Iliumworks versatile highway pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By John Brock
  • 1 Post By RJPsRT
  • 1 Post By RJPsRT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 12th, 2019, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Iliumworks versatile highway pegs

Stupid question #756. Is it normal that these don’t properly clamp down? Both sides are the same. They’re tight but don’t look like a proper fit.

When I spoke to them they were aware I was mounting them on their own crash guards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FE8AE88E-EB30-47F4-9B97-F47B7CCE1EC9_1557707979985.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	634.1 KB
ID:	151527  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 12th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Garage
Re: Iliumworks versatile highway pegs

I put a set on last May on their bars too.
At the time, it seemed like the set screws were not going to do the job but they totally do.
I was careful to tighten all of them a bit at a time and they snugged right up.
I've had no problems with them slipping around at all.
RJPsRT likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old May 12th, 2019, 8:47 pm Thread Starter

Ok thx. Kinda goofy lookin for such a nicely machined EXPENSIVE item.

post #4 of 12 Old May 12th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWookie View Post
Stupid question #756. Is it normal that these donít properly clamp down? Both sides are the same. Theyíre tight but donít look like a proper fit.

When I spoke to them they were aware I was mounting them on their own crash guards.
A couple of issues here:

First, this is stupid question #324. Stupid question #756 relates to whether paying extra for using "nitrogen" (AKA: AIR) is worth it.

Second, I have these as well and that's how they fit. Be prepared to re-tighten these a lot. It's especially frustrating out on a ride and weight is applied while shifting around on the bike and the whole thing becomes loose. Another thing I hate about IW products (even though I have several of their products on my '16 RT), is that they require metric hex instead of torx. I inadvertently stripped a few of the clamping bolts because I forgot.

Those who say that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those who are doing it.

Democrats are to America what mold is to bread.
post #5 of 12 Old May 12th, 2019, 11:18 pm Thread Starter

Ok thx.
post #6 of 12 Old May 13th, 2019, 12:02 am

It's hard to see from the photo, but on mine there's a screw in set pin in addition to the clamp bolts. The pin has a sharp, pointed end that is put in facing the engine guards. The correct way to install these is to set the pin so that it protrudes into the engine guard before tightening the clamp bolts firmly. The set pin will put a dimple into the metal of the engine guard. Mine are set up like this and have never moved.
kd_boston likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old May 13th, 2019, 8:12 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWookie View Post
Stupid question #756. Is it normal that these don’t properly clamp down? Both sides are the same. They’re tight but don’t look like a proper fit.

As longs as they are tight it should be good. Mine gap just a bit but I did use plastic inserts around the bars.

Also make sure you are using SAE tools on those bolts, they are NOT metric.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 12 Old May 15th, 2019, 10:03 am

You may want to consider - I am not an engineer or anything - but wrapping a rubber strip around the the bar before you put the clamp on. It may give the clamp something to grip onto instead of just metal on metal.

When I added my GPS mount to my handle bar, I did that to prevent the clamp from scratching the bar, and subsequently giving it something to hold as well. Worked perfectly.

Your situation is different, as you have more external weight on the peg from your foot/leg, rather than just the GPS in my case, but it might be worth a try.

If you have already solved the problem, well... this message will self destruct in 12 seconds...

post #9 of 12 Old May 15th, 2019, 11:38 am

The photo below shows the set pin in the center of the Illium Works foot peg clamp. When installed correctly it creates a dimple in the engine protection bar and holds the peg in place. The owner of Illium Works installed mine originally but I found them a bit high so I lowered them. You can see the dimple from the original placement just above the clamp. Once that set screw is in place, the pegs will not move. At least mine won't. As I wrote in my post above, you must first tighten the mount with the set pin. It needs to be protruding against the engine protection bar. The sharp pointed end of the set pin will be sticking out into the inside of the mounting bracket for the length of the pin's sharp taper. Then, when you tighten the clamp bolts the set pin will dig into the engine protection bar and keep the pegs in place. No inserts required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	road-peg.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	151601  
kd_boston likes this.

Last edited by RJPsRT; May 15th, 2019 at 11:53 am.
post #10 of 12 Old May 15th, 2019, 12:02 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJPsRT View Post
The photo below shows the set pin in the center of the Illium Works foot peg clamp. When installed correctly it creates a dimple in the engine protection bar and holds the peg in place. The owner of Illium Works installed mine originally but I found them a bit high so I lowered them. You can see the dimple from the original placement just above the clamp. Once that set screw is in place, the pegs will not move. At least mine won't. As I wrote in my post above, you must first tighten the mount with the set pin. It needs to be protruding against the engine protection bar. The sharp pointed end of the set pin will be sticking out into the inside of the mounting bracket for the length of the pin's sharp taper. Then, when you tighten the clamp bolts the set pin will dig into the engine protection bar and keep the pegs in place. No inserts required.
The instructions for installation are really clear:

1) tighten the clamps
2) run the set pin in until it touches the bar
3) loosen the clamps
4) turn the set pin another 1/4 (I think, maybe it's 1/2) turn
5) re-tighten the clamps

This method insures that the set pin will dimple the crash bar

Mine are Rock Solid.....

Ski

[/SIGPIC]2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
post #11 of 12 Old Today, 9:04 am

for those of us who use highway pegs check out www.thebootscoop.com it's a little device that will get some airflow to the nether regions!!!! ride safe and keep cool!

The Boot Scoop
Thebootscoop.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Today, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davagail View Post
for those of us who use highway pegs check out www.thebootscoop.com it's a little device that will get some airflow to the nether regions!!!! ride safe and keep cool!

OMG, What next: an A/C unit that sits on the back of your seat with a hose that shoots cold air into your jacket...wait! WHAT! there is one already

Well I 'll be...

Last edited by wethead; Today at 3:23 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in