiser Lights and a custom seat maker... I stopped at WEISER stand and installed bright LED brake light/turn signal combos in back and just brighter turn signals in front. Even though my wallet didn't look good after spending $360, the lights look good and much, much brighter than the dimmest possible brake likes BMW puts on these bikes for a mysterious reason.

The clouds were getting lower and darker during the installation of my lights and before the first drop of rain falls on me, as soon as installation was over, I was out of there. I didn't even go inside the fairground buildings to see what other vendor/s were there. Only indoor facility I visited was the bathrooms.

Too bad, because 15-20 miles W of the event's location it was great weather with 80% clear skies, few puffy white clouds and almost 70F.

Accommodation is one of the commonly ignored issue in these events that many organizers don't consider seriously I guess. Every GS/A owner don't ride around like a turtle with our shells on our back to pitch a tent and due to being at the doorstep of Yosemite, even the Best Western rooms were almost $250/night. A 4 day private club gathering where a rider expects to spend $1000 just for a hotel room is not going to help increasing the attendance numbers I assume.But I digress.

I have no past experience with Auburn so I can't compare to that but I don't think I'll be sad for missing the entirety of this gathering. Maybe in the future at a better location and under better weather conditions I'll try again. Who knows?

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
post #6 of 11 Old May 27th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I missed your post. I was there on Friday and left Saturday. Beautiful weather, too bad so many people cancelled. --Steve
CaptJDavis likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old May 27th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Garage

$250 a night for a Best Western a little nothing town in the foothills! I'm a camper but since the girlfriend has no interesting in moving to the front seat I can only camp solo, we'd be in a hotel for the weekend. For $750 to $1,000 plus other costs for the weekend I'll go elsewhere. Too bad greed looks to be killing another good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJDavis View Post

Accommodation is one of the commonly ignored issue in these events that many organizers don't consider seriously I guess. Every GS/A owner don't ride around like a turtle with our shells on our back to pitch a tent and due to being at the doorstep of Yosemite, even the Best Western rooms were almost $250/night. A 4 day private club gathering where a rider expects to spend $1000 just for a hotel room is not going to help increasing the attendance numbers I assume.But I digress.

I have no past experience with Auburn so I can't compare to that but I don't think I'll be sad for missing the entirety of this gathering. Maybe in the future at a better location and under better weather conditions I'll try again. Who knows?
CaptJDavis likes this.

Well, to be Frank,

I'd have to change my screen name
post #8 of 11 Old May 27th, 2019, 11:45 pm

Time for that rally to move back to Auburn. The town has cought on, and taking advantage of everyone. It used to be a pretty big rally but I see it is going down hill, like most rallies. The MOA rally for Great Falls Montana next year...wow, just like Gellette, Wy. a few years ago, sucks big time. Great falls is flat not the best roads for riding, why?? Did I mention it will be hot?
Sorry your experience at the 49er was not what it should have been. Finding a riding partner is a serious thing. They have to have the same style and goals. I've been riding with the same friend since 1969. We know how each other operates and what our needs are. I have about 20 people that we ride with on a mixed basis. Never in one group. Never more than 4, maybe 5. Best small. We set up motels along a route and tell everyone get a reservation and we will see you there. Then people pick routes. There are plenty of riders I just peal off and say see you later.
CaptJDavis likes this.

Beech

I change your tires $40, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #9 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 8:00 am

I went a few years ago and it's certainly a real joy to ride the 49 down from north of Auburn on down. Love that last 15 mile or so coming into Mariposa

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #10 of 11 Old May 28th, 2019, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong guys. Mariposa is a beautiful little town surrounded with gorgeous roads ideal for scenic riding. My only negative observation was regarding that IMHO it was not "the best" location choice for a multiple day long, rather large bike rally!

Will Mariposa be a great day ride destination, in order to have a Club BBQ, a swap meet or a vendor event etc??? Heck yeah!!!

It will be a great choice since Mariposa being only 3 hrs away from San Francisco, Monterey, Santa Cruz and even from Bakersfield... It is only 2,5 hrs from Sacramento and 1,5 hr from Fresno and from dear old "me"! in that regard it is a perfectly centralized location to thousands of BMW riders in the area.

If this was a one day event in Mariposa with main activities scheduled between 11:00am and 4:00pm on a Saturday or Sunday.. (Not Thursday or Friday) everybody could leave their homes around 8:00/9:00 am and arrive to the Fairgrounds around 11:00am and enjoy BBQ + Vendors + Swap meet and whatever else intended until 4:00pm.
After spending almost 5 hrs at the location, then people leave the grounds by 4:00-4:30pm and be back at their homes by 7:00pm-7:30pm latest. That would've been ideal to encourage many more riders to attend.

So distance-wise it is not a bad choice! Also as destination-wise it is not a bad choice either. But again, as the location-wise for a multi day long event, it was not the best choice.

Even if the weather was good my plan was still to go back and forth everyday since I am close by. This year weather did not look nice to me with rain and thunderstorms in the area forecasts for throughout the event. That was just a bad luck and it could happen at any location at any time. So nothing to be critical there.

But, I am sure many people who attended this year's gathering still enjoyed it. Like when Jay Leno said, "even a bad pizza is still being a pizza"... So even a "not the best" kind of gathering where we meet other fellow bikers after spending few delightful hours to get there and back on our iron horses is still a "much better" time compared to those we spent at home in front of TV.

My only recommendation to the organizers; for any future multi-day long event please pick a location that offers plenty of modern and "reasonable" accommodations in the immediate vicinity of the ground zero other than just grassy meadows!

That's all I wish!!!

Capt.Jim
2018 R1200 GSA
'18 R1200RT
'18 K1600GTL
'16 R1200GSA
'14 R1200RT
'12 K1600GTL
'06 R1200GS
'03 R1150RT-P
'07 K1200LT
'05 R1150RT-P
'99 HONDA Valkyrie
'06 R1150RT-P
'05 K1200LT
'98 HONDA SHADOW
'98 YAMAHA Super Tenere
'93 HONDA CBR 1000F
'91 HONDA Transalp
'88 JAWA 500
post #11 of 11 Old May 30th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Hey Cap't, I've been going to the 49er Rally and the Beemer Bash for about 12 years. This year the turn out was really low - I know my 3 friends cancelled due to possible rain (Wimps ;-). A lot of fun at the rally comes from the ride. I took 99 south from Roseville to Manteca and from there went to Oakdale, Weatherford, Hornitos and then to the rally.

This year the music was inside (due to possible rain) and the beer tent was moved. This wasn't a good representative sample of the 49er.

I hope you try again next year.

--Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rt beemerbash.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	151985  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in