GS 911 question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 6:05 am Thread Starter

GS 911 question

Can the GS 911 check for proper movement of the exhaust butterfly valve on a 2015 RT? If so, where in the menu would I look to find the procedure?

2015 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 9:06 am

Re: GS 911 question

Yes and no. It checks position on exhaust valve flap. As far as proper movement that depends on what you suspect is wrong. Checking position as far as full travel without obstruction, yes. But when running it may not. That depends on the bikes engine computer. Do you suspect a problem? Any faults displayed?

https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/g...function-chart

This link goes to GS911 functional charts on all models
post #3 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 9:11 am

Garage

Is it because to want to verify that the valve is not stuck?

The way it works is the ECU senses the movement of the actuator, not the valve itself. It either has position feedback for senses the increased current required to move the butterfly. If the valve is jammed, a error is logged. There's no way to check movement of valve itself without actually looking at it (either by looking for the cables moving or removing the muffler). The valve cycles every time the ignition is turned on as part of the start-up testing the computer does.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

post #4 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

6speedTi,
I thought I might be able, through the GS911 to cycle the butterfly valve. Have not been able to find anything in the 911 that indicates this is possible. I noticed yesterday when passing traffic, hen WOT the bike seemed a little down on power. Backing off to 3/4 throttle or so seemed to yield more power than WOT. So I suspect the exhaust butterfly may not be responding properly.

Pappy53,
I was unaware the valve cycles as part of the prestart routine. I will remove the cover and cycle the ignition.

Thanks to both for your thoughts.

2015 R1200RT
post #5 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 5:36 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1200 View Post
6speedTi,
I thought I might be able, through the GS911 to cycle the butterfly valve. Have not been able to find anything in the 911 that indicates this is possible. I noticed yesterday when passing traffic, hen WOT the bike seemed a little down on power. Backing off to 3/4 throttle or so seemed to yield more power than WOT. So I suspect the exhaust butterfly may not be responding properly.

Pappy53,
I was unaware the valve cycles as part of the prestart routine. I will remove the cover and cycle the ignition.

Thanks to both for your thoughts.
Yes the GS-911 cycles the flap. I dont have it in front of me but in the ECU service functions, There is a drop down arrow, one is all checking idiot lights and such, the other does the flap and resets the transmission and re-calibrates the suspension and all kinds of other stuff.

If you are in fact stuck a Servo Buddy will allow you to remove the cables and motor and it makes the bike think it is there and it will pass a GS-911 test.

You are correct if that flap was not open it would affect performance.

I did a write up of a clean and lube but when they are frozen it may be too late for cleaning.

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-seri...aust-flap.html

Cant be replaced, so a new set of headers or aftermarket are your choice. On older models you could take it off and put a piece made for the exhaust on, but not any longer.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Now I'm thinking of inspecting my valve and clean it up a bit. Lube the cable assembly. Lots of heat across that valve.
post #7 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Great info Lee. Thanks! I will connect the GS911 tomorrow and try to find that function. I assume the servo buddy keeps the valve fully open all the time. Any noticeable change to low-midrange torque?

2015 R1200RT
post #8 of 10 Old May 20th, 2019, 7:23 pm

post #9 of 10 Old May 21st, 2019, 3:20 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmith1200 View Post
Great info Lee. Thanks! I will connect the GS911 tomorrow and try to find that function. I assume the servo buddy keeps the valve fully open all the time. Any noticeable change to low-midrange torque?
Well in my case none of that stuff is on my bike so that is why I use a Servo Buddy. Since I have aftermarket pipes I have no cat or flap.

You can use the servo buddy and remove those items and the bike will not throw codes.

Again I have read of the pivot being frozen, the exhaust pipe being crudded up,and the cables frozen,

I notice none, zero, zip difference.

People always attribute the flap to back pressure but a lot of it's intent is to make the bike quiet at idle and low RPM to pass DB noise test's from what I have been told.

With no flap when you start my bike instead of the flap being 1/4 or what ever there is nothing so it is at it's loudest right at idle. No complaints from anyone around me on some recent rides. I was in front of someone who would have been honest no mater what.

I mean you can get real deep and get into cam overlap, and exhaust wave reversion and all the other science that goes into a exhaust, and valve opening and closing blah blah.

I know I would not buy a set of OEM headers to have it work and that is a fact.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 10 Old May 21st, 2019, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

I removed the cover, powered the bike on and watched the butterfly cycle as you said it would so I assume all is good. Thanks for your insight!

2015 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in