WORNOUT CAM LOBE - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 78 Old Jul 26th, 2019, 5:12 pm

Garage
Re: WORNOUT CAM LOBE

That sure sucks. The image is a little blurry but I noted what looks like a dark ring there on the camshaft. That looks like the kind of rainbow effect you see on some metals that have been exposed to very high temperatures (think exhaust headers for example).
Pabst likes this.

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 78 Old Jul 26th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Seems like these have been in 2017 and beyond models. My '16 has almost 40K and very recently began starting a little less briskly than it did for the last 40K miles which I thought might be contaminated fuel as addition of methyl alcohol did improve the picture but it's still not quite back to its normal self yet after 2 additional tanks full. Last valve check was about 5K miles ago and all were well within spec.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #53 of 78 Old Jul 26th, 2019, 6:59 pm

2014 RT 79000 miles and I was hearing noisy valves for the last 15000 miles +/-. Always within spec until I noticed the worn cam lobes. Of course your feeler gauges dont measure that gap. At 73000 miles I installed a new stator, after riding 4000 miles and flying 5000 miles to get the bike home. Am I impressed with BMW? That new Goldwing is looking better all the time..

post #54 of 78 Old Jul 26th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantkapteyn View Post
2014 RT 79000 miles and I was hearing noisy valves for the last 15000 miles +/-. Always within spec until I noticed the worn cam lobes. Of course your feeler gauges dont measure that gap. At 73000 miles I installed a new stator, after riding 4000 miles and flying 5000 miles to get the bike home. Am I impressed with BMW? That new Goldwing is looking better all the time..
Stator AND the cams?!? Yeah. I don't blame you one bit.

post #55 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:56 am

Quote:
That's disturbing and I would love to know what the prevalence of failure of these items is and what their average life expectancy is: driveshaft w/ u-joints, stator, cam shafts, shocks. I've been thinking I would keep my '16 for 150K miles but with a few reports of these expensive parts failing right around 80K miles or less it's making me think at 70K or so I should just trade it in on something newer.
Pabst likes this.

2013 F800GT - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #56 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I am quickly losing faith in BMW.
post #57 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabst View Post
I am quickly losing faith in BMW.
I know--the problem is we have no good data about these things. Of course forums bias towards people reporting problems but it's all we have to go on unfortunately. For a brand w/ a mega reputation to uphold one would hope the expensive deeply buried parts would be aircraft-grade or better, and these funky cam lobes just seem beyond the pale seriously.
Pabst likes this.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #58 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Garage

One would hope BMW views these occurrences of cam lobe wear as an opportunity.

When the first-year wet heads were discovered to have a rear suspension issue BMW acted quickly and decisively. Their program of buy-back/trade in/repair was viewed by most as commendable. This issue affected the safety of the bike and acting forthrightly probably saved many lawsuits, but it also reflected well on the company.

BMW is now in a position to take one of two paths:

- Stonewall, deny, and perhaps have unpublished good-will repairs for only those who make sufficient noise.

- Openly admit that some bikes have an issue and stand by their product. One would hope these occurrences are rare and cost to the company would be relatively small.

Whichever path they chose, word will spread quickly. As one of my former work colleagues so eloquently put it, "Mothers tell their daughters it takes a lifetime to get a good reputation and fifteen minutes in the back seat of a Chevy to get a bad one."

Let's hope for the best.

Bob Stewart
Salem, Oregon

2018 R1200RT

Last edited by Stooie; Jul 27th, 2019 at 4:48 pm.
post #59 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Garage

After big big repair costs on my previous RTs, I got paranoid. My 2016 RT warranty was running out this week so I bought a comprehensive service contract -- 4 years for $804, no deductible, cancelable, and transferable. It's worth $16.75/mo to me for peace of mind.

John D
2016 R1200RT
post #60 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 8:57 pm

Garage

Congratulations! You have now guaranteed that your ownership experience will be completely trouble-free!

I bought the Mopar Maxcare unlimited mileage lifetime plan when I got my Durango in 2017 cause I've read of a few issues common to that brand. The result? I have over 58k miles with ZERO issues.

Works every time!

post #61 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy53 View Post
Congratulations! You have now guaranteed that your ownership experience will be completely trouble-free!

I bought the Mopar Maxcare unlimited mileage lifetime plan when I got my Durango in 2017 cause I've read of a few issues common to that brand. The result? I have over 58k miles with ZERO issues.

Works every time!
Dang, that guarantee didn't work for me -- I had a 2 year Zurich plan for my 06 RT that paid me back $700 more for repairs than I paid in premium. Unfortunately, I should have bought a 3rd year (or dumped the bike when it expired) because the whizzy ABS then failed and a case seal failed and cost me big time.

It also didn't work for my wife -- who had a 5 year plan on her Acura TL that netted $6500 more in many many repairs over what the warranty cost.

Dang.

John D
2016 R1200RT
post #62 of 78 Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:25 pm

This thread is scaring me.
Where do I go to buy a warranty on a 16 RT with 12k miles?
post #63 of 78 Old Jul 28th, 2019, 6:31 am

Garage
I would be interested in learning more about extended warranty options. Have a new to me one owner 2017 RT with 10K miles. Still has factory warranty until April 2020.

Full service history since new and I purchased it preowned from the dealer who sold it new. $800 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Please share details.
wvandennoort likes this.

Best Regards,

NP
post #64 of 78 Old Jul 28th, 2019, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
Quote:
That's disturbing and I would love to know what the prevalence of failure of these items is and what their average life expectancy is: driveshaft w/ u-joints, stator, cam shafts, shocks. I've been thinking I would keep my '16 for 150K miles but with a few reports of these expensive parts failing right around 80K miles or less it's making me think at 70K or so I should just trade it in on something newer.
I agree this is disturbing...my bike a 2014 with just over 99 thousand on her has had both a stator and drive shaft failure...both issues were due to outside source not part failure...the stator was because of a bolt coming out and chewing it up...the drive shaft was due to moisture causing rust to eat up the u-joint...without those issues I see no reason these two parts shouldn't last for unlimited miles...I have yet to need to adjust my valves and the cam lobes still look new....I was in taos new Mexico and met a guy on a wing with over 300 K on it...I am planning on keeping this bike and joining that club someday...the thing I fear is ecu failure or some sort of computer issue and electronic stuff to deal with at some point...would like to do some pre vent maintenance on the handle bar controls...anti corrosion lube and such...but have yet to make a plan for that...the service manual says any attempt to open the multi function wheel will destroy it!!...so I don't know what if anything I should do in that area...any ideas??
post #65 of 78 Old Jul 28th, 2019, 9:58 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickp View Post
I would be interested in learning more about extended warranty options. Have a new to me one owner 2017 RT with 10K miles. Still has factory warranty until April 2020.

Full service history since new and I purchased it preowned from the dealer who sold it new. $800 is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Please share details.
Most plans are available only through a dealer. If your dealer doesn't offer a plan, you can contact Zurich Insurance or Rider's Advantage to find a local dealer before your factory warranty runs out.

These bikes are generally reliable so risk is probably low, but lemons are a fact of life. I've had two factory warranty repairs on my '16, no biggies but around $700 worth. These bikes are mechanically and electrically complex and failure of some components can be absurdly expensive to repair - not like your dad's (or mom's) R60.

Apologies to the OP for leading this cam lobes thread astray, so maybe an insurance thread might be started.

John D
2016 R1200RT
post #66 of 78 Old Jul 29th, 2019, 8:41 pm

I lost faith in BMW in 2001 when I lost 2 FD's before 12K miles........then was stupid enough to buy another one.
post #67 of 78 Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Took my bike to a different dealer today than the one that did my original service. Was told theyíve had a number of bikeís with the same problem and feel there wonít be a problem with it being covered by the warranty. They said that all the cams will probably be replaced and doubt any further damage was caused by this problem but would check it out. They said good chance it will be ready by the end of this week.

Also said not much hope for warranty coverage on my rim and being so minimal he said shouldnít cause any problems to ride it like it is. Iím ok with that. Told them why I brought the bike to them rather than where I bought it and had my 1st service. He agreed that was probably best. They eased my frustration and Iím looking forward to getting back on the road this weekend.
post #68 of 78 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
If there was a service bulletin, then BMW must have known about the problem!
Yeah, but who do they blame?

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #69 of 78 Old Jul 31st, 2019, 12:06 am

Quote:
I know--the problem is we have no good data about these things. Of course forums bias towards people reporting problems but it's all we have to go on unfortunately. For a brand w/ a mega reputation to uphold one would hope the expensive deeply buried parts would be aircraft-grade or better, and these funky cam lobes just seem beyond the pale seriously.
Try plastic throttle body pulleys that crack.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #70 of 78 Old Aug 1st, 2019, 8:13 pm

I have had the stator go and the now the cam lobes are wearing. It may be a small failure rate but my stator went South near Odessa, Ukraine (I live in Las Vegas) and I just noticed the cam lobes. Stator cost was around $1400 and I pulled the engine. I also had to buy a battery in Romania and 2 battery chargers (Euro & US) for around another $500 to get home. And the cams will cost around $2000 if bought new. So farI am batting 100% . Just waiting for something else like a final drive..... THIS IS NOT A QUALITY build.
post #71 of 78 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 7:31 am

Quote:
I have had the stator go and the now the cam lobes are wearing. It may be a small failure rate but my stator went South near Odessa, Ukraine (I live in Las Vegas) and I just noticed the cam lobes. Stator cost was around $1400 and I pulled the engine. I also had to buy a battery in Romania and 2 battery chargers (Euro & US) for around another $500 to get home. And the cams will cost around $2000 if bought new. So farI am batting 100% . Just waiting for something else like a final drive..... THIS IS NOT A QUALITY build.
Hi Grant, What year RT do you have? When your stator died, was it an electrical or mechanical failure. When you had the issue in Romania, what was the cause and solution to the problem?

2003 R1150RT & 2017 R1200RT
post #72 of 78 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 11:48 am

Quote:
Seems like these have been in 2017 and beyond models. My '16 has almost 40K and very recently began starting a little less briskly than it did for the last 40K miles which I thought might be contaminated fuel as addition of methyl alcohol did improve the picture but it's still not quite back to its normal self yet after 2 additional tanks full. Last valve check was about 5K miles ago and all were well within spec.
Valve clearance okay but was the cam timing checked via the proper gauge and chain tensioner? Your symptoms are consistent with cam timing being off a little.
I have found the dealers change all 4 cam shafts to remedy the worn lobe issue.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #73 of 78 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:47 pm

Or the battery not quite as good as it once was....

I learned that the hard way.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #74 of 78 Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Valve clearance okay but was the cam timing checked via the proper gauge and chain tensioner? Your symptoms are consistent with cam timing being off a little.
I have found the dealers change all 4 cam shafts to remedy the worn lobe issue.
Yes it was checked properly on the last valve check w/ the chain tensioned w/ the tool.

I thought it probably was bum fuel and sure enough after another tank and 3 applications of HEET it's back to instant starts again. I had this happen a while back and it did take a good 3 tanks to clear it all out.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #75 of 78 Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 10:10 pm

This whole cam lobe discussion has me losing sleep. I only have 6,500 on the clock and factory warranty is out, but I have about 18 more months of extended. I know it is early but I am half tempted to pull a valve cover to see how things are going.

2016 R1200RT
2011 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2016 Yamaha Super Tenere ES (sold)
2008 Yamaha Zuma (wife's ride but I maintain)
post #76 of 78 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 6:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by *J*G* View Post
This thread is scaring me.
Where do I go to buy a warranty on a 16 RT with 12k miles?
My dealer carries "RPM One" extended service plans.
post #77 of 78 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfjeff View Post
This whole cam lobe discussion has me losing sleep. I only have 6,500 on the clock and factory warranty is out, but I have about 18 more months of extended. I know it is early but I am half tempted to pull a valve cover to see how things are going.
That sounds like a excellent idea...only take a few minutes...and hopefully you sleep better after...
LAF, PadG and beech like this.
post #78 of 78 Old Aug 4th, 2019, 8:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieflonghair View Post
That sounds like a excellent idea...only take a few minutes...and hopefully you sleep better after...
I was about to say the same thing!!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.) - FOR SALES!
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in